Week 12 In Minny: Season And MM's Job On The Line

Reaction score
The announcers always say that The Pack is one of the best screen pass teams in the league. They live in the past. The Packers do not set up the screen well and they need to work on it. imho
Yes. Part of that is because we failed to support the O line with draft/trade/FA resources. We have failed to establish a premier O Line and that’s what it takes to make a HOF QB successful. Just ask Brees.
Anyway, I don’t think Mikes job is riding on MN. If he was on the chopping block he’d be gone already IMO. This front office has clearly deferred some of their resources and shown multiple signs of a mini rebuild so they will take that into account and if you ask me? Unless GB finishes under .500 this year MM will be here next year and I don’t even think that will be a serious discussion with the executives.
Now if we see the fans tearing down the sign “McCarthy Way” after the game? That might help gain some momentum ditching him.:whistling:

Last edited:
OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The announcers always say that The Pack is one of the best screen pass teams in the league. They live in the past. The Packers do not set up the screen well and they need to work on it. imho

To be fair, when Jones is used in that capacity he actually has done pretty well. Now it's true we don't run the screen pass as much now as we did in the Mike Sherman era, but some of our better big yard plays have come on it.

One of our current problems is our OL isn't all that powerful and we lack a few more experienced vertical threat receivers to keep defenses honest.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On Wednesday, the team practiced for the first time this week and was missing two critical cornerbacks and an important young depth safety. Bashaud Breeland, Kevin King, and Raven Greene all had to sit out practice, leaving their statuses very much in doubt for Sunday night’s game at U.S. Bank Stadium. The one bit of good news in the defensive backfield is that safety Kentrell Brice was able to practice, but even he did so on a limited basis.

If those players are unable to play on Sunday, that would leave the team with a cornerback group consisting of Jaire Alexander, Josh Jackson, Tony Brown, and Will Redmond — a less-than-ideal situation. Tramon Williams could shift back to cornerback from his free safety spot in a pinch as well, which would likely result in snaps for Ibraheim Campbell on the back end.

Doesn't make for good reading!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair, when Jones is used in that capacity he actually has done pretty well. Now it's true we don't run the screen pass as much now as we did in the Mike Sherman era, but some of our better big yard plays have come on it.

One of our current problems is our OL isn't all that powerful and we lack a few more experienced vertical threat receivers to keep defenses honest.
It is true that we sometimes do good with it. But it very rarely looks pretty (which it should). It is partly because the o line is not good. Partly that Jones doesn't make his way through traffic well (maybe because of the o line). Partly because the o line does not disguise it well. And mainly (I think) because they don't practice/teach it.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. Part of that is because we failed to support the O line with draft/trade/FA resources. We have failed to establish a premier O Line and that’s what it takes to make a HOF QB successful. Just ask Brees.
Anyway, I don’t think Mikes job is riding on MN. If he was on the chopping block he’d be gone already IMO. This front office has clearly deferred some of their resources and shown multiple signs of a mini rebuild so they will take that into account and if you ask me? Unless GB finishes under .500 this year MM will be here next year and I don’t even think that will be a serious discussion with the executives.
Now if we see the fans tearing down the sign “McCarthy Way” after the game? That might help gain some momentum ditching him.:whistling:

The Packers oline is one of the best in the NFL. They're not stellar run blockers but the Packers have the best pass blocking LT in the NFL, a top-12ish pass blocker at RT, and a top-5 pass blocker at C. The guards aren't great but look around the NFL, oline play isn't exactly at an all-time high. Relative to the rest of the league, the Packers have one of the best olines in the NFL. Expecting more is unrealistic if you want the team to address other positions.

And MM is gone unless the team wins a Super Bowl. Go back and watch what the offenses were doing in the Rams/Chiefs game; now tell me Mahomes and Goff are really THAT much better than Rodgers.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Go back and watch what the offenses were doing in the Rams/Chiefs game; now tell me Mahomes and Goff are really THAT much better than Rodgers.
They are comparable to Farve more and really a level down from AR. Matty Ice was doing similar 2 seasons before.

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is still one of the best QBs in the game but I do think there is something off about his game and i do think he will get it figured out. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your take, I don't know if it will happen soon enough to save the season.

Yea...the thing that's off is McCarthy.

We expect players to improve and develop during the off-season and even during the season, but never expect the same from coaches.

McCarthy has gotten complacent and has stupidly held onto the belief that his scheme is good.

Even "Coach Hoodie" adapts to from week to week and year to year.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Daniels out for the season is a major blow.

If the Packers lose tonight, forget the playoffs. If the Packers win tonight they will be one of 4 teams in the Wild Card hunt.

I really don't see the Packers catching the Bears. At 8-3 they need to go 3-2 to have it pretty much sewed up, which won't be hard given their schedule. Giants, Rams, Packers, Niners, Vikings.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Seahawks just beat the Panthers. I'm trying to figure out if that helps us or hurts us. Neither of those teams are going to win their division, and they both now sit at 6-5.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense ... Well could be better, but hanging in there good enough to get my prediction of 28 points.

It's time to shitcan Joe Whitt out of here, he has no clue how to coach a pass defense.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys saw that right? They had to burn a time out because the refs took forever to spot the ball. BS!

GBowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys saw that right? They had to burn a time out because the refs took forever to spot the ball. BS!

The worst part of that whole series was MM not just taking the delay penalty and punting the damn ball. He has become one of the worst decision makers in the league. The more desperate he gets for a win, the worse he gets.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The play clock operator should be fined $1 million they did that on purpose.

Nonetheless, that muffed punt by Williams is about the sum of our season. Team is far more dysfunctional than I had thought at the start. Rodgers has his issues I know, but I say our OL is garbage and our ST blunders have been some of the worst I've ever seen.

Winning out from here even if we win in Chicago will not be enough.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is it in the last few minutes they finally get their heads out their butts? And can move the ball down the field?

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems though like we've been one of the worst 2nd half teams in the league this season with only one clutch 4th quarter performance against the god awful 49ers. AR has to own some of this, but MM has been bad at 2nd half adjustments this year too.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Seahawks just beat the Panthers. I'm trying to figure out if that helps us or hurts us. Neither of those teams are going to win their division, and they both now sit at 6-5.
Was a GREAT win for the Seahawks....we are now officially playing for best draft position!

Why is it in the last few minutes they finally get their heads out their butts? And can move the ball down the field?
Because the Vikings defense was giving up the short ones to run the clock out.