2019 UDFA NEWS and Signings

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he'll check out the cuts, and if he isn't able to get one he likes, or doesn't care for anyone on the list, then he'll have a trade list ready to go straight to.
If we do bring in a guy from outside, I expect we'll hear about it by sometime Sunday.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't find any fault with what Gute is doing. There are going to be a ton of players released soon. Maybe he is looking at that. Who knows? Maybe he likes Bolton and the injury is not serious. We have some tough cuts and keeps coming up soon.

While there will be a "ton of players released soon", do you expect that a quality starting ILB is going to be in that group and even if one is, will the Packers be able to claim him? When you look at the list of players that the Packers release by Saturday, players you probably know better than those on other teams, let me know which ones you would sign and be prepared to play/start the following Thursday.

This isn't about finding a guy to back fill your roster depth, it is about finding a guy that could potentially be your starter at ILB all season. Sorry, but I am skeptical about finding THAT guy during cut downs.

As of today, it appears that the Packers will be using S Raven Green at ILB on obvious passing downs, I like Green and his potential, but that seems more like an emergency plan of using your 3rd S. What happens if one of the starting Safeties goes down?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think finding a starter at ILB is as important as it was even 5 years ago. I'm sure they have multiple plans, and we're limited by cap space right now to make major moves. Without a major move they'll be likely looking at aged and undependable in terms of health or if they have anything left or looking at young and unproven. Basically potential. They probably have a handful at least, of guys they like the "potential"

I think they'll see what they can get and roll with it, as this person is likely to be on the bench half the time anyway with a combination of more CB's and safeties on the field anyway.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how Daniels plays this year. I wouldn't be surprised if his loss was already nullified last year with the young guys, and I've always been a Mike Daniels fan.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. This is starting to feel like Teddy 2.0 Trying to make something out of nothing at all. While I don't mind seeing the shuffling of 3rd stringers, which to me is an attempt at bettering your depth and future, this is a starting position we are talking about, one that IMO was weak even before the Burks injury. Lastly, relying on Burks to come back and be THE answer, is also a dangerous stance to take. What if he isn't the answer or his injury keeps him out longer?

Lol.

Everybody has a 90 man roster right now.

There aren't a lot of options, at the moment. Come 53 roster time is when you'll see movement, whether that's a claim or a trade.

There might be names you recognize on the market, but that doesn't mean they're good.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Lol.

Everybody has a 90 man roster right now.

There aren't a lot of options, at the moment. Come 53 roster time is when you'll see movement, whether that's a claim or a trade.

There might be names you recognize on the market, but that doesn't mean they're good.

How can you say there aren't a lot of options right now? Right now is when you have THE most options to get an actual player you want. You have teams with difficult decisions of who to cut and if they have a decent group of ILB's, they might be willing to trade their second best to fill another hole or to keep someone on the roster. Meanwhile, the Packers themselves have guys on the bubble with obvious value. I would rather see these guys swapped with other teams facing the same dilemma. Sitting on your hands, having to waive guys of value and then waiting for cuts and waiver claims, isn't being proactive.

Sure, if the only thing that works for you are the "free options", then you are right, waive your 37 guys, sit back and wait for those other gems to fall into your lap. But even in the NFL the old adage of "Nothing good is usually free", often holds true.

A move that wouldn't surprise me at all, trading Lane Taylor for that ILB or RB that the Packers are looking for. While I want to see Taylor kept, his salary as well as Jenkins and Turner, make him expendable if it means solidifying the ILB or RB situation.

EDIT: Just read this, so hopefully Gute is backing "my approach". :)

Jim Owczarski
@JimOwczarski

Just yesterday, #Packers GM Brian Gutekunst said this is the week where moves like this can happen. I'm sure he's been on the phone - and will be - before cuts.

Last edited:

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a pretty good idea Poker. Madison could fill in there if need be, as could Patrick. Taylor is another player with good trade value.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's a pretty good idea Poker. Madison could fill in there if need be, as could Patrick. Taylor is another player with good trade value.

Agreed and I would rather see the Packers get something for him, than just cutting him lose.

I really hope we don't have to play Madison at all this season. As a matter of fact, I would be fine to see him cut and hopefully slid to the PS. Admittedly, I haven't seen all the tape on him, but what I have seen, wasn't enough to make me feel good about him actually playing for real at this point.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can you say there aren't a lot of options right now? Right now is when you have THE most options to get an actual player you want. You have teams with difficult decisions of who to cut and if they have a decent group of ILB's, they might be willing to trade their second best to fill another hole or to keep someone on the roster. Meanwhile, the Packers themselves have guys on the bubble with obvious value. I would rather see these guys swapped with other teams facing the same dilemma. Sitting on your hands, having to waive guys of value and then waiting for cuts and waiver claims, isn't being proactive.

Sure, if the only thing that works for you are the "free options", then you are right, waive your 37 guys, sit back and wait for those other gems to fall into your lap. But even in the NFL the old adage of "Nothing good is usually free", often holds true.

A move that wouldn't surprise me at all, trading Lane Taylor for that ILB or RB that the Packers are looking for. While I want to see Taylor kept, his salary as well as Jenkins and Turner, make him expendable if it means solidifying the ILB or RB situation.

EDIT: Just read this, so hopefully Gute is backing "my approach". :)

Jim Owczarski
@JimOwczarski

Just yesterday, #Packers GM Brian Gutekunst said this is the week where moves like this can happen. I'm sure he's been on the phone - and will be - before cuts.

You'll notice I said come roster cutting time, there will be ample opportunity for claiming or trading.

But yes, right now, there just isn't a lot that is openly available. Perhaps somebody is for a trade, but don't be expecting much.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Notable players that maybe cut or on trading blocks rumors
- TJ Yeldon
- LeSean McCoy
- Kenneth Dixon
- Nick Brossette* packers had him for a pre draft workout - idrc for him just a thought.
- Dwayne Allen
- Martinas Rankins
- Xavier Sua-Filo
- Trent Williams
- Josh Doctson
- Shane Ray - I liked Shane Ray coming out of college.
- Jachai Polite - yeahhh... idk heard the kid is on the bubble lol
- Kiko Alonso and Raekwon McMillan - playing out of position
- Jadevon Clowney - fancy a trade? lol
- Karl Joseph
- Su'a Cravens - I also liked him out of college. Safety - linebacker hybrid. plays Fast hasnt traslated to the pros tho.

Last edited:

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trent Williams. WAS is really ******** with him with how they handled an infection he sustained, and it created a lot of bad blood between Williams and the team. I would love for the Packers to snatch this dude, somehow.

PackFan2, I was a HUGE Su'a Cravens fan myself when he was at USC. Oddly enough, the Redskins really did him wrong medically as well. he started having panic attacks after a severe concussion he suffered in his 4th career game. Then he suffered a biceps injury late in the season, and WAS completely mishandled that, as well as his concussion. Things tumbled out of control from there.

The Redskins are a dumpster fire.

Su'a Cravens was one of the top talents at S in all of college football. He sadly never got his real chance at the NFL level. Would be worth looking into for sure.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Notable players that maybe cut or on trading blocks rumors
- TJ Yeldon - better option than Dex/Carson
- LeSean McCoy - all day for the right price
- Kenneth Dixon - no
- Nick Brossette* packers had him for a personal draft invite - not good
- Dwayne Allen - not a need
- Martinas Rankins - if he gets cut by Houston with their OL problems, I'm not sure he's good
- Xavier Sua-Filo - not sure he's at a position of need? Not bad though
- Trent Williams - no chance
- Josh Doctson - not good
- Shane Ray - I liked Shane Ray coming out of college. - not good
- Jachai Polite - yeahhh... idk heard the kid is on the bubble lol can't imagine they'd cut him already. If they do, big warning sign
- Kiko Alonso and Raekwon McMillan - playing out of position - Kiko yes, Raekwon no
- Jadevon Clowney - fancy a trade? lol - no chance
- Karl Joseph - can't imagine they use assets to trade for a safety
- Su'a Cravens - I also liked him out of college. Safety - linebacker hybrid. plays Fast hasnt traslated to the pros tho. - played well before he quit for a year. I'd take him.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Su'a Cravens was one of the top talents at S in all of college football. He sadly never got his real chance at the NFL level. Would be worth looking into for sure.
I did too. He ran a poor 40 (hamstring issue) but he definitely played like a 4.4 speed guy with bad intentions. Was a ballhawk and just all over the field for USC. Given a chance in Mike Pettine's defense, he can excel as that dime-will linebacker. Hope the best for him.

I like TJ Yeldon. Hes a bigger back that can grind down defenses (especially during that winter time). Yeldon also worked with OC Nathaniel Hackett with Jags.

Last edited:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't find any fault with what Gute is doing. There are going to be a ton of players released soon. Maybe he is looking at that. Who knows? Maybe he likes Bolton and the injury is not serious. We have some tough cuts and keeps coming up soon.

Bolton may be the best UDFA since Sam Shields, I'm really high on him. I'm hoping the medical situation on him means maybe he misses 2-3 games and is out there to give Burks the maximum time to heal. That might be why Gute is slow to deal.

Also Randy Ramsey anyone? He's played DE/OLB in college and OLB for us. He's got some physical tools. I wonder if he can cover....

Last edited:

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bolton may be the best UDFA since Sam Shields, I'm really high on him. I'm hoping the medical situation on him means maybe he missed 2-3 games and is out there to give Burks the maximum time to heal. That might be why Gute is slow to deal.

Also Randy Ramsey anyone? He's played DE/OLB in college and OLB for us. He's got some physical tools. I wonder if he can cover....
That's the issue with guys who play DE/OLB that tweener role. James Crawford was also DE/OLB in college now ILB. He's slowllyyy transitioning into a true middle linebacker, emphasis on slow lol.

Similarly, Carl Bradford from acouple of drafts ago. DE/OLB to ILB. His college tape showed he was relentless and nonstop motor. Got to the pros, too small to play DE or OLB. ILB was just too much for him (mentally and understanding schemes/diagnosing plays). Also Nate Palmer, Sam Barrington etc...

BUT doesnt hurt to try Ramsay at ILB.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly believe Bolton can and will push Crawford out. Purely because he played ILB for 3 years at Oklahoma.

Sam Barrington was RAW but I'm a Florida Homer so sue me....

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
honestly believe Bolton can and will push Crawford out. Purely because he played ILB for 3 years at Oklahoma.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

That's what I saw too when I watched the Oklahoma vs Bama & OK vs TCU (Summers vs Bolton comparison). In that TCU game Summers had alot of missed tackles and alittle slow to diagnose some plays. But Summers played fast and was around the football, had decent coverage skills. Flipped to the other defense, Bolton was just the heart of that OK defense. He's definitely small and its obvious lol. But damn he was everywhere. Fast to diagnose plays. tight coverage. That's when I was like.. okay this Bolton kid could push Summers and Crawford down the chart.

Last edited:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really want to see him out there because he looks this good as a rookie, imagine what a whole NFL offseason does?

He could literally determine the course of the 2020 Draft Class. ILB could go from being a 1st Rounder to maybe just a 4th. We could be talking a QB in the 2nd instead of 5th.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I honestly believe Bolton can and will push Crawford out. Purely because he played ILB for 3 years at Oklahoma.

Sam Barrington was RAW but I'm a Florida Homer so sue me....

That isn't really saying much. ;) Crawford played well on special teams, but so far has appeared pretty lost when it comes to playing ILB in the NFL.

Hard to believe we are only 8 days away from the first game and the Packers ILB position is what I would call "a mess". I am glad some of you guys think that UDFA rookies are good enough to play there, but I am not.

I hope Martinez stays healthy or its not going to be pretty.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That isn't really saying much. ;) Crawford played well on special teams, but so far has appeared pretty lost when it comes to playing ILB in the NFL.

Hard to believe we are only 8 days away from the first game and the Packers ILB position is what I would call "a mess". I am glad some of you guys think that UDFA rookies are good enough to play there, but I am not.

Mr. Debbie Downer....right on time. :rolleyes::tdown:

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I hope Martinez stays healthy or its not going to be pretty.

Well.. If we were forced to play the Bears this Thursday would you play Bolton over Summers?

I agree with you. I'm not satisfied with playing a rookie (in this case a UDFA) but with what we have now without trading/signing for a ILB vet, it's what we have at hand. If we were to play the Bears this thursday I'd start Bolton over Summers. Would probably be in dime-nickel package 70% of the time. If Martinez goes down.. we are in a world of pain. Summers or Tramon probably takes the helmet.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well.. If we were forced to play the Bears this Thursday would you play Bolton over Summers?

I agree with you. I'm not satisfied with playing a rookie (in this case a UDFA) but with what we have now without trading/signing for a ILB vet, it's what we have at hand. If we were to play the Bears this thursday I'd start Bolton over Summers. Would probably be in dime-nickel package 70% of the time. If Martinez goes down.. we are in a world of pain. Summers or Tramon probably takes the helmet.

Bolton is injured and unless I missed something, they don't know when he will be back. We will be "forced" to play the Bears next Thursday (8 days) and right now, it looks like it would be Summers or Crawford starting at ILB and Raven Greene sliding in on passing downs.

Mr. Debbie Downer....right on time. :rolleyes::tdown:

Call me a Debbie Downer or whatever but come on.....opening the season with a rookie 7th rounder and UDFA's starting and backing up? If you think I am going to get excited about that, don't hold your breath.

This is a defense that finished dead last defending running back screens and 28th defending the flat last year and you think they have improved on that?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Call me a Debbie Downer or whatever but come on.....opening the season with a rookie 7th rounder and UDFA's starting and backing up? If you think I am going to get excited about that, don't hold your breath.

Had Curtis Bolton played in the SEC with those stats, hell even in the American, he'd probably been a 5th Rounder. But outside of defensive backs most defenders in the Big 12 get no love. His size is also a issue.

Maybe I'm still "sipping the kool-aid" on Gute, but while I agree most of the UDFAs won't last past cut day, a good portion of the Day 3 picks and UDFAs have legitimate talent to make an NFL roster or practice squad somewhere.

This isn't the Ted Thompson collection of randoms from D2/D3 schools mixed in with Power Five benchwarmers. He also seems to be going through them at a good rate; the bottom 20 seem to be a very fluid situation, which means the relationship between Gute and MLF seems to be at a very good genesis, vs what we had with MM and TT. I feel like we might actually discover some gems now for once.

All things considered, if everyone was healthy I'd take Bolton over Burks Opening Day. Crawford would be cut and Summers and Burks can fight for the right to take Bolton off the field.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Had Curtis Bolton played in the SEC with those stats, hell even in the American, he'd probably been a 5th Rounder. But outside of defensive backs most defenders in the Big 12 get no love. His size is also a issue.

Which is why he went UnDrafted. Call me a Debbie Downer again and I hope you are right and Bolton turns out to be one of the best UDFA's ever signed, but history isn't with him. Asking him to play a key role in his first year, well that is a whole other aspect of this, but not going to try and convince you.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts