Week 12 In Minny: Season And MM's Job On The Line

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is there no threads about pettine? This dude is legit. For the tools he has to work with he honestly has exceeded my expectations as a D-coordinator.
I hope the new head coach seriously considers keeping him on.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright folks in spite of the...implosion that's happening before our very eyes, I think it's important that we look at things in it's proper perspective.

The playoffs are STILL plausible after this loss, but we're going to need a little bit of help in my estimation. Now looking back at our overall losses I can say with absolute certainty that while we lost we weren't beaten. Basically what this means is that the teams that won against us aren't head and shoulders better than us, talent perhaps, but considering these games we lost are typically are because of our boneheaded decisions I still believe the playoffs are attainable. But make no mistake, we HAVE to win out and we're gonna need a little bit of help.

Fortunately I still hold to my bold predictions in Chicago losing their next 5 games, and Minnesota losing at least 4. So with that being said if we play a COMPLETE game for ALL 4 quarters (it's funny in the beginning of the season we were considered a second half team, and now we're playing well in the first half but falling flat in the second half) we can make the playoffs.

It's difficult, but not impossible. Rodgers knows he messed up big time, bold prediction, we win double digits and expose these overrated Vikings.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright folks in spite of the...implosion that's happening before our very eyes, I think it's important that we look at things in it's proper perspective.

The playoffs are STILL plausible after this loss, but we're going to need a little bit of help in my estimation. Now looking back at our overall losses I can say with absolute certainty that while we lost we weren't beaten. Basically what this means is that the teams that won against us aren't head and shoulders better than us, talent perhaps, but considering these games we lost are typically are because of our boneheaded decisions I still believe the playoffs are attainable. But make no mistake, we HAVE to win out and we're gonna need a little bit of help.

Fortunately I still hold to my bold predictions in Chicago losing their next 5 games, and Minnesota losing at least 4. So with that being said if we play a COMPLETE game for ALL 4 quarters (it's funny in the beginning of the season we were considered a second half team, and now we're playing well in the first half but falling flat in the second half) we can make the playoffs.

It's difficult, but not impossible. Rodgers knows he messed up big time, bold prediction, we win double digits and expose these overrated Vikings.

Have to say I agree. No one in the nfc, aside from the Saints and Rams, look very good. (I’m not sold on Carolina or the Bears)

It’s right there for the taking. It SEEMS like we should be in a lot more trouble than we actually are... and then you look at the standings and realize things aren’t quite that bad in the standings at all.

Now, do we have to play better? Definitely. Is the talent there to do it? Definitely. Like Rodgers said in the postgame... neeed SOMETHING to happen to click. Once that happens, I’ll put them up against anyone in the league. For now, I’m going to sit back and root opppsite of NFC in front of us and then see what we do next Sunday.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No more room for error or losses from here on out! NONE!!

I've usually been way less critical of MM at this juncture, but the Sunday after this he had better coach like his butt is on fire because this season is on the line now. Same goes for Rodgers who had better change his approach to zipping in more fast balls starting this next week or it's doodoo.

We have to win in Minny, or we are done!!! Oh yes, that is right, we lose this game and our season is D-O-N-E done!

If MM can't get this team out of this stupid slump, then I'm sorry but we need someone else who can.
I'm under the impression that we are all supposed to be OK with the team being this lousy this year because of this rebuilding stuff.
I guess the D is back to being sorta decent but not decent enough to help the O win the games since the O isn't so great right now?

4th and 2. Man, you go for it on 4th and 2 that late in the game and right after their O steamrolled right over the D.

I've been under the impression that our season is done like 4 games ago.

So what if we win this one and then lose another? Would our season be over then?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep, it just feels and looks so different this time, you know? Pettine's defense is CARRYING this team right now. This is not how it was drawn up.
I don't get it why you and others keep on heaping this praise on the D when they let the Sea Chicks not only catch up to us but then won the game.
I mean, teams have won games with less points than what we had.
Why?
Because they had a better D that kept those teams with lower scores from winning.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, enough temper tantrums. Slow down and use your noggin. If we beat the Vikings our path to a playoff spot is much easier. However, there are actually multiple scenarios where we can make the playoffs even if we lose next week. We would have to win out and get a little help but there are several ways to get that help.
Is it that time of year again to dust off the decoder ring, the Magic 8 Ball and the protractor to figure out the gazillion ways for the playoff picture for your team?
Now where did I last see my abacus?

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it that time of year again to dust off the decoder ring, the Magic 8 Ball and the protractor to figure out the gazillion ways for the playoff picture for your team?
Now where did I last see my abacus?
It's the best part of the season when ESPN puts their "NFL Playoff Machine" online. Fun for the whole family!

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's the best part of the season when ESPN puts their "NFL Playoff Machine" online. Fun for the whole family!

Hey, remember.. making it to the playoffs sometimes doesn’t matter how good you are but how bad the other teams are. And right now the NFC wildcard is....not good. Looks like we have a couple ways in that aren’t too much of a stretch at all. (Yep I’ve been using the playoff machine already)

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
This is an off year for the NFC as 10 of 16 teams in the NFC currently have .500 or have losing records. Only the Rams & Saints are putting any distance between themselves and the scrum for the remaining playoff spots. The Redskins & Bears are the the other two division leaders:eek:.
A win-out for the Packers (@Vikings, Cardinals, Falcons, @Bears, @Jets, Lions) would still put them at 10-5-1 and I believe that would get into the playoffs. The only remaining games on the schedule with winning records are the Vikings and Bears. I don't what to make of the Falcons but at home the Packers should have an edge. I personally think the Packers have one more loss as a minimum as it is unlikely they beat both the Vikings and Bears (both away games).

McCarthy may have already lost this team between some of the statements from players I have read and all the background noise on potential coaching changes the players are sure to be hearing. If that's the case then it may be rough remaining season.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is an off year for the NFC as 10 of 16 teams in the NFC currently have .500 or have losing records. Only the Rams & Saints are putting any distance between themselves and the scrum for the remaining playoff spots. The Redskins & Bears are the the other two division leaders:eek:.
A win-out for the Packers (@Vikings, Cardinals, Falcons, @Bears, @Jets, Lions) would still put them at 10-5-1 and I believe that would get into the playoffs. The only remaining games on the schedule with winning records are the Vikings and Bears. I don't what to make of the Falcons but at home the Packers should have an edge. I personally think the Packers have one more loss as a minimum as it is unlikely they beat both the Vikings and Bears (both away games).

McCarthy may have already lost this team between some of the statements from players I have read and all the background noise on potential coaching changes the players are sure to be hearing. If that's the case then it may be rough remaining season.
I think your last paragraph is operative. The lack of any methodical drives against the Seahawks points to a team without a plan to move forward this year. They are not working together. The receiver are doing their thing, Rodgers is doing another... and neither McCarthy nor Rodgers are leading.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get it why you and others keep on heaping this praise on the D when they let the Sea Chicks not only catch up to us but then won the game.
I mean, teams have won games with less points than what we had.
Why?
Because they had a better D that kept those teams with lower scores from winning.

Because they did everything we could have possibly asked of them and gave the unit that is DESIGNED to be the strength of our team chance after chance after chance to extend the lead.

The offense, in turn, either went 3-and-out or punted quickly with EXCELLENT field position on every second half possession.

As a result, the defense played nearly DOUBLE the snaps of the offense and, especially with losing some key guys, simply did everything we could possibly ask of it.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they can catch either the Bears or the Vikings, and the Seahawks lose at least twice more, I can see getting in at 9 -6-1.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Cleveland Clowns can have a shot at it because of XYZ happening then so should we.
It's only fair.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If everybody we play from here on out would lose that would be the biggest help.

While I'm not usually one to rain on people's parades I had to step in here. The old "we lost but we didn't get beat" is getting a bit old. In our 4 wins you could probably say "we won but we didn't beat them"

Yes, the playoffs are still attainable but if you had to bet the farm on it would you?

If you would then great. I applaud your fandom but I think most of us are a bit more realistic. We agree that it is possible but it is not looking too probable right now.

Remember, for every Packer fan saying none of the other teams around us look very good right now there are fans of all the teams around us saying the same thing about the Packers and liking their teams chances because we are their main competition.

"We have a chance because everyone else is as bad as we are" isn't a very confidence instilling mantra.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No more room for error or losses from here on out! NONE!!

I've usually been way less critical of MM at this juncture, but the Sunday after this he had better coach like his butt is on fire because this season is on the line now. Same goes for Rodgers who had better change his approach to zipping in more fast balls starting this next week or it's doodoo.

We have to win in Minny, or we are done!!! Oh yes, that is right, we lose this game and our season is D-O-N-E done!

If MM can't get this team out of this stupid slump, then I'm sorry but we need someone else who can.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm under the impression that we are all supposed to be OK with the team being this lousy this year because of this rebuilding stuff.
I guess the D is back to being sorta decent but not decent enough to help the O win the games since the O isn't so great right now?

4th and 2. Man, you go for it on 4th and 2 that late in the game and right after their O steamrolled right over the D.

I've been under the impression that our season is done like 4 games ago.

So what if we win this one and then lose another? Would our season be over then?

Well it definitely would be if that other one is to the lousy Cardinals or Jets

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If everybody we play from here on out would lose that would be the biggest help.

While I'm not usually one to rain on people's parades I had to step in here. The old "we lost but we didn't get beat" is getting a bit old. In our 4 wins you could probably say "we won but we didn't beat them"

Yes, the playoffs are still attainable but if you had to bet the farm on it would you?

If you would then great. I applaud your fandom but I think most of us are a bit more realistic. We agree that it is possible but it is not looking too probable right now.

Remember, for every Packer fan saying none of the other teams around us look very good right now there are fans of all the teams around us saying the same thing about the Packers and liking their teams chances because we are their main competition.

"We have a chance because everyone else is as bad as we are" isn't a very confidence instilling mantra.
I didn't say we would get to the playoffs. I'm well aware of the situation that our team has found itself in once again. With that being said I simply choose to look at it in a different like than you do apparently. It's not being optimistic, it's painting a picture and putting things in a proper perspective in which the goal in making the playoffs is still attainable.

I get it sounds old, but tell me am I wrong with what I said? Looking back at those 4 games if we had played a complete game could you not seeing things playing out differently? I know it's easy to be all gloomy that we didn't win, but at the same time there are some positives that we can look as we resume going into the season.

We both believe that the playoffs is still attainable, and honestly there isn't a team I'm really afraid of. (Maybe New Orleans)

Just thought I'd put things in place considering we're in free fall right now.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't say we would get to the playoffs. I'm well aware of the situation that our team has found itself in once again. With that being said I simply choose to look at it in a different like than you do apparently. It's not being optimistic, it's painting a picture and putting things in a proper perspective in which the goal in making the playoffs is still attainable.

I get it sounds old, but tell me am I wrong with what I said? Looking back at those 4 games if we had played a complete game could you not seeing things playing out differently? I know it's easy to be all gloomy that we didn't win, but at the same time there are some positives that we can look as we resume going into the season.

We both believe that the playoffs is still attainable, and honestly there isn't a team I'm really afraid of. (Maybe New Orleans)

Just thought I'd put things in place considering we're in free fall right now.

looking back at the Bears, vikings, and 49ers games if those teams had played complete games we would have 3 more losses. When you have to count on 1 or 2 plays going differently to get your wins but 1 or 2 plays going differently will also cost you games the reality is you are probably closer to a 500 team than you care to admit and that is probably where we are. I guess if you want to ignore all the negatives and only focus on the positives then yeah we could be 8-2 and there is something to be said for having that outlook. In general I tend to be a positive thinking person but I can't be that type of person who says if we did this we have 4 more wins and ignore the fact that had we done that we would have 4 more losses. Its not a matter of being positive or negative it is a matter of being consistent.

I think we can beat any team in the league as well. Sadly, the way we are playing now I think it is entirely possible that pretty much any team in the league can beat us as well. If you want to play the "if we do this we can win" card (which I agree with by the way) then you have to be prepared to accept the "but if we don't then we are probably done" card. Again, its a matter of consistency.

Unfortunately, in following the games this year I may be seeing more of what leads me to expect "but if we don't" then "if we do"

Another way to look at it in a single game situation is when someone says "take away that play and we win the game" my response would be "OK, if you can take away one play I get to take away one play so I take away this play now we lose.

I appreciate your efforts to put things in place but I am afraid you may be trying to put us in a place where we don't belong. With the way this team has played this year we are right where we belong. Fighting our ***** off to make the playoffs.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think what's going on is fans even myself are just so sick and tired of holes getting dug by this team such as being 4-6 the last two years and now 4-5-1 this year. Now certainly losing Rodgers most the season last year is one thing, but that wasn't the case in 2016, nor is it the case this year.

We all know it's possible to go on another run the table round, but I think we're getting tired of seeing that same old movie play out. In this age of QB play in Title Town, expectations for 12 and 13 win seasons are going to be pushed hard whether or not anyone agrees with them.

Now I do put Ted Thompson at fault for some of this staleness with his dumb defense drafts. If I was GM, I would almost completely stop drafting defense and spend at least 95℅ of the capital on offensive weapons because that's how winning teams are built.

But at the same time, as a head coach MM is not coaching with a sense of urgency at all.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
looking back at the Bears, vikings, and 49ers games if those teams had played complete games we would have 3 more losses. When you have to count on 1 or 2 plays going differently to get your wins but 1 or 2 plays going differently will also cost you games the reality is you are probably closer to a 500 team than you care to admit and that is probably where we are. I guess if you want to ignore all the negatives and only focus on the positives then yeah we could be 8-2 and there is something to be said for having that outlook. In general I tend to be a positive thinking person but I can't be that type of person who says if we did this we have 4 more wins and ignore the fact that had we done that we would have 4 more losses. Its not a matter of being positive or negative it is a matter of being consistent.

I think we can beat any team in the league as well. Sadly, the way we are playing now I think it is entirely possible that pretty much any team in the league can beat us as well. If you want to play the "if we do this we can win" card (which I agree with by the way) then you have to be prepared to accept the "but if we don't then we are probably done" card. Again, its a matter of consistency.

Unfortunately, in following the games this year I may be seeing more of what leads me to expect "but if we don't" then "if we do"

Another way to look at it in a single game situation is when someone says "take away that play and we win the game" my response would be "OK, if you can take away one play I get to take away one play so I take away this play now we lose.

I appreciate your efforts to put things in place but I am afraid you may be trying to put us in a place where we don't belong. With the way this team has played this year we are right where we belong. Fighting our ***** off to make the playoffs.
You're missing my point entirely. Yes the argument could be said about our past defeats and the one tie arguably, but as I already pointed out there is no team that is head and shoulders better. Hence why I brought up those past losses, as something can be taken away from them as with any defeat. You're saying how I'm looking at the positives, I'd say i'm looking at the negatives in a more positive light. I guess you can say I see the glass half full and you see it half empty as the saying goes. I'll bring those games into question

Chicago: Considering how we gift wrapped Chicago at least 2 of their scores, I don't see how you come to the conclusion. Are they better defensively? Sure, but at the same time we adjusted and held their offense to 3 points in the second half.

Minnesota: Considering how we lead through most of the game again I don't see how you draw the conclusion, considering we pretty much allowed them to come back, plus some questionable calls, but hey what's done is done.

San Fran: I say that was more of an aberration on their part personally. Nevertheless we managed to overcome and we got the win.

I never said take a single play and the game would've been won, I said if we played an entire 4 quarters the way then we'd probably would be in better position. Those teams we lost to I don't see them as being head and shoulders better than us. As a result we take something from our defeats and apply them to the next games. That is something you can always take in defeat. If you want to call it me being positive, fine that is your opinion of course, I see it as learning opportunity to salvage our season. As again I mentioned there is no team that is head and shoulders better than us in my estimation.

I'm not putting us anywhere dude. I have both acknowledged and understand we're in a tight spot right now, and the odds certainly don't look good. I just see things from a differently. I'm simply see this as an opportunity where we can learn and grow. There are plenty of games left to be played. We've been in this position before and we've faced these kinds of odds before. How we face them is what will define us. Will we show resilience and guts and salvage what's left of the season? Or do we fold under the crumbling pressure?

To quote a wise Mandrill: Oh yes the past can hurt, but the way I see it, we can either run from it. Or learn from it.

What The Packers do from here remains to be seen.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am seeing nearly the exact same thing from fans when the Packers were 4-6 a couple of years ago. This year our record is "slightly" better and the NFC wildcard is WEAK. I know some people don't want to make the playoffs because they're afraid we will get blown out and there are some that want McCarthy to be let go and afraid if we slip into playoffs it won't happen. Agree or disagree with me but when the Packers are playing I want them to win and I want them in the postseason. With that being said for all my people who are hanging on...

Keep hanging on. EVERYONE from 7th seed and under have AT LEAST 5 losses. The north and one of the wildcard spots are currently the Bears and Vikings. Both still have to play each other TWICE and we still play both of them one more time. It is all right there in front of us to take... we just have to take it.

I believe. I believe based on history and I believe based on the talent this team has. I invite you to join me because it's going to be a fun ride. Spend this Sunday, Thanksgiving and Next Sunday rooting against NFC teams ahead of us and then cap it all off with rooting on the Pack to right the ship. This is a one game season and it's time to go to work.

Go Pack Go.
I like your post Dagger. Actually made me feel better as I have been brooding since Thursday night. I guess we have to hope the Vikes knock off Chicago Sunday night, much as I hate cheering for either team. Really good point on the number of teams in the NFC with 5 losses and still in the hunt. Anyway, thanks for the encouragement!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're missing my point entirely. Yes the argument could be said about our past defeats and the one tie arguably, but as I already pointed out there is no team that is head and shoulders better. Hence why I brought up those past losses, as something can be taken away from them as with any defeat. You're saying how I'm looking at the positives, I'd say i'm looking at the negatives in a more positive light. I guess you can say I see the glass half full and you see it half empty as the saying goes. I'll bring those games into question

Chicago: Considering how we gift wrapped Chicago at least 2 of their scores, I don't see how you come to the conclusion. Are they better defensively? Sure, but at the same time we adjusted and held their offense to 3 points in the second half.

Minnesota: Considering how we lead through most of the game again I don't see how you draw the conclusion, considering we pretty much allowed them to come back, plus some questionable calls, but hey what's done is done.

San Fran: I say that was more of an aberration on their part personally. Nevertheless we managed to overcome and we got the win.

I never said take a single play and the game would've been won, I said if we played an entire 4 quarters the way then we'd probably would be in better position. Those teams we lost to I don't see them as being head and shoulders better than us. As a result we take something from our defeats and apply them to the next games. That is something you can always take in defeat. If you want to call it me being positive, fine that is your opinion of course, I see it as learning opportunity to salvage our season. As again I mentioned there is no team that is head and shoulders better than us in my estimation.

I'm not putting us anywhere dude. I have both acknowledged and understand we're in a tight spot right now, and the odds certainly don't look good. I just see things from a differently. I'm simply see this as an opportunity where we can learn and grow. There are plenty of games left to be played. We've been in this position before and we've faced these kinds of odds before. How we face them is what will define us. Will we show resilience and guts and salvage what's left of the season? Or do we fold under the crumbling pressure?

To quote a wise Mandrill: Oh yes the past can hurt, but the way I see it, we can either run from it. Or learn from it.

What The Packers do from here remains to be seen.
I agree with you. I’ll admit to being in the defeatist camp since Thursday, so your comments bring things into perspective. Only the Saints and Rams are locks at this point. The other four teams, who knows? Now is not the time to quit. We can focus more about MM’s future (and replacement) when the last game has been played. In the meantime, there are six opportunities ahead of us. And as you point out, NONE of those teams are head and shoulders ahead of GB.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you. I’ll admit to being in the defeatist camp since Thursday, so your comments bring things into perspective. Only the Saints and Rams are locks at this point. The other four teams, who knows? Now is not the time to quit. We can focus more about MM’s future (and replacement) when the last game has been played. In the meantime, there are six opportunities ahead of us. And as you point out, NONE of those teams are head and shoulders ahead of GB.
Exactly.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think what's also got some people ticking is we've been bad on the road this year. We definitely aren't going in the playoffs if we go 0-8 on the road, or probably not if our only road win comes against Cowherd's golden calf Darnold in a few weeks.