Packers vs Broncos Game Thread: Mile High Rumble Edition

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To see people really blaming the defense is baffling smh
I don't blame the defense for Sunday's loss, though I'm certainly not going to pat them on the back for another inept 6 YPC game defensively on the ground and 350 yards to a generally inept Denver offense, forcing no turnovers and failing to protect a late lead.

Regardless, Joe Barry should be fired.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ Dillon was our leading receiver... with 34 yards?! Am I reading this right? This is what they present, after a bye?
By this time, we should be used to MLF teams underperforming after a bye. But yeah, that's a disturbing stat. I couldn't watch the game either (*#$&! stupid regional coverage). With Rodgers gone, I have a feeling they're not going to be showing as many Packer games.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
By this time, we should be used to MLF teams underperforming after a bye. But yeah, that's a disturbing stat. I couldn't watch the game either (*#$&! stupid regional coverage). With Rodgers gone, I have a feeling they're not going to be showing as many Packer games.
Nfl network with you tube tv

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ugh, got hit by "regional bias" too, huh? We will win ZERO games with 34 yards being the top receiving stat, not in this pass friendly league. Since week 2, Love has 4 TD's to 7 INT's, with a QBR of 38 according to ESPN. The backup for AZ is playing better, heck, the D2 QB for the baby bears looked better. Again, the Broncos are not a defensive powerhouse either. Since week 2, we've lost 3 of 4. I get that this team is young, but instead of seeing growth, this team is trending down. The best team we've played (by a longshot) is Detroit. Heck, we're messing up teams #1 overall pick chances. I didn't have high hopes for this team, but it looks like we won't be able to win 5 or more games this year. Again, I was forced to miss the game, but have there been many positives since week 2?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since week 2, we've lost 3 of 4. I get that this team is young, but instead of seeing growth, this team is trending down.
I think that's the worst thing about all of it. Instead of showing improvement, we seem to be going backwards. This feels like the '70s, not only is the team anemic, but it seems like this hole could take a long time to climb out of.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that's the worst thing about all of it. Instead of showing improvement, we seem to be going backwards. This feels like the '70s, not only is the team anemic, but it seems like this hole could take a long time to climb out of.
And let me be clear, for the most part, I don't blame the players, I blame the coaching staff and the front office. How are we 32nd ranked offense in the first half of games? That's not a fail, it's an epic failure. Defenses are marking when they play GB on their calendar.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't blame the defense for Sunday's loss, though I'm certainly not going to pat them on the back for another inept 6 YPC game defensively on the ground and 350 yards to a generally inept Denver offense, forcing no turnovers and failing to protect a late lead.

Regardless, Joe Barry should be fired.
The defense is not going to get better. If anything it will get worse. We lose players on D every week both in game and in practice. And some of it is because we are playing too much defense. Another month from now our lineup will be rookies, practice squad signers, and Kenny Clark. If you are a former defensive player looking for a job GB may be the first place you apply. Now even the safety job is an opportunity.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense is not going to get better. If anything it will get worse. We lose players on D every week both in game and in practice. And some of it is because we are playing too much defense. Another month from now our lineup will be rookies, practice squad signers, and Kenny Clark. If you are a former defensive player looking for a job GB may be the first place you apply. Now even the safety job is an opportunity.
That's a good point about more injuries when you are on the field so much. Another reason why bend but don't break sucks.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And let me be clear, for the most part, I don't blame the players, I blame the coaching staff and the front office. How are we 32nd ranked offense in the first half of games? That's not a fail, it's an epic failure. Defenses are marking when they play GB on their calendar.
Beat up OL. Jones looking more and more like he may be done sooner rather than later. First year starter at QB. Our receivers are all rookies aside from Watson (who has done nothing this year), Doubs and Deguera. I mean, it kinda adds up. But they have looked good overall in the second half all year. Better days are ahead.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a good point about more injuries when you are on the field so much. Another reason why bend but don't break sucks.
That is the goal of every company. Eliminate work but create a productive job. And stay in one piece.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have stats to back this up, but my recollection is it was more the opposite when we had Rodgers. Seems like the offense would come out hot in the first half, and then fall off in the second.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have stats to back this up, but my recollection is it was more the opposite when we had Rodgers. Seems like the offense would come out hot in the first half, and then fall off in the second.

Atleast last year figures I found:

1st Qtr 10th
2nd Qtr 16th
3rd Qtr 18th
4th Qtr 23rd
So your memory is right we got worse as games went on not better.

For those that haven't seen me share this year's breakdown:

1st Qtr - 28th
2nd Qtr - 32nd
3rd Qtr - 1st
4th Qtr - 4th

Halves:

2022 First Half - 13th
2022 Second Half - 21st

2023 First Half - 32nd
2023 Second Half - 1st

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that we are going to run the table!

Realistically, I don't mind all of the losing. I would be happy with a top 10 first round pick and a QB that realizes all of the AR and coaches' praise doesn't mean anything. He's going to have to work on his game a lot more to be good. Next year is when we will see what he will really be.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that we are going to run the table!

Realistically, I don't mind all of the losing. I would be happy with a top 10 first round pick and a QB that realizes all of the AR and coaches' praise doesn't mean anything. He's going to have to work on his game a lot more to be good. Next year is when we will see what he will really be.

I am unsold on any of the QB prospects not named Maye in the Top 10 personally.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we write off Love after one season I would be shocked. On Sunday, I saw a QB that is only allowed to run the offense in "valet" mode. I saw a QB that isn't recognizing the coverages yet. One that pushes for completions when he should be taking what the defense presents. I see a QB who is missing a lot of throws, either behind in the short/intermediate routes or not on target when throwing long. Those things can get better as he learns the position. He has the arm strength but not the touch. I think that he has the vision but not yet the recognition. We didn't draft CJ Stroud or Andrew Luck. This will take some time to see what we really have, and nobody, nobody, knows yet. We all have opinions but none of us know yet.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score

1st Qtr - 28th
2nd Qtr - 32nd
3rd Qtr - 1st
4th Qtr - 4t

Atleast last year figures I found:

1st Qtr 10th
2nd Qtr 16th
3rd Qtr 18th
4th Qtr 23rd
So your memory is right we got worse as games went on not better.

1st Qtr - 28th
2nd Qtr - 32nd
3rd Qtr - 1st
4th Qtr - 4th

Halves:

2022 First Half - 13th
2022 Second Half - 21st

2023 First Half - 32nd
2023 Second Half - 1st
Those stats are insane. Obviously there's a lot of room for evening things out there. But that would still leave us only in the middle.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we write off Love after one season I would be shocked. On Sunday, I saw a QB that is only allowed to run the offense in "valet" mode. I saw a QB that isn't recognizing the coverages yet. One that pushes for completions when he should be taking what the defense presents. I see a QB who is missing a lot of throws, either behind in the short/intermediate routes or not on target when throwing long. Those things can get better as he learns the position. He has the arm strength but not the touch. I think that he has the vision but not yet the recognition. We didn't draft CJ Stroud or Andrew Luck. This will take some time to see what we really have, and nobody, nobody, knows yet. We all have opinions but none of us know yet.
I'm going to borrow a quote from a famous TV personalty and say "stay off the weed". Folks act like he's a rookie, but he's not, this is year 4. Love has the worst completion percentage of ALL QB's for passes beyond 10 yards (38%), that's embarrassing. He's been playing worse than J. Doubs in AZ. Let's not forget that he's NOT progressing, he's regressing. It's not like he's playing against top flight defenses either. After a bye, how was it that he performed against a team that gave up 70 points? And has he even passed for more than 230 yards in a game yet? I'm personally done with giving him chances, let's not forget, he threw 17 INT's in 13 games in college, and he's on pace to throw away more than that in the NFL.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not going to quote the entire 100 lines of text. But you're talking about coaching here, not play-calling. There was nothing wrong with the call. You can clearly see that Dillon was wide open for at least a 10-15 yard gain. So the play that was called was sound. It was Love's decision on the play that was the problem.

It’s ok. He’s young and maybe Matt want him to make his own mistakes? I don’t know. I’m about winning games in the meantime and maybe a bit controlling side working with a novice, but I’ve seen our own coaches (as well as others professionals) make critical down n distance mistakes on occasion.
So for me? expecting a player with 6 games experience to see everything on the field in the macro sense on possibly the most critical (or last) play for my Offense? I don’t agree with that. It’s probably a timeout there for me with 1 second game clock. That’s just me you might coach different but I’m pretty competitive. :D

Btw what am I saving my to timeout for I want the clock to run here. Why not huddle on that play on the sideline and see what setup the D had? It’s not like we carry timeouts game to game just call a timeout at 1 sec game clock. What is this rollover minutes

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like the defense needs to be better utilize and better much beefed up.
The focus the last 10-15 seasons has been leaner and faster. We have not had much in the way of beef since Grady Jackson, Gilbert Brown, and Reggie.

txj

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will take A LOT more than that!
It will take a front office that is not reliving the NFL of the past but one of today.
You have a young QB and you are not surrounding him with top talent that is ready to go TODAY, not next year, not later in the season, but NOW!

Look at how aggressive the front offices of all the successful teams are. We are forever sitting pat, doing the same damn things since Thompson...
I'm totally fed up!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The teams that are aggressive in FA can only do so if they don't have a franchise QB or have one who is still on a rookie deal. It's not realistic in the modern NFL to have a HOF QB on your roster, along with several others at the top end of the pay scale, and then be expected to be "aggressive." You're living in a fantasy world.

We are still locked into Rodgers contract. The Packers had the third highest amount of dead salary cap money heading into the season (https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/07/2023-nfl-dead-money-by-team). You can't be aggressive until the team's salary cap heals. It's wonderful to say that we should have veterans around Love, but how do you pay for them? The Packers hit the reset button whether any of us like it or not. Thirty years of consistent success comes at a price eventually.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The teams that are aggressive in FA can only do so if they don't have a franchise QB or have one who is still on a rookie deal. It's not realistic in the modern NFL to have a HOF QB on your roster, along with several others at the top end of the pay scale, and then be expected to be "aggressive." You're living in a fantasy world.

We are still locked into Rodgers contract. The Packers had the third highest amount of dead salary cap money heading into the season (https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/07/2023-nfl-dead-money-by-team). You can't be aggressive until the team's salary cap heals. It's wonderful to say that we should have veterans around Love, but how do you pay for them? The Packers hit the reset button whether any of us like it or not. Thirty years of consistent success comes at a price eventually.
Sad but true.