2020 Training Camp Thread

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Brown being Brown and Gordon being Gordon are not enough reasons to steer clear, how about Brown being suspended for the first 8 games and Gordon suspended indefinitely?

Dez Bryant. What can we say? He's not suspended so he has that going for him. :whistling: He started slipping after his 2015 foot and ankle surgery, hasn't played since 2017, and is coming up on age 32. Players who retire then try to come back don't fare too well. Sitting out two years makes it worse.

Again, I'm not advocating for either, but if I'm going to kick those tires I for sure am calling Gordon first, honestly me probably Dez second and the abuser last.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dez Bryant. What can we say? He's not suspended so he has that going for him. :whistling: He started slipping after his 2015 foot and ankle surgery, hasn't played since 2017, and is coming up on age 32. Players who retire then try to come back don't fare too well. Sitting out two years makes it worse.

I'd take a "has been" over a "never was", but that's just me. If they give Dez a workout, they'll know immediately if he's got the goods or not.

Let's be honest, if this had been a "regular offseason" the Packers would go through 10 Day 3/UDFA WRs before settling on the "best of the rest"....is Dez Bryant being an option so unthinkable for these guys? The guy's desperate to play, Russ Ball could probably just comp his meals and hotel rooms for the season and he'd ink up.

In other news, Gute searching for answers along the front 7....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

H

HardRightEdge

I'd take a "has been" over a "never was", but that's just me. If they give Dez a workout, they'll know immediately if he's got the goods or not.
Well, there are the "never were" that might be the "haven't been yet" and I'll take those over a washed up Dez Bryant who, if we're looking at this clearly, might be in it just for the paycheck. Besides, a workout is hardly sufficient to know if he "has the goods".

Besides, why would you be so desperate for a "has been" WR if you're going to run the ball half the time :whistling:. Adams, Lazard, et. al. and the umpteen tight ends on the field and 4 RBs who can catch the ball would do. You should want a WR who can block. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus, rules this year are different, only guys you can bring in are guys you plan on signing. You can't bring someone in for a tryout; if they come in and pass the physical, I believe the team has to sign them.

H

HardRightEdge

Plus, rules this year are different, only guys you can bring in are guys you plan on signing. You can't bring someone in for a tryout; if they come in and pass the physical, I believe the team has to sign them.
That ended on August 11. Free agent workouts are back to business as usual.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm almost ready to write of Josh Jackson he's not been playing good at all in camp from what I've heard

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm telling you guys, I wasn't joking when I said after the top couple, Hanson was my circled guy at C for a hopeful Linsley replacement of the future. Patrick will be a our new Lane Taylor type I think and always a possible C answer if Hanson doesn't progress.

Hanson is MUCH better than many give credit to him for.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oren Burks has been lining up with the starters. Here is a good article from ESPN on the injury he played through last year.

"Oren Burks couldn’t bench press 135 pounds. Forget the 18 reps of 225 pounds he did at the combine in 2018 right before the Green Bay Packers drafted him in the third round; he couldn’t even get the bar plus two 45-pound plates off his chest in March."

https://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay...-free-charm-for-packers-linebacker-oren-burks
that's gonna limit a guy trying to keep 300lber's off him so he can go make a tackle

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oren Burks has been lining up with the starters. Here is a good article from ESPN on the injury he played through last year.

"Oren Burks couldn’t bench press 135 pounds. Forget the 18 reps of 225 pounds he did at the combine in 2018 right before the Green Bay Packers drafted him in the third round; he couldn’t even get the bar plus two 45-pound plates off his chest in March."

https://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay...-free-charm-for-packers-linebacker-oren-burks

I mean geeesh.....that torn pec would rip anyone's ability. Let's all collectively hope his potential and health intersect and we finally get a glimpse of what we all kept HOPING would come to be.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know, just saying that injury was much worse than I thought if true and it's hardly a wonder he didn't see the field much last year.

I dislocated my collar bone in high school which is not as serious of injury and I went from benching a weight 10 times to 1 time. The lack of strength was incredibly noticeable while competing and I was constantly trying to find ways to not use that side of my upper body. I can't imagine doing that in a league like the nfl

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is impressive he still managed to contribute on special teams as he did...I tip my hat to him...but I also know if he cannot stay healthy I don't want him back in green bay once contract is up.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's hard to know because while Adams is out there....Lewis and Tonyan aren't known as our prolific pass catchers. Can it work? Absolutely, but Lewis' and Tonyan's snaps would go way up.

Lewis already played 45% of the snaps last season, I don't see that number increasing in 2020. Sternberger or Tonyan stepping up as receivers would go a long way in the pass offense improving but I'm skeptical about that happening.

Football teams are not made by impact players alone. 3rd day picks are important because it boosts the overall quality of your club. Including special teams and backups. And if you are using 3rd day picks for backups then you are more or less stuck with what you chose while the next year you try and shore up other positions with 3rd day picks. Bunches of bad 3rd day picks leave your team lacking while teams that draft well there stay good.

You fail to understand that the Packers have done better than every other team in the league on day three of the draft over the past 10 years. Of course it would be awesome if more of them had worked out but that's completely unrealistic to expect.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with @captainWIMM as for play of Lewis and the TE group as a whole. Between expected and continued growth of Tonyan and Sternbeger plus Deguara now, I would hope Lewis is needed less.

I LOVE what Big Dog gives us and what he still can do, but if this offense is clicking as we all hope his role is lessoned and the other three will be used vastly more. Now that said, I will predict Big Dog will have more targets this year than last for sure. His hands are still good, just attached to a lumbering body.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You fail to understand that the Packers have done better than every other team in the league on day three of the draft over the past 10 years. Of course it would be awesome if more of them had worked out but that's completely unrealistic to expect.
I'm guessing that you are calculating doing better on the 3rd day by how many players remain with the team. And that would be exactly what I was talking about. Keeping players or adding up playing time does not really evaluate the quality. imho Or how is that being evaluated?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
montravius adams appears to have sustained some sort of leg injury and was carted off in practice

Members online

Latest posts