The Beer Sport

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
NJ is a couple of hrs by car. All you need is gas money :roflmao: If you are near Jersey City, let me know.

My daughter and her husband live North of Princeton. I get there a few times a year. ;) It's actually a pretty nice area, but with a very high cost of living. I can't always drive because of my stupid disease, but I'd really like to try the train from Harrisburg to Princeton. It costs 40 bucks one way though. :eek: How does Germany get by with relatively inexpensive train fares??

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
My daughter and her husband live North of Princeton. I get there a few times a year. ;) It's actually a pretty nice area, but with a very high cost of living. I can't always drive because of my stupid disease, but I'd really like to try the train from Harrisburg to Princeton. It costs 40 bucks one way though. :eek: How does Germany get by with relatively inexpensive train fares??

Who says the train fares are inexpensive in Germany?

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Relative to the east coast AMTRAK? Yeah, they are inexpensive.
Hmmm, did not know that but I haven't travelled with Amtrak so far.
Need to travel from Hamburg to Berlin from time to time. It's 300 kms, 1:40 hrs ride and I think it was about 160 Euros for a fully flexible ticket, 2nd class, when booking without a Bahn Card 50 that I've got
by my company.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Hmmm, did not know that but I haven't travelled with Amtrak so far.
Need to travel from Hamburg to Berlin from time to time. It's 300 kms, 1:40 hrs ride and I think it was about 160 Euros for a fully flexible ticket, 2nd class, when booking without a Bahn Card 50 that I've got
by my company.

Wow. Your prices have gone up too. I think I travelled from Berlin to Lutherstadt-Wittenberg for about 40 Euros in the early 2000's.

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score
Wow. Your prices have gone up too. I think I travelled from Berlin to Lutherstadt-Wittenberg for about 40 Euros in the early 2000's.

Wow yeah, prices have gone up. That is decently comparable to the Amtrak, except there isn't a "2nd class" choice, so I can't really compare for that.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Relative to the east coast AMTRAK? Yeah, they are inexpensive.

Not so sure. Prices in Germany have risen recently, but I haven't ridden Amtrak in so long, I'm not sure of their prices.

In the past week for 2 people, I traveled from Frankfurt to Bamberg to Cologne to Freiburg, to Nurnberg to Bamberg to Frankfurt, and that would have cost $1,000 or more had I not had a Promotional German Rail Pass for $525

German rail passes aren't that cheap as they used to be, but I should check Amtrak to sort of compare.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, just left the The Philharmonic Dining Rooms after having a couple beers there. What a beautiful pub this is, absolutely stunning.
Unfortunately a little too dark for a decent picture...
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Wow, just left the The Philharmonic Dining Rooms after having a couple beers there. What a beautiful pub this is, absolutely stunning.

Told you you`d like it ;) A good selection of beers ?

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score

Maybe they have a Christmas Ale?

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Told you you`d like it ;) A good selection of beers ?
Yepp, you were right, Bill. :tup: And indeed a nice selection. Had a Black Sheep Bitter and a Pale Ale.
We sat in the Liszt room, only three small tables with wingchairs in there, old wooden panels and a chandelier. All other rooms looked beautiful too, not to speak of the bar.
A must visit when in Liverpool.
Btw - one thing we noticed yesterday and today- how come that so many people here are wearing one of these silly christmas-sweaters. :eek: We rarely see somebody wearing something like this at home but seems to be very popular here. Kind of funny :D

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Not so sure. Prices in Germany have risen recently, but I haven't ridden Amtrak in so long, I'm not sure of their prices.

In the past week for 2 people, I traveled from Frankfurt to Bamberg to Cologne to Freiburg, to Nurnberg to Bamberg to Frankfurt, and that would have cost $1,000 or more had I not had a Promotional German Rail Pass for $525

German rail passes aren't that cheap as they used to be, but I should check Amtrak to sort of compare.

I just got on and checked the details for comparison. From here in Harrisburg, to Princeton Junction, a value fare is 46 dollars for 137 miles, lasting about 2 and half hours. How does that compare to German fares?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Yepp, you were right, Bill. :tup: And indeed a nice selection. Had a Black Sheep Bitter and a Pale Ale.
We sat in the Liszt room, only three small tables with wingchairs in there, old wooden panels and a chandelier. All other rooms looked beautiful too, not to speak of the bar.
A must visit when in Liverpool.
Btw - one thing we noticed yesterday and today- how come that so many people here are wearing one of these silly christmas-sweaters. :eek: We rarely see somebody wearing something like this at home but seems to be very popular here. Kind of funny :D

Just getting into the Christmas spirit ? You`ll find it in most of the UK. We also have quite a few "German Christmas Markets". We try to do it like you Germans ;)

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
I just got on and checked the details for comparison. From here in Harrisburg, to Princeton Junction, a value fare is 46 dollars for 137 miles, lasting about 2 and half hours. How does that compare to German fares?

I can only go by time to compare because I haven't found where, if at all, it shows the km distance. But from Frankfurt to Bamberg is about 2 hours and 15 minutes and will cost you $55 euros the day of travel. If you buy it 2 days in advance, you might get it for $40 US dollars.

And that is for 1 way... not round trip. Wasn't sure if you quoted Amtrak as 1 way or round trip.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To say, if you have time (and money) to enjoy a journey and not just the destination, I'd recommend Amtrak. Did the California Zephyr from Chicago to San Francisco last month and was thoroughly enjoyable. There are couple of other routes that has spectacular scenery.

But as a means to get about from one place to another, I'd rather drive or fly.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Nessie and Bundes ? Is everybody okay in view of whats happened in Berlin ?

I am. I was in 4 different cities Christmas markets in the past week... but I wasn't in Berlin. I was even the good son and took my mom to see them as well. It was on her bucket list so I was happy to take her. The Christmas markets are really neat, although I think it's more about drinking Glühwein than shopping.

Without trampling into the politics of it, I hope that people become vigilant and aware of their surroundings. This wasn't the first attempted attack at a Christmas market this year (the other one didn't work), but the threats of these acts are always around us. Hope everyone stays safe.

Members online

Latest posts