Talk of releasing Jones. Sad but true -- adios amigo

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Watching and hearing draft comment in hindsight is pretty comical though.
Don't recognize either of the 2 guys that liked Brohm more than Rodgers. Probably why they might not still be in broadcasting?
He was drafted in 2008. Favre was gone.
Favre wasn't fully gone. The draft was after he announced his plans to retire. Hard to imagine TT and Co. didn't have some inkling that Favre wasn't fully committed to staying retired. Perhaps the Brohm pick was TT's way of signaling he was done with Favre?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Before this season you could have said most of the same things about Love. IMO.
I personally think Gute drafted Love to succeed Rodgers. When that would happen was anyone's guess. His back to back solid seasons just delayed the inevitable.

Last edited:

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally thing Gute drafted Love to succeed Rodgers. When that would happen was anyone's guess. His back to back solid seasons just delayed the inevitable.
Yeah, I don't think there's any doubt that Gutsy was safeguarding the QB position for the post-Rodgers era. You could make a case that he dove in a year too early (I doubt he drafted Love as a 3-year project/investment), but I can understand and respect that if he looked at Love in 2020 and genuinely saw the quarterback that the rest of us finally saw in 2023, he felt it was the best strategic use of that pick. I don't think there was a single, solitary one of us that agreed at the time (I mean, 3 years???), but he planted his flag, stuck his neck out, and took the shot, and here we are today.

I do (and proably always will) wonder if it would have turned out as well if he'd traded Rodgers a year earlier, the spring after the damned fool blew up the NFCCG against the Niners in January 21. I wanted him gone then (completely, thoroughly, really most sincerely gone to Denver), but that obviously didn't happen, and I guess we'll never know how it would have turned out if we'd switched horses to Love for the 2022 season.

In all honesty, I doubt it would have gone so well - partly because Jordan would not have been quite as ready, and partly because we did not yet have as many pieces in place to support him, but we'll never know. All we can say today is that when the time finally came, Jordan and the rest of the team were ready, and Gutekunst looks ike a football Einstein.

Which I guess is good enough for me. There is not a single team in the NFL with whom I would trade places today, period. I don't think there is a single team who is better positioned for success over the next ~3 year window, and 90% of that comes down to a high level of confidence in Jordan Love and the man who drafted him and then built a team around the quarterback he expected Love to become.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't recognize either of the 2 guys that liked Brohm more than Rodgers. Probably why they might not still be in broadcasting?

Favre wasn't fully gone. The draft was after he announced his plans to retire. Hard to imagine TT and Co. didn't have some inkling that Favre wasn't fully committed to staying retired. Perhaps the Brohm pick was TT's way of signaling he was done with Favre?
Thompson and McCarthy had gone down to Mississippi in February to supposedly see if Favre would come back. Favre said he was retiring. Words have meaning. Thompson really had no choice but to move forward. So, he drafted Brohm and Flynn.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think there's any doubt that Gutsy was safeguarding the QB position for the post-Rodgers era. You could make a case that he dove in a year too early (I doubt he drafted Love as a 3-year project/investment), but I can understand and respect that if he looked at Love in 2020 and genuinely saw the quarterback that the rest of us finally saw in 2023, he felt it was the best strategic use of that pick. I don't think there was a single, solitary one of us that agreed at the time (I mean, 3 years???), but he planted his flag, stuck his neck out, and took the shot, and here we are today.

I do (and proably always will) wonder if it would have turned out as well if he'd traded Rodgers a year earlier, the spring after the damned fool blew up the NFCCG against the Niners in January 21. I wanted him gone then (completely, thoroughly, really most sincerely gone to Denver), but that obviously didn't happen, and I guess we'll never know how it would have turned out if we'd switched horses to Love for the 2022 season.

In all honesty, I doubt it would have gone so well - partly because Jordan would not have been quite as ready, and partly because we did not yet have as many pieces in place to support him, but we'll never know. All we can say today is that when the time finally came, Jordan and the rest of the team were ready, and Gutekunst looks ike a football Einstein.

Which I guess is good enough for me. There is not a single team in the NFL with whom I would trade places today, period. I don't think there is a single team who is better positioned for success over the next ~3 year window, and 90% of that comes down to a high level of confidence in Jordan Love and the man who drafted him and then built a team around the quarterback he expected Love to become.
My opinion is, that you don't just pick a/any QB in any given year In the first round because that is the year. You pick your guy if he is becoming available because you believe in your guy and he presents extremely good draft value.

Gutekunst had no way of knowing that Rodgers would win 2 MVP's following the drafting of Love and more importantly, 13 wins in each of those seasons.

I think Gutekunst had a suspicion that he might have a crack at Love because he told Rodgers in February 2020 that he might draft a QB.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gutekunst had no way of knowing that Rodgers would win 2 MVP's following the drafting of Love and more importantly, 13 wins in each of those seasons.
Oddly enough, those seasons sort of made it easier to let Rodgers go, at least for me. 2 MVP seasons, 13 wins each season, and the #1 seed in the playoffs both times. But it still wasn't enough to get us over the hump. If you can't get it done under those ideal circumstances, you might as well start over.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oddly enough, those seasons sort of made it easier to let Rodgers go, at least for me. 2 MVP seasons, 13 wins each season, and the #1 seed in the playoffs both times. But it still wasn't enough to get us over the hump. If you can't get it done under those ideal circumstances, you might as well start over.
Exact same for me. After that San Francisco disaster, I knew without a doubt we were never going to win another Lombardi with Aaron. So it was either spend a couple more years watching him pad his stats in the regular season, or move on and give Love a chance.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Exact same for me. After that San Francisco disaster, I knew without a doubt we were never going to win another Lombardi with Aaron. So it was either spend a couple more years watching him pad his stats in the regular season, or move on and give Love a chance.
Tough crowd.

While I think it was time to get rid of Rodgers after missing the playoffs in 2022 and all his off the field drama, I would never infer that 13 win seasons were disappointing or underachieving. I get peoples frustrations with not winning Super Bowls in 2020 and 2021, but laying the blame squarely on Rodgers for coming up short is a bit much IMO.

Sadly Rodgers legacy in Green Bay has taken a lot of dings in the past few years, but the man was one of the best QB's to ever play the game. I hope people don't remember him as "a guy that won just 1 Super Bowl", because that would be underselling his accomplishments.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tough crowd.

While I think it was time to get rid of Rodgers after missing the playoffs in 2022 and all his off the field drama, I would never infer that 13 win seasons were disappointing or underachieving. I get peoples frustrations with not winning Super Bowls in 2020 and 2021, but laying the blame squarely on Rodgers for coming up short is a bit much IMO.

Sadly Rodgers legacy in Green Bay has taken a lot of dings in the past few years, but the man was one of the best QB's to ever play the game. I hope people don't remember him as "a guy that won just 1 Super Bowl", because that would be underselling his accomplishments.
Well, that's the truth of it, he's won exactly one Super Bowl. Now you can say that's quite an achievement, or you could say it's underachieving. Is the glass half empty or half full?

Anyway, I certainly did not mean to say that the blame for the Packers not winning the Super Bowl in '20 or '21 was on Rodgers. He was very expensive though, and his contract could be one reason we didn't have another key player or two.

And remember also, he didn't offer to take a pay cut until he went to the Jets.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well, that's the truth of it, he's won exactly one Super Bowl. Now you can say that's quite an achievement, or you could say it's underachieving. Is the glass half empty or half full?
I guess I don't view Super Bowl wins as carrying a ton of weight in the full evaluation of just 1 players career. The list of QB's to win a SB will back that up, as well as the list of QB's that didn't win a SB. I'm not saying that they (SB's) aren't important, but there is way more that goes into evaluating a players career than "How many SB's did he win?"

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Details of Aaron Jones 1 year deal with the Vikings, it includes 4 more voidable years. The Vikings are having to do this with a lot of players, given that they have very little cap space(~$6.8M).

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Details of Aaron Jones 1 year deal with the Vikings, it includes 4 more voidable years. The Vikings are having to do this with a lot of players, given that they have very little cap space(~$6.8M).

What a shame. I just hate to hear of their misfortune. :D