2020 Offseason

D

Deleted member 6794

He seems like a route runner and possession type of WR like Jordy/JJ we will still need a speed guy too.

https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/...on-s-record-year-in-CFL-opens-up-14950032.php

The signing of a CFL receiver, albeit a pretty good one this season, doesn't change a whole lot about the Packers need to improve at the position.

Why is that?

Come on, you're well aware that some of the players currently headed towards free agency will be re-signed by their respective teams while others will be available via trade or surprisingly released before the start of the new league year.

the Packers are a philosophy change and 2 or 3 players away from having a legit chance in 2020 since the cap situation is no longer so dire. parting with productive players isn't a good way to enhance that. be careful who you want to see gone. 31 other teams are out there looking too, and pinning hopes on the draft is unrealistic and a long term thing anyway. there is no long term when you're in win-now mode.

Why on earth do you think the Packers need a philosophy change after finishing the season 13-3???

It's true they need to improve the talent level at some positions but holding to Graham wouldn't be a smart move.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
the Packers are a philosophy change and 2 or 3 players away from having a legit chance in 2020 since the cap situation is no longer so dire. parting with productive players isn't a good way to enhance that. be careful who you want to see gone. 31 other teams are out there looking too, and pinning hopes on the draft is unrealistic and a long term thing anyway. there is no long term when you're in win-now mode.
Why on earth do you think the Packers need a philosophy change after finishing the season 13-3???

It's true they need to improve the talent level at some positions but holding to Graham wouldn't be a smart move.
I'm convinced he would say the exact same BS if the team were to in fact go on to win the Super Bowl this year.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Come on, you're well aware that some of the players currently headed towards free agency will be re-signed by their respective teams while others will be available via trade or surprisingly released before the start of the new league year.

That's true, however at TE it's not very complicated. Henry and Hooper are the two names that matter in terms of receiving extensions. So say that they stick with their respective teams-- who are we signing to replace Graham?

D

Deleted member 6794

That's true, however at TE it's not very complicated. Henry and Hooper are the two names that matter in terms of receiving extensions. So say that they stick with their respective teams-- who are we signing to replace Graham?

Hooper is the one the Packers should be interested in, I will think about an alternative once the Falcons figure out a way to re-sign him.

H

HardRightEdge

Releasing Graham and Taylor would create just over 12M in additional cap space, bringing the total to ~52M. If they feel more is needed, they may release Linsley to bring the total to something in the neighborhood of 60M.
Those numbers are two high.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tight ends take a couple of seasons to develop into impact players. Therefore I would prefer to address the position in free agency.

It's way too early to talk about who might be available in March.

I believe what you're trying to say here, is that you have no idea who is/isn't available, and are talking out your *** a bit. It's perfectly fine to say that certain players won't work, but you won't even speculate on who you think will?

C'mon, just follow the PFF rankings!

H

HardRightEdge

I just read something that says we are currently at $32.3M. So releasing Jimmy G saves us $8M and Taylor $4.612. Quick Math, those 2 moves alone would have us at almost $45M
I have a breakdown in a new thread. Debate that.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I didn't realize that the current cap figures already include the 11.4M from Rodgers' restructure.

So 32M (figuring on a 200M ceiling) plus 12.6 would be 44.6M. If they decide to let Linsley go, then you'd be in the neighborhood of 53M.

H

HardRightEdge

I didn't realize that the current cap figures already include the 11.4M from Rodgers' restructure.

So 32M (figuring on a 200M ceiling) plus 12.6 would be 44.6M. If they decide to let Linsley go, then you'd be in the neighborhood of 53M.
That's right close enough for government work. $53 mil in cap after subracting Graham, Linsley and Taylor. That would be with 40 players under contract, so that's obviously not free agent "working capital".

The 10 draftees would count arount $7.5 mil against the cap. Add 3 more minimum salary rookies at $1.5 mil to get to 53. Practice squad is going to be about $1.5 mil. $2- $3 mil for injury replacement contingencies.

That's $13 mil in subtractions to get to a working number for free agency of $40 mil. And do you really want to spend all that, leaving no carryover to 2021, with a more critical free agency class in 2021 and key player cap costs going up and up, $50 mil over this year for those same 6 players? I don't think so.

I think there's room for two name signings, with some left over for backfilling with some current vet FAs, Tramon Williams, Lewis (if that big ticket TE who can block is not signed) Ervin, Veldheer and Crosby would be some possibilities if the prices are right.

No matter how you cut it, stacking drafts is essential, and not the kind where you end up waiting for some "3rd. year jump".

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

I believe what you're trying to say here, is that you have no idea who is/isn't available, and are talking out your *** a bit.

Of course I don't have any idea which players currently set to become free agents will be available in March, neither do you. If you want to spend your time on speculating who of these guys might fit into the Packers system go ahead but I don't care about putting any effort into it.

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be down to get all these guys, resign Martinez and Bulaga, and only draft inside linebackers lol

Curious to why GB should resign Martinez? It's like staying in a bad relationship for multiple years expecting change. You are going to get the same results. IF GB resigns him, zero chance of making the Superbowl, teams will continue to run all over us as he leads the league in tackles. No instincts, hustle, can't shed a block, not good at anything. I would have more faith with Jimmy starting at TE next season and I hope GB releases him.

Resigning Martinez is basically wasting Rodgers time., might as well retire.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm convinced he would say the exact same BS if the team were to in fact go on to win the Super Bowl this year.
what's BS about what i said? they are 2 or 3 guys away, getting rid (cutting/not resigning) of productive players (bulaga, martinez, graham, crosby) could be counter productive, hoping the draft is the answer is a roll of the dice (especially in win-now mode), and yes a philosophy change (dumping the rest of the mccarthy offense that's messing up the O) is legit. 13-3 was fantastic but it was by pure luck that they got there considering the way they played. they were remarkably lucky in the injury department and facing teams that were injury depleted when they played them.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Curious to why GB should resign Martinez? It's like staying in a bad relationship for multiple years expecting change. You are going to get the same results. IF GB resigns him, zero chance of making the Superbowl, teams will continue to run all over us as he leads the league in tackles. No instincts, hustle, can't shed a block, not good at anything. I would have more faith with Jimmy starting at TE next season and I hope GB releases him.

Resigning Martinez is basically wasting Rodgers time., might as well retire.

There is for sure a price point where having Martinez back would make sense. However, his price without taking a HUGE Packers discount is going to demand well above what about 99.9% of folks here would say unbiasly he would be worth the money.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3. Resign Bulaga, Martinez, Crosby, Goodson, Tramon, and Big Dog in that order of necessity. Bulaga and Martinez could take some money but the others could be very team friendly deals.

I don't think Martinez will be open to a financially appropriate contract in GB. I could be wrong on that, but I wouldn't bank on it.

4. Sign a WR in FA to combo with Adams. I’d love to Cooper from Dallas but Green from Cincy is probably more realistic. Get him out of that mess and too a contender and hope he stays healthy.

We just signed one of the CFL's best WRs to a futures contract and I think we can get better value with our FA dollars focusing on DL and ILB and then focus on WR in the draft.

5. Draft is open for BPA at this point. Would love another WR weapon. Could use a big play threat slot receiver. Love Shenault from Colorado for MLF to get creative. Cover LB would be nice, more depth at safety and corner, a big run stuffing DL, and more OL depth is always good. Also a developmental QB would be worth a mid round pick.

We don't have the draft capital to get to Shenault unfortunately. There will be someone there at #30 for sure and might actually have the pick of the litter at RB (Please no J. Taylor) I'm thinking we can grab 3 offensive weapons in the 1st three rounds then go BPA from there.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be down to get all these guys, resign Martinez and Bulaga, and only draft inside linebackers lol
I'd stay away from FA WRs, they will be mostly overpriced. The draft is deep there, stick with our D in FA unless an upgrade at TE comes available. They go Offensive Weapon happy with the 1st three rounds of the draft.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No sense letting Linsley go if you can't replace is talent.

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is for sure a price point where having Martinez back would make sense. However, his price without taking a HUGE Packers discount is going to demand well above what about 99.9% of folks here would say unbiasly he would be worth the money.

Why does price matter? You are still going to get the same results with Martinez. I don't want him on the field unless he was back up and that's not possible.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
No sense letting Linsley go if you can't replace is talent.

But if they feel that they can, then the sense in letting him go is the cap flexibility it provides.

Hypothetically, if they look at the market and see a guy like Hunter Henry available and have a choice between letting Linsley play the last year of his deal or signing Henry for the next four, the latter is probably more attractive to them. And if they look at Patrick and think that they can draft a center on day 2 or 3 of the draft and between the two options, replace Linsley then obviously the move makes sense.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Why does price matter? You are still going to get the same results with Martinez. I don't want him on the field unless he was back up and that's not possible.

This.

Martinez limits the defense. His inability to excel in any facet makes the defense imbalanced. I don't want him back as a starter at any price.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't have the draft capital to get to Shenault unfortunately. There will be someone there at #30 for sure and might actually have the pick of the litter at RB (Please no J. Taylor) I'm thinking we can grab 3 offensive weapons in the 1st three rounds then go BPA from there.

Shenault might very well be there, though projecting WRs before the combine is just a fun exercise with no basis in reality. If Shenault isn't there then the Packers will almost certainly have a shot at Ruggs/Higgins/Reagor/Aiyuk (not sure I trust that last one though). I would be ecstatic for the Packers to draft a WR in the first round but the team still needs help in other places on defense and if they draft a RB in the first 2 rounds I'll be very annoyed.

H

HardRightEdge

Of course I don't have any idea which players currently set to become free agents will be available in March, neither do you. If you want to spend your time on speculating who of these guys might fit into the Packers system go ahead but I don't care about putting any effort into it.
That's a reasonable stance. We can name names with projected costs that fit priorities and available capital, but it is a landscape of shifting sands.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Oh stop...if you could have a solid one tactic ILB that is literally the Green Bay season tackle record holder for like $4Million a year it would only take someone incredibly ignorant or foolish to not do it. Shooot....many would argue a million or so more it would be worth it for him...no worries though he will garner far more in a system that fits him much better. This doesn't stop you from still upgrading elsewhere as well (draft or FA) over him either. No one is arguing keep him as the sole ILB, but at a price it would be ignorant not to resign.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh stop...if you could have a solid one tactic ILB that is literally the Green Bay season tackle record holder for like $4Million a year it would only take someone incredibly ignorant or foolish to not do it. Shooot....many would argue a million or so more it would be worth it for him...no worries though he will garner far more in a system that fits him much better. This doesn't stop you from still upgrading elsewhere as well (draft or FA) over him either. No one is arguing keep him as the sole ILB, but at a price it would be ignorant not to resign.
I agree with Calvin.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys are telling me if Blake Martinez would come back for a measely 1.5Million a year and be your #2 ILB you wouldn't take that? Honestly?

Members online

Latest posts