Packers vs Broncos Game Thread: Mile High Rumble Edition

Old Guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t like the play calling.
We had 1 try for 10 yards minimum for the Win or 1 extra try for 20 yards for the win.

Instead we take our 10 yard try and throw it 35+ in a very low probability try? Someone needs to explain that to me, that doesn’t equate at all unless someone is WIDE OPEN

This is not grade school level ball here.
MLF hs been doing that on 3 and 10 for a long, long, time with little success. It is no surprise to teams, especially later in games. it's his MO.

Reaction score
You're confusing play-calling with QB decision-making. I highly doubt the play required him to throw downfield into tight coverage.
Understanding Field position and the Clock is paramount and its paramount the Coach had Jordan’s ear. The 2 deep approach drew Denver’s DB’s deeper and they probably didn’t even realize our Kicker has 60 yards distance now. Working it 17 yards backwards for “Teams” means you need to achieve the ~Denver43 (11 yards) to adequately give or take for a 50% Probability type Kick. Anything past the Denver40 is a 55-60% try.

We didn’t need 20 yards. Yes it would be nice, but not necessary. We NEEDED ~12 yards. We also needed to stay in bounds to force Denver’s last Timeout. Even scoring an immediate TD best case left Denver 1:35 and a Timeout. Not good because it’s still not a Win.
Recall the last Denver Drive in half 1

The better case was go for the higher probability choice of moving the chains OR falling short and kicking a go ahead FG. If we make 11 yards we Kick a FG. If we make 15+ yards (4th n 5 or less) We go for a 1st down because it’s their throat as the clock would wind while we’re kicking a FG with 3-4 sec and there’s nothing they could do except ice our Kicker with their final TO. It’s about clock and Field position

It’s obvious that Jordan didn’t understand that and yes it 188% Matt’s responsibility to get that message across clearly on 1 crucial play. Including the clear message to his players to stay in bounds. Even if he had to burn a timeout to ensure that.
That message didn’t get passed on and I can tell by the total lack of awareness of the Wide Open check down good for 10+. I can also tell because they only reason he should go past 30 yards is if a player is wide open, which he clearly was not imo.

So what you’re telling me in between the lines is that Jordan ignored a direct order from our Coach by ignoring a highly probable 10+ play there. I don’t believe that. I believe our Coach failed to impress that on his young QB. That’s my opinion but if you’re expecting a novice QB figure it out by himself real time you fall into Dud category with Matt
Lol
Just having fun

PS. Matt did NOT do Jordan any favors on that last play. He should know his own play design that’s why he’s called a coach.

Double PS. On a long ball Never throw it short with down to go (only on the last play which is opposite) Ever never ever Either hit him or lean overthrow

Last edited:

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Understanding Field position and the Clock is paramount and its paramount the Coach had Jordan’s ear. The 2 deep approach drew Denver’s DB’s deeper and they probably didn’t even realize our Kicker has 60 yards distance now...
Not going to quote the entire 100 lines of text. But you're talking about coaching here, not play-calling. There was nothing wrong with the call. You can clearly see that Dillon was wide open for at least a 10-15 yard gain. So the play that was called was sound. It was Love's decision on the play that was the problem.

thehitman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody's going anywhere unfortunately. Remember McPancake and "The Wig" that sheeet went on for years! All is well in Packerland as always. Howdy Doody just cares about Lambeau Field being the Disney of the North!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably because we didn't look bad the first few games. Then the wheels fell off.
We lost 3 close games that we should have won and won 1 close one we should have lost. With that said all 4 games were against very sub par teams who could finish with losing records as well. What are the scores when we face the big boys?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who could have imagined that an OC for a bad offense in Tennessee where the gameplan consisted of "hand the ball off to Derrick Henry" wouldn't run an innovative and successful offense in Green Bay?

So Henry was one of the main weapons of that offense, but it was a far cry from just hand to Henry and go. Example in 2018 that team had 454 rushing attempts...Henry was 47% of them with Dion Lewis getting the second most at 34%. *This was the only year he was OC...2017 and prior year it was Terry Robiskie

That 2018 team had Mariota as the QB for 13 games and Gabbert for 3....still managed to go 9-7

2017 Henry was barely the leading rusher with 744 and wasn't even the starter, Demarco Murray was who rushed for 659 yards...Henry accounted for 39.7% of the rushing attempts with 41.5% going to Murray.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not going to quote the entire 100 lines of text. But you're talking about coaching here, not play-calling. There was nothing wrong with the call. You can clearly see that Dillon was wide open for at least a 10-15 yard gain. So the play that was called was sound. It was Love's decision on the play that was the problem.
I believe Love adheres too much to the first read
The killed them already. It was a regular crime scene ... FOX dumped that game right after halftime... I was enjoying it too.
I have to praise John Harbaugh. The Ravens were so prepared. They entire team was executing. Were it not for the fumble it is 35-0 at half.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Henry was one of the main weapons of that offense, but it was a far cry from just hand to Henry and go. Example in 2018 that team had 454 rushing attempts...Henry was 47% of them with Dion Lewis getting the second most at 34%. *This was the only year he was OC...2017 and prior year it was Terry Robiskie

That 2018 team had Mariota as the QB for 13 games and Gabbert for 3....still managed to go 9-7

2017 Henry was barely the leading rusher with 744 and wasn't even the starter, Demarco Murray was who rushed for 659 yards...Henry accounted for 39.7% of the rushing attempts with 41.5% going to Murray.
Thanks Captain, I mean Tyni.

jdizz81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The most exciting point in this game was when myers went out and Tom played center with yosh on right side. I think that’s our best 5 o linemen right now and Tom could be a pro bowl center imo. It’s literally the only time I felt like I had something to cheer about I know it’s harsh to wish injury on anyone but it’s how I felt at the time

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The 2018 Titans went 9-7 because they had a top 3 defense, which as OC had nothing to do with Matt Lafleur.

And pointing out that he had a generational talent like Derrick Henry splitting carries with the likes of a 29 year old Demarco Murray and Dion Lewis isn't going to make anyone feel better about the possibility that MLF is in over his head trying to run an NFL offense.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2018 Titans went 9-7 because they had a top 3 defense, which as OC had nothing to do with Matt Lafleur.

And pointing out that he had a generational talent like Derrick Henry splitting carries with the likes of a 29 year old Demarco Murray and Dion Lewis isn't going to make anyone feel better about the possibility that MLF is in over his head trying to run an NFL offense.

Okay, you clearly stated that MLF just handed it off to Henry - was merely indicating that was categorically false.

Look I've said about a dozen times this year it is like MLF is drunk in the first half of games with his conservative BS playcalling...then second half he and Love are like an entirely different duo - especially in the third quarter where they continue to just light it up from every single perspective; scoring, efficiency, completion percentage and such.....yet the first half pure trash and fourth quarters have been a coin toss. But just being frustrated or unhappy or even in the camp that MLF is terrible doesn't make the claim the offense was hand to Henry so blindly...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@adambr2 also just for discussion sake, yes the Titans defense was surprisingly good at BENDING severely without breaking.

Yards against they were only better than 7 teams as they ranked 25th
Yards per play they were one notch worse at 26th
Passing Yards against they were 27th
Rushing Defense they were 15th
Not incredibly good at creating turnovers either suprisingly with 22nd ranking in number of drives they forced a turnover on.
BUT they were incredible again at points given up - ranked 3rd despite all of thee above.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides the Bears game, when was the last time this team scored 30 or more pts? Early last season? This team has averaged 17 pts a game for a long time. Something needs to CHANGE!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides the Bears game, when was the last time this team scored 30 or more pts? Early last season? This team has averaged 17 pts a game for a long time. Something needs to CHANGE!

This isn't true. I shared average points per game in the Denver game thread - we shockingly are one of the better scoring teams. I'll insert it here again, going into the game:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

And we are one of the most prolific scoring teams in the 3rd quarter....best in the last three weeks and second overall.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, you clearly stated that MLF just handed it off to Henry - was merely indicating that was categorically false.

Look I've said about a dozen times this year it is like MLF is drunk in the first half of games with his conservative BS playcalling...then second half he and Love are like an entirely different duo - especially in the third quarter where they continue to just light it up from every single perspective; scoring, efficiency, completion percentage and such.....yet the first half pure trash and fourth quarters have been a coin toss. But just being frustrated or unhappy or even in the camp that MLF is terrible doesn't make the claim the offense was hand to Henry so blindly...
Or maybe you have it backwards. MLF starts out sober then gets liquored up at halftime and opens up the offense.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isn't true. I shared average points per game in the Denver game thread - we shockingly are one of the better scoring teams. I'll insert it here again, going into the game:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

And we are one of the most prolific scoring teams in the 3rd quarter....best in the last three weeks and second overall.
I find that hard to believe..but I guess it is possible..still not a very good offense though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find that hard to believe..but I guess it is possible..still not a very good offense though.

It’s actually a very very good offense in the 3rd quarter, and a good one in second half.

Very very poor in first half.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couldn't get that game (*#$&! stupid regional coverage), but I did see that final throw... WTF WAS Love thinking!!?? Watching the "highlights" of that game just cemented that not only is he not the guy (I honestly was getting some DK vibes on some throws) but I am starting to think that most of the coaching staff and the folks who hired them need to be fired at the least. What are we doing in the first half? Against the all world defense that Denver puts out there? AJ Dillon was our leading receiver... with 34 yards?! Am I reading this right? This is what they present, after a bye?

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The choice of throw wasn’t the issue he under threw that a TON. Yes hitting Dillon and getting half or fifteen if needed in hindsight may have been better but he just poorly threw that ball.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts