2020 Offseason

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the big break due to the bye and the recent news of Rodgers restructure and Patrick extension I started thinking of all our possibilities for this offseason. I think we have a shot at the Super Bowl this year but I feel like next year is when we are ALL IN! Another year for everyone to figure our MLF’s system and another FA and draft season for Gute to fill out this roster. So here is my blueprint for our 2020 championship run.

1. Cut Jimmy and Lane Taylor. More money to spend with nothing lost on the field.
2. Extend Kenny Clark. PAY THE BIG MAN!
3. Resign Bulaga, Martinez, Crosby, Goodson, Tramon, and Big Dog in that order of necessity. Bulaga and Martinez could take some money but the others could be very team friendly deals.
4. Sign a WR in FA to combo with Adams. I’d love to Cooper from Dallas but Green from Cincy is probably more realistic. Get him out of that mess and too a contender and hope he stays healthy.
5. Draft is open for BPA at this point. Would love another WR weapon. Could use a big play threat slot receiver. Love Shenault from Colorado for MLF to get creative. Cover LB would be nice, more depth at safety and corner, a big run stuffing DL, and more OL depth is always good. Also a developmental QB would be worth a mid round pick.

I feel like this is a realistic blue print to sure up a couple of our weak spots and improve an already very good team and win back to back Super Bowls in 2020

D

Deleted member 6794

Sign a WR in FA to combo with Adams. I’d love to Cooper from Dallas but Green from Cincy is probably more realistic. Get him out of that mess and too a contender and hope he stays healthy.

The Packers hoping on a veteran receiver staying healthy who hasn't been able to do that isn't a smart way to approach free agency or manage the cap.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
With the big break due to the bye and the recent news of Rodgers restructure and Patrick extension I started thinking of all our possibilities for this offseason. I think we have a shot at the Super Bowl this year but I feel like next year is when we are ALL IN! Another year for everyone to figure our MLF’s system and another FA and draft season for Gute to fill out this roster. So here is my blueprint for our 2020 championship run.

1. Cut Jimmy and Lane Taylor. More money to spend with nothing lost on the field.
2. Extend Kenny Clark. PAY THE BIG MAN!
3. Resign Bulaga, Martinez, Crosby, Goodson, Tramon, and Big Dog in that order of necessity. Bulaga and Martinez could take some money but the others could be very team friendly deals.
4. Sign a WR in FA to combo with Adams. I’d love to Cooper from Dallas but Green from Cincy is probably more realistic. Get him out of that mess and too a contender and hope he stays healthy.
5. Draft is open for BPA at this point. Would love another WR weapon. Could use a big play threat slot receiver. Love Shenault from Colorado for MLF to get creative. Cover LB would be nice, more depth at safety and corner, a big run stuffing DL, and more OL depth is always good. Also a developmental QB would be worth a mid round pick.

I feel like this is a realistic blue print to sure up a couple of our weak spots and improve an already very good team and win back to back Super Bowls in 2020

1. Graham and Taylor are good cut candidates. Combined, they'd free up about 11M in space. Another possibility is Corey Linsley, whose release would save 8.5M against the cap. If Lucas Patrick ends up starting in the playoffs and plays well, that may impact their decision.

2. Kenny Clark's extension is a total no brainier.

3. I think they almost have to resign Bulaga. He's their best offensive linemen and tackles are both really hard to find and really important. I want no part of paying Martinez. Crosby and Goodson on reasonable deals would be fine. I think you have to finally move on from Tramon at his age, though maybe a one year deal would be ok. They could also explore a modest deal for Tyler Ervin and Ibraheim Campbell. A guy I would love to keep at the right price is Kyler Fackrell, but I don't think it's realistic.

4. Signing a FA wide receiver would be fine, but there aren't many good options. I want no part of Cooper or Green, unless the latter was on a modest prove it deal. A mid level veteran paired with a high pick in this receiver rich draft class would be a better idea in my opinion. Rashard Higgins comes to mind.

5. One priority for a receiver draft pick needs to be speed. Petals loves screens and we use them a lot, but no one on the roster is all that dangerous with the ball. Jalen Reagor and Brandon Aiyuk are a couple of guys who appear to have some juice.

OP
OP
SD Cheesehead

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers hoping on a veteran receiver staying healthy who hasn't been able to do that isn't a smart way to approach free agency or manage the cap.
Cooper has been healthy the last couple of years and played through injuries. He would be expensive but him and Davante would be deadly together. Green is definitely much more of a risk but I think he could be much more cost effective. Hoping he wants to get out of Cincy, play with a good team and QB for once and give him a smaller prove it deal for a year or two would be well worth the risk. Both those guys also would fit the culture I feel Gute has built and that’s tough to do when finding WR’s.

OP
OP
SD Cheesehead

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
5. One priority for a receiver draft pick needs to be speed. Petals loves screens and we use them a lot, but no one on the roster is all that dangerous with the ball. Jalen Reagor and Brandon Aiyuk are a couple of guys who appear to have some juice.

Totally agree with this. Shenault in the first would be perfect but Aiyuk in the middle rounds or even a late flyer on a guy like Jeff Thomas would be well worth the pick for some quick hitters with big play potential.

D

Deleted member 6794

Cooper has been healthy the last couple of years and played through injuries. He would be expensive but him and Davante would be deadly together. Green is definitely much more of a risk but I think he could be much more cost effective. Hoping he wants to get out of Cincy, play with a good team and QB for once and give him a smaller prove it deal for a year or two would be well worth the risk. Both those guys also would fit the culture I feel Gute has built and that’s tough to do when finding WR’s.

Cooper is too inconsistent for the money he will ask for and Green can't get on the field. The Packers should pass on both of them.

OP
OP
SD Cheesehead

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cooper is too inconsistent for the money he will ask for and Green can't get on the field. The Packers should pass on both of them.[/QUOTE

Cooper was only inconsistent when his QB was inconsistent. He’s been one of the most consistent WR’s in the league since he got to Dallas. Imagine what he’d do with Arod and Davante on the other side. Green didn’t play this year cuz his team was going nowhere and they wouldn’t give him a new deal. It was a smart business decision to sit out and fully heal after offseason surgery. If anything he should be healthy as he has been in years. He also saw Dr Anderson who is on of the best foot and ankle doctors in the country who works for........ THE PACKERS! If he’s healthy we should be the first to know.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Cooper was only inconsistent when his QB was inconsistent. He’s been one of the most consistent WR’s in the league since he got to Dallas. Imagine what he’d do with Arod and Davante on the other side. Green didn’t play this year cuz his team was going nowhere and they wouldn’t give him a new deal. It was a smart business decision to sit out and fully heal after offseason surgery. If anything he should be healthy as he has been in years. He also saw Dr Anderson who is on of the best foot and ankle doctors in the country who works for........ THE PACKERS! If he’s healthy we should be the first to know.

This is just flat out untrue about Cooper. He had 7 games in 2019 under 50 yards receiving. He had 8 such games in 2018. In 2017, half of his receiving production came in two games.

He's arguably the least consistent #1 receiver in the league.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not want them to sign Blake Martinez at all. When the Packers decide to get faster and athletic at MLB they actually may be able to have a top 10 defense. Martinez does not get off blocks well and a ton of his tackles come downfield. He is a liability in coverage as well. No thanks. I’d rather see what Ty Summers can do.

Mason Crosby: He’s very serviceable at this point of his career but he’s not as reliable as guys like Justin Tucker, Robbie Gould, or Matt Prater. If they can bring him back cheap then I won’t mind. However they don’t need to pay him like a top tier kicker anymore.

Kenny Clark is a must resign. The guy is still only 22 yrs old and will get better.

Any wr that’s hitting the market isn’t worth bringing back. I like Kumerow but it is what it is. Allison is useless. I wish they could move on from MVS as well and just rebuild the entire WR core outside of Lazzard and Adams.

Jimmy Graham: Cut him periods.

Bryan Bulaga: nope. Lucas Patrick can replace him.

OP
OP
SD Cheesehead

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is just flat out untrue about Cooper. He had 7 games in 2019 under 50 yards receiving. He had 8 such games in 2018. In 2017, half of his receiving production came in two games.

He's arguably the least consistent #1 receiver in the league.

WR is just by nature one of the more inconsistent positions in the league. Maybe consistent isn’t the perfect word for Cooper but that is more due to his QB and system. The Cowboys as a team were one of the more inconsistent teams in the league. Cooper himself is one of the best route runners, sure handed, and big play ability receivers in the league. I honestly don’t think Dallas will let Cooper go but if he does he would be one of the few receivers worth exploring for big money.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Green didn’t play this year cuz his team was going nowhere and they wouldn’t give him a new deal. It was a smart business decision to sit out and fully heal after offseason surgery. If anything he should be healthy as he has been in years. He also saw Dr Anderson who is on of the best foot and ankle doctors in the country who works for........ THE PACKERS! If he’s healthy we should be the first to know.

I'm glad that you pointed that out, because I was going to and forgot. Now some might say that is a negative "he didn't play, even though he was probably healthy enough to". However, in this case, I think it would have been crazy of him to try to play the last 4 or 5 games and risk injury. His team was already eliminated from the playoffs and the front office hadn't made any moves toward extending his contract, which was up at the end of the season.

Reaction score
I like the idea of replacing Linsley and adding his 6+ savings to restructure a short term deal in Bulaga. 2yr/12 etc.. 1 year guaranteed. That philosophy buys us 1 more year at OT by overlapping contracts..or at least allows us time to try out his successor. That in mind, I’d draft another OG/OT dual role type by early day 3.

I’d cover 2 of these 4 positions in FA ( TE, WR, ILB, DT) with stellar personnel that will make it our strength. Let Lazard duke it out fir that #2-3 spot with a top 7 range college WR or veteran FA that bumps him to #3.
Then I’d prioritize the other two remaining Positions with my first few draft selections. Moving up a few spots by using a 3rd day additive if needed. Call it TWO top #25-55 range overall athletes.

Before the second round was over We’d have new presumed starters at WR, TE, ILB and DT.
Having a bonafide #2 WR and another powerhouse DT opposite Clark with the Smiths on the Edge would give OL fits

Get Ervin and Shepherd low cost multi year deals.

Move Sternberger into the #2 role at TE if we get our FA TE.. or grab another TE round 3-4

I’d also work Gary into #51 (Fackrell) role as the 3rd man up and offer Kyler slightly over league minimum or walk him.

Mercedes gets a one more 1 year low cost 2M deal.

Gmo is gone.
Graham is gone
MVS, EQ, Kumerow fight for those #4-#6 roles.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
WR is just by nature one of the more inconsistent positions in the league. Maybe consistent isn’t the perfect word for Cooper but that is more due to his QB and system. The Cowboys as a team were one of the more inconsistent teams in the league. Cooper himself is one of the best route runners, sure handed, and big play ability receivers in the league. I honestly don’t think Dallas will let Cooper go but if he does he would be one of the few receivers worth exploring for big money.

He's had multiple seasons with multiple teams and multiple QB's and his lack of consistency has followed him. It's not his circumstances-- it's him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I do not want them to sign Blake Martinez at all. When the Packers decide to get faster and athletic at MLB they actually may be able to have a top 10 defense. Martinez does not get off blocks well and a ton of his tackles come downfield. He is a liability in coverage as well. No thanks. I’d rather see what Ty Summers can do.

Mason Crosby: He’s very serviceable at this point of his career but he’s not as reliable as guys like Justin Tucker, Robbie Gould, or Matt Prater. If they can bring him back cheap then I won’t mind. However they don’t need to pay him like a top tier kicker anymore.

Kenny Clark is a must resign. The guy is still only 22 yrs old and will get better.

Any wr that’s hitting the market isn’t worth bringing back. I like Kumerow but it is what it is. Allison is useless. I wish they could move on from MVS as well and just rebuild the entire WR core outside of Lazzard and Adams.

Jimmy Graham: Cut him periods.

Bryan Bulaga: nope. Lucas Patrick can replace him.

Lucas Patrick can replace Bryan Bulaga? Are you insane?

OP
OP
SD Cheesehead

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's had multiple seasons with multiple teams and multiple QB's and his lack of consistency has followed him. It's not his circumstances-- it's him.

I’m really amazed at the amount of dislike for Cooper on here. Again I don’t think it’s likely but man would he be perfect in this offense with Adams.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I’m really amazed at the amount of dislike for Cooper on here. Again I don’t think it’s likely but man would he be perfect in this offense with Adams.

I should clarify-- I think he's a very good WR. But I don't think it would be a good use of cap space to spend 18+ per season on him. And he is very inconsistent. That's just part of the package with him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's too early, but I love these offseason scenarios.

-We don't know what the 2020 NFL cap ceiling will be, but right now the Packers should have something in the neighborhood of 40M in space available (this includes the space created by Rodgers' restructure). Releasing Graham and Taylor would create just over 12M in additional cap space, bringing the total to ~52M. If they feel more is needed, they may release Linsley to bring the total to something in the neighborhood of 60M. 52-60M in cap space would be somewhere in the neighborhood of league average.

-Tonyan, Kumerow, Sullivan, Lancaster, Redmond, and Lazard are all Exclusive Rights Free Agents and should all be tendered and brought back into camp in the fall.

-Of the unrestricted free agents, I would make a serious, substantial effort to extend Bryan Bulaga. I would make reasonable, modest offers to bring back Kyler Fackrell (totally expecting that we would get out-bid on him), B.J. Goodson, Ibraheim Campbell, and Tyler Ervin. Mason Crosby and Tramon Williams on one year deals would be fine. I would definitely want to let Martinez walk.

-In league-wide free agency, I'd like to attack the linebacker position. The guys I'd pursue, if they should make it to the market, are Joe Schobert, Cory Littleton, or Mychal Kendricks. The other spot I would definitely target in FA is tight end. Tight ends take more time than normal to develop. With Sternberger and Tonyan in the pipeline already as guys who lead with their receiving ability, I'd like someone who can block. Hunter Henry and Austin Hooper are great ideas who probably won't be available. Levine Toilolo is an interesting candidate, though they could possible just bring back Marcedes Lewis. I also see the wisdom in bolstering the WR corps with a veteran, but I'm not enamored with Cooper or any of the old heads that will be available. A lower end option who intrigues me is Rashard Higgins, who got stuck behind Beckham and Landry in Cleveland's incapable offense. His WR coach at CSU is our current WR coach, Alvis Whitted. I think there's a good chance that he would be better than anyone on the roster right now not named Adams and Lazard. Phillip Dorsett is another name that catches my eye. On defense, they need to find more pass rush ability on the interior of the defensive line. Names that come to mind are Maliek Collins, Hassan Ridgeway, and Christian Covington come to mind.

-In the draft, my top priority would be speed at the receiver position. Petals' screen game has been far less effective than it ought to be because the pass catchers just aren't fast. Beyond that, I think they will need more help along the second level of the defense, while corners and offensive linemen are always a need.

-With the tight end options looking pretty paltry in FA (assuming Henry and Hooper are resigned), there are a number of trade candidates that I'd explore: Hayden Hurst, David Njoku, O.J. Howard.

D

Deleted member 6794

I do not want them to sign Blake Martinez at all. When the Packers decide to get faster and athletic at MLB they actually may be able to have a top 10 defense.

The Packers had a top 10 defense this season, finishing ninth in points allowed.

I wouldn't mind moving on from Crosby either but Gould (74.2% FG made) had a terrible season in 2019.

I'm glad that you pointed that out, because I was going to and forgot. Now some might say that is a negative "he didn't play, even though he was probably healthy enough to".

I'm sorry but Green quitting on his team on top of not being able to stay healthy shouldn't make him more attractive to the Packers.

I like the idea of replacing Linsley and adding his 6+ savings to restructure a short term deal in Bulaga.

Get Ervin and Shepherd low cost multi year deals.

I’d also work Gary into #51 (Fackrell) role as the 3rd man up and offer Kyler slightly over league minimum or walk him.

For the record, releasing Linsley would save $8.5 million of cap space.

There's no reason to bring back Shepherd in my opinion. Mackrell will definitely be offered significantly more than the league minimum in the offseason.

I don't think there's any dislike for Cooper around here but fans don't want the Packers to pay him premium money with him being a #2 receiver.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
offer Kyler slightly over league minimum or walk him.

Fackrell's next contract with us or not is going to be in a different stratosphere than league minimum...he won't make top dollar for sure at his position but you're talking about a guy that led his team in 2018 and in his time on the field this year is well above SOLID for sure. While I would love to continue having the LUXURY of him and Gary backing up the Smiths but I bet we get out bid on him by numerous teams.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fackrell is a nice player. He's solid in all phases of the game, i'm still surprised at his coverage abilities. He's going to get some money from someone, could even be us. He's not a Smith, but he's a nice player to have on the field when they aren't. That will attract some attention by other teams

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Fackrell is a nice player. He's solid in all phases of the game, i'm still surprised at his coverage abilities. He's going to get some money from someone, could even be us. He's not a Smith, but he's a nice player to have on the field when they aren't. That will attract some attention by other teams

On the one hand, paying a guy to be your 3rd/4th player at a position seems ill-advised, and another team might view him in a larger role and be willing to pay him accordingly.

On the other hand, Fackrell offers a skill set that is unique to the OLB's on the roster, and can be used in an off ball capacity. It's also possible that his market doesn't materialize because he's not really a pure edge rusher.

So I would make a decent offer and let him explore the market and see what happens. Most likely the Packers get outbid. But maybe not.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
For the offseason, here are a few potential cap casualties to keep your eye on. A lot of guys currently slated to hit FA won't get there, but these are names who could ended up getting added to the mix.
  • Kyle Rudolph: The Vikings, hilariously, have the least amount of cap space available heading into this offseason at -4.3M. Cutting Rudolph now would save a little in the short term and a lot in the long term. Rudolph would be the perfect TE2 as a great blocker who poses some threat as a receiver.
  • Calais Campbell: The Jags have limited space to work with and can free up 15M by letting the aging Campbell go. He's still a terrific pass rusher and could bring a serious threat to the interior on passing downs.
  • Taylor Gabriel: The Bears open the off-season with under 10M in cap space. They could add 4.5M more by letting Gabriel go. He only caught 29 balls for them in 2019. I like this one, as it would add some real speed. Gabriel's best year came in 2016 in Atlanta with Petals.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the offseason, here are a few potential cap casualties to keep your eye on. A lot of guys currently slated to hit FA won't get there, but these are names who could ended up getting added to the mix.
  • Kyle Rudolph: The Vikings, hilariously, have the least amount of cap space available heading into this offseason at -4.3M. Cutting Rudolph now would save a little in the short term and a lot in the long term. Rudolph would be the perfect TE2 as a great blocker who poses some threat as a receiver.
  • Calais Campbell: The Jags have limited space to work with and can free up 15M by letting the aging Campbell go. He's still a terrific pass rusher and could bring a serious threat to the interior on passing downs.
  • Taylor Gabriel: The Bears open the off-season with under 10M in cap space. They could add 4.5M more by letting Gabriel go. He only caught 29 balls for them in 2019. I like this one, as it would add some real speed. Gabriel's best year came in 2016 in Atlanta with Petals.
I'd be down to get all these guys, resign Martinez and Bulaga, and only draft inside linebackers lol