2019 UDFA NEWS and Signings

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't find any fault with what Gute is doing. There are going to be a ton of players released soon. Maybe he is looking at that. Who knows? Maybe he likes Bolton and the injury is not serious. We have some tough cuts and keeps coming up soon.

Summers and Bolton have done enough to justify making the roster but I definitely don't feel comfortable about either of them playing a significant amount of snaps at Chicago.

Gutekunst needs to add a veteran at the position before week 1.

While there will be a "ton of players released soon", do you expect that a quality starting ILB is going to be in that group and even if one is, will the Packers be able to claim him?

I believe the players currently available via trade are the ones that will be cut by the end of the week. Most likely a quality starter at inside linebacker isn't amongst them though.

I don't think finding a starter at ILB is as important as it was even 5 years ago. I'm sure they have multiple plans, and we're limited by cap space right now to make major moves. Without a major move they'll be likely looking at aged and undependable in terms of health or if they have anything left or looking at young and unproven. Basically potential. They probably have a handful at least, of guys they like the "potential"

I guess the Packers could add another inside linebacker more talented then the current backups on the roster without having to make a major move though.

That's a pretty good idea Poker. Madison could fill in there if need be, as could Patrick. Taylor is another player with good trade value.

Madison isn't ready to play.

Trent Williams. WAS is really ******** with him with how they handled an infection he sustained, and it created a lot of bad blood between Williams and the team. I would love for the Packers to snatch this dude, somehow.

The Packers don't need Williams with Bakhtiri starting at left tackle.

If Martinez goes down.. we are in a world of pain. Summers or Tramon probably takes the helmet.

If Martinez is injured the Packers have more severe issues than who takes the helmet on defense.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Summers and Bolton have done enough to justify making the roster but I definitely don't feel comfortable about either of them playing a significant amount of snaps at Chicago.

I guess the Packers could add another inside linebacker more talented then the current backups on the roster without having to make a major move though.

Madison isn't ready to play.

I think Madison is cut and they try to get him to PS. He's not ready.

I think Bolton and Summers have potential, with weaknesses of course. They could get someone else, but it's still likely to be potential with a different set of weaknesses and learning curve attached to them too. I'm sure there IS someone out there better, there always is, but what they're going to get for a 5,6,7 round pick right now is probably on the same level of the vets and young guys that are going to be cut in a couple days. a few will be better than others somewhere else, but on a whole, To get a solid starter that will make fans happy? it will take some work thru trade to get an established starter at this point, well one that's not likely to be cut in few days because his salary is no longer worth it and they have younger that will replace him.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless for various reasons they're just not able to, I can't see the Packers going into the season with what amounts to not much more than scrubs and camp bodies as starters.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Unless for various reasons they're just not able to, I can't see the Packers going into the season with what amounts to not much more than scrubs and camp bodies as starters.

I assume you are talking about ILB? It's starting to look that way. Yes, they have one week to potentially find an upgrade at ILB. However, can you sign someone in that time and get them up to speed on the Packers defense and have him ready to play on Thursday night?

I keep falling back on the notion that I don't know all the details or the plan in Green Bay. They either have someone in mind or they truly think that a decent starter at ILB is currently on the team. My problem is, I just don't see THAT starter, nor an adequate backup. But I guess.....In Gute We Trust.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly believe with Burks probably back sometime in October this is Bolton/Summers time to shine. I don't think either player will make significant errors that will cost us a game and plus with Greene likely in on most of the sub packages they'll be insulated as such. Gute and MLF will know pretty quickly what they really have at the position and will adjust Draft strategy accordingly down the stretch as they do/don't show improvement.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ty Summers is THE guy. I firmly believe he will surprise many. Burks can go to IR until he's fully ready. Buzzy Bolton would be great to keep if his knee is OK.

I totally agree with you Favre>Rodgers259.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I honestly believe with Burks probably back sometime in October this is Bolton/Summers time to shine. I don't think either player will make significant errors that will cost us a game and plus with Greene likely in on most of the sub packages they'll be insulated as such. Gute and MLF will know pretty quickly what they really have at the position and will adjust Draft strategy accordingly down the stretch as they do/don't show improvement.

If nothing else, in 2 months we can all look back at yet another defense that can't seem to contain the short passing game and say "I told you so, WTF was Gute thinking". I will be totally fine with being 120% wrong with my reservations about the ILB situation as it currently sits.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ty Summers is THE guy. I firmly believe he will surprise many. Burks can go to IR until he's fully ready. Buzzy Bolton would be great to keep if his knee is OK.

I totally agree with you Favre>Rodgers259.

I hope I am wrong, but Ty Summers reminds me of former Packer and 4th Rd. pick Jake Ryan, with Ryan being the better tackler, but not a great fit with Martinez. Neither of them impress me with speed or the ability to cover the open field or receivers. Summers may end up developing in a decent Mike LB, but I just don't see him being a great Will.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If nothing else, in 2 months we can all look back at yet another defense that can't seem to contain the short passing game and say "I told you so, WTF was Gute thinking". I will be totally fine with being 120% wrong with my reservations about the ILB situation as it currently sits.

I'm not saying the ILB group are world beaters, but they don't get the credit they deserve.

I hope I am wrong, but Ty Summers reminds me of former Packer and 4th Rd. pick Jake Ryan, with Ryan being the better tackler, but not a great fit with Martinez. Neither of them impress me with speed or the ability to cover the open field or receivers. Summers may end up developing in a decent Mike LB, but I just don't see him being a great Will.

I did initially evaluate Summers as a Ryan clone, but whether he's Jake Ryan Lite or Jake Ryan 2.0 remains to be seen. He plays better with Martinez than the original did though.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's OK Poker. I'm just a total draft nut. The only "clone" thing about Ryan and Summers is that they both were 6-2 240 when they were drafted.

Summers is a far superior athlete. 4.51 40 compared to Ryan's 4.65. He outperformed Ryan in every measurable. I just happen to think this kid is going to be really special in GB. The only player other than Rashan Gary to post ELITE level ratings in both RAS and SPARQ. I believe he will develop nicely with Blake as a mentor and teammate. I'm really kind of hoping they both start together this year. We will see soon enough.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not saying the ILB group are world beaters, but they don't get the credit they deserve.

That is the problem I am having, besides Martinez, what credit do I give this group? Crawford has played one Regular season NFL snap on defense, the other guys, haven't played a snap in the NFL, outside of preseason. I really find it hard to give any of them much credit for even how they played in preseason games. This really feels like people being overly optimistic. How would you have felt last year at this time, if we started the season planning on lining up Allison, MVS and Moore at WR?

Believe it or not, I am usually a pretty optimistic person, but even through my green and gold tinted glasses, I am not liking what I am seeing.

Reaction score
That is the problem I am having, besides Martinez, what credit do I give this group? Crawford has played one Regular season NFL snap on defense, the other guys, haven't played a snap in the NFL, outside of preseason. I really find it hard to give any of them much credit for even how they played in preseason games. This really feels like people being overly optimistic. How would you have felt last year at this time, if we started the season planning on lining up Allison, MVS and Moore at WR?

Believe it or not, I am usually a pretty optimistic person, but even through my green and gold tinted glasses, I am not liking what I am seeing.
He’s a project at best and could turn into a solid ST contributor or backup behind Martinez.
At least the draft capital spent was kept minimal there as a 7th rounder. So my expectations are keeping my disappointment in check. My guess is we sign a compliment to Martinez that is starter capable and PS Ty.
Let’s Rock Tonight!

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright...

Summers has the size and speed to improve in coverage with solid coaching, and listening to the kid, he has the character and will to succeed. On the subject of coverage, he might be better than the pundit buzz is allowing. A number of scouts, both AFC & NFC, had Ty Summers in their Top 100 players list.

Pretty solid in both Man and Zone coverages, and the guy reads route combinations well, being a former QB. Can cover RBs/TEs in short/intermediate areas, plus can run deep. He's effective covering WRs out of the slot. The guy covered slot WR Hakeem Butler very well v. Iowa St. where he helped to hold Butler to 2 rec for 14 yds on the day, his lowest receiving totals in a game all of 2018.

317 tackles, 167 Solo, 22.5 TFL, 10.5 sacks, 2 INT, 9 PD, 1 FF, 1 FR

Summers loves getting after the QB. Versatile enough where he played some 5 & 7 tech on the DL due to injuries there. He was groomed by TCU's HC to be a ILB but spent good amount of his time Junior and Senior years playing both ILB and DE.

At TCU he had surgery to repair a torn labrum in 2014, and high ankle sprains in 2017 and 2018. That's all of the injury stuff I was able to gather. I think he will hold up fine.

Filling in at EDGE for another injured TCU player in week 1 of last season, Summers earned the best EDGE grade in the Big 12 by PFF at 87.4

Southern HC Dawson Odums said after the game he thought Summers is one of the better players in the country... “We’re not talking about this ballgame. I am talking about in the country – NFL, college, high school – he is one of the best."

That's some pretty high praise. I can dig that, and our opinions just differ on him. The big test begins next Thursday, and we should know more through the first half of the season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Summers cleans up his tackling I could see him being as productive as Martinez his rookie season, or at least close enough to make us happy.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing that worries me about Summers is I saw him miss a bunch of one on one tackles this preseason. Did not even slow the ball carriers down.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing that worries me about Summers is I saw him miss a bunch of one on one tackles this preseason. Did not even slow the ball carriers down.
That's the part he needs to take care, a big part.

Partly might be too much effort and too reckless. I think he'll learn to play a bit under control with some time. Enough to at least miss less.

Reaction score
Yes. On the other hand we also saw him make some perimeter plays where his hustle forced the runner into the sideline area or at least from getting by him altogether. While he did have a poor tackling game recently, we can’t deny he’s constantly around the play and stays involved. This is why he reminds me of a poor mans Martinez.

Tackling we can improve, lack of effort or inability to run down the ball is not his issue. Point is we have other players who didn’t miss a tackle, because they didn’t put themselves in position to do either.
22 solo tackles tells a story. Where would he be if he made 50% of his missed?

http://www.nfl.com/teams/greenbaypackers/statistics?team=GB

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's the part he needs to take care, a big part.

Partly might be too much effort and too reckless. I think he'll learn to play a bit under control with some time. Enough to at least miss less.

Right and with some of the horrific tackling we have seen out of some of the defensive players over the years, a big red flag to me. Hopefully he cleans it up, but I remember reading a scouting report that identified that as an issue for him at TCU.

Weaknesses
  • Movement skills on tape don't match workout numbers
  • Lateral agility and change of direction is just average
  • Below average as open-field tackler Hangs back waiting to bang with lineman rather than attacking downhill
  • Too much reading and not enough reacting
  • Comes off the field on passing down

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if taylor loses his starting spot it would be stupidity of the highest order to cut or trade him. it might end up only being a temporary job loss (if jenkins underperforms or needs to move to another position as he's very versatile), and it would be a terrible loss of depth (just when the o-line finally has some). if jenkins gets hurt then that's two good players gone...in effect the loss of two starters.

Last edited:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if taylor loses his starting spot it would be stupidity of the highest order to cut or trade him. it might end up only being a temporary job loss, and it would be a terrible loss of depth (just when the o-line finally has some).

If Lane Taylor loses his job(and he should) he's definitely getting traded. I could see us getting a 5th.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't want to see Taylor cut, just to save some cap space, unless of course they need that cap space to sign a relative pricey starter. I also don't want to see him traded for peanuts. A lot of people are down on Taylor due to last season, but keep in mind he was playing injured through most of it. Losing him as a starter and/or for depth, could come back to bite the Packers when injuries start piling up on the OL.

If Taylor isn't starting and he is on his way out, then I hope the Packers can at least find a last minute trade partner and actually get some value for him in the way of a player that will contribute this season.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Lane Taylor loses his job(and he should) he's definitely getting traded. I could see us getting a 5th.

So a team should be willing to give up a 5th round pick for a guy you don't think should be our starter. This is the football equivalent of my **** doesn't stink. The guy isn't good enough to be on our team but lots of other teams should want him.

Members online

Latest posts