New Proposed Kick-Off Rule

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I understand in general what they are proposing regarding the kick-offs. I haven't decided what I think about that yet. But with the idea of notifying the other team when you are doing an onside kick...I don't understand how that is supposed to be helpful. I'm not crazy about it. Wasn't the point that it is supposed to be a surprise? I don't recall many players being hurt on that play.

Thoughts?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I agree. It should be part of the game. Why not go back to the old way?

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They won't go back to the old way because they were pounding the table it was for player safety so, you go back and people will say the NFL doesn't care about player safety.

At this point, if they aren't going back to the way it was just scrap it and go to some type of '4th and X' play at the 25. Pick a percent you want to be successful (10%) and then find out historically in the last 5 years or so what 3rd/4th distance for a 1st down matches that percent. If historically only 10% of 3rd or 4th and 20 get a 1st down, well.. then the team has 4th and 20 at the 25. Get a 1st and your 'onside kick' was successful and you continue on. No? Turnover on downs.

Better theater than this nonsensical 1% onside chance

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They won't go back to the old way because they were pounding the table it was for player safety so, you go back and people will say the NFL doesn't care about player safety.

At this point, if they aren't going back to the way it was just scrap it and go to some type of '4th and X' play at the 25. Pick a percent you want to be successful (10%) and then find out historically in the last 5 years or so what 3rd/4th distance for a 1st down matches that percent. If historically only 10% of 3rd or 4th and 20 get a 1st down, well.. then the team has 4th and 20 at the 30. Get a 1st and your 'onside kick' was successful and you continue on. No? Turnover on downs.

Better theater than this nonsensical 1% onside chance
Just a couple of questions about your idea.

You have a 4th and 20 situation at the 30. Meaning you have to reach midfield to continue. Say the pass was incomplete or short of midfield. Where does the defending team get the ball?

Say your play gets you to the 25 or even a TD. Does that play stand? Or do you get the ball 1st and 10 at the 50. If the former I can see more teams going for it as it essentially adds an offensive play.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have a 4th and 20 situation at the 30. Meaning you have to reach midfield to continue. Say the pass was incomplete or short of midfield. Where does the defending team get the ball?

Say your play gets you to the 25 or even a TD. Does that play stand? Or do you get the ball 1st and 10 at the 50. If the former I can see more teams going for it as it essentially adds an offensive play.

If I was the rules god..

1. Defending team would get the ball wherever it ends up. Same as for an onside kick.

2. Given you can't advance the ball on an onside kick, I'd say put the ball back to the 'recovery' point which would either be the point of the 1st down or where the receiver caught the ball. So effectively only way to score a TD is to chuck it to where the receiver would be standing in the end zone or the defense gets a turnover then subsequently fumbles and the offense scoops and scores.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO this could somewhat explain the previously unexplainable contract that the Pack gave Nixon.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Teams must have optimism on the new KO rule. Steelers just signed Cordarrelle Patterson to a 2yr deal
I think this rule is part of the reason Nixon scored so well in free agency. Packers management knew this rule was coming to the table and the reasons why.

Members online

Latest posts