2019 UDFA NEWS and Signings

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would the WR who's shown the least on the field be the best for the slot position?
If I was gonna bet on a guy it would be a veteran rather than an UDFA. Call it hope. Moore got a little blinded in the lights last year, but he has talent. MVS and ESB have shown too much promise on the perimeter to mess with. Moore has reportedly had a good off season so I expect to see some significant improvement going into this year. Just a hunch.

Given his route running, I could see Kumerow getting snaps in the slot as well. Regardless, they need more production at that position, whoever steps up to take advantage of the opportunity vacated by Cobb. Maybe it’s Poker’s guy. I don’t care as long as whoever it is produces.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven’t heard of this guy Poker but I’ll take your word for it. I don’t think MVS, ESB, or J’mon can fill the slot position (well, maybe J’mon if he has a good training camp).

Regardless, getting an established slot guy will be critical for this offense.

Allison is probably our best slot.

D

Deleted member 6794

Although he's not a UDFA, I'm a little bummed that Darron Lee got traded to the Chiefs for a 6th Rounder, I wonder if Gute got a call from them before that happened? While Lee looked like bust material in New York, his plus athleticism I felt could have found use in Pettine's system. I guess Gute probably felt he wasn't worth the gamble for the 6th if he didn't pay out though. Our UDFAs are free of charge essentially when it comes to Draft capital.

I'm absolutely fine with the Packers passing on Lee as he struggled for most of his tenure with the Jets.

Why would the WR who's shown the least on the field be the best for the slot position?

Moore has a knack for getting open. He has to significantly reduce the drops though to get on the field this season though.

Allison is probably our best slot.

Allison isn't agile enough to successfully line up in the slot on a consistent basis.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey OldSchool, do you think it’s time to replace Crosby? Seems like last season was defined by that horrible Detroit game. I think he still has a productive season left. In other words, I don’t prioritize replacing him. Getting him competition, most definitely.

Good Idea Joe, lets get a Crosby discussion going. Ain't seen a good one of those in a while :D.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Allison was lining up in the slot with Adams (duh) and MVS on the outside.

#tootmyownhorn
I rarely get to toot my own horn, it's the price I pay for being wrong so often. I think i'm still tooting from guessing Rodger's stats like 4 years ago in a contest on here LOL Recent stuff is hard to come by.

But you're right, you do know things :)

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I rarely get to toot my own horn, it's the price I pay for being wrong so often. I think i'm still tooting from guessing Rodger's stats like 4 years ago in a contest on here LOL Recent stuff is hard to come by.

But you're right, you do know things :)

Oh I know things, for sure. And occasionally I'm even right!

Reaction score
Hey OldSchool, do you think it’s time to replace Crosby? Seems like last season was defined by that horrible Detroit game. I think he still has a productive season left. In other words, I don’t prioritize replacing him. Getting him competition, most definitely.
No. I think it’s time for Crosby to bring his game. Looking at all the tools and staff I believe GB will be in the thick of the playoffs very soon. I like having a veteran in those situations over a rook.

I happen to like Crosby, but even so I think Crosby expects competition. Smart players know that competition eliminates complacency. No athletes fare great enveloped in complacency, but Kickers are like QBs in that they are direct in the spotlight of either bringing their A game consistently or losing consistently.
The pressure of being replaced will either raise Crosbys game or make him fold. I personally want a Kicker who, when attempting a 54 yarder in OT for the Championship game, is battle tested. He just knows he had to whoop some really good solid Kickers repeatedly year after year to earn that opportunity.

So No. I truly want Crosby to get back to the top and have him earning his full paycheck..and then some.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pah. What would Adams know, right?!

It might be smart not to put too much stock into OTA practices. As I've mentioned before Allison was the least productive receiver on the Packers out of the slot last season.

He definitely isn't as quick as Cobb.

I truly want Crosby to get back to the top and have him earning his full paycheck..and then some.

Crosby was never a top kicker in the league.

Reaction score
It might be smart not to put too much stock into OTA practices. As I've mentioned before Allison was the least productive receiver on the Packers out of the slot last season.

He definitely isn't as quick as Cobb.

Crosby was never a top kicker in the league.
That depends on your definition. Even with a down season, Mason Crosby ranks in the top 25 most accurate Kickers in the NFL with at least 10 years of tenure. That goes back through 74 years of stats, so that’s a nice sample size and I don’t consider “one hit wonders”. with single digits of accrued seasons, because one good or bad season can dramatically alter the results for this position.

If you could guarantee me that my next Kicker would last at minimum 10 seasons and would rank in the top 25 Kickers in accuracy of comparable careers until the year 2100? I would say pay that man!

If were looking to jump at hesitation for a one hit wonder to save a couple million over a Kicker who has a stable track record over 12 years and running (often in less than ideal conditions) I would argue that’s not smart.

That said. I do believe competition brings out the best. See his rebound season after his last slump. I like having a contingency plan though too.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

That depends on your definition. Even with a down season, Mason Crosby ranks in the top 25 most accurate Kickers in the NFL with at least 10 years of tenure. That goes back through 74 years of stats, so that’s a nice sample size and I don’t consider “one hit wonders”. with single digits of accrued seasons, because one good or bad season can dramatically alter the results for this position.

If you could guarantee me that my next Kicker would last at minimum 10 seasons and would rank in the top 25 Kickers in accuracy of comparable careers until the year 2100? I would say pay that man!

If were looking to jump at hesitation for a one hit wonder to save a couple million over a Kicker who has a stable track record over 12 years and running (often in less than ideal conditions) I would argue that’s not smart.

It doesn't make any sense to compare Crosby to kickers who played a long time ago in a different era.

I don't want to rehash the debate about him once again but the Packers rank only 31st in the league in field goal percentage since his rookie season in 2007.

He definitely hasn't been a top kicker.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about the Super Bowl MVP from 2014, ILB Malcolm Smith? He was just released outright by SF today...

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
How about the Super Bowl MVP from 2014, ILB Malcolm Smith? He was just released outright by SF today...

All I read is that he has been injured most of the past 2 seasons, we have enough players with those issues. But hey, if he is healthy now, can play next to Martinez and will take close to vet minimum, he is going to probably be better than anyone we currently have.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ha! Funny. Just looked it up and Malcolm Smith was out for his entire first season with a torn pec, after signing a 5 year $26M contract with SF. Wound up playing just 12 games for them last year. Niners spent big on Kwon Alexander this offseason, making Smith expendable. He's in his 8th year, had back to back 100 tackle seasons prior with OAK in 2015 and 2016. He would be worth a look.

in other news, the Forty Niners cut Willie Beavers today. I just had to say that....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Smith had two seasons with 100+ tackles in 2015 and '16 but over the past two seasons has started only five games. He might be worth taking a look at for a reasonable contract though.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forgot this thread existed....guess I can post my updates here.

Packers released LB Nicholas Grigsby after failed physical.

Gute needs to spend some cap, and just get a guy.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Forgot this thread existed....guess I can post my updates here.

Packers released LB Nicholas Grigsby after failed physical.

Gute needs to spend some cap, and just get a guy.

Agreed. This is starting to feel like Teddy 2.0 Trying to make something out of nothing at all. While I don't mind seeing the shuffling of 3rd stringers, which to me is an attempt at bettering your depth and future, this is a starting position we are talking about, one that IMO was weak even before the Burks injury. Lastly, relying on Burks to come back and be THE answer, is also a dangerous stance to take. What if he isn't the answer or his injury keeps him out longer?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't find any fault with what Gute is doing. There are going to be a ton of players released soon. Maybe he is looking at that. Who knows? Maybe he likes Bolton and the injury is not serious. We have some tough cuts and keeps coming up soon.

Members online

Latest posts