2020 Training Camp Thread

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are less than 24 hours to the start of camp, albeit the first week is pretty much just COVID-19 testing. However, it is still the Packers roster back at 1265, I'll take it. Let's see what happens folks.

D

Deleted member 6794

Fingers crossed, I wonder if no preseason will hurt..

The starters hardly played in the preseason anyway resulting in sloppy play during the first few weeks of the regular season.

It will be harder to evaluate players on the roster bubble though.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For players who last year were on the bubble though, COVID-19 could be the best thing. Coaches will most likely go with the known commodity over players they've only seen a handful of times. The 16-man Practice Squad in addition to the 55-man roster should also provide some additional comfort. I'm kind of hoping because of the pandemic the NFL makes an emergency concession of a 60-man roster with a 20-man Practice Squad, because rookies and 2nd year players aren't going to experience nearly the growth they would normally get, and them being back on the street isn't going to do any good either.

D

Deleted member 6794

For players who last year were on the bubble though, COVID-19 could be the best thing. Coaches will most likely go with the known commodity over players they've only seen a handful of times. The 16-man Practice Squad in addition to the 55-man roster should also provide some additional comfort.

The active roster is still limited at 53 players for this season. There were some changes made when promoting practice squad players though.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right, I keep wanting to apply the increase to the game day roster to the active roster as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

Mason Crosby, Jace Sternberger and Treyvon Hester have been placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Last edited by a moderator:

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mason Crosby, Jace Sternberger and Treyvon Hester have been placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Based on present, somewhat limited understanding, this means they either tested positive or where in recent contact with someone who did. Is that accurate?

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have claimed John Lovett off waivers from the Chiefs. He played quarterback at Princeton in college but last year changed position shining at tight end/fullback/special teams/general athlete hybrid during the offseason.

He missed the entire 2019 season because of a shoulder injury suffered in the first preseason game.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have claimed John Lovett off waivers from the Chiefs. He played quarterback at Princeton in college but last year changed position shining at tight end/fullback/special teams/general athlete hybrid during the offseason.

He missed the entire 2019 season because of a shoulder injury suffered in the first preseason game.

MLF and Gute continue in season two of "Seeking Our Very Own Juszczyk".

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welp, that's the 3rd member of Gute's first class to be gone in less than 3 years. The 2018 class overall is not looking good right now....

What sucks is that the 5th Round of the 2018 Draft produced a bit of talent for a mid day three:

140th - Maurice Hurst
142nd - DJ Reed
143rd - Ja'Whaun Bentley
152nd - Dane Cruikshank
154th - Siran Neal
163rd - Tim Settle
170th - Darius Phillips

At least we got MVS at 174th to finish the round out, but we still gotta see what happens this year.

I guess now I also better assume that every year Gute is going to draft/sign a FB now too....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Welp, that's the 3rd member of Gute's first class to be gone in less than 3 years. The 2018 class overall is not looking good right now....

You have to consider that Alexander seems to have the potential to be a stud and that Gutekunst acquired another first rounder in 2019. I agree that the rest of that draft doesn't look promising though.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers placed ILB Curtis Bolton and OL Josh Nijman on the physically unable to perform list as well as G Simon Stepaniak and RB Patrick Taylor on the non-football injury list.

H

HardRightEdge

The following link has a run down on training camp schedules, a "mash up of OTAs and training camp".

Padded practices don't start until 8/17 and run through 9/6. With no rookie camp, not OTAs and no preseason there won't be much opportunity to evaluate rookies. Roster bubble decisions should favors veterans.

For those who believe we'll be seeing a LaFleur run heavy offense :whistling:, there will not be much time to install it and no preseason games to work out the bugs. If it was a dubious proposition to begin with, it is more so now.

For those who believe Jordan Love will be the 2021 starting QB, this schedule amounts to a redshirt year for him without even the benefit of preseason game work. Good luck with that 2021 projection.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-training-camp-amid-covid-19-pandemic-what-you-need-to-know

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to consider that Alexander seems to have the potential to be a stud and that Gutekunst acquired another first rounder in 2019. I agree that the rest of that draft doesn't look promising though.

That may be true, but we can't come away with just 1 or 2 players every draft class. We need to hit on at least a third of each; and by a third, I mean they make it remain in Lambeau for 4-6 years (depending on draft position).

Who from that class will still be on the roster in 2021? Right now, anyone other than Jaire Alexander and possibly JK Scott is a maybe. That's not gonna cut it from 11 picks.

D

Deleted member 6794

That may be true, but we can't come away with just 1 or 2 players every draft class. We need to hit on at least a third of each; and by a third, I mean they make it remain in Lambeau for 4-6 years (depending on draft position).

Who from that class will still be on the roster in 2021? Right now, anyone other than Jaire Alexander and possibly JK Scott is a maybe. That's not gonna cut it from 11 picks.

Once again, I agree that aside of Alexander the players selected by the Packers in the 2018 draft don't seem to have much impact but you have to consider the '19 first rounder Gutekunst received in a trade.

In addition you need to lower your expectations for day three selections.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In addition you need to lower your expectations for day three selections.

I think what you mean to say is "Lower your expectations for Packers GMs to make good Day 3 Selections"

I'm not saying that every Day 3 selection should become a Pro Bowler, but the projection should be, "xxxx player is going to be a good backup xxxx in 2-3 years". If they overachieve, that's extra gravy for us. But we shouldn't be jettisoning these guys at the clip that we do. Every year we get four Day 3 picks by default, and with the Packers particular tradition, we tend to have more. Since 2005 we've actually had a total 104, so that's an average of 6.5 Day 3 selections every year. Without digging too deep, if you examine every draft class in a vacuum, out of that 6.5 average, we struggle to come away with 1 guy who might hang around a few years, but luckily for us that's when they get it VERY right.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The following link has a run down on training camp schedules, a "mash up of OTAs and training camp".

Padded practices don't start until 8/17 and run through 9/6. With no rookie camp, not OTAs and no preseason there won't be much opportunity to evaluate rookies. Roster bubble decisions should favors veterans.

For those who believe we'll be seeing a LaFleur run heavy offense :whistling:, there will not be much time to install it and no preseason games to work out the bugs. If it was a dubious proposition to begin with, it is more so now.

For those who believe Jordan Love will be the 2021 starting QB, this schedule amounts to a redshirt year for him without even the benefit of preseason game work. Good luck with that 2021 projection.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-training-camp-amid-covid-19-pandemic-what-you-need-to-know

To me, this makes Gute look more like an ***/idiot. Granted, I get MLF wants to run the ball more, but at the same time they should have considered the limitations of a season under the current scenario. I'm willing to bet MLF will still try to install some wrinkle of what he had wanted to implement. But the last thing we need is the veterans AND the rookies still not fully understanding how to execute the new system.

The other issue is Aaron Rodgers is the quarterback. I'm confident he'll be calling audibles at least once every drive if he feels like the new stuff either isn't going to work, or won't be executed the right way. They're much better off with the veterans doing what they already know better, and then passing that wisdom on to the rookies. I wasn't going to buy into the MVP hype, but now that I think about it, I kinda could.

H

HardRightEdge

The other issue is Aaron Rodgers is the quarterback. I'm confident he'll be calling audibles at least once every drive if he feels like the new stuff either isn't going to work, or won't be executed the right way.
Audibling is built into the system, believe it or not. He is supposed to do what you describe. I've covered this a couple of times.

This robo-QB concept is dead on arrival no matter what QB or system you're looking at.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

I think what you mean to say is "Lower your expectations for Packers GMs to make good Day 3 Selections"

No, other teams haven't been more successful with day three picks out of the 2018 and '19 draft. Actually MVS is one of the best out of those players.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I'm not saying that every Day 3 selection should become a Pro Bowler, but the projection should be, "xxxx player is going to be a good backup xxxx in 2-3 years". If they overachieve, that's extra gravy for us. But we shouldn't be jettisoning these guys at the clip that we do. Every year we get four Day 3 picks by default, and with the Packers particular tradition, we tend to have more. Since 2005 we've actually had a total 104, so that's an average of 6.5 Day 3 selections every year. Without digging too deep, if you examine every draft class in a vacuum, out of that 6.5 average, we struggle to come away with 1 guy who might hang around a few years, but luckily for us that's when they get it VERY right.
Might as well include all the udfa’s the Packers Signed as well in this statistical analysis as they are all essentially 8th round picks. No different from 7th rounders imo.