Week 12 In Minny: Season And MM's Job On The Line

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a weird way, I just dont feel all that bad about the messy state of the Pack. Yes most likely were out of it now, but looking back at the games thus far we BEAT the Vikings. The Rams and seahawks we were one drive away with a offense running on 7 cylinders. Very easy for us to be 7-3 today. We are alot closer than our record shows. Rodgers with all his troubles has some really good numbers...give the WR an off season and they will come back better. coupled that with Pettine D and a good draft our arrow is pointing UP for sure. We are going to be OK. My glass is have full today!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're missing my point entirely. Yes the argument could be said about our past defeats and the one tie arguably, but as I already pointed out there is no team that is head and shoulders better. Hence why I brought up those past losses, as something can be taken away from them as with any defeat. You're saying how I'm looking at the positives, I'd say i'm looking at the negatives in a more positive light. I guess you can say I see the glass half full and you see it half empty as the saying goes. I'll bring those games into question

Chicago: Considering how we gift wrapped Chicago at least 2 of their scores, I don't see how you come to the conclusion. Are they better defensively? Sure, but at the same time we adjusted and held their offense to 3 points in the second half.

Minnesota: Considering how we lead through most of the game again I don't see how you draw the conclusion, considering we pretty much allowed them to come back, plus some questionable calls, but hey what's done is done.

San Fran: I say that was more of an aberration on their part personally. Nevertheless we managed to overcome and we got the win.

I never said take a single play and the game would've been won, I said if we played an entire 4 quarters the way then we'd probably would be in better position. Those teams we lost to I don't see them as being head and shoulders better than us. As a result we take something from our defeats and apply them to the next games. That is something you can always take in defeat. If you want to call it me being positive, fine that is your opinion of course, I see it as learning opportunity to salvage our season. As again I mentioned there is no team that is head and shoulders better than us in my estimation.

I'm not putting us anywhere dude. I have both acknowledged and understand we're in a tight spot right now, and the odds certainly don't look good. I just see things from a differently. I'm simply see this as an opportunity where we can learn and grow. There are plenty of games left to be played. We've been in this position before and we've faced these kinds of odds before. How we face them is what will define us. Will we show resilience and guts and salvage what's left of the season? Or do we fold under the crumbling pressure?

To quote a wise Mandrill: Oh yes the past can hurt, but the way I see it, we can either run from it. Or learn from it.

What The Packers do from here remains to be seen.

That's great, if we learn from them. The thing is I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe we will. Aaron Jones had his best game against the Dolphins (and that was a win) . What did we learn? Apparently we learned to give him the ball less. That's what I am talking about. Now if we come out against the vikings and get him 20 touches and he has a great game I will say maybe we did learn something from the Seahawks game regarding that particular aspect of the game. I will wait to see if that happens though.

As far as playing 4 quarters, again I agree, I just haven't seen any evidence that we will even though I think we can. I even think we can run the table again, I don't think we will but I think we can. But nothing, or should I say very little I have seen up to this point gives me much hope that we can overcome what needs to be overcome.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
One win at Minnesota and things get mighty interesting. That would definitely classify as that “galvanizing” moment Rodgers was referring to.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s a frustrating year to say the least. This team is good enough, and comes close, but just can’t seem to find a way to finish

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just imagine we actually start running an efficent offense, and score 30+ Pettine defense gets to play with a lead....gets to play downhill. you will start to see 34-10 type of games. this could flip quickly... just add one more score per game. Im keying on WR getting better.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This defense could be special with a lead. Assuming of course Daniels and Clark are ok

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the next phase is improving turnover ratio....its coming soon too. if Wilkerson returns and add a free agent along with one of our first round picks....we are there, we will be top 10 D next year. Pettine will be in his second year, this D will make the jump.

TexasCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Making the playoffs is a rough road at this point, if it happens great but....... can we truly match up with anyone past a wild card round? I want to believe we can and shock the world so to speak but I have to watch one COMPLETE game by the offense first. It's pins and needles every stinking game! Every week it's "can we hold the lead, or is the offense going to stall and keep the game within reach for the opponent" or "can the d hold? We have to get rodgers another shot with :45 second and 75 yards to drive for a miracle". I love the packers but I just don't see it this year against well rounded teams. If they snap together it will be awesome and potentially a top tier offense, but again if they do finally gel is it just to late in the season to claim a playoff spot.

Frustrating year to say the least.

Last edited:

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is still one of the best QBs in the game but I do think there is something off about his game and i do think he will get it figured out. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your take, I don't know if it will happen soon enough to save the season.

Agree. Something is off (which is a far cry from horrible). Want bad QB, see Coan, Jack.

Not sure if it is Rodgers leg, maybe his elbow is wonky (seemed to be grabbing in 2 weeks in a row), rookie WRs that just aren't in the right spots so, when he is throwing timing passes and they are off it looks like the throws are way off and accounts for more throwaway passes. Not to mention the scheme and offensive line is a little porous at times.

D

Deleted member 6794

Now I do put Ted Thompson at fault for some of this staleness with his dumb defense drafts. If I was GM, I would almost completely stop drafting defense and spend at least 95℅ of the capital on offensive weapons because that's how winning teams are built.

It's true the Packers have used way too many early round picks on defense over the past few years but drafting solely offense wouldn't result in a championship roster either.

That's great, if we learn from them. The thing is I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe we will. Aaron Jones had his best game against the Dolphins (and that was a win) . What did we learn? Apparently we learned to give him the ball less.

Maybe you missed it but the Seahawks did a great job containing Jones as he averaged only 3.6 yards per carry and didn't have a run for more than eight yards while Rodgers was averaging 11.1 yards per attempt.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They were lining up more to stop the run than a lot of other teams. It's what you want to happen and Rodgers should exploit that. He did many times, just not enough

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Maybe you missed it but the Seahawks did a great job containing Jones as he averaged only 3.6 yards per carry and didn't have a run for more than eight yards while Rodgers was averaging 11.1 yards per attempt.
Another way of looking at it is the Jones had 11 carries and 5 receptions for a total of 16. 10 of those were in the first half where the Packers scored 21 points. 14 of those points were primarily because of Aaron Jones. The first drive where he popped off two consecutive 8 yards gains for a touchdown, and the last offensive drive of the 1st half where he had receptions of 15, 22, and 24 yards respectively.

6 touches in the 2nd half just doesn’t do it for me.

Also, of his 11 carries, 7 of them went for 3 or more yards and there was an 18 yarder that got wiped out on a block in the back that had no influence on Jones’ ability to pick up the yardage.

I just feel as if we have to continue to find more ways to get this guy the ball especially when Rodgers was getting rocked in the 2nd half due to the pressure Seattle was able to generate. To me, that’s the time to at the very least maintain the balance you established in the 1st half.

4 carries in the 2nd half...

All running backs are going to have some no gainers or minimal gainers at time. No running back is gonna pop off 5-10 yard runs every time.

I like how involved he’s gotten in the passing game, but we have to continue to find ways to get this guy the ball especially in the 2nd half to at least take a little pressure off of the QB.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a weird way, I just dont feel all that bad about the messy state of the Pack. Yes most likely were out of it now, but looking back at the games thus far we BEAT the Vikings. The Rams and seahawks we were one drive away with a offense running on 7 cylinders. Very easy for us to be 7-3 today. We are alot closer than our record shows. Rodgers with all his troubles has some really good numbers...give the WR an off season and they will come back better. coupled that with Pettine D and a good draft our arrow is pointing UP for sure. We are going to be OK. My glass is have full today!

Literally, we are about 10 plays from being 8-2 or 9-1 right now if those plays had gone the other way. Teams like this often find themselves in the Super Bowl very soon. The problem is that we have the makings of a dominant running team, but MM has no idea how to use it to win.

This is McCarthy trying to figure out how to use Jones:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Literally, we are about 10 plays from being 8-2 or 9-1 right now if those plays had gone the other way. Teams like this often find themselves in the Super Bowl very soon. The problem is that we have the makings of a dominant running team, but MM has no idea how to use it to win.

This is McCarthy trying to figure out how to use Jones:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Glad to see you acknowledging the bigger issue with the team. ;)

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's true the Packers have used way too many early round picks on defense over the past few years but drafting solely offense wouldn't result in a championship roster either.

I'm willing to bet it would if you used your draft picks heavy on offensive homerun hitters as opposed to stale old defensive picks, you'd get a championship roster way more often.

If Paris Campbell is available in the first round and we don't grab him, I will let Brian G have it.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like your post Dagger. Actually made me feel better as I have been brooding since Thursday night. I guess we have to hope the Vikes knock off Chicago Sunday night, much as I hate cheering for either team. Really good point on the number of teams in the NFC with 5 losses and still in the hunt. Anyway, thanks for the encouragement!

Well, to make you feel even better, it doesn’t really matter if Vikes or Bears win.. it helps us. And already today, the Falcons (although cowboys losing also would’ve helped), Panthers and Skins have lost. If Eagles end up losing then it’s a near perfect Sunday.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Glad to see you acknowledging the bigger issue with the team. ;)
Well yeah, and what I've been trying to say is that I dont' think Rodgers is a problem at all. I think he's the same guy he's always been and the decisions he's making are a direct result of the situation MM has largely created. The offense is too complicated for rookie WRs to take on large roles and this year he's having to rely too much on MVS and ESB who will both be excellent but still have to navigate the learning curve. So instead of taking what defenses are giving he's choosing to look for the home run almost every play.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, to make you feel even better, it doesn’t really matter if Vikes or Bears win.. it helps us. And already today, the Falcons (although cowboys losing also would’ve helped), Panthers and Skins have lost. If Eagles end up losing then it’s a near perfect Sunday.

Yeah, I think you could say the Eagles lost lol.

Redskins might be in big trouble with Alex Smith done for the season. I mean ... Unless Colt McCoy turns into Rodgers II.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm interested in Jaquan Johnson, wonder if is isnt too skinny but Id be thrilled to get a free safety who could play centerfield and single high for us. Do that and Josh Jones finds his calling as a pure SS up in the box which would help alleviate our coverage issues at ILB.

If Fackrell keeps up his recent play we might not need to draft a pass rusher in the first round.

D

Deleted member 6794

Another way of looking at it is the Jones had 11 carries and 5 receptions for a total of 16. 10 of those were in the first half where the Packers scored 21 points. 14 of those points were primarily because of Aaron Jones. The first drive where he popped off two consecutive 8 yards gains for a touchdown, and the last offensive drive of the 1st half where he had receptions of 15, 22, and 24 yards respectively.

6 touches in the 2nd half just doesn’t do it for me.

Also, of his 11 carries, 7 of them went for 3 or more yards and there was an 18 yarder that got wiped out on a block in the back that had no influence on Jones’ ability to pick up the yardage.

I just feel as if we have to continue to find more ways to get this guy the ball especially when Rodgers was getting rocked in the 2nd half due to the pressure Seattle was able to generate. To me, that’s the time to at the very least maintain the balance you established in the 1st half.

4 carries in the 2nd half...

All running backs are going to have some no gainers or minimal gainers at time. No running back is gonna pop off 5-10 yard runs every time.

I like how involved he’s gotten in the passing game, but we have to continue to find ways to get this guy the ball especially in the 2nd half to at least take a little pressure off of the QB.

I'm all in favor of Jones receiving more touches in a game but there's no reason to act a if he was getting a lot of yards running the ball vs. the Seahawks.

I'm willing to bet it would if you used your draft picks heavy on offensive homerun hitters as opposed to stale old defensive picks, you'd get a championship roster way more often.

The best approach is definitely to have a balance between offensive and defensive players being selected early in the draft.

Take a look at the Rams vs. Chiefs game. While it was highly entertaining I guarantee none of these teams win the Super Bowl without significantly improving their defense the rest of the way.

If Fackrell keeps up his recent play we might not need to draft a pass rusher in the first round.

While Fackrell has been successful getting sacks overall he hasn't been all that good rushing the passer. Aside of his sacks he has a total of only three other pressures this season.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all in favor of Jones receiving more touches in a game but there's no reason to act a if he was getting a lot of yards running the ball vs. the Seahawks.

The best approach is definitely to have a balance between offensive and defensive players being selected early in the draft.

Take a look at the Rams vs. Chiefs game. While it was highly entertaining I guarantee none of these teams win the Super Bowl without significantly improving their defense the rest of the way.

While Fackrell has been successful getting sacks overall he hasn't been all that good rushing the passer. Aside of his sacks he has a total of only three other pressures this season.

So what if he’s got three pressures! The guy has like 8 sacks as a part time player!!!

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Running, passing, whatever results in him touching the football. He was responsible for 14 points for the Packers nearly single handedly. 7 of those points as a result of his production on the ground, 7 with three big catches for chunks of yards.

Other teams would figure out how to get him the ball in advantageous situations.

Watching last night's game made me sick to my stomach when I think about our offense.