2020 Training Camp Thread

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they've got to cut a possible 20+ million off their team cap total for 2021 somewhere. if jackson's finally arrived, and from all reports he's having a fine camp and pettine said yesterday he's working at outside corner only, king could be allowed to walk. same goes for dillon and jones. you guys who want rodgers to stay another year for some reason better hope this happens and that other rookies, and cheap players, step up and displace more expensive players because you can't have it both ways.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they've got to cut a possible 20+ million off their team cap total for 2021 somewhere. if jackson's finally arrived, and from all reports he's having a fine camp and pettine said yesterday he's working at outside corner only, king could be allowed to walk. same goes for dillon and jones. you guys who want rodgers to stay another year for some reason better hope this happens and that other rookies, and cheap players, step up and displace more expensive players because you can't have it both ways.

You bring up yet another reason why it made no sense to skip drafting a corner in the first three rounds... Also, even a declining Rodgers is more valuable than King or Jackson will be. The QB position is that important and Love is not close to being a starting caliber NFL QB; Packers drafted him for the flashes he showed and his physical traits, it's going to take time for him to get the decision making part down.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sums things up pretty well and points to yet another problem with the last draft, no CBs. As you aptly point out, or infer, it’s gonna be tough to keep either Jones or King after this season. They can’t let Bakh walk, and that’s gonna be a big contract.

As for the QB position, well, I’m still confused by the trade up for Love. Does the FO really expect Rodgers to decline that far, that fast? Yeah he’s not as sharp as he was in 2014, but I believe he’s still among the top five players at the most important position, QB.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers most likely will have to restructure some contracts next offseason to re-sign some of their free agents as well as having a chance to be active in free agency.

Releasing Rodgers to save $5 million of cap space would be the most stupid idea in a long time though.

The QB position is that important and Love is not close to being a starting caliber NFL QB; Packers drafted him for the flashes he showed and his physical traits, it's going to take time for him to get the decision making part down.

If that ever happens at all.

They can’t let Bakh walk, and that’s gonna be a big contract.

That depends on if Bakhtiari's back holds up this year. I don't expect the Packers to offer him an extension before the end of the 2020 season.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers most likely will have to restructure some contracts next offseason to re-sign some of their free agents as well as having a chance to be active in free agency.

Releasing Rodgers to save $5 million of cap space would be the most stupid idea in a long time though.

That depends on if Bakhtiari's back holds up this year. I don't expect the Packers to offer him an extension before the end of the 2020 season.
We will see about Bakhtiari. Only the insiders know the medical status and clearly that is a major factor in any player’s contract decision by Mgmt.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Hearing more good reports about Jackson, Gary, Scantling, St.Brown and Tonyan.

Keke apparently needs to be more consistent.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Has he had back problems in past years? I think he has. So yeah, not much point giving him a big contract if he’s starting to break down. The OL is a tough position to play well past age 30.

D

Deleted member 6794

Only the insiders know the medical status and clearly that is a major factor in any player’s contract decision by Mgmt.

That's definitely true but I don't expect the Packers to offer Bakhtiari an extension before management is convinced that his back issues don't develop into a chronic problem.

Has he had back problems in past years?

I don't believe Bakhtiari had back issues before last season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's definitely true but I don't expect the Packers to offer Bakhtiari an extension before management is convinced that his back issues don't develop into a chronic problem.

I don't believe Bakhtiari had back issues before last season.

Wasn't the only other "injury" of significance a knee or hip or something a few years back?

D

Deleted member 6794

Wasn't the only other "injury" of significance a knee or hip or something a few years back?

Bakhtiari missed four games in 2017 because of a hamstring injury as well as three contests in '15 with an ankle issue.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

covid is ******** things for 4 years starting 2021. restructuring gets them nothing if rodgers is eating up those cap savings. it's not the $5m in 2021 that rodgers absence helps this rebuilding team the most...it's the $40 million-ish in 2022 alone and beyond. his cap hit beyond this season is untenable. pushing ANY of his money back is insane. paying him in 2021 and slashing that $40m by more than half is just as insane.
Sums things up pretty well and points to yet another problem with the last draft, no CBs. As you aptly point out, or infer, it’s gonna be tough to keep either Jones or King after this season. They can’t let Bakh walk, and that’s gonna be a big contract.

As for the QB position, well, I’m still confused by the trade up for Love. Does the FO really expect Rodgers to decline that far, that fast? Yeah he’s not as sharp as he was in 2014, but I believe he’s still among the top five players at the most important position, QB.
i think they think they're good at cb for awhile.
2021 will be the dicey year but if rodgers is gone, 2022 and beyond is all good. it all depends on how they structure anyone they extend and what the actual cap turns out to be for the next 4 years. there's the compensatory pick they'll get for jones too to consider if they can't extend him.
Love was chosen because they're looking beyond this year. they know a SB is a near impossibility, they know rodgers doesn't like the real offense, and they've realized in hindsight his extension was a mistake (in dollars and timing), it just didn't work out like they'd hoped, and it's now hurting the team.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love was chosen because they're looking beyond this year. they know a SB is a near impossibility, they know rodgers doesn't like the real offense, and they've realized in hindsight his extension was a mistake (in dollars and timing), it just didn't work out like they'd hoped, and it's now hurting the team.

I like that you had the balls to say that. It's a perspective that while unsavory in my own opinion is still somewhat warranted. The Packers have a few key pieces here and there that don't "gel" to say the least.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I do agree that a near-term SB would require an insane amount of luck (both good luck for the Packers and bad lucks for 5-6 other teams) I don't think the mistake was extending Rodgers, it was sticking with a failing front office and a coach that didn't seem motivated to improve. The Packers' offense currently has exactly one proven receiver, zero proven TEs (Lewis was a decent receiver years ago but that's not really the case anymore); much of the decline in the passing game can be attributed to that. I mean, let's remember that the Packers featured a group of receivers lead by Allen Lazard and Geronimo Allison for a quarter of the season while Adams was out in 2019; the leading receiver on the team over those weeks was the RB!

Finally, you say his extension was a mistake but you need to follow that thought by answering the question, "who would be the Packers QB this year if the Packers had not extended him?" There's no way Brady was coming to Green Bay, so are you saying the Packers should have signed Newton, Rivers, or Bridgewater while Love was being developed? You can't just say "signing this player was a mistake" without looking into how NOT signing that player affects the team's choices going forward. The one option that might work from a fan's perspective is franchising him but I really think people that advocate that route ignore the message that that sends to the locker room. Players like to believe that teams reward performance and, as most humans, would prefer not to work for a team that they view as cold and heartless (the one exception is when the team has the best coach in NFL history).

Rodgers is no longer the QB he was when he was younger but Ted did very little to help build the offense, focusing instead on drafting underwhelming defensive players, and keeping a coach who didn't appear to be willing to modernize his coaching (he finally started to do so his last year in GB but he'd wasted 3-4 seasons before that). Rodgers' leading receivers over the last two seasons are Adams (twice), Jimmy Graham, Allen Lazard, and MVS. Just look at another aging QB in Drew Brees; Brees has been better over the past couple of years but not by much and Brees has had the advantage of better coaching, better receiving options (Thomas, Kamara, and Cook beat Adams, Graham, and MVS). What's disappointing is that the Packers appear to be trying to build the 2018 Titans' offense rather than something more like the Saints' offense (if they go this route then you will be correct because the Packers will have absolutely wasted Rodgers' final years in Green Bay).

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Feel free to come up with a better metric to compare the Packers success on day three of the draft to the rest of the league.

If the Packers let King walk in free agency next offseason we'll be back at spending our first round pick on a cornerback once again :rolleyes:
CBS take a while to develope....

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Some good stuff in there.

shielding my wheaties......

D

Deleted member 6794

covid is ******** things for 4 years starting 2021. restructuring gets them nothing if rodgers is eating up those cap savings. it's not the $5m in 2021 that rodgers absence helps this rebuilding team the most...it's the $40 million-ish in 2022 alone and beyond.

The Packers aren't a rebuilding team though. It seems you continue to ignore they made it to the NFCCG last season.

i think they think they're good at cb for awhile.

Really??? If the Packers let King walk next offseason the depth chart includes Alexander and several JAGs.

2021 will be the dicey year but if rodgers is gone, 2022 and beyond is all good.

Aside of the fact that the team might lack a decent quarterback of course.

Once again you act as if it's a fact that Rodgers doesn't like to run MLF's offense despite a complete lack of evidence. Gutekunst tried to outsmart everybody by trading up for Love, hoping it will turn out like Thompson selecting Rodgers 15 years ago.

That might end up costing him his job though.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers aren't a rebuilding team though. It seems you continue to ignore they made it to the NFCCG last season.
that was a fluke and you know it. they're pretty good but not perennial nfccg good.

Really??? If the Packers let King walk next offseason the depth chart includes Alexander and several JAGs.
yes. i really think they think they're good there. time will tell. if they want king they can structure his contract the way they did clarks...with the big hits coming in 2022 when they'll have lots of cap room. same goes for jones.

Aside of the fact that the team might lack a decent quarterback of course.

maybe but over that time whoever the qb is...the SB wins will still equal zero. so how do you want your zero served to you? cap-strapped or with extra space on the side?

Once again you act as if it's a fact that Rodgers doesn't like to run MLF's offense despite a complete lack of evidence. Gutekunst tried to outsmart everybody by trading up for Love, hoping it will turn out like Thompson selecting Rodgers 15 years ago.

That might end up costing him his job though.
the evidence is they don't run MLF's complete O. lol.
let's keep our fingers crossed that Gute did outsmart everyone.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The "evidence" is the fabricated bias in your own head.

Dismissing results as a "fluke" is as rich as it gets for haters like you. Hell, for that matter, any level of success the team achieves will be a fluke, and if they miss the playoffs, you can say "see, I told you".

It must be fun living in an alternate, fabricated reality in your own brain where you're never wrong about anything. What was it you predicted last year? 8-8? Oh but...you weren't wrong about the premise of your prediction because it was "flukey". lmao.

And if the Packers attain the same level of success this year, I'm sure it'll be a fluke again.

Same old song and dance.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder....would captain hold more merit to the opinion of gbgary or reports from camp?? That would be quite the conundrum LOL (all in good fun)

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The "evidence" is the fabricated bias in your own head.

Dismissing results as a "fluke" is as rich as it gets for haters like you. Hell, for that matter, any level of success the team achieves will be a fluke, and if they miss the playoffs, you can say "see, I told you".

It must be fun living in an alternate, fabricated reality in your own brain where you're never wrong about anything. What was it you predicted last year? 8-8? Oh but...you weren't wrong about the premise of your prediction because it was "flukey". lmao.

And if the Packers attain the same level of success this year, I'm sure it'll be a fluke again.

Same old song and dance.
9-7 i believe. everyone, except you cheerleaders, agree the 13-3 was not reflective of how they played. everything fell their way from a lack of key injuries to playing kc without mahomes. beating det twice with 0:00 on the clock without their QB1 in one game. i'm not a hater. i love the Packers. i'm glad they overachieved except that it hurt their draft position. a problem they had to give up a 4th to correct.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
9-7 i believe. everyone, except you cheerleaders, agree the 13-3 was not reflective of how they played. everything fell their way from a lack of key injuries to playing kc without mahomes. beating det twice with 0:00 on the clock without their QB1 in one game. i'm not a hater. i love the Packers. i'm glad they overachieved except that it hurt their draft position. a problem they had to give up a 4th to correct.
Not to mention one of the cheerleaders tripped Allen Robinson on his way into the end zone in the Bears game that cost them the win. But that was only before the guy in section 118 shot a lawn dart into his foot which resulted in him not being able to play the rest of the game.

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting at the moment.

D

Deleted member 6794

that was a fluke and you know it. they're pretty good but not perennial nfccg good.

No team in the NFL is perennial championship game good, not even the Patriots. The Packers made it to the NFCCG last season though, that's a fact you can't argue.

i really think they think they're good there.

It would be smart if you stick to what you think.

maybe but over that time whoever the qb is...the SB wins will still equal zero.

If the Packers end up not winning another Super Bowl with Rodgers the blame solely falls on the front office for not surrounding him with enough talent. I haven't given up on them bringing home another Lombardi over the next few years though.

There's not any evidence to support that claim.

let's keep our fingers crossed that Gute did outsmart everyone.

Unfortunately I don't believe it will end up that way.

I wonder....would captain hold more merit to the opinion of gbgary or reports from camp?? That would be quite the conundrum LOL (all in good fun)

9-7 i believe. everyone, except you cheerleaders, agree the 13-3 was not reflective of how they played.

Actually the record is the only single metric reflecting the performance of a team.

Latest posts