Talk of releasing Jones. Sad but true -- adios amigo

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What should they have learned from the Jordy situation? Even in the rear view mirror it looks like it was time. And that could happen with Jones, but his time isn't up yet imho. And any money Aaron gets paid; you have to realize that the bonus money has already been spent and really should not be a part of the negotiations except maybe the year in which it's paid. Which is why I think a two year now and thereafter one year deals. Assuming he is still a good player.
The Packers tried to lowball Nelson figuring he'd accept just to stay a Packer. If they would have bumped it up another 2 million he may have stayed. Hindsight says yeah it may have been time to move on but no one knows what he may have been able to do in familiar surroundings with a HOF QB still throwing him the ball.

As far as Jones goes I had originally put in my post that the difference between he and Nelson is that I don't think Jones is as near to the end of his production as Nelson was. We agree on that.

I also originally put in some ideas as to what a potential deal could look like. My first thought was to convert most of his 11 million salary to a signing bonus on a 2 year extension that would spread that out over 3 years and knock 6 million off the cap hit for 2024. What I wasn't sure of is how the void years get treated on an extension.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe using 'legacy' instead of 'security' or 'caring for his family' alters it a bit, but I continue to believe that, in this case, someone who has made over $30 million doesn't have any reason other than pure greed (maybe, ego) to choose a contract strictly by the bottom line.

I use legacy due to the fact we don't know his life, lifestyle, and all that entails. He is a breadwinner and responsible for many people. He is a father as am I, and if I can ensure financial freedom for my children's children and/or beyond, then I would be a fool to not heavily consider that...its not greed, its prudence for not knowing what the future will bring.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I use legacy due to the fact we don't know his life, lifestyle, and all that entails. He is a breadwinner and responsible for many people. He is a father as am I, and if I can ensure financial freedom for my children's children and/or beyond, then I would be a fool to not heavily consider that...its not greed, its prudence for not knowing what the future will bring.
I don't know if my childrens children will be idiots or not so I had better squeeze every nickel I can from this job.

I get it but at some point your own happiness and well being should be important as well. Jones does not strike me as the kind of guy who would bolt for a few million dollars. Besides, he is getting to that age where he could hit the wall and much beyond 2024 becomes unlikely. If he is offered a fair deal his choices become take the financial stability that an extension offers or bank on another good season and some team coughing up even more next year. My guess is he would take the extension.

Something like a 2 year extension with 15 million in new money.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if my childrens children will be idiots or not so I had better squeeze every nickel I can from this job.

I get it but at some point your own happiness and well being should be important as well. Jones does not strike me as the kind of guy who would bolt for a few million dollars. Besides, he is getting to that age where he could hit the wall and much beyond 2024 becomes unlikely. If he is offered a fair deal his choices become take the financial stability that an extension offers or bank on another good season and some team coughing up even more next year. My guess is he would take the extension.

Something like a 2 year extension with 15 million in new money.

A few more dollars is more than a majority of people will ever know.

We shouldn't count anyone's money other than our own.

I would like to see Aaron Jones retire a Packer...he has certainly earned the right to be in the ring of honor.

However, he is from Texas.
There is professional pride.
He still is effective as a runner and vastly underrated as a pass catcher.

He would immediately be an upgrade for both the Texans and Cowboys.

These are two teams, that could conceivably pay him above market money and he could be closer to home.

I would like him to stay, but I can understand Green Bayt moving on and Aaron Jones moving on...whether mutual or otherwise.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he’s made $30M agent and Taxes took at least half (not sure what Wis taxes are these days but I believe theyre substantial) plus he may have spent a bit - family members with their hands out etc. Lets just say he has $10M left - a prudent draw is 2% which is $200K a year MAYbe 3%/$300K but thats edgy. That’s not a lavish lifestyle. I can understand these guys seeing 30 on the horizon going “I gotta go for BIG money”.

Reaction score
If he’s made $30M agent and Taxes took at least half (not sure what Wis taxes are these days but I believe theyre substantial) plus he may have spent a bit - family members with their hands out etc. Let’s just say he has $10M left - a prudent draw is 2% which is $200K a year MAYbe 3%/$300K but thats edgy. That’s not a lavish lifestyle. I can understand these guys seeing 30 on the horizon going “I gotta go for BIG money”.
He’s done better than 2%. Keep in mind there are savings accounts offering 5% right now. Many of the athletes have financial planners and I wouldn’t at all be surprised if he’s invested in real estate or other ventures that have doubled or quadrupled his investments just since he collected his first NFL paycheck. BTW it’s $35mil (gross) through 2023 and counting just for NFL compensation.
Endorsements
Adidas, Body Armor (A sports drink), Foco (Sportswear), Bird (Scooter Rental), Snickers, Oakley, Old Spice and Invisalign.

We know just from a quick 5 minute search:
He is an investor in:
-The Taco franchise, Taco Tote
(9 US Cities)
-PLB Sports (food and accessories)
-Entertainment named Aaron Jones Touchdown Squares cereal
-AJ33 Apparel line
-Track club
-SHOWTYME training program

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It can be difficult for regular Joes like most of us to even fathom what these athletes go through with their multi million dollar careers. We see a 35 million dollar payday and wonder how in the world a guy could need more. For some that wouldn't be enough. For others it would be plenty. Judging from Jones' comments last year I'm guessing he falls into the latter category.e any

If Jones was that concerned about the money I don't think he would have taken the cut last season and that cut didn't touch the 2024 salary. That means if he was satisfied with taking a cut last year he probably would be willing to again if they added new money to the deal. He wouldn't even have to take a cut if they converted salary to signing bonus.

I don't hold it against anyone for going after the money. What gets me is when they say stuff like "I really want to stay here but it is not up to me". Yes it is. Unless you dont get an offer you have the choice to take what they offer or go elsewhere for more money. If you choose to leave fine, but dont say its not up to me. Say "I'd like to stay but I'm going to go where they offer me the most money." At least be honest about it.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I imagine that some players just decide to do what their agent tells them to do. So they don't have to think about it. In that case, it's actually not up to them. I don't think Jones is that way but I can see where some might want to play it that way. Anyway you look at it, it's a big decision imho. And I think sportswriters get it wrong as to reasons why, as often as they get it right.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
A few more dollars is more than a majority of people will ever know.

We shouldn't count anyone's money other than our own.

I would like to see Aaron Jones retire a Packer...he has certainly earned the right to be in the ring of honor.

However, he is from Texas.
There is professional pride.
He still is effective as a runner and vastly underrated as a pass catcher.

He would immediately be an upgrade for both the Texans and Cowboys.

These are two teams, that could conceivably pay him above market money and he could be closer to home.

I would like him to stay, but I can understand Green Bayt moving on and Aaron Jones moving on...whether mutual or otherwise.
Denver and Phoenix are both closer to El Paso than are Dallas and Houston.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He’s done better than 2%. Keep in mind there are savings accounts offering 5% right now. Many of the athletes have financial planners and I wouldn’t at all be surprised if he’s invested in real estate or other ventures that have doubled or quadrupled his investments just since he collected his first NFL paycheck. BTW it’s $35mil (gross) through 2023 and counting just for NFL compensation.
Endorsements
Adidas, Body Armor (A sports drink), Foco (Sportswear), Bird (Scooter Rental), Snickers, Oakley, Old Spice and Invisalign.

We know just from a quick 5 minute search:
He is an investor in:
-The Taco franchise, Taco Tote
(9 US Cities)
-PLB Sports (food and accessories)
-Entertainment named Aaron Jones Touchdown Squares cereal
-AJ33 Apparel line
-Track club
-SHOWTYME training program
2% is a conservative draw to maintain your funds 3% is pretty aggressive. Yes you can (could) get 5% relatively short term… 5% minus 2% minus taxes minus inflation means your were losing money. All those investments you cited (Taco Tote???? Touchdown Squares Cereal???) - never heard of them. Maybe they’re legit - maybe they’re the places sports figures lose their shirts. I (used to) invest a lot of money for a lot of people. Taco Tote and Touchdown Squares Cereal were never on my radar LOL. Honestly I hope AJ took good care of his money. A diversified investment portfolio he SHOULD be set for life but - that would be rare. (There’s really something called Touchdown Squares Cereal and TACO TOTE?? )

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I imagine that some players just decide to do what their agent tells them to do. So they don't have to think about it. In that case, it's actually not up to them. I don't think Jones is that way but I can see where some might want to play it that way. Anyway you look at it, it's a big decision imho. And I think sportswriters get it wrong as to reasons why, as often as they get it right.
I'm sure they do but ultimately its the player who tells the agent to do this.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never sensed any angst between Jones and the Packers. I'm convinced it will all get worked out in due time.
He seems clearly to love being a Packer. I think he'd really enjoy another year or two of doing the Leap before he leaves this phase of his life behind forever.

David Ciembronowicz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones showed his value in the last 5 games, without him they would not have destroyed Dallas and played with SF. Give the guy a contract and find a new BU in the draft. Understand there are FA out there, anyone better than Jones for the same money? Now if they want to really do something worthwhile designate Bahktiari for release. Why pay those millions when this guy has played what a dozen or so games in 3 years. Seriously? Do not know why they gave him the contract extension, hard to believe they did not know how bad the knee damage is.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Word has broken we are signing Josh Jacobs and releasing Jones.....damn this feels like a nut punch Jones is going to be gone. Damn
Yeah. Sad day in Packernation seeing Bakhtiari and Jones gone in the same day.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Releasing Jones frees up $5.22M+ on the cap and who knows, maybe he tests the market and is resigned by the Packers. That said, I think there will be several teams that will pay Jones a lot more than the Packers would.

OP
OP
P

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seeing conflicting reports. One the Packers help to keep Jones and other that they've already decided to release him

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts