2020 Offseason

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the big break due to the bye and the recent news of Rodgers restructure and Patrick extension I started thinking of all our possibilities for this offseason. I think we have a shot at the Super Bowl this year but I feel like next year is when we are ALL IN! Another year for everyone to figure our MLF’s system and another FA and draft season for Gute to fill out this roster. So here is my blueprint for our 2020 championship run.

1. Cut Jimmy and Lane Taylor. More money to spend with nothing lost on the field.
2. Extend Kenny Clark. PAY THE BIG MAN!
3. Resign Bulaga, Martinez, Crosby, Goodson, Tramon, and Big Dog in that order of necessity. Bulaga and Martinez could take some money but the others could be very team friendly deals.
4. Sign a WR in FA to combo with Adams. I’d love to Cooper from Dallas but Green from Cincy is probably more realistic. Get him out of that mess and too a contender and hope he stays healthy.
5. Draft is open for BPA at this point. Would love another WR weapon. Could use a big play threat slot receiver. Love Shenault from Colorado for MLF to get creative. Cover LB would be nice, more depth at safety and corner, a big run stuffing DL, and more OL depth is always good. Also a developmental QB would be worth a mid round pick.

I feel like this is a realistic blue print to sure up a couple of our weak spots and improve an already very good team and win back to back Super Bowls in 2020
Number 2 is paramount. Then I'd like to resign one out of Bulaga or Martinez. Adjust our offseason targets accordingly. WR market is bare so we will definitely have to pick early there in the draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

Kyle Rudolph: The Vikings, hilariously, have the least amount of cap space available heading into this offseason at -4.3M. Cutting Rudolph now would save a little in the short term and a lot in the long term. Rudolph would be the perfect TE2 as a great blocker who poses some threat as a receiver.

I don't think the Packers should spent several millions a season on a TE2.

isocleas2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In Lafleur's offense isn't the TE2 is supposed to get significant playing time?

Considering the Packers dont have a current or future TE1 on the roster (MAYBE Sternberger) they probably should invest hard in the Tight end position. The upcoming draft is kind of weak on sure fire TE prospects so that probably means a trade or FA signing, while maybe investing another mid round pick.

Release Graham, let Lewis retire, and have Tonyan compete for a roster spot. The position needs a significant remodel.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't think the Packers should spent several millions a season on a TE2.

Oh, if he became available, I'd spent 5-6M/season on him easily. He's the type of guy who could really make the offense tic.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Considering the Packers dont have a current or future TE1 on the roster (MAYBE Sternberger) they probably should invest hard in the Tight end position. The upcoming draft is kind of weak on sure fire TE prospects so that probably means a trade or FA signing, while maybe investing another mid round pick.

Release Graham, let Lewis retire, and have Tonyan compete for a roster spot. The position needs a significant remodel.

Agree. If they are going to let Tonyan and Sternberger compete for that receiving TE role, that's fine, but they should definitely try to stabilize the position with a quality option in that "Y" role.

D

Deleted member 6794

Oh, if he became available, I'd spent 5-6M/season on him easily. He's the type of guy who could really make the offense tic.

Don't get me wrong, the Packers need to improve the tight end position and free agency is the way to go. But they should thrive for adding a #1 to the roster and not spend several millions on a #2.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, the Packers need to improve the tight end position and free agency is the way to go. But they should thrive for adding a #1 to the roster and not spend several millions on a #2.

I care more about role and less about designation. With Sternberger and Tonyan in the pipeline, they need to add someone with blocking skills. Rudolph is that guy, while still offering some receiving value. I think he'd play a ton.

D

Deleted member 6794

I care more about role and less about designation. With Sternberger and Tonyan in the pipeline, they need to add someone with blocking skills. Rudolph is that guy, while still offering some receiving value. I think he'd play a ton.

Rudolph might play a ton but with both Tonyan and Sternberger being completely unproven I would definitely feel more comfortable about the position by adding a better receiving threat than Rudolph at this point in his career.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Rudolph might play a ton but with both Tonyan and Sternberger being completely unproven I would definitely feel more comfortable about the position by adding a better receiving threat than Rudolph at this point in his career.

Sure. But I need you to let me know who that guy is. Because unless Henry or Hooper somehow make it to market, I don't see it. I also wonder if Gutekunst would pay big money for a receiving tight end in front of the guy who he just took in the 3rd round.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sure. But I need you to let me know who that guy is. Because unless Henry or Hooper somehow make it to market, I don't see it. I also wonder if Gutekunst would pay big money for a receiving tight end in front of the guy who he just took in the 3rd round.

Gutekunst shouldn't rely on Sternberger developing into a decent receiving tight end.

I agree that it might be impossible to sign a top player at the position in free agency but that doesn't mean it would be smart to bring in Rudolph who doesn't provide a significant upgrade over Graham.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rudolf just isn't a no. 1 TE any more. He would be an upgrade over Lewis in that while being a run blocker he can still catch more passes. If the Packers can get him for 5 or 6 million, fine.
I would like to see Lazard given a chance to play a Jermichael Finley role at TE. He's about the same size and can also block well from a split out position. That would be predicated on Gute signing a medium FA WR and spending a high draft pick at another WR to bring in talent. Otherwise, keep Lazard at WR since besides Adams, there is such a big drop off in talent.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Gutekunst shouldn't rely on Sternberger developing into a decent receiving tight end.

I agree that it might be impossible to sign a top player at the position in free agency but that doesn't mean it would be smart to bring in Rudolph who doesn't provide a significant upgrade over Graham.

Rudolph would not be replacing Graham. Sternberger and/or Tonyan and/or someone else would be doing that. Rudolph would be replacing Lewis.

ColoradoPacker51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also think 2020 is our big chance at the next ring. I think we have a shot this year, if the right things happen, but next year is where we go all in. we invested in the Defense last yr, and this next year will be for the Offense, and some depth. I will be really excited to see what we do going into 2020.

We definitely need to have another couple of weapons added to this offense. The draft is apparently deep at WR so I’d love a top 2 pick on one, and maybe a later round pick as well. Being in CO, Shenault is very intriguing and could be a great fit. If we go FA, Green on a 1 or 2 yr deal, for maybe $10 mil/yr could be worth a chance on him. If not, a veteran who has been consistent.

We can always use another RB so I think a mid round there.

Kenny Clark is due a nice contract, he’s a stud, and young.

OL and DL depth is hugely important. Resigning Bulaga on a good one or two year deal is a must. If Patrick can play well, and if Linsley has back problems, might not be bad to take his place and free up cap. I think we take a Tackle or two at least in the draft.

TE is another position of need. We’ve had such little production and consistency in the passing game here. Probably another pick or a mid tier FA, while also letting graham go. Hopefully Sternberger can get healthy and take a step forward this offseason.

Martinez, I’m happy to let walk and sign a veteran FA that can help, and draft someone to take the place.

I think we can keep Tramon on a team friendly deal and he did well in the slot this year.

Resign mason as well, good kickers are tough to come by.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
With the big break due to the bye and the recent news of Rodgers restructure and Patrick extension I started thinking of all our possibilities for this offseason. I think we have a shot at the Super Bowl this year but I feel like next year is when we are ALL IN! Another year for everyone to figure our MLF’s system and another FA and draft season for Gute to fill out this roster. So here is my blueprint for our 2020 championship run.

1. Cut Jimmy and Lane Taylor. More money to spend with nothing lost on the field.
2. Extend Kenny Clark. PAY THE BIG MAN!
3. Resign Bulaga, Martinez, Crosby, Goodson, Tramon, and Big Dog in that order of necessity. Bulaga and Martinez could take some money but the others could be very team friendly deals.
4. Sign a WR in FA to combo with Adams. I’d love to Cooper from Dallas but Green from Cincy is probably more realistic. Get him out of that mess and too a contender and hope he stays healthy.
5. Draft is open for BPA at this point. Would love another WR weapon. Could use a big play threat slot receiver. Love Shenault from Colorado for MLF to get creative. Cover LB would be nice, more depth at safety and corner, a big run stuffing DL, and more OL depth is always good. Also a developmental QB would be worth a mid round pick.

I feel like this is a realistic blue print to sure up a couple of our weak spots and improve an already very good team and win back to back Super Bowls in 2020
Like this the only one is Tramon he’ll be 38 and a being a FA have to part with him

D

Deleted member 6794

Of course he should otherwise why the F-bomb would he have drafted him? You and I don't have to though.

While Gutekunst definitely expects Sternberger to develop into a decent tight end the Packers shouldn't rely on it for next season. There's a difference.

Rudolf just isn't a no. 1 TE any more. He would be an upgrade over Lewis in that while being a run blocker he can still catch more passes. If the Packers can get him for 5 or 6 million, fine.

Rudolph would not be replacing Graham. Sternberger and/or Tonyan and/or someone else would be doing that. Rudolph would be replacing Lewis.

In that case the Packers should re-sign Lewis and use the money saved by not signing Rudolph on a receiving threat at the position.

Like this the only one is Tramon he’ll be 38 and a being a FA have to part with him

It might be smart to bring Williams back for another season as he has played pretty well this season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In that case the Packers should re-sign Lewis and use the money saved by not signing Rudolph on a receiving threat at the position.

This honestly in the end is what I feel is the smartest thing to do. Lewis has become a leader already in his short time here and not too mention while his main purpose and role is blocking while in there...his hands for a slow big TE are still solid for sure. I personally say signing Lewis is a must, whether we are looking to sign a FA or draft a TE high (3rd round or higher...for the record Kmet is my #1 TE)

It might be smart to bring Williams back for another season as he has played pretty well this season.

Similar to Lewis I think it would be a mistake to not pay Williams to return...dude LOVES it here and his role of leader + versatility is a good thing to have.

D

Deleted member 6794

I personally say signing Lewis is a must, whether we are looking to sign a FA or draft a TE high (3rd round or higher...for the record Kmet is my #1 TE)

Tight ends take a couple of seasons to develop into impact players. Therefore I would prefer to address the position in free agency.

Such as...?

It's way too early to talk about who might be available in March.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Tight ends take a couple of seasons to develop into impact players. Therefore I would prefer to address the position in free agency.

It's way too early to talk about who might be available in March.

Why is that?

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the Packers are a philosophy change and 2 or 3 players away from having a legit chance in 2020 since the cap situation is no longer so dire. parting with productive players isn't a good way to enhance that. be careful who you want to see gone. 31 other teams are out there looking too, and pinning hopes on the draft is unrealistic and a long term thing anyway. there is no long term when you're in win-now mode.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Looked him up when I saw the signing. Dude seems to have chops...be curious to see how his game translates over, and against better competition.

He seems like a route runner and possession type of WR like Jordy/JJ we will still need a speed guy too.

https://www.beaumontenterprise.com/...on-s-record-year-in-CFL-opens-up-14950032.php

Agree with both of you. This guy might be able to catch balls in the CFL, but how will that translate to the NFL? I just hope that this is the first of many moves that Gute makes to try and improve the Receiving Corp for 2020 and beyond. I still contend that if we had a better TE and a legit #2 WR, we would be the odds on favorite to be playing in the SB.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts