Talk of releasing Jones. Sad but true -- adios amigo

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just reading where the Packers are asking Jones to restructure his contract and take another pay cut. If they can't come to an agreement, they'll release him. Unbelievable. Just cut the crap and get it done.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just reading where the Packers are asking Jones to restructure his contract and take another pay cut. If they can't come to an agreement, they'll release him. Unbelievable. Just cut the crap and get it done.
Silverstein has amended to stress they’re discussing ways of lower his cap hit, not demanding a cut or release

OP
OP
P

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Silverstein has amended to stress they’re discussing ways of lower his cap hit, not demanding a cut or release
That's good news. The way it was worded by CBS sports and other sites sounded pretty cut and dried.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was irresponsible for him to even phrase it that way originally. He didn't just get out of college; he's been around long enough to understand how inflammatory that language was going to be - and how fast it was going to go viral, and blow up into a thousand hack "breaking news" stories from 3rd rate wannabe internet influencers.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was irresponsible for him to even phrase it that way originally. He didn't just get out of college; he's been around long enough to understand how inflammatory that language was going to be - and how fast it was going to go viral, and blow up into a thousand hack "breaking news" stories from 3rd rate wannabe internet influencers.
So it worked then? Since when did responsible become a requirement for what passes as journalism?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who knows, it wouldn't be incredible to think Jone's agent wanted to spur the negotiations with priming an over the top story. Agents have plenty of shills to move an irresponsible story if they want it. Jones is the straw that stirs the drink for the Packers offense. Letting him hit the open market would be insane if they really are serious about winning in 2024.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who knows, it wouldn't be incredible to think Jone's agent wanted to spur the negotiations with priming an over the top story. Agents have plenty of shills to move an irresponsible story if they want it.
Good point. I wouldn't be shocked at all.

But if that were the case, Silverstein should have been more cautious before tweeting out specific language like that. That was a pretty bold usage of words. Whatever his source was, he should have been more careful about saying that without vetting the source, because he's been around long enough to know that that's just the sort of seed an agent might plant to stir up some excitement about contract talks and get the fans yelling "get this done, pay the man, don't let him get away!"

If Silverstein manages his own Twitter account (which is highly likely), then he had final control over that verbiage. I've always liked Silverstein, but this is disappointing. He kind of let one get away here. It looks like the rumor got snuffed out pretty quickly, but if I were Silverstein, I'd be a feeling a little bit sheepish.

Journalism isn't what it used to be. It's no longer about being the first guy to get it right; too often it's about being the first guy to get the headline. Friggin' internet, and the 10-second attention span.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ not going anywhere. Being creative on contractual. The tread is still on the tires. Pass the weinerschnitzel.
Agreed. Wilson hasn't shown anything suggesting he can be a #2 back. They will draft a RB who ideally takes over for Jones at some point, but Dillon will still be there. Any cap savings from letting him go would be small, all things considered. They might go for a RB in FA, but the draft would be better, considering the position and the toll it takes.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But if that were the case, Silverstein should have been more cautious before tweeting out specific language like that. That was a pretty bold usage of words. Whatever his source was, he should have been more careful about saying that without vetting the source, because he's been around long enough to know that that's just the sort of seed an agent might plant to stir up some excitement about contract talks and get the fans yelling "get this done, pay the man, don't let him get away!"

If Silverstein manages his own Twitter account (which is highly likely), then he had final control over that verbiage. I've always liked Silverstein, but this is disappointing. He kind of let one get away here. It looks like the rumor got snuffed out pretty quickly, but if I were Silverstein, I'd be a feeling a little bit sheepish.

Journalism isn't what it used to be. It's no longer about being the first guy to get it right; too often it's about being the first guy to get the headline. Friggin' internet, and the 10-second attention span.
Silverstein gave a little negotiation juice to Jones' agent, but it's crazy to think the Packers would release him, and they probably all know that. Jones will be back, so will Dillon and they will draft a RB. Wilson's days are numbered.

And they're not gonna use FA money on a RB. S is a lot more likely, and a lot more expensive. Gluten has been pretty good at using cap space (when he's had any), and it looks like he'll have around $30 mil.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think that friggen Drew Rosenhaus is Aaron's agent. Perhaps he's cooled his jets over the decades (I doubt it though) ... I'd be sure that he's in Aaron's ear telling him to get all the cheese curds he can in what's probably going to be his last contract.

All I care to add is PAY THE MAN! We all witnessed how that offense changed when Jones got back fully healthy.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He isn’t leaving he wants to stay I’m 99.9 percent sure coming from the player himself

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Friggin' internet, and the 10-second attention span.

Bring this up again come the draft. I remember in the '80s, being overseas and not knowing for a couple of days. Now, it's folks wanting/needing to see the pick in seconds.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay is going to have to pay near market price. They might not have to be THE top dollar because other things do matter. But this is Jones last chance to put money in his pocket.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That's good news. The way it was worded by CBS sports and other sites sounded pretty cut and dried.
Consider the sources. National press people can't be blindly trusted to make sense. They don't care in the least if they get a story all wrong.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think that friggen Drew Rosenhaus is Aaron's agent. Perhaps he's cooled his jets over the decades (I doubt it though) ... I'd be sure that he's in Aaron's ear telling him to get all the cheese curds he can in what's probably going to be his last contract.

All I care to add is PAY THE MAN! We all witnessed how that offense changed when Jones got back fully healthy.
Just PAY THE MAN! Well said weeds.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed. Wilson hasn't shown anything suggesting he can be a #2 back. They will draft a RB who ideally takes over for Jones at some point, but Dillon will still be there. Any cap savings from letting him go would be small, all things considered. They might go for a RB in FA, but the draft would be better, considering the position and the toll it takes.
Dillion is gone

Reaction score
Dillion is gone
Yeah unfortunately for Dillon we have
1. A plethora of draft picks between Rds2-Rd7 where all this years drafted RB’s should fall (currently 10 selections)
2. A choice of a surplus of “big RB’s” in the draft. 46% of the top 50 RB’s (23) are listed at 215lb+ and 13-14 of what are arguably a top 50 list are 220lb+
3. A deep RB class who can qualify as a Day3 draft quality option.
4. Only so much to relegate $$Cap$$ per Room and a large portion committed towards #33
5. A rough 2023 statistical season

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah unfortunately for Dillon we have
1. A plethora of draft picks between Rds2-Rd7 where all this years drafted RB’s should fall (currently 10 selections)
2. A choice of a surplus of “big RB’s” in the draft. 46% of the top 50 RB’s (23) are listed at 215lb+ and 13-14 of what are arguably a top 50 list are 220lb+
3. A deep RB class who can qualify as a Day3 draft quality option.
4. Only so much to relegate $$Cap$$ per Room and a large portion committed towards #33
5. A rough 2023 statistical season
It will be a hard decision for Gluten. I think you're right and they'll take a bigger back on day 3 to compete with Dillon. They'll use an earlier pick on a guy to eventually replace Jones.

I still think Dillon stays because Jones and two draft picks is too risky. Wilson has shown nothing and I don't think they'll use FA on a RB. Well, we'll find out in a few months.

Reaction score
It will be a hard decision for Gluten. I think you're right and they'll take a bigger back on day 3 to compete with Dillon. They'll use an earlier pick on a guy to eventually replace Jones.

I still think Dillon stays because Jones and two draft picks is too risky. Wilson has shown nothing and I don't think they'll use FA on a RB. Well, we'll find out in a few months.
Yep. Those are 3 things (not to steal it from Larry) we really need to look at closely right now.
A) A replacement (hopefully upgrade) at H-back
B) a successor to groom behind Jones
and
C) a compliment to B

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I actually don't want a big back. Strong, yes. Can push a defender ala Jones at the goal line...yes. But I also want the back to hit the line fast, with good vision and cutting ability ala Jones. Think we should get a top ranked interior lineman before a RB though. And probably a tackle after the interior and before the RB. Which would still leave room for an inside linebacker and a safety/corner. We'll have to see how it plays out because one of those good Def Tackles could be in play. I'm hoping that Wilson can be the #3. I have liked what I've seen of him.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if i read correctly Jones costs $6M to realease in dead cap - that money is gone .. the only thing in play is his $5M salary this year. Seems like GBs options are to pay him his $5M this year OR extend him a year or preferably 2. Now that I’ve seen the numbers, it’s not even a big issue. People get bent out of shape about “paying $11M” … no … you already paid $6M. Maybe we can spread some of that out doing something like 3 years $18M with $9M garaunteed. Saves us $5M cap this year - worst case pushes a $6M dead cap hit to next year (cap will be higher and we could split that between 2025 and 2026). The internet will buzz about Jones being disrespected with a $2M salary cut this year - but in reality it puts $4M more in his pocket as soon as he signs and gives him security about the end of his career. Just doesnt seem all that complicated

Reaction score
Keep an eye on Marshawn Lloyd. In his Junior season. He’d be a great compliment to Aaron Jones this year. Has some work to do on Pass blocking technique (likes to chop block) but he’s a good Run blocker

8+ per touch (with only 13 catches factoring)
7+ on the ground
18 yds per catch

Among all combine RB’s
8th Vertical (36”)
6th 40-yard (4.46)

He’s helped himself this Combine. Throwing out the highs and lows projection he’s in that 100 overall area. I think Aaron Jones is a given to repeat he just needs a smidge better compliment behind him. Watch when Lloyd finds a Corner he’s not elite breakaway but he’s notable faster in space than Dillon.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts