Packers vs Steelers Game Thread: Steel is hard Edition

Reaction score
Again, in a strange way I saw the next best thing to improvements + Win
Improvements plus a very close loss.

We all know this season isn’t going anywhere. It’s clean the books and evaluate players. Ti be honest if we truly looked at our top 5 DB’s today? maybe 1 would be starting on the average team. If we win with our backups and select #13 in the draft fine. If we lose close games left n right and draft at #5 or #7 etc. That’s very likely the best college player in the country at most positions on both O or D.

If I’m Gutey I’m looking very closely and studying the top 5 players not named QB. We’re likely to have a tough choice and that’s a good thing.

Another + confirmed.
Jets loss tonight

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We all know this season isn’t going anywhere. It’s clean the books and evaluate players. Ti be honest if we truly looked at our top 5 DB’s today? maybe 1 would be starting on the average team. If we win with our backups and select #13 in the draft fine. If we lose close games left n right and draft at #5 or #7 etc. That’s very likely the best college player in the country at most positions on both O or D.

If I’m Gutey I’m looking very closely and studying the top 5 players not named QB. We’re likely to have a tough choice and that’s a good thing.

Another + confirmed.
Jets loss tonight
5 very winnable games. Comes down to experience and coaching.

Reaction score
Besides which, we had a good chance of winning if the refs hadn't screwed us. I'm not usually a guy who complains about calls, but that directly cost us a touchdown.
Yeah I saw that. It probably stays as called either way, such as had they called it a backwards pass and turnover? I think it also stands.

Short term you’re probably right. Medium to Long term we need to find ways to Win games within our control and that needs to be our focus. Controlling what we control and accepting the things we can’t change.

205 Rushing yards allowed is just unacceptable. That should be 100% within our control.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides which, we had a good chance of winning if the refs hadn't screwed us. I'm not usually a guy who complains about calls, but that directly cost us a touchdown.
We did get screwed but that PAT hurts. If it is 3 points MLF plays the next to last series a little shorter. Maybe run the ball at the 15 one time. And then if we are tied it would have force the Steelers to put the ball in the air which could have been to our advantage.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
They can't seem to get out of their own way. Love seemed to put a full game together until the first interception he threw. Then there is the run defense. If I were Pittsburg I wouldn't have passed a single time in that game. More drops by the WRs and then the blocked FG. The Packers have to lead the league in blocked kicks/punts allowed the past 5 years. I can't figure out the lateral that they stuck with being incomplete. Everything I've looked at indicates the pass was backwards. It seems the story of this season. Now onto the Chargers, Lions, and Chiefs. It's going to be a tough go.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deguera didn't even block or attempt to block anyone..just stood there. I think he has done that more than once this season and contributed to a few of those blocks! This team can't run the ball consistently. They need a fullback!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deguera didn't even block or attempt to block anyone..just stood there. I think he has done that more than once this season and contributed to a few of those blocks! This team can't run the ball consistently. They need a fullback!

He's not gonna be here in the future for sure it seems, but watching that play multiple times, I swear it seems like he didn't realize the snap happened. I know MLF talked about how Rich had them install a different snap count or time on FGs as it seemed teams were timing them up....whatever it was Josiah I swear had no clue by the way he didn't move for a LONG time.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm probably one of the few Packer fans was fine with yesterdays game. I saw a lot of good things on offense to know that they are improving. I still say the defense has a lot of talent, but the coaching staff doesn't know how to get it out of them. Both Valentine and Ballentine had moments of good play in the secondary.

This team isn't a playoff team and won't be for awhile, so losing doesn't really bother me, as long as they keep improving. Plus, the loss inches us closer to that #1 draft spot in every round. :coffee:

Much like our draft positioning, I also would rather see the defense not all of a sudden play well and that keeps Barry around for another year. Unless of course, the turn around is here to stay.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm probably one of the few Packer fans was fine with yesterdays game. I saw a lot of good things on offense to know that they are improving. I still say the defense has a lot of talent, but the coaching staff doesn't know how to get it out of them. Both Valentine and Ballentine had moments of good play in the secondary.

This team isn't a playoff team and won't be for awhile, so losing doesn't really bother me, as long as they keep improving. Plus, the loss inches us closer to that #1 draft spot in every round. :coffee:
Yeah, I was happy with the game yesterday because I saw improvement. As you say, I don't expect them to make the playoffs anyway, so if we lose it just means a better draft pick. I did get to go to the game last week though, so I wanted them to win that one, and they came through.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt higher draft picks are better than lower ones but who really trusts Gute not to screw it up and reach for guys he could've gotten lower or take a player who's a project. Waiting for top picks to develop costs this team dearly in years of lost production plus those developmental years reduce a player's prime. As long as Gute is GM, I'm not sure the Packers "benefit" from losing games and drafting higher.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

5 very winnable games. Comes down to experience and coaching.
This year? Every game is winnable and every game is losable.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd much rather see a decent fullback on the field than 3 WR's or 2 rookie tight ends.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah, I was happy with the game yesterday because I saw improvement. As you say, I don't expect them to make the playoffs anyway, so if we lose it just means a better draft pick. I did get to go to the game last week though, so I wanted them to win that one, and they came through.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yup. I'll take the Packers with the spread against the Chiefs for sure!
You said win, not beat the spread. ;)

I did get a buddy of mine to lay $100 on the Steelers to cover the 3 point spread yesterday. Lucky for him, Deguara was "blocking" on that extra point.

Reaction score
This team isn't a playoff team and won't be for awhile, so losing doesn't really bother me, as long as they keep improving. Plus, the loss inches us closer to that #1 draft spot in every round.
Oh yeah. I’m beginning to really warm up to your past statement about a Top pick. Gutey has been very proficient in trading back and forth. He’s also very unpredictable. Would he take a QB? In all seriousness a #1 overall is almost like a bonus pick instead of near last in Rd1 we’d be 1st in Rd2. QB competition?
:cool:
No doubt higher draft picks are better than lower ones but who really trusts Gute not to screw it up and reach for guys he could've gotten lower or take a player who's a project. Waiting for top picks to develop costs this team dearly in years of lost production plus those developmental years reduce a player's prime. As long as Gute is GM, I'm not sure the Packers "benefit" from losing games and drafting higher.
I can reason with most of what you say. The only thing that I equated with here is sounding frustrated. :roflmao: If we saw everything with our eyes.. we wouldn’t need faith. Today I forced myself to rake leaves pushing a large bulk into the street. I told God I wasn’t in the mood but I’d work for him. As I was nearly finished I heard the City street sweeper. It’s a little joke between us as Gods done this to me before. God has a wonderful sense of humor btw. I quickly shredded them with my mower and then he perfectly coordinated them by buying me about 30 minutes and coming back around. That sweeper comes about 3X yearly btw that I know of.
Hang in there my friend…. Gods got good things a brewin’. !!

This year? Every game is winnable and every game is losable.
Ah Yes, but is every game Tieable? :whistling:

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't care about getting a top pick. I think it's better for this team, franchise and brand name (money) to get wins. We're going to have 3 picks in the top 50. That's enough to adequately increase the talent level on the team.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Four losses by a combined total of 11 points and right down to the wire. All part of the process gang. Next year they'll be winning these types of games.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 2024 we should have about $45M in cap space after cutting Bahk. This gives us the chance to make 2 big moves to fill any hole that is looking weak. If Love continues to progress, we get a new DC, we could have a fair shot next season and a strong contender for 2 or 3 more seasons.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I'm thinking if you got like a top five pick, maybe it would be hard to screw up. But then he would probably trade down for a couple of lower picks, that he would bungle - as long as we're being pessimistic.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Hey, don't get me wrong. I want them to win every game. I was on the edge of my seat wanting them to win Sunday. I want them to win 20 games a season. But I like to find silver linings in dark clouds, so if we lose I'll comfort myself with the idea of a higher draft pick. Especially in a season like this where realistically we're not a playoff team, and we're rebuilding.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hey, don't get me wrong. I want them to win every game. I was on the edge of my seat wanting them to win Sunday. I want them to win 20 games a season. But I like to find silver linings in dark clouds, so if we lose I'll comfort myself with the idea of a higher draft pick. Especially in a season like this where realistically we're not a playoff team, and we're rebuilding
Remember, it isn’t just ONE higher draft pick, it's six, one in each round. We gave up our 5th round pick in the Rasul Douglas trade.

Members online

Latest posts