Talk of releasing Jones. Sad but true -- adios amigo

Reaction score
So if i read correctly Jones costs $6M to realease in dead cap - that money is gone .. the only thing in play is his $5M salary this year. Seems like GBs options are to pay him his $5M this year OR extend him a year or preferably 2. Now that I’ve seen the numbers, it’s not even a big issue. People get bent out of shape about “paying $11M” … no … you already paid $6M. Maybe we can spread some of that out doing something like 3 years $18M with $9M garaunteed. Saves us $5M cap this year - worst case pushes a $6M dead cap hit to next year (cap will be higher and we could split that between 2025 and 2026). The internet will buzz about Jones being disrespected with a $2M salary cut this year - but in reality it puts $4M more in his pocket as soon as he signs and gives him security about the end of his career. Just doesnt seem all that complicated
Yeah. I think Aaron Jones has 2 more seasons in him at a semi high level (just my guess) and he’s a tremendous teammate. Obviously as security I’d want a medium hard contract out in 2025 as a backup in his new deal. Meaning if we have to wash $3Mil or whatever if in decline so be it. As long as he’s reasonable I’d hold into him.

I’d rather we go after an upgrade as more presumable RB2. Someone that can carry the load if necessary (Dillon is ok-ish, but has proven NOT to be relied upon for that). Dillon is ok but a relative disappointment for a 2nd Rounder and he’s waning which doesn’t leave me warm and fuzzy. If we want to keep him at RB3 $$ fine

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually don't want a big back. Strong, yes. Can push a defender ala Jones at the goal line...yes. But I also want the back to hit the line fast, with good vision and cutting ability ala Jones. Think we should get a top ranked interior lineman before a RB though. And probably a tackle after the interior and before the RB. Which would still leave room for an inside linebacker and a safety/corner. We'll have to see how it plays out because one of those good Def Tackles could be in play. I'm hoping that Wilson can be the #3. I have liked what I've seen of him.
Good point that I missed. When Dillon was drafted I think the Packers thought he was Eddie Lacy 2.0 - instead they got a strong back, more like a FB, who could move a pile 5 yards but couldn't get significant yards after contact. I'm pretty sure Gluten didn't have a FB in mind when he took Dillon in round 2.

So yeah what you outline is a good approach. Solidify the o line and then pick a RB. Makes sense.

I disagree about Wilson - or maybe I just didn't watch that closely.

What I hope they don't do is take a RB in FA. There are some solid guys on the list, but each one has miles of hard hits and come at a price that's too high.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if i read correctly Jones costs $6M to realease in dead cap - that money is gone .. the only thing in play is his $5M salary this year. Seems like GBs options are to pay him his $5M this year OR extend him a year or preferably 2. Now that I’ve seen the numbers, it’s not even a big issue. People get bent out of shape about “paying $11M” … no … you already paid $6M. Maybe we can spread some of that out doing something like 3 years $18M with $9M garaunteed. Saves us $5M cap this year - worst case pushes a $6M dead cap hit to next year (cap will be higher and we could split that between 2025 and 2026). The internet will buzz about Jones being disrespected with a $2M salary cut this year - but in reality it puts $4M more in his pocket as soon as he signs and gives him security about the end of his career. Just doesnt seem all that complicated
Makes sense and even though his agent may have other ideas, Jones won't let this drag out. He'll be back, it won't cost a fortune, and if he can give them 12 quality starts, everyone wins.

And the intangible is that Jones gives this team a spark every time he's on the field.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Aaron Jones is the best RB we've had since the Packers resurgence in the '90s. Anyone disagree? It would be nice to get him a Super Bowl ring (with us).

Reaction score
I think Aaron Jones is the best RB we've had since the Packers resurgence in the '90s. Anyone disagree? It would be nice to get him a Super Bowl ring (with us).
It’s between him and Ahman Green because he was Uber productive. Ti the tune of near 12,000 all purpose with us. I love Aaron Jones though, he’s been an absolute blessing and he might very well have a couple years left in the tank. If I’m not mistaken #33 is about 4,000 yards behind Ahman BUT.. I’m pretty sure he’s here 1-2 more seasons and he can close on that gap some more. Adding in his full profile he’s about as good as you can ask for from a later 5th round selection.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just a little comparable to a 4 time Probowler,
Dalvin Cook (#41 overall 2017)
8,069 scrimmage
52 TD’s
5.1 avg per touch
4.6 per rush
7.9 per reception; 5 TD receiving
88 games/21 Fumbles (.24/gm)
Broke 5.0 per carry 1 season
4 playoff contests; 3.3 yards/ touch
4 time Probowler

Aaron Jones (#182 overall 2017)
8,016 scrimmage
63 TD’s
5.5 avg per touch
5.0 per Rush
7.6 per reception; 18TD’s receiving
97 games/15 Fumbles (.15/gm)
Broke 5.5 per carry 3 seasons
7 playoff contests; 5.5 yards/touch
1 Probowl

Aaron Jones > Dalvin Cook

Last edited:

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a little comparable to a 4 time Probowler,
Dalvin Cook (#41 overall 2017)
8,069 scrimmage
52 TD’s
5.1 avg per touch
4.6 per rush
7.9 per reception; 5 TD receiving
88 games/21 Fumbles (.24/gm)
Broke 5.0 per carry 1 season
4 playoff contests; 3.3 yards/ touch
4 time Probowler

Aaron Jones (#182 overall 2017)
8,016 scrimmage
63 TD’s
5.5 avg per touch
5.0 per Rush
7.6 per reception; 18TD’s receiving
97 games/15 Fumbles (.15/gm)
Broke 5.5 per carry 3 seasons
7 playoff contests; 5.5 yards/touch
1 Probowl

Aaron Jones > Dalvin Cook
Interesting thank you

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Ahnan green
Green was very good. Had better breakaway speed than Jones which allowed him to break longer TD runs. I personally think that Jones is more effective between the tackles than Green but just going off memory here. I'd guess that Green had higher per game average of carries but I think he was more capable of handling that load than Jones. I think that both coaches managed Jones' workload very adeptly though I think Jones should have been used more often in motion and split wide than he has been.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green did have the advantage of playing while GB by far had the best screen game in the NFL. IMO.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Jones but I would give the nod to Green as well. Jones is a threat but It just seems that Green was a shoestring tackle from busting soooo many long ones.

I also think Green was relied on to be the man more than Jones. Even when Jones is healthy I don't think he gets the usage that Green did.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Journalism isn't what it used to be. It's no longer about being the first guy to get it right; too often it's about being the first guy to get the headline. Friggin' internet, and the 10-second attention span.
Exactly.

What was once known as "Investigative Journalism", is now known as "Sensationalize Journalism".

Search engines need a way for readers to be able to "score" an article from 100 to -100. Then articles can be arranged in searches from highest rated to lowest rated. This will not just help us readers to find more reliable info and posters, but it will tell advertisers who to invest their money in.

OP
OP
P

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still seeing on several Packers sites on sport spider the now debunked even by Silverstein himself line that the Packers will release Jones if they can't come to a contract restructure. The decline of journalism continues.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
All this talk of the Packers cutting Jones is ridiculous. I could see them considering it if they were in full rebuild mode, but they aren't. I could see it making sense, if they had a very capable guy to take his place, but they don't. The Packers have a legit shot at a very good run at another SB and nobody else on the current roster that can even be considered #2 RB.

What we are talking about is $11,858,823 or the amount the Packers have to write a check for in 2024 to pay Jones to be their #1 offensive weapon, not named Love. All the rest of the numbers (cap savings, dead cap, etc.) are strictly noise. Aaron loves GB, wants to be in GB and is needed for the Packer offense to be running at a high level. Jones played in 13 of 19 games last season. While the Packers did lose 6 of those games, in 5 of those 6 losses, Jones had 13 or less carries and only 18 in the other loss (San Fran). Even more telling was his low # of carries in the losses to the Lions (5 carries), Broncos (8) and Vikings (7).

Yup, his cap hit this year, if they don't restructure is $17.575M, but if they cut or trade him, they still get hit with a total dead cap of $12.348M. I just don't see it making sense to cut him.

Personally, I think all the noise was created by Silverstein, in his over the top response to "negotiation talk" by both sides. No doubt the Packers would like to rework the deal, extend Jones, and soften the cap hit. I also don't doubt that Jones would like to stay in GB, but wants to get paid like the back he is.

I prefer they come to mutually good terms, but I also don't doubt that Jones will be wearing #33 in Green and Gold in 2024.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Still seeing on several Packers sites on sport spider the now debunked even by Silverstein himself line that the Packers will release Jones if they can't come to a contract restructure. The decline of journalism continues.
That is because a headline of "Packers and Jones still working out a deal that would be beneficial to both", won't get nearly the clicks of "BREAKING: Packers set to cut their #1 offensive weapon".

I also notice that there are a bunch of NFL fan bases with articles on what their team would look like if they signed Jones in Free Agency. :roflmao:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Truthfully a lot of it is not the decline of journalism it is the ignorance of people. Folks will believe anything...dear lord I am on a couple facebook Packer pages and it's mindboggling how dumb some are.

Members online

No members online now.