2020 Roster: 53 Man & Practice Squad

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been asking for Snacks for a long time. Love it if they could make something happen.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Maybe this was mentioned in another thread at some point, since its old news. The Packers evidently did make an offer to Snacks quite some time ago. Maybe its back on the table?

https://dairylandexpress.com/2020/0...-reportedly-offered-snacks-harrison-contract/
Well, going to @snacks and reading down a bit, we see he qualified "They have" with "Meaning at one point. Not sure about recently. I don’t know the team names of recent." So it doesn't look like there's anything new here.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Snack's age, it wouldn't surprise me we roll into Week 1 as-is and back fill some cheap vets later. If necessary. Why?

1. Give your kids a chance to shine. Maybe you're super nervous about DL, but this is the year M. Adams (I doubt it) has the light go on. And it turns out Amos gets hurt and we need a replacement SS. In general, it's good to be patient.

2. Vested vets and guaranteed salary. If a vested vet is on the roster week 1, he gets his full base salary and the full cap hit. Sign him after week 1, and it's a week to week proposition. Maybe he really is over the hill and only has 3 weeks left in him. Use him for three, cut him, and get some cap relief. Or there are strange injuries or other oddities that require you to cut him to make cap space.

Signing old, fill-in vets makes sense after week 1 for a lot of reasons.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
With Snack's age, it wouldn't surprise me we roll into Week 1 as-is and back fill some cheap vets later. If necessary. Why?

1. Give your kids a chance to shine. Maybe you're super nervous about DL, but this is the year M. Adams (I doubt it) has the light go on. And it turns out Amos gets hurt and we need a replacement SS. In general, it's good to be patient.

2. Vested vets and guaranteed salary. If a vested vet is on the roster week 1, he gets his full base salary and the full cap hit. Sign him after week 1, and it's a week to week proposition. Maybe he really is over the hill and only has 3 weeks left in him. Use him for three, cut him, and get some cap relief. Or there are strange injuries or other oddities that require you to cut him to make cap space.

Signing old, fill-in vets makes sense after week 1 for a lot of reasons.
Totally agree. Give the young guys a chance to show where they are. If they fail miserably, then go out and get someone.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should probably note Funchess on Reserve/Opt Out. He could change his mind at some point for whatever reason. Markakis of the Braves did just that. There may be other examples.

“Sitting at home, watching these guys compete ... and all the risks they’re going through going out there, in the pit of my stomach I felt I wanted to be out there,” Markakis said.

It'd be like what Keith Jackson pulled on us in the mid 90's but for a good reason this time.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daylon Mack (NT) signed to the 53.

Talented, but he's been on a lot of teams already for a young guy.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daylon Mack (NT) signed to the 53.

Talented, but he's been on a lot of teams already for a young guy.

My bad. He's being signed to the practice squad along with Dexter Williams.

Alex Light and Damarea Crockett got cut.

Still only 52 players on the roster. Room for one more!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
My bad. He's being signed to the practice squad along with Dexter Williams.

Alex Light and Damarea Crockett got cut.

Still only 52 players on the roster. Room for one more!
Good approach in my opinion to leave options open for a potential addition to round out the roster. They probably are in discussions with multiple unsigned players. Maybe there is a Bruce Wilkerson type of guy lurking out there yet.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

ILB Kyre Barnes has been elevated from the PS filling the 53rd. roster spot.

TE/FB John Lovett and OLB Tipa Galeai are temp elevations from the practice squad for this week, players 54 and 55. That means 8 OLs must be game day active this week. I'm not sure of the point of these elevations; it's hard to see how or why they'd be game day active.

There's one open spot on the practice squad which will likely be a revolving door anyway. A bunch of guys are in for workouts, including 5 year vet DL Billy Winn.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ILB Kyre Barnes has been elevated from the PS filling the 53rd. roster spot.
TE/FB John Lovett and OLB Tipa Galeai are temp elevations from the practice squad for this week, players 54 and 55. That means 8 OLs must be game day active this week. I'm not sure of the point of these elevations; it's hard to see how or why they'd be game day active.

If they're going to elevate, I'd almost assume they'll be active. Special teams fill-ins?

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

If they're going to elevate, I'd almost assume they'll be active. Special teams fill-ins?
I assume so. Carry the 8 OLs which permits bumping the game day actives from 47 to 48 and put these guys on the game day roster. I suppose with Ramsey out and Burks coming off a groin injury they see themselves short on the TE/FB/LB types for special teams.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

It looks like we've come to the end of the Daylon Mack era. Demovsky reports from espn.com:

"Two apparent practice squad additions: Rookie OT Ryan Pope (78) and veteran DE Billy Winn (93), who has played in 68 career games for the Browns, Broncos and Colts. Packers had one open spot on the practice squad and DT Dayton Mack appears to be gone."

You may not find it in the following link if it rolls off his blog postings but I've been advised in the past that such links are required as silly as that may seem:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/gb/green-bay-packers

Billy Winn is eligible for the PS under the new rules whereby guys with unlimited accrued seasons can be signed to the PS. The way things are going these guys might be game day active this week.

D

Deleted member 6794

May add one of the kickers to PS in case Crosby gets ill or injured.

It's not smart to spend a roster spot, even if it's only on the practice squad, on a backup kicker. The Packers could sign one immediately if Crosby misses time.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PS squads are exapanded, they're probably keeping people rotating on there to get looks etc not just build players. They're also building a list based on in house work, from which to look in the future.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not smart to spend a roster spot, even if it's only on the practice squad, on a backup kicker. The Packers could sign one immediately if Crosby misses time.
I don't think it is completely stupid. What if Crosby got hurt the day before the game? They must have tried out Scott. Maybe he could kick in a pinch.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

May add one of the kickers to PS in case Crosby gets ill or injured.
I kinda doubt it. It is prudent to keep a short list of available kickers, punters and long snappers in the event of injury with the added factor of a Covid positive test.

The likely scenario in working out kickers and punters over the last few weeks is that the guys at the top of the short list got signed elsewhere or they're looking to see if they can upgrade the list.

Having a guy on the PS affords very limited protection against another team signing him away to their active roster even with Covid provisions.

Whatever one might think about Gutekunst, he's always on the hunt for players on the cheap, to upgrade the PS or to build lists if needs arise. Without actually counting, Gutekunst may work out more players in-season in one year than Thompson in a decade. Pro Personnel scouts are earning their in-season paychecks.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think it is completely stupid. What if Crosby got hurt the day before the game? They must have tried out Scott. Maybe he could kick in a pinch.

I don't think it would be completely stupid to sign a kicker to the practice squad either but it would be smarter to spend the spot on another position.

Gutekunst could sign a kicker in a heartbeat if Crosby gets injured.

Members online

Latest posts