2020 Training Camp Thread

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

He better fight through it, because he's my number one cut target. Keke is on the rise and while I haven't seen much tape from Hester, I'd rather he get a shot at making some plays than Adams.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm with @captainWIMM as for play of Lewis and the TE group as a whole. Between expected and continued growth of Tonyan and Sternbeger plus Deguara now, I would hope Lewis is needed less.

I LOVE what Big Dog gives us and what he still can do, but if this offense is clicking as we all hope his role is lessoned and the other three will be used vastly more. Now that said, I will predict Big Dog will have more targets this year than last for sure. His hands are still good, just attached to a lumbering body.

Unfortunately I don't believe the overall talent level at tight end is the main reason Lewis won't receive more playing time this season. I don't feel confident about his body holding up while getting even more snaps than in 2019.

I'm guessing that you are calculating doing better on the 3rd day by how many players remain with the team. And that would be exactly what I was talking about. Keeping players or adding up playing time does not really evaluate the quality. imho Or how is that being evaluated?

No, take a look at the first post on page three in this thread to understand what I'm talking about.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He better fight through it, because he's my number one cut target. Keke is on the rise and while I haven't seen much tape from Hester, I'd rather he get a shot at making some plays than Adams.

oof carted off for a sprained toe
i didn't even know you could sprain a toe

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Appears Dillon shower his receiving chops day 2, he looked good in limited footage i saw coming into the draft but that was definitely something many had no clue on his ability.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The other, better, Adams fought thru most of last year with one. Lots of people have sprained toes, it hurts more than you'd think

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't believe the overall talent level at tight end is the main reason Lewis won't receive more playing time this season. I don't feel confident about his body holding up while getting even more snaps than in 2019.

No, take a look at the first post on page three in this thread to understand what I'm talking about.
Well, it's good they are at the top...I guess. But the whole thing looks kinda funky.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score

More snaps for Gary today with the 1s. I wonder who works in place of Adams? Hopefully it's Keke.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Have you ever stubbed a toe on a bed post? Have you ever heard of "turf toe"? Turf toe is one kind of toe sprain which can be quite serious. It has in some cases put guys on IR, permanently diminished some players abilities and even prematurely ended some careers. Charles Woodson hardly practiced for most of two years with a lingering turf toe injury. Davante Adams missed 4 games last year with a turf toe injury. Fortunately in both cases neither player appeared to suffer any permanent affects on their play performance. Others have not been so lucky.

As a rule of thumb, when you hear "toe" or "foot" or "ankle" you should be aware that the implications can be serious or even permanent.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

MLF and BG are officially on my shitlist.

That's pretty interesting. Let's break it down. In respect of NFL football as an entertainment there are reasons to be upset with this. In respect of NFL football as a business, there's a question to be asked. What other kind of business allows reporters in the room for operational strategy and tactic sessions, which is a large component of what is being worked out in these practices? None. I suppose you could demand they sign a non-disclosure agreement but then what's the point?

This is not entirely new. Teams, the Packers among them, have run closed practices in the past for the same reasons. This takes it a step further.

At least at this moment in time your Packer brain trust is acting like a business. Whether reporters report or not, there is no direct impact on Packer revenue but it might have some impact on the ability to better execute strategy and tactics on the football field.

Some might express dissatisfaction by not spending money with the Green Bay Packers. If these measures result in more winning, others might spend more money with the Green Bay Packers. From a business standpoint, I suppose the brain trust considers it a worthy trade-off.

For the guys who make their living off clicks I suppose this puts a dent in their business model.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you ever stubbed a toe on a bed post? Have you ever heard of "turf toe"? Turf toe is one kind toe sprain which can be quite serious. It has in some cases put guys on IR, permanently diminished some players abilities and even prematurely ended some careers. Charles Woodson hardly practiced for most of two years with a lingering turf toe injury. Davante Adams missed 4 games last year with a turf toe injury. Fortunately in both cases neither player appeared to suffer any permanent affects on their play performance. Others have not been so lucky.

As a rule of thumb, when you hear "toe" or "foot" or "ankle" you should be aware that the implications can be serious or even permanent.
Sterling Sharpe was a complete stud the year he played almost all the games with turf toe. He never practiced. On a side...it never bothered me one little bit that he did not talk with the press.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That was quick....

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, it's good they are at the top...I guess. But the whole thing looks kinda funky.

Feel free to come up with a better metric to compare the Packers success on day three of the draft to the rest of the league.

With King's contract year, Jackson and Sullivan's progression is CRUCIAL IMO...as I don't think King will be back.

If the Packers let King walk in free agency next offseason we'll be back at spending our first round pick on a cornerback once again :rolleyes:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Feel free to come up with a better metric to compare the Packers success on day three of the draft to the rest of the league.

If the Packers let King walk in free agency next offseason we'll be back at spending our first round pick on a cornerback once again :rolleyes:

Yup, but do you truly think we will resign him? I just don't see him receiving priority over even Jones or Bahk or some others...not to mention you have Jaire coming down pipe as well. King will be an interesting debate to be had, one I sense has a ton of solid arguments on both sides.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if there's a meaningful season, he stays healthy and plays well, I think he's re-signed. injury plagued again, no we won't. No season, who knows

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I can see King playing well enough this season to price himself out of Green Bay. The key will be for the backup CB’s in the depth to improve to the point where you aren’t compelled to have to use a 1st round draft pick on a particular position.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What metric? It's just a list. And probably based (like I said) on how long players stayed on a team and how much playing time they had. Which would not really mean a lot. Though I will say that a guy like Aaron Jones might push us up the ladder quite a bit.

H

HardRightEdge

Appears Dillon shower his receiving chops day 2, he looked good in limited footage i saw coming into the draft but that was definitely something many had no clue on his ability.
As I commented after the draft, his highlight tapes showed a pretty natural catcher of the football. It would appear his college system simply preferred to keep his heavy touch count reserved for pounding the ball.

I hate to say this, and I'd like to be wrong, but to my eye his catching projects to this next level better than his running. :eek:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I commented after the draft, his highlight tapes showed a pretty natural catcher of the football. It would appear his college system simply preferred to keep his heavy touch count reserved for pounding the ball.

I hate to say this, and I'd like to be wrong, but to my eye his catching projects to this next level better than his running. :eek:

Honestly, yes I concur. His running style doesn't fit longevity in the NFL, however if his skills transfer and he can as long as he lasts add catching to the mix; watch out!!!

H

HardRightEdge

Honestly, yes I concur. His running style doesn't fit longevity in the NFL, however if his skills transfer and he can as long as he lasts add catching to the mix; watch out!!!
It's more than longevity. Most of what goes into a good running back shows itself between the time of the snap and the point where he hits the line...patience, timing, vision, setting up blockers, twitching to where the hole develops, minimizing contact in getting to the second level.

The days where the play said, "take the ball and hit the 3 hole," are far in the rear view mirror except for the quick hit short yardage calls. The object is to avoid contact, not knock it down, unless what you're looking for is a guy to run out there on short yardage saying, "just try to stop this," which is dubious proposition to start with. That would be a waste of a 2nd. round draft pick.

We could have gotten a better assessment of the player had there been a preseason. At least that amounts to a college all-star game with some veterans mixed in after the first couple of series. We'll just have to wait for the money games and it won't necessarily be Week 1 for a good look..

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score

D

Deleted member 6794

Yup, but do you truly think we will resign him? I just don't see him receiving priority over even Jones or Bahk or some others...not to mention you have Jaire coming down pipe as well. King will be an interesting debate to be had, one I sense has a ton of solid arguments on both sides.

The Packers will be faced with a tough decision on King next offseason. It's likely that cornerback will once again be a position in need of an upgrade if they let him walk though.

The key will be for the backup CB’s in the depth to improve to the point where you aren’t compelled to have to use a 1st round draft pick on a particular position.

Unfortunately I don't have confidence in any of the other cornerbacks to step up to make up for King's potential departure.

What metric? It's just a list. And probably based (like I said) on how long players stayed on a team and how much playing time they had.

I explained the metric I used to come up with the list in the same post.

Here's a link to explaining it for you once again.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/index37a8.html

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts