2010 draft

MNPackAttack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All the "Great" Offensive Tackles will probably be taken by the time we'll pick. Left Tackle is so important that we might need to trade up so we can get one of the elite Tackles in the 2010 draft. We could also draft another position of need, either Corner Back or Running Back. People might argue that Running Back isn't a huge need, but in my mind it is.

Grant has been far too inconsistent to be considered a solid starting running back. He is turning it up now that we are getting late into the season which is great right now, but we can't have a RB who only is good parts of seasons. Even if Grant does somehow step up and become consistent throughout next season(if we don't do something with him in the off-season), we still need a good Power Back like Toby Gerhart or Anthony Dixon. We need a guy who can punch it in if we're having a hard time in the Red Zone, which it seems we do a lot.

i absolutely agree, offensive tackle is the number 1 priority, but Toby Gerhart would be great if he could fall to us. Or, get a pounder later in the draft.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love to see running back in the first round if its not an o-lineman...
No way Spiller falls to us, but Jahvid Best might? any opinions?

Draft sites have been saying Spiller could fall into the later part to the draft along with Jahvid Best. There's also Jonathan Dwyer from Georgia Tech, those are the 3 Running Backs that will probably be taken in the 1st round. They've been projected by a few sites to drop into the mid 20's of the first round, but that is pure speculation. A lot of things could happen with these guys in terms of some of their stock rising or falling because of what happens in the combine.

Spiller is a possibility, but I've heard he could be another Reggie Bush, which is not too enticing. Jahvid Best looks like a beast of a Running Back, I'd probably take him over Spiller. There was one other running back who could be looked at as more of a power runner is Charles Scott from LSU. Haven't seen much of him playing and it seems he will be a mid 2nd rounder to 3rd rounder. The 2 other power runners, Anthony Dixon and Toby Gerhart are pretty much projected the same, mid 2nd to 3rd rounders.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have heard a lot of that with Spiller too being like a Reggie Bush, but if you watch some of his highlights or have seen his games, he has the speed of a Reggie Bush, but is built quite a bit bigger, and has better push through the line than Reggie Bush

gute

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was one who was thinking that we should get a RB to replace Grant, but after the Bears game we again saw what this guy is CAPABLE of doing. Let's see how he does the next three games and hopefully the playoffs. If Spiller to us I say take him because he offers so much in the special teams game and as a home run threat. Best is a good one, but he as suffered three concusions in college and guys hit a lot harder in the pros. Dwyer - is he a system guy or can he be an evry down back in a pro set offense - I don't know.

I would not be suprised if TT trades down this year and picks up an additional three to fill a need.

A 3-4 can never have enough linebackers so I see GB drafting a couple, especially outside linebackers. With that being said should we look at teams that play a base 3-4? There are not a lot in college, maybe 10 teams. Both Matthews and Jones game from teams that played 3-4 defense (USC was more of a hybrid). Those two picks seem to have worked out well so I think there is something to be said about getting linebackers that are already familiar with the 3-4.

gute

Cheesehead
Reaction score
O-line needs to be a priority in the draft especially with the lack of high quality OTs in free agency. I posted on another thread about keeping Clifton and Tauscher, but after watching the Bears game I think it is critical that GB gets NFL ready OTs and one who should be available for us is Calloway from Iowa. Do not be suprised if he sneaks into the first and if we pick him he plays the right side with the potentional to play LT.

If TT re-signs Pickett and Jolly the DL is not a critical need. TT has already re-signed Chillar so that helps with the linebackers, but 1-2 more outside linebackers who fill a need. Re-signing Collins should be a priority, especially with a weak safety draft class and we have no S depth. Re-signing Williams should also be done with Harris' injury and uncertainity with Lee. Colledge should also be signed, but don't overpay. With those guys signed GB can go into the draft looking at the OL much like they did when GB drafted Clifton and Tauscher and later with Colledge and Spitz.

Another need is center and Matthews from A&M would be great - he has the bloodline. One Matthews has already worked so let's get another and when Casey Matthews comes out next year at ILB - pull the trigger.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cornerback has to be addressed in this draft. We need much more depth in the secondary. Bigby has had problems with injuries and that could be another spot to fill in next years draft. I'm guessing we won't see TT drafting a running back since Grant is doing so well now and the contract still being on for another 2 years. Do people think Thompson will draft a running back even next year? I mean I hope he does because Grant is too inconsistent, but I don't see him doing it. It will be drafting an Offensive tackle and more weapons for our 3-4 scheme. Which isn't terrible at all, but he has to realize at some point that Grant isn't worthy of being the Packers starter.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers use their first pick to draft anything other then a OT or a CB it will be a HUGE mistake. Bryan Bulaga appears to be the favorite pick by the mock drafters. Another name I like is Anthony Davis from Rutgers. Those are both pretty good options at OT. A cornerback that I really like is Walter McFadden from Auburn. I think McFadden is going to be a great NFL player and I hope the Packers grab him. A little more popular name is Javier Arenas. A lot of people think he could be the return man we are looking for.

After we address the OT and CB needs, I would consider grabbing another OLB. O'Brien Schofield from Wisconsin will probably be deeper on the draft board, and I wouldn't mind taking him.

Overall, I am guessing TT will find a way to mess this draft class (that is perfect for Packers) up.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the draft order that best fits the Packers:
Rounds:
1) O-Lineman (Preferrably Left Tackle)
2) Cornerback/Safety (Preferrably a hybrid)
3) Gaurd
4) Nose Tackle (BJ Raji has injury history and Pickett might not get resigned)
5) Outside LB
6) Quarterback (third string)
7) Running Back

Also of note, I haven't heard anyone mention this yet but TT will once again make a big draft day trade. I think it will definitely be Aaron Kampman, it would be the perfect time to trade him so we can get a high draft pick this season.

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate the thought of O-Linemen in the 1st rd.

I just think that we can get like a really good one in the 2nd or 3rd, and thats pretty much every year.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, we really need an OT though. I think why people are saying the Packers SHOULD draft an OT in the 1st is because TT has drafted O-Lineman in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and it's not like they've lived up to their potential YET. Some people would consider some of them to be busts maybe.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also of note, I haven't heard anyone mention this yet but TT will once again make a big draft day trade. I think it will definitely be Aaron Kampman, it would be the perfect time to trade him so we can get a high draft pick this season.

Did a news source say this? I hope he does trade Kampman, we need all the help we can get. We need a lot more quality players and have more depth. Would it be worth it more to get a 1st rounder or a 2nd and a 3rd for Kampman? I'd take the 2nd and 3rd since there's tons of talent in this draft. I bet Kiper and MacShay are drooling right now just thinking about it.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did a news source say this? I hope he does trade Kampman, we need all the help we can get. We need a lot more quality players and have more depth. Would it be worth it more to get a 1st rounder or a 2nd and a 3rd for Kampman? I'd take the 2nd and 3rd since there's tons of talent in this draft. I bet Kiper and MacShay are drooling right now just thinking about it.

Not an official story in the news but it's just my prediction. It would be a perfect time to trade Kampman because at that time teams would have their emotions running high enough to not realize whether a decision is right or wrong. I'm not saying that Kampman is a bad player but i doubt he has little left in the tank and trading him on draft day would give TT a steal with a quality 1st or second round pick.

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OLine is probably the weekest link that needs to be addressed in the draft, but there isn't many first-round caliber prospects this year. If they don't like the remaining secondary talent that left at the Packer's pick, I bet the try to trade out of it.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OLine is probably the weekest link that needs to be addressed in the draft, but there isn't many first-round caliber prospects this year.

I disagree with this statement. The OT position is pretty stacked this year. There are some talent juniors that have entered the draft. Many experts are penciling Bryan Bulaga from Iowa as the Packers first round pick from where they are sitting. There is always a Williams from Oklahome who is really talented. Davis from Rutgers. That isn't even including Russel Okung from Oklahoma State (who will probably be the first tackle selected in the draft). This draft is one where I don't think the Packers need to trade away picks at all. The Oline and secondary is pretty stacked in the 2010 draft class.

Reaction score
OT is our biggest need. Saving Rodgers should be top priority. I agree that OT is stacked this year. I also agree that adding another safety and CB would be a good idea. I don't think we need a wr or rb but if we were to go after one I'd rather it be a rb preferably Gerhart but I wouldn't be too mad if we took wr Gilyard though. OT should be our first priority. We need to stack our oline and add depth to our secondary. Everything else would be enhancements.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OT is our biggest need. Saving Rodgers should be top priority. I agree that OT is stacked this year. I also agree that adding another safety and CB would be a good idea. I don't think we need a wr or rb but if we were to go after one I'd rather it be a rb preferably Gerhart but I wouldn't be too mad if we took wr Gilyard though. OT should be our first priority. We need to stack our oline and add depth to our secondary. Everything else would be enhancements.

I couldn't agree more! While the line has improved, WE NEED DEPTH. I feel like it would be ignorant to "draft the best athlete" in this draft... we need to draft for need. The O line and secondary is crucial this draft... cause they can start developing without being thrown into the fire. I have said this guys name many times but Walter McFadden from Auburn is going to be a player some day. I think you let him learn in some nickel packages play with Al and Chuck, he is going to be a stud NFL corner.

Reaction score
I believe the main blessing in this draft is our needs aren't extensive. We could take a OT in the first round, a Cb or safety in the second and the one that wasn't taken in the second be taken in the third. From there another o line addition, another secondary guy maybe a hybrid type player and possibly a d line player just to add bulk. There are lots of options but at least only a few are need.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cinci cheese you make a really valid point. I don't think we HAVE to have someone fill a position. I would really like to see us make some adjustments with the kick return team. Its like slow motion when we receive kicks.

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
23. Green Bay Packers: Bryan Bulaga, T, Iowa
The Packers have one of the top ranked defenses in the 2009 NFL Season so I have them going offense in this 2010 NFL Mock Draft. Bulaga is a good OT that can help protect Aaron Rodgers who has been rushed and sacked way more than a QB of his caliber should be.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't actually watch the game, but I heard Bulaga got manhandled in the bowl game he was just in. Anthony Davis looks like a good OT though.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more! While the line has improved, WE NEED DEPTH. I feel like it would be ignorant to "draft the best athlete" in this draft... we need to draft for need. The O line and secondary is crucial this draft... cause they can start developing without being thrown into the fire. I have said this guys name many times but Walter McFadden from Auburn is going to be a player some day. I think you let him learn in some nickel packages play with Al and Chuck, he is going to be a stud NFL corner.

Hmm Walter Mcfaden is from Pompano Beach, FL, I wonder who else from our team is from there? lol

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would you say that we didn't miss Harris? I was hoping McFadden could take over for him in a couple years. He doesn't do too bad with the cold weather... if nothing else, I am rooting for this kid in the NFL. Learned the hard way to keep his nose to the grind stone!

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
23. Green Bay Packers: Bryan Bulaga, T, Iowa
The Packers have one of the top ranked defenses in the 2009 NFL Season so I have them going offense in this 2010 NFL Mock Draft. Bulaga is a good OT that can help protect Aaron Rodgers who has been rushed and sacked way more than a QB of his caliber should be.

While I think GB should find an OT in the draft, I think the Pack should find a veteran OT through Free Agency or trade. The time is now, and it takes too long to mold an OT.

Thoughts: Kampman, Hawk, 3rd or 4th rounder, for Joe Thomas & a 6th rounder? Just throwing something like that out there. Maybe I'm way off.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts