2010 draft

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
It's good that TT has been listening to me.

I've been tooting Kyle Wilson's horn for the last week. (Along with Jahvid Best)

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His value going up worries me a lot now. It's not that he may be a bit overrated but its the amount of teams who will be touting him in the draft. He is obviously not worth a first round pick as many experts say but the LATEST that we would have a chance to draft this kid would be picks 1-10 in the second round. Personally I believe that TT should draft a OT with the 23rd pick even if they don't seem worth it(not many ppl said that Oher was a 1st round pick either last yr but the ravens did because of "need" and it has worked out fine.). Then what we would have to do is somehow trade up in the second round.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His value going up worries me a lot now. It's not that he may be a bit overrated but its the amount of teams who will be touting him in the draft. He is obviously not worth a first round pick as many experts say but the LATEST that we would have a chance to draft this kid would be picks 1-10 in the second round. Personally I believe that TT should draft a OT with the 23rd pick even if they don't seem worth it(not many ppl said that Oher was a 1st round pick either last yr but the ravens did because of "need" and it has worked out fine.). Then what we would have to do is somehow trade up in the second round.
A lot of players' values are rising. That means a lot of highly touted players who once were considered out of reach will be available to us.

I have to admit, I once highly questioned TT's draft abilities.

I do, however, thrust the man in this case, that he'll pick very good players for us. Just don't draft a receiver, for crying out loud! (Unless he's a dynamic KR/PR).

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has anyone done much looking at this kid from Indiana Roger Saffold? I think he was the one I was watching in the Shrine Bowl... I thought he did a good job on the left side. Could get good value out of him.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has anyone done much looking at this kid from Indiana Roger Saffold? I think he was the one I was watching in the Shrine Bowl... I thought he did a good job on the left side. Could get good value out of him.

Saffold has a history with neck and back injuries. He is slated to go in the third round and that's where I see us taking him.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My old man was hollering for Oher last year. I agree with you though, I think we need to get this best overall pick out of everybodies vocabulary. The Packers are not far off from a Superbowl, lets fill a need here and make a run at this thing.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My old man was hollering for Oher last year. I agree with you though, I think we need to get this best overall pick out of everybodies vocabulary. The Packers are not far off from a Superbowl, lets fill a need here and make a run at this thing.
Oh, absolutely, we need to fill a need.

But isn't CB a need? Isn't OLB, ILB, DE also a need? Isn't a gamechanger back a need, specially if he's also a KR/PR?

That's where people get confused.

We don't have a single, specific need. We need to take the best player available in one of the weak areas of our team.

Nobody's asking for a WR or a QB. Unless this wr is a KR/PR, position which we SORELY need.

OL is a huge need, and we'll HAVE to adress it THIS YEAR. But it doesn't necessarily have to be in the 1st round of the draft, and nothing guarantees that getting a 1st rounder OL will translate into fixing it.

The AFC champions Colts traded a future 1st round pick to select Tony Ugoh. The starter? a 6th rounder Charlie Johnson.

There are more examples of that, a clear one which I'm not going to bring up.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only that. Who said they drafted Oher because of need only? Who says they didn't rank him higher than that, and really wanted him?

He wasn't their most pressing need. It was almost unanimous that their biggest need was WR, and after that CB...

A lot of people didn't consider CM3 a 1st rounder either, don't forget that...

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I am still confused as to why Grant is so terrible to have? He has had decent years for us. Why are we in desperate need to advance that position.

As far as having a first round OT, I equate the first and second round as guys that can start right now. After that you draft to build upon the players talents and game awareness. So if we are getting a first round OT, he should be playing (or good enough to be playing).

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I am still confused as to why Grant is so terrible to have? He has had decent years for us. Why are we in desperate need to advance that position.

As far as having a first round OT, I equate the first and second round as guys that can start right now. After that you draft to build upon the players talents and game awareness. So if we are getting a first round OT, he should be playing (or good enough to be playing).

We need another RB to pair with Grant because I don't think Grant can cut it as just our sole RB. He's not athletic enough and versatile enough to be in that role. We need a change-of-pace back that can complement Grant in the running game. We need a back that is a threat to get a TD at anytime. With grant we don't have that threat. No one's really afraid of Grant.

The 1st and 2nd round OT's usually should be good enough to play, but that shouldn't matter to us. TT might re-sign Clifton and Tausch, so we could let a huge "upside" OT improve his skills and transition to the NFL game.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Explain how does Tebow's draft stock or whatever they called it change?

Is it because of his performance in that game they played?

I dont see how he failed tbh he was a great college QB playing vs other college players

Well, I don't think it was much of a surprise that his draft stock would be down. Everyone knew what was wrong with his QB skills, the senior bowl just really magnified those problems.

He did have a mediocre performance and that's being very generous.

Tebow was apart of Urban Meyer's system, so scouts knew that when they were about to see him perform in the senior bowl.

Just read some of the reports about Tebow, they should explain why his stock is down now.

2010 Senior Bowl: Stock Watch

Tim Tebow, QB, Florida – Tebow deserves a lot of praise for just showing up this week and accepting coaching throughout the week and I hope that Tebow’s magnified struggles this week don’t discourage players from showing up in the future. What we saw this week from Tebow was a release that’s among the worst I’ve seen from highly projected picks over the last decade. His mechanics make Byron Leftwich seem like Dan Marino. He showed marginal arm strength on the short and intermediate ball, but consistently threw a very pretty deep ball. Tebow struggled to make quick reads and seemed hesitant to throw passes to receivers just coming out of their breaks. He had a lot of help playing mostly out of the shotgun during the game, yet still finished with the worst yards per attempt of all six quarterbacks.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding Grant. It's not the fact that he can't cut it as our only running back; he can.

However, there's not the fear factor in Grant. He'll never force teams to stack the box. He might some times force them to bait the playfake, but teams absolutely don't gameplan for him.

Grant is the perfect complementary back. But we need the other half, so other teams may fear our running game. Something that doesn't happen now.

So another back would take our offense to another level.

But that back must be a real burner. So if someone like that, C.J. Spiller, we should take him. But IMHO Best would not be a better option than an OL.

The fact is, only one addition to our OL won't make it dominant. With a dominant OL, I have no doubt Grant would be an excelent back by himself.

But with a speed back to complement him, it'll improve tons our running game, and also provide a boost to our passing attack, not only as a receiving threat, but also as a fear factor...

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know that that caliber of running back will be available to us (or is available to anyone). Moreno was the leading rookie back last year with just shy of 1000 yards and 7TDs. He was the featured back. Beanie Wells was in a time share and had around 750 yrds and 7 TDs. I'm not sure that Best of Spiller are capable of those numbers... Do we want a first round pick that might go for 500 yards and 4 TD's? Is that worth the first pick? I'm not completely against it, but I just want people to think about the fact that a change of pace back may not be all its cracked up to be.

Woodson4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If i was picking between Best and Spiller i go with Spiller. Yeah they are both fast but i just think Spiller has more of an elusiveness to him and we do need a back because brandon jackson just doesn't cut it, and Grant can't take all the carries.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If i was picking between Best and Spiller i go with Spiller. Yeah they are both fast but i just think Spiller has more of an elusiveness to him and we do need a back because brandon jackson just doesn't cut it, and Grant can't take all the carries.

I think it all depends to the extent of resigning green. He didn't loook bad at all during the limited time he played.

Woodson4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it all depends to the extent of resigning green. He didn't loook bad at all during the limited time he played.

That is a very good piont i did like him and the weird thing is he literally came out of no wher.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I think Spiller is the consensus better back of the two. I just think Spiller will be long gone by the time the Packers pick.

I think we'd all rather have Spiller, I just don't think we're going to get the opportunity.

AlDay31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pardon the interruption;
BUT: Mayock got Angerer on 4 at his ILB-list, and with his eye-opening comebine yet to come, I doubt he still will be there midway in the 3rd, where he would be a perfect pick for the pack.

Kutch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Spiller is the consensus better back of the two. I just think Spiller will be long gone by the time the Packers pick.

I think we'd all rather have Spiller, I just don't think we're going to get the opportunity.

I'm not high on drafting a running back at this position; although, it has seemed to work for the Cardinals with Beanie Wells. I would rather see them bolster the secondary with their first pick. Kyle Wilson is a nice player who could step into a starting role when Harris finally breaks down for good. Woodson is only getting older too. Otherwise, maybe Taylor Mays...

For running back help, we should consider signing a proven threat who runs hard and picks up the tough yards. Guys like Jerious Norwood, Chester Taylor, and Le'Ron McClain would work here. Taylor has been a backup for most of his career so he's got mileage left. Norwood would be a good change of pace guy. McClain could be useful as a lead blocker in the Full House or short yardage situations. I think McClain is just as good as Tim Hightower between the tackles. Or we could take a flyer on someone in the mid-rounds. Hardesty, McCluster, Scott, Gerhart, and Tate all grade fairly well. I hear from a few sources that Charles Scott could be a potential sleeper. McCluster would satisfy our return needs and he'd be a pretty good receiver out of the backfield... The Packers are historically terrible at evaluating running back talent via the draft so I never have much faith in anyone they choose.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pardon the interruption;
BUT: Mayock got Angerer on 4 at his ILB-list, and with his eye-opening comebine yet to come, I doubt he still will be there midway in the 3rd, where he would be a perfect pick for the pack.
I just love Angerer and Edds.

Both are TERRIFIC in coverage, just what we need.

We can take one at the 4th.

I think we can solve almost all our problems with one or two key FA and this draft... It's all there.

Imagine this: FA: OL. 1st: OLB 2nd: CB 3rd: S 4th: ILB 5th: KR 6th: P 7th: QB.

It's all there...

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spiller is far and away a better back than Jahvid Best, and even though I am a big fan of Bests, if you watch Clemson film there is one player who jumps out at you EVERY SINGLE GAME, and that player is spiller. He runs well, he catches well, he blocks well, and he returns kicks and punts incredibly well (something that our team needs desperate help in, because as much as I like Jordy Nelson, he is one of the most timid returners I have ever seen).

As far as Taylor Mays goes, why are we talking about picking up a safety who can hit but can't cover, when we already have that exact same player (Bigby). For my money we take Myron Rolle in the 2nd or 3rd round, not only is he explosive and BIG, but hes also an incredibly dedicated and hard working human being who skipped one year of BIG money to make a difference and go to that incredibly school over in Britain (the name of said school eludes me at the moment).

Personally I would love this draft

1st round: CJ Spiller or OT (don't necessarily care which one) or CB (Kyle Wilson or Brandon Ghee, who I think will fly up draft boards)

2nd round: If we dont get a Tackle or CB in 1st round we need one here. Im also looking OLB for a replacement for Kampman, Im big on Sergio Kindle and either one of the TCU linebackers.

3rd round: Syd'quan Thompson CB from Cal, incredibly physical corner who competes every play, he is shorter and not a straight line speed guy, but by being physical he re-routes receivers at the line and doesn't let them run their routes, in addition he is always flying around the ball and is the BEST tackling corner to come out of the draft in a few years. Im sorry but im sick and tired of watching Jarret Bush get beat, and then miss the tackle, it's disgusting and pathetic.

And finally, possibly as a FA or 7th round draft pick I would choose O'Brian Schofield, the DE/OLB from Wisconsin, this kid is a freak with an incredibly motor who was having a GREAT senior bowl before he tore his acl. I actually watched it on NFL network when it happened and it didn't look good, but hes such a great talent that I think would fit our scheme perfectly as he is undersized for DE in NFL.

AlDay31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just love Angerer and Edds.

Both are TERRIFIC in coverage, just what we need.

We can take one at the 4th.

I think we can solve almost all our problems with one or two key FA and this draft... It's all there.

Imagine this: FA: OL. 1st: OLB 2nd: CB 3rd: S 4th: ILB 5th: KR 6th: P 7th: QB.

It's all there...
Agree with you on Angerer, and the most part of our draft-strategy, all the way.
But considering, if we sign a OT, it will be an older one, I'm pretty sure, we gotta get another one in the draft. So if we somehow could get another second rounder, hopefully in the top half, and draft Brandon Ghee or Javier Arenas and Jason Fox(just thinkin' a bit), it would be huge.
or, if we neither get a veteran tackle nor an additional 2nd, which would be highly irresponsible, via FA i'd prefer:
1st: OT (Brown) 2nd: CB 3rd: OLB(Koa Misi) 4th: S (Myron Rolle) 5th: KR/WR (Holliday)

Members online

Latest posts