2016 Training Camp - Reports, Comments and Related Banter

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not making any predictions concerning Adams. It was just a televised practice.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spriggs may have been beaten in the 11 on 11 drills by Peppers and Matthews. Usually the one on one drills
are more challenging, but I could not find a complete list of defensive players he has faced in the one on one
drills. I'm guessing it does not include Peppers and Matthews, but I do believe it includes Perry, Fackrell and
Elliot.

FWIW a local Green Bay news station has a nightly training camp report and both Ty Montgomery and TJ
Lang were interviewed the other day and sounded optimistic that they would be able to practice soon.

The pass rushing drills HEAVILY favor the offense. Defensive players that "shine" in this drill usually win the battle like 1 out of 4 times so Id say it's a pretty good bet that at least one or two of those 11 are against either Peppers or Mathews.

Not really sure why you think it'd be suprising for them to have lost in this drill?

D

Deleted member 6794

abby is a shoo in for sure and I think janis might take it from adams.

Once again, it's a given that Janis won't get any significant playing time as long as he doesn't reduce the number of mental mistakes.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The pass rushing drills HEAVILY favor the offense. Defensive players that "shine" in this drill usually win the battle like 1 out of 4 times so Id say it's a pretty good bet that at least one or two of those 11 are against either Peppers or Mathews.

Not really sure why you think it'd be suprising for them to have lost in this drill?

Even in game how many times do the great ones win? Rushing the passer is like hitting in baseball, how many plus hitters can move the runners when they're producing hits .250-.320. Spriggs is where most figured he'd be, he needs a full NFL off season to fill out his body yet.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doesn't look good for Adams. he had couple of passes that should have been caught. abby is a shoo in for sure and I think janis might take it from adams.

Janis did absolutely nothing at the scrimmage. Abby and Adams are clearly ahead of him on the outside. Adams' drops are an issue but he did maje some nice plays as well. I think Abby passes Adams before Janis

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, it's a given that Janis won't get any significant playing time as long as he doesn't reduce the number of mental mistakes.

I don't feel any more confidence in Janis than I do with Adams. Both are two peas that you just can't rely on. I know we are still ahead of ourselves with preseason and practice and try to give these guys the benefit of doubt but, how many more "gimmes" are we going to give Janis and Adams? I want nothing more for these guys to help the team but Janis and Adams continue to do what they do and it's not building any confidence to management or fans.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis did absolutely nothing at the scrimmage. Abby and Adams are clearly ahead of him on the outside. Adams' drops are an issue but he did maje some nice plays as well. I think Abby passes Adams before Janis

thats the thing about Adams, when you need him to make clutch plays he fails. just like he did in the 2 min. drill where those catches should have been caught but he lets them slip threw his butter fingers.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't feel any more confidence in Janis than I do with Adams. Both are two peas that you just can't rely on. I know we are still ahead of ourselves with preseason and practice and try to give these guys the benefit of doubt but, how many more "gimmes" are we going to give Janis and Adams? I want nothing more for these guys to help the team but Janis and Adams continue to do what they do and it's not building any confidence to management or fans.

As I've mentioned in another thread if Adams and Janis continue to struggle in training camp the battle for the starting spot opposite Nelson will most likely be wide open.

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see the rookie Davis win the 3rd WR spot. I know that's a bold statement, rookies need time to learn but I get a good feeling about him. I think he's going to be a huge playmaker for us.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd like to see the rookie Davis win the 3rd WR spot. I know that's a bold statement, rookies need time to learn but I get a good feeling about him. I think he's going to be a huge playmaker for us.

It's important to realize that four other California pass catchers finished with more receptions than Davis in 2015. Therefore I think the expectations for him should kept in check for his rookie season.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll see if Janis improves in the coming weeks, he's always started slowly in camp and then picked it up after the first 1-2 weeks. I think we'll see him as a contributor this season for jet sweeps decoy routes and quick sideline tosses. If the Safety is shading over him go route to pull the safety, if not and the corner is playing off him quick pass outside. Of course there's a big difference between being a package player and a true #2. He looks a little stiff in his routes for a primary receiver.

Adams has the yips, kids chasing it out there. He's very graceful and moves well, could be a great one if he could get over the nerves.

D

Deleted member 6794

We'll see if Janis improves in the coming weeks, he's always started slowly in camp and then picked it up after the first 1-2 weeks.

It seems like I missed Janis picking it up after a slow start to camp over the last two seasons.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis 2014

I remember fans were excited about the big 6'3 guy with the 4.42 40, but I remember that his earliest practice reports weren't too flattering. He was stiff, ran bad routes and didn't really look like much of a player. That was on top of his shingles problem. Not much to conclude from the above link but Flynn suggests that he didn't really look that good on the practice field.

D

Deleted member 6794

I remember fans were excited about the big 6'3 guy with the 4.42 40, but I remember that his earliest practice reports weren't too flattering. He was stiff, ran bad routes and didn't really look like much of a player.

Unfortunately the part in bold still holds true as of today.

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A thought for consumption: What if Janis never 'gets it'. He is obviously a great ST guy. What about taking a different approach, what about converting him to FS. He has great size, decent hands, great speed, and adequate tackling skills already shown as a gunner, why not let him sit back there and see how many he can pick off?

D

Deleted member 6794

A thought for consumption: What if Janis never 'gets it'. He is obviously a great ST guy. What about taking a different approach, what about converting him to FS. He has great size, decent hands, great speed, and adequate tackling skills already shown as a gunner, why not let him sit back there and see how many he can pick off?

With Janis not having fully grasped the playbook lining up at receiver in his third season there's no way I would trust him with making the defensive calls in the secondary.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Datone Jones looked pretty natural out there at OLB elephant end. Still early and he's been flashing ability throughout his career. But he looks natural playing lighter and out wide.

That's the second time we took a player with a high draft pick and he turned out to be overstuffed. Maybe TT should adopt the OL strategy with the D-line. Just keep bringing in UDFAs and middle round draft picks. Build a pipeline and make guys fight for roster spots. If Lowry's T camp play isn't a mirage it might turn out that TTs best Dline picks were a 4th rounder, a 5th rounder and a udfa(assuming Pennel's play doesn't fall off).

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe TT should adopt the OL strategy with the D-line. Just keep bringing in UDFAs and middle round draft picks.

Thompson has selected offensive linemen early over his tenure as well (Sherrod and Bulaga in the first round, Spriggs and Colledge in the second and Spitz in the third) but has been more successful later in the draft.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts