The Beer Sport

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nessie and Bundes ? Is everybody okay in view of whats happened in Berlin ?
Thanks for asking, Bill. I am too. Have been to Christmas markets several times this year, last time yesterday.
Never felt unsafe so far, however this incident changes a lot. When walking around during my lunch break today you could see many heavily armed police officers here in Hamburg protecting the markets.
Bundes is right, its important to be on the alert but I will never let them change my way of living. But the world has changed dramatically since 9/11 and unfortunately not for the better.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't see one? Did you look? I'm not sure if you are taking Beer Sport seriously sir. :p
Thats malicious gossip ! :mad:
I did Beer Sporting on a very high level last weekend, as usual and regarding a Christmas Beer: I had one, not at the Philharmonic in Liverpool but in Manchester. TFI Christmas by Brightside Brewery :p
Very good btw, its a local brewery.:)

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Thanks for asking, Bill. I am too. Have been to Christmas markets several times this year, last time yesterday.
Never felt unsafe so far, however this incident changes a lot. When walking around during my lunch break today you could see many heavily armed police officers here in Hamburg protecting the markets.
Bundes is right, its important to be on the alert but I will never let them change my way of living. But the world has changed dramatically since 9/11 and unfortunately not for the better.

I`m pleased to see you are both okay, and now I have to hang my head in shame, well a bit of shame. Christmas hasn`t even got here yet and I`ve drunk two bottles of port, a bottle of southern comfort, and I`m looking at a few bottles of Glenfiddich Whiskey.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Thats malicious gossip ! :mad:
I did Beer Sporting on a very high level last weekend, as usual and regarding a Christmas Beer: I had one, not at the Philharmonic in Liverpool but in Manchester. TFI Christmas by Brightside Brewery :p
Very good btw, its a local brewery.:)

Ok. You are hereby approved as a true Beer Sporter.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I`m pleased to see you are both okay, and now I have to hang my head in shame, well a bit of shame. Christmas hasn`t even got here yet and I`ve drunk two bottles of port, a bottle of southern comfort, and I`m looking at a few bottles of Glenfiddich Whiskey.
Sounds like you will be well-trained when Christmas comes. :tup::laugh:

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score

Now that's taking Beer Sporting to a high level. Proud of you.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My knowledge about wine is limited to be honest but Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz or a Zinfandel is my choice when having a glass.

I can give you a crash course.

Hold the glass like it's about to break and spill the drink all over you.
Swirl it, take a deep look and start making up stuff like "Color's very clear" "there's no residue" etc. Nope, don't ask what they mean.
Take a tiny sip, slosh it in your mouth that most of is absorbed before you even drink it. Put on a thoughtful expression and blurt out "Yeah, nice. Hmmm, hints of oak and citrus and tobacco, I believe" Just recycle these 3 for all wines. Doesn't really matter either way.
After swallowing mumble "Yeah, very natural. Goes down smooth" and "really good", even if you feel like puking it all out of the window.

There, sir, you are a connoisseur. Now, send the course fee to my account.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can give you a crash course.

Hold the glass like it's about to break and spill the drink all over you.
Swirl it, take a deep look and start making up stuff like "Color's very clear" "there's no residue" etc. Nope, don't ask what they mean.
Take a tiny sip, slosh it in your mouth that most of is absorbed before you even drink it. Put on a thoughtful expression and blurt out "Yeah, nice. Hmmm, hints of oak and citrus and tobacco, I believe" Just recycle these 3 for all wines. Doesn't really matter either way.
After swallowing mumble "Yeah, very natural. Goes down smooth" and "really good", even if you feel like puking it all out of the window.

There, sir, you are a connoisseur. Now, send the course fee to my account.
Looks like you're a true wine connaisseur, thanks for this brief introduction into the world of wine :laugh:
I wonder if this works for whisky tasting as well ? :cautious:;)

I

Looks like you're a true wine connaisseur, thanks for this brief introduction into the world of wine :laugh:
I wonder if this works for whisky tasting as well ? :cautious:;)

Whiskey is much easier. pour into glass, sniff and pick up the fine peaty overtones, tilt head back, throw contents of glass down the back of throat, swallow, feel the burn. repeat again and again, pass out, fall backwards being careful not to bang your head. Whiskey expert. done!!!

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Whiskey is much easier. pour into glass, sniff and pick up the fine peaty overtones, tilt head back, throw contents of glass down the back of throat, swallow, feel the burn. repeat again and again, pass out, fall backwards being careful not to bang your head. Whiskey expert. done!!!

Who stops to sniff it??? :eek::eek:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
My run of medicine has been over long enough for it to leave my system, so since its the holidays I went out and got a nice big bottle of Dewars White Label....slept like a rock last night. ;)

Sky King

Reaction score
You left out a step for those...ahem...who suffered their first major inebriation at the hands of this evil, unforgiving swill: Just before passing out they wretch like there's no tomorrow (and it sure feels like there won't be one).

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly whiskey has as much snobs as wine. I've seen people get their knickers twisted because the bartender had one extra ice cube in their drink "I said 2 cubes, there's 3 in here". And woe betide anyone who adds ice to a single malt, the whiskey god will smite you down right on that bar stool.

One of my friends only drinks whiskey at this particular bar...because they have the whiskey cube i.e. a larger than normal cube of ice. Goes on and on about that ice having less surface area and chills it more with less melting. As if a science lessons is what I go to a whiskey bar for! :mad:

Beer drinkers are the most chilled out of the lot, I say.

I

You left out a step for those...ahem...who suffered their first major inebriation at the hands of this evil, unforgiving swill: Just before passing out they wretch like there's no tomorrow (and it sure feels like there won't be one).

Mine was vodka with lime juice in it. Even now, if anybody near me is drinking it, I get that watering of the mouth you get, just before you throw up. Thirty five years later. :sick:

I

Honestly whiskey has as much snobs as wine. I've seen people get their knickers twisted because the bartender had one extra ice cube in their drink "I said 2 cubes, there's 3 in here". And woe betide anyone who adds ice to a single malt, the whiskey god will smite you down right on that bar stool.

One of my friends only drinks whiskey at this particular bar...because they have the whiskey cube i.e. a larger than normal cube of ice. Goes on and on about that ice having less surface area and chills it more with less melting. As if a science lessons is what I go to a whiskey bar for! :mad:

I remember when my late wife was having chemo, the consultant was a good man but with the personality of a house brick. We asked one of the nurses what he drank as we wanted to buy him something to say thank you for his support of her during her treatment. We were told he drank Port. We innocently bought him two bottle of what we thought was good Port, paying around £20 for each bottle. I will never forget his face to this day as he looked at what we had bought him. In later life I understood that when she said Port, she was talking about bottles which were £100 to £150 a bottle. We had bought him the equivalent of cooking Sherry. He must have wet himself in his car going home thinking what *** holes we were.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well for this gang of alcoholics, I can recommend a couple of Netflix documentaries that I found interesting.

Somm - Follows 4 candidates taking their Sommelier exams.
Somm: Into the bottle - A sequel to the above. Fascinating but not as good as the original.
Sour Grapes - About Rudy Kurniawan in one of the greatest wine frauds fooling even the best "connoisseurs"

Somm (original, not the sequel) and Sour Grapes were really fascinating that my wife who rarely drinks was also engrossed. I'd definitely recommend all of the above.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score

Mine was Tequila. I can't smell it without my stomach churning and instantly vomiting.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mine was Tequila. I can't smell it without my stomach churning and instantly vomiting.

Love tequila, esp in a Margarita with ice and salted glass!

Jagermeister for me. There was this theory that Jaeger bomb get you to dance, so it was clubs and J-bombs all night. One day I randomly soured on it and can't touch it till date.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

What about people like me that like both, whisky and beer :cautious::D
And ice in my whisky ? :eek: No way.
O.K. it doesnt matter if you're having a Jacky or Jim Beam or something similar but otherwise why investing money in a decent whisky if you're going to ruin the taste by adding ice? ;)
But it might be a matter of personal taste...

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts