2016 Training Camp - Reports, Comments and Related Banter

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Janis not having fully grasped the playbook lining up at receiver in his third season there's no way I would trust him with making the defensive calls in the secondary.
I Understand. This thought advances on the contingency that he can pick that up. I think the issue with him is the 'fast read' decisions he has to make might be a bit too fast for him. In the back, he has space and more time to make decisions. Of course, it he doesn't get it, just keep him as gunner and kick returner. Might be worth a shot just to see if he can.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I Understand. This thought advances on the contingency that he can pick that up. I think the issue with him is the 'fast read' decisions he has to make might be a bit too fast for him. In the back, he has space and more time to make decisions. Of course, it he doesn't get it, just keep him as gunner and kick returner. Might be worth a shot just to see if he can.

He's fine for this year but if he never gets it as WR he won't be here all that long regardless of STs play. I know Bush is an argument against that train of though but it's not like Bush was handed roster spots over guys much much better then him at the bottom of the CB slots where as Janis is going up against vastly better players at the bottom of the WR depth chart

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The pass rushing drills HEAVILY favor the offense. Defensive players that "shine" in this drill usually win the battle like 1 out of 4 times so Id say it's a pretty good bet that at least one or two of those 11 are against either Peppers or Mathews

Not really sure why you think it'd be suprising for them to have lost in this drill?

Not really sure why you think a 25% success rate is a good score for the defensive player
in the one on one drill. Yes, the drill favors the offensive player but Spriggs' score is
still encouraging for his first week in camp.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p...-are-telling-for-packers-linemen-pass-rushers

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Per Wes Hodkiwicz

Davante Adams having his best practice of camp. Just pulled down deep ball on contested pass from Rollins

Then he commented how Janis made a nice catch however it sounds like that was after another route running issue according to packers.com

"Jeff Janis also had a nice grab on a deep ball, this one from Brett Hundley, as Janis took it away from two defenders. It helped make up for a bad route earlier in practice that led to some words off to the side."

D

Deleted member 6794

As a free safety Janis would have to correctly read the entire opponent's offense and corresponding set up the secondary based on it. I highly doubt he's capable of doing that as he hasn't figured out how to run the proper routes.

He's fine for this year but if he never gets it as WR he won't be here all that long regardless of STs play. I know Bush is an argument against that train of though but it's not like Bush was handed roster spots over guys much much better then him at the bottom of the CB slots where as Janis is going up against vastly better players at the bottom of the WR depth chart

Janis will continue to make the Packers roster as long as he duplicates his performance on special teams from last season and the team doesn't find an adequate replacement for him on these units.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Baranczyk is an excellent analyst, but I lose track of where his articles appear. Thanks for posting.

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question: The Packers are supposed to be 'Professional' football players. Why all the fundamental stuff? You would figure they should be working more on 'advanced technique' not fundamentals.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question: The Packers are supposed to be 'Professional' football players. Why all the fundamental stuff? You would figure they should be working more on 'advanced technique' not fundamentals.
Because that's what's important, at every level. No matter the sport, it's always about fundamentals. They never stop being important, and they never stop requiring attention. Olympic wrestlers drill takedowns they learned at age 5. Michael Phelps still works on his basic strokes. Aaron Rodgers still concentrates on footwork. Running backs always work on ball security. Linemen on hand placement and footwork. And none of it means squat if you pad level isn't correct.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because that's what's important, at every level. No matter the sport, it's always about fundamentals. They never stop being important, and they never stop requiring attention. Olympic wrestlers drill takedowns they learned at age 5. Michael Phelps still works on his basic strokes. Aaron Rodgers still concentrates on footwork. Running backs always work on ball security. Linemen on hand placement and footwork. And none of it means squat if you pad level isn't correct.

Great post. Iowa and Penn State wrestling, arguably the two best programs in the country, consistently work on the basics. A big reason they are so good is having better fundamentals than almost everyone else. Good luck to anyone simply trying to make a good Iowa wrestling come out of his stance.

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But that seems to be 'all' they do. Fundamentals are a foundation for advancement, not the end goal. If you get no further than the foundation, you can never build the rest of the house.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not "all" they do. Fundamentals are a part of every drill, scenario, redzone, 2 minute, Special team, etc session they do in practice. What would be "non-fundamental" work for you? It doesn't matter if you have the biggest and baddest blitz scheme in the NFL or if you have a passing tree that spreads out over miles and miles. If you can't beat get lower than the guy across from you, beat a jam, run a crisp route, deliver the ball on time and accurately, or catch it when it gets there, it won't matter. everybody hates the term, but pad level, hand placement, ball placement, footwork etc are all essential on every single play. If all you do is walk thru the motions of an incredibly complex trick play, you won't ever have a chance to use it when it matters.

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not "all" they do. Fundamentals are a part of every drill, scenario, redzone, 2 minute, Special team, etc session they do in practice. What would be "non-fundamental" work for you? It doesn't matter if you have the biggest and baddest blitz scheme in the NFL or if you have a passing tree that spreads out over miles and miles. If you can't beat get lower than the guy across from you, beat a jam, run a crisp route, deliver the ball on time and accurately, or catch it when it gets there, it won't matter. everybody hates the term, but pad level, hand placement, ball placement, footwork etc are all essential on every single play. If all you do is walk thru the motions of an incredibly complex trick play, you won't ever have a chance to use it when it matters.
Just poking here a bit. Things seemed to be getting a bit stale. Got 4 more weeks of boredom before things get really exciting again. Anybody else have something they want to poke about?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just poking here a bit. Things seemed to be getting a bit stale. Got 4 more weeks of boredom before things get really exciting again. Anybody else have something they want to poke about?
After we finally get to see them tonight I will

Otherwise Janis seems to be carrying the offseason and should we or should t we sign more TEs seems to be trying a comeback, but after tonight, we should have more to talk about

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts