2010 draft

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Thomas is going to be expensive... but maybe that is the cost of winning. I would like to see the Packers acquire some picks this year and start gaining some depth.

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree with this statement. The OT position is pretty stacked this year. There are some talent juniors that have entered the draft. Many experts are penciling Bryan Bulaga from Iowa as the Packers first round pick from where they are sitting. There is always a Williams from Oklahome who is really talented. Davis from Rutgers. That isn't even including Russel Okung from Oklahoma State (who will probably be the first tackle selected in the draft). This draft is one where I don't think the Packers need to trade away picks at all. The Oline and secondary is pretty stacked in the 2010 draft class.

Okung, Williams, and Bulaga are good prospects and I don't think any of them make it to the Packers pick. The o-line class this year is top heavy. After those three, there are plenty of decent prospects, but none that worthy of a first round pick. Maybe that will change after the combines.

monkeyracer43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Thomas is going to be expensive... but maybe that is the cost of winning. I would like to see the Packers acquire some picks this year and start gaining some depth.

He will be expensive, and competition will be high. However, the Packers can afford to open up the checkbook for him, and he'd be worth every penny.

LTRAIN72

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't actually watch the game, but I heard Bulaga got manhandled in the bowl game he was just in. Anthony Davis looks like a good OT though.
I did watch the game and I thought Bulaga was pretty good. He was dominant in run blocking for sure. There are other concerns (pass protection, health) but he definitely looks the part.

I think TJ Lang could turn out to be a fine starter at either OT spot for us next year.

The most glaring weakness to me is the pass rush/play-making from our other OLB. After Matthews forced the early fumble, they had help on him the rest of the day. Jones surprised me overall with how he played when he took over for Aaron, but I would go for a playmaker there and if Sergio Kindle is available, no-brainer. He can do it all and he played off that defensive left side all year in the Texas scheme. Our lack of pressure showed up huge in our losses this year. Like McCarthy said early in the year about our lack of pressure, sometimes you just have to whip the guy in front of you. We need another guy that can do that.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely agree we need another good rushing OLB opposite side of CM3. Kindle, Hughes, or Graham could all be viable options.

Reaction score
Ok after some thinking and some thoughts on free agency (after input of many fine posters here from various posts) here is a plan:

First we pick up Donald Penn from FA. That gives us a solid T. Resign Mark Tauscher (it says he is a FA on a site Im looking at if not disregard). That takes care of our O line Having TJ Lang as another T/G with Sitton as a G and Wells as our C. Then the
O line is solved.

Second Resign Nick Collins! Then Picket. I would Also like to see us Keep Bigby but We'll see. I love Kampman but I dont think the 3-4 is for him. He is a pass rushing DE. with all that our D is still good but needs some upgrades and depth. That brings us to the Draft.

The Draft:
Seeing our needs a OT being taken care of lets us look at other needs on our team. With our first pick and the 23rd pick of the 2010 draft the Green Bay Packers selection: Sergio Kindle. Adding another Pass rusher to help CM3. We also Pick up P. Cox (CB), P. Angerer (ILB), W. Mcfadden (CB), F. Barnes (WR).

I think if I were to all fall like that everything would work out just fine.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok after some thinking and some thoughts on free agency (after input of many fine posters here from various posts) here is a plan:

First we pick up Donald Penn from FA. That gives us a solid T. Resign Mark Tauscher (it says he is a FA on a site Im looking at if not disregard). That takes care of our O line Having TJ Lang as another T/G with Sitton as a G and Wells as our C. Then the
O line is solved.

Second Resign Nick Collins! Then Picket. I would Also like to see us Keep Bigby but We'll see. I love Kampman but I dont think the 3-4 is for him. He is a pass rushing DE. with all that our D is still good but needs some upgrades and depth. That brings us to the Draft.

The Draft:
Seeing our needs a OT being taken care of lets us look at other needs on our team. With our first pick and the 23rd pick of the 2010 draft the Green Bay Packers selection: Sergio Kindle. Adding another Pass rusher to help CM3. We also Pick up P. Cox (CB), P. Angerer (ILB), W. Mcfadden (CB), F. Barnes (WR).

I think if I were to all fall like that everything would work out just fine.

Mr. Ted Thompson... you have met your match. I like the way you think! I will say this though. I want some boys that played in the midwest. I don't like bringing in a completely warm weather bunch. Therefore... I would rather have Brandon Graham from Michigan. I had a chance to watch him play against the Badgers this year. HE IS A BEAST. I also really like O'brien Schofield from Wisconsin. He will be a great pick late in the draft.

PS... I would really like us to snag a ILB at some point. Thats where I like Angerer. I want someone who can run a little bit. Hawk is NOT the answer.

Reaction score
Mr. Ted Thompson... you have met your match. I like the way you think! I will say this though. I want some boys that played in the midwest. I don't like bringing in a completely warm weather bunch. Therefore... I would rather have Brandon Graham from Michigan. I had a chance to watch him play against the Badgers this year. HE IS A BEAST. I also really like O'brien Schofield from Wisconsin. He will be a great pick late in the draft.

PS... I would really like us to snag a ILB at some point. Thats where I like Angerer. I want someone who can run a little bit. Hawk is NOT the answer.

The weather thing is true. Having a monster midwest boy is a good thing. We can swap him with Sergio Kindle. Also I knew I forgot someone last night. O'brien Schofield should have been in there.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cincinatti cheasehead i like the way you think. Snagging Donald Penn would be a great option but a thing that worries me is his injury history. He never really finishes the season as he is taken out of the lineup sometimes. We would pretty much be getting another chad clifton but at a younger age. I think everyone here agrees that wells is the solution for center. He interacts well with a-rodg at the line of scrimmage and is smart with his protection adjustments. Spitz can't do any of that, in fact the only reason the coaching staff moved him to center was b/c of his physicality not mental skills. Your draft picks are solid, angerer and p cox are my two favorite late round playrs and i hope the packers find some way to acquire them. I'm still a bit skeptical about who we'll choose for the first round. I would be happy if we got donald penn and say "problem solved" but it's never that easy so i still think an o-lineman would be the best pick. Too bad ndamukong suh is such a top rated player because i think he would fit with our defense more than any of the other teams who will likely get him. Experts say that he isn't that big for an nfl caliber 4-3 DT and too big to play end. He is the perfect 3-4 d lineman. I know that this will NEVER EVER happen b/c of our brilliant GM but i would make a trade with the Rams for that first overall pick. I would trade aaron kampman along with aj hawk or another draft pick for pick#1. it works out for both teams because they get our old 4-3 pieces that won't really do as any good in the new defense.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would take more then Kampman and Hawk to get the 1st overall pick. Way more. At least those 2 guys, 2nd rounder, and our 1st rounder.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would take more then Kampman and Hawk to get the 1st overall pick. Way more. At least those 2 guys, 2nd rounder, and our 1st rounder.

Nah i doubt it would take that much. Kampman has proved that he is a second round caliber player and we might be able to fool the rams GM into thinking that hawk retains his 4th overall pick status. I know its a long shot but i think with the way our dfence has been transitioning it helps to start with the trenches. BJ raji and clay matthews are just the begginnig, we'll need at least 1 more 1st round caliber player to get it rolling. I know dilligaff is probably gonna hate me for this post since he keeps preaching about our o-line woes while i talking defense LOL :)

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Suh is a beast, but if we did somehow get the 1st overall pick, we'd have to get Okung. That really isn't up for much debate. I do realize how great Suh is, an absolute terror for O-Lines. An O-Lineman would have to be taken. I see why you'd want Suh though.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Snagging Donald Penn would be a great option but a thing that worries me is his injury history. He never really finishes the season as he is taken out of the lineup sometimes.

He's played 16 games in each of the past two seasons. :dontknow:

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's played 16 games in each of the past two seasons. :dontknow:

Let me clarify, he starts all 16 games but midway through a game he gets taken out, if that happens to us then we are still left thinking about who our LT is going to be.

Reaction score
Cincinatti cheasehead i like the way you think. Snagging Donald Penn would be a great option but a thing that worries me is his injury history. He never really finishes the season as he is taken out of the lineup sometimes. We would pretty much be getting another chad clifton but at a younger age. I think everyone here agrees that wells is the solution for center. He interacts well with a-rodg at the line of scrimmage and is smart with his protection adjustments. Spitz can't do any of that, in fact the only reason the coaching staff moved him to center was b/c of his physicality not mental skills. Your draft picks are solid, angerer and p cox are my two favorite late round playrs and i hope the packers find some way to acquire them. I'm still a bit skeptical about who we'll choose for the first round. I would be happy if we got donald penn and say "problem solved" but it's never that easy so i still think an o-lineman would be the best pick. Too bad ndamukong suh is such a top rated player because i think he would fit with our defense more than any of the other teams who will likely get him. Experts say that he isn't that big for an nfl caliber 4-3 DT and too big to play end. He is the perfect 3-4 d lineman. I know that this will NEVER EVER happen b/c of our brilliant GM but i would make a trade with the Rams for that first overall pick. I would trade aaron kampman along with aj hawk or another draft pick for pick#1. it works out for both teams because they get our old 4-3 pieces that won't really do as any good in the new defense.

I agree with the possibilities of injury problems. I'm really looking ways for us to maximize our growth add needs. I know are main need is protecting #12. Taking a OT in the first round may be the best option.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A lot of you don't seem to get that just taking an OT in the first round won't do anything immediately. An OT that has some effect his rookie year comes around like once every 10 years. An OT should definitely be taken, but we need to have plans for a more immediate fix.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of you don't seem to get that just taking an OT in the first round won't do anything immediately. An OT that has some effect his rookie year comes around like once every 10 years. An OT should definitely be taken, but we need to have plans for a more immediate fix.

Well the best initiative would be to to get a coach who can actually teach an o-line how to block. M3 did say he didn't rule out changing his coaching staff so this is what he was probably hinting at. I'm not that good with that department but who are good o-line coaches out there?

Reaction score
I concur if we were able to steal Mike Munchak from the titans our o line could be boss. He takes mid round picks a develops them into good if not great o line men. Another good o line coach is Paul Boudreau from the falcons. The possibility of either of those are slim but would be great. I just wanna see the pack grow and get better and make a serious Super Bowl run.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has anyone seen espn's mel kiper's latest mock draft? He has us picking taylor mays. Thoughts?

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt Mays falls that far in the draft. I think Mel made a mistake, he had the steelers taking Bulaga. I think he should switch their pick with ours, everybody wins.

ehoepker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about CJ Spiller? The man is an explosive back that has great kick/punt return capabilities. I think he could be our Percy Harvin.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Senior Bowl Update: TT is looking intently at Kyle Wilson from Boise State who analysts have been saying that his stock rose over the course of senior bowl practices. It would be great if we could draft this guy, he has tremendous ball skills and is a darelle-revis type player in man coverage.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MfSrrGZU2k]YouTube - #1 Kyle Wilson 11 Career INTs at Boise State[/ame]

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn... that's some ball skills... The last play, I have problems with that. If it was a pump fake, the man in the flat he was covering would be wide open... But he made the play, no question about it.

Hey, I'd like us to pick an OL in the first round, but I wouldn't complain if we fixed our secondary for the foreseeable future...

Members online

Latest posts