Packers vs Giants Game Thread: Monday Night Raw Football Edition

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If Reed is too predictable running then someone shouldve told NY. They allowed Reed 4 rushes for 36 yards and a TD. Take out his long and TD run, you still get 3 Rushes for 18 yards ( 6 per) Truthfully looking back, I might’ve tried that 4 more times.
I might be wrong on this. However, I think Reed's first 2 carries went for 20 and 16 (TD). His next 2 runs went for maybe a 1 yard gain and a 1 yard loss. While yes, the play was effective twice, the defense seemed to be ready for it after that and shut it down quickly. MLF needs to use that play only a few times a game.

Not sure how durable Reed is, but I would prefer seeing him getting hit less that close to the LOS, by bigger players.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has to be genetics (his brother). As you say, his college stats leave you scratching your head for a draftee -

He's 9/9 on FG from 30-39. Maybe they can rush him out for the XP and convince him it's really a 33 FG attempt?

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even on Carlson's first 2 made FGs against the Giants, they were close to being missed - both of them were just inside the upright.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He does have a tendency to hook the ball to the left. Tbe longer the kick the more of a hook.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Reed is too predictable running then someone shouldve told NY. They allowed Reed 4 rushes for 36 yards and a TD. Take out his long and TD run, you still get 3 Rushes for 18 yards ( 6 per) Truthfully looking back, I might’ve tried that 4 more times.
Those stats do not include the failed 2 pt. conversion. Speaking for myself, I like the play, it has been successful for the most part but not 5 times a game. IMO each time you try it after the initial play the chances of success go down. In order, 16 yard TD, 3 yd. gain, 20 yard gain, 1 yard loss and a failed 2 pt. try. Maybe someone just waited until the 4th quarter to tell NY.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has to be genetics (his brother). As you say, his college stats leave you scratching your head for a draftee -

He's 9/9 on FG from 30-39. Maybe they can rush him out for the XP and convince him it's really a 33 FG attempt?
When this season started I didn't have high expectations for GB. A bunch of young guys with little experience I figured if they could finish close to a 500 season that would be good enough
Then they went thru that awful string of losses which didn't give me much hope, but I distinctly remember Love saying during interviews, we are right there, we are this close.
Then they made a leap up a level with 3 straight wins vs some good teams.
Even though the giant loss leaves a bad taste I am now looking at it as more of a breather for them, a respite before making their final run thru the remaining games.. They are still in good shape as far as making the playoffs so maybe this loss will act as a reminder to them that they don't have it all figured out yet.
A loss like that keeps you humble, Keeps you from becoming arrogant and thinking that all you have to do is show up because that's when you end up getting a butt whuppin from a very bad team.
So I'm ok with where they are. Now it's up to them to make it happen.
And finally I do hope Carlson proves me wrong as I feel he is a critical piece to this whole thing.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those stats do not include the failed 2 pt. conversion. Speaking for myself, I like the play, it has been successful for the most part but not 5 times a game. IMO each time you try it after the initial play the chances of success go down. In order, 16 yard TD, 3 yd. gain, 20 yard gain, 1 yard loss and a failed 2 pt. try. Maybe someone just waited until the 4th quarter to tell NY.
I think Reed got hurt on that two point play and Watson has been hurt at least twice. Not sure it is worth it. Certainly not with Watson running it. And, of course, LaFleur runs the play too much.

Reaction score
Ok and Maybe you’re on to something. Why not do that play (2pt) and give him 2 basic level options to throw it into the paint, unless he’s not covered up and can walk in.
We’re talking a 5-10 yard toss here. I can throw it that far with some accuracy.

Get teams thinking reverse and let them over commit. Roll Kraft and Dillon off a chip block.

I agree with the predictability aspect

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When this season started I didn't have high expectations for GB. A bunch of young guys with little experience I figured if they could finish close to a 500 season that would be good enough
Then they went thru that awful string of losses which didn't give me much hope, but I distinctly remember Love saying during interviews, we are right there, we are this close.
Then they made a leap up a level with 3 straight wins vs some good teams.
Even though the giant loss leaves a bad taste I am now looking at it as more of a breather for them, a respite before making their final run thru the remaining games.. They are still in good shape as far as making the playoffs so maybe this loss will act as a reminder to them that they don't have it all figured out yet.
A loss like that keeps you humble, Keeps you from becoming arrogant and thinking that all you have to do is show up because that's when you end up getting a butt whuppin from a very bad team.
So I'm ok with where they are. Now it's up to them to make it happen.
And finally I do hope Carlson proves me wrong as I feel he is a critical piece to this whole thing.
After just reading about all the injuries the packers have on offense it's now more than ever that we Carlson to come thru on every opportunity he has.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Very true, but Carlson can directly add points to a game that we have been missing out on to this point.
This is a critical stretch of games coming up. He needs to improve.
While everyone wants their FG kicker to be 100% perfect, it isn't reality. Kickers are going to miss their kicks, for a number of reasons.

Carlson is a rookie and he hasn't missed a FG under 40 yards (14 of 14). His misses have all come from 40+, with 1 of them from 60+

40-49: 4 of 7
50-59: 2 of 3
60+: 0 of 1

I have actually been pretty happy with Carslon and think he is a kicker that will be around for awhile. I actually think MLF and the offense could do a lot better when it comes to setting him up. I can think of at least 2 times that they ran negative yardage plays on 3rd and long, from outside the opponents 30. That should not happen. Sometimes you have to settle for FG's and pushing your kicker back another 10 or so yards, isn't something you want to do.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While everyone wants their FG kicker to be 100% perfect, it isn't reality. Kickers are going to miss their kicks, for a number of reasons.

Carlson is a rookie and he hasn't missed a FG under 40 yards (14 of 14). His misses have all come from 40+, with 1 of them from 60+

40-49: 4 of 7
50-59: 2 of 3
60+: 0 of 1

I have actually been pretty happy with Carslon and think he is a kicker that will be around for awhile. I actually think MLF and the offense could do a lot better when it comes to setting him up. I can think of at least 2 times that they ran negative yardage plays on 3rd and long, from outside the opponents 30. That should not happen. Sometimes you have to settle for FG's and pushing your kicker back another 10 or so yards, isn't something you want to do.
I'm sure every team in the league has had to try long FGs at some point.
Carson currently ranks 20th on FGs and last on PATs.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm sure every team in the league has had to try long FGs at some point.
Carson currently ranks 20th on FGs and last on PATs.
Again, I am not alarmed by how Carlson has played in his rookie season. That includes kickoffs as well. When you start calling out XP stats and see how one miss or make, effects your "ranking", you aren't looking at the big picture. Carlson might be the one who's name is listed in the stats, but there are 10 other guys on the field with him and there have been times when they didn't do their jobs either.

In no way do I think Carlson has been a GREAT kicker this season, but give him time, I think he has a long career ahead of him.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, I am not alarmed by how Carlson has played in his rookie season. That includes kickoffs as well. When you start calling out XP stats and see how one miss or make, effects your "ranking", you aren't looking at the big picture. Carlson might be the one who's name is listed in the stats, but there are 10 other guys on the field with him and there have been times when they didn't do their jobs either.

In no way do I think Carlson has been a GREAT kicker this season, but give him time, I think he has a long career ahead of him.
I hear you. I know it seems like I'm picking on Carlson, and you may be right as far as improving over time but his college stats indicate differently. He was a 72% FG kicker at auburn. Not a number that gives me much hope.
Anyway GB has been in several close games and I see more of the same coming so we need every point we can get and Carlson is part of that group of players that can deliver points so I hope you are right about impovement.

Reaction score
After just reading about all the injuries the packers have on offense it's now more than ever that we Carlson to come thru on every opportunity he has.
True. We always need him. Points are the name of the game

It’s not that bad
Looks like #33 is back

Also Wicks avoided a bad sprain he’s practicing and I’m guessing probable

Outside chance Dillon plays, but if Jones is out there I’m comfortable without both

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True. We always need him. Points are the name of the game

It’s not that bad
Looks like #33 is back

Also Wicks avoided a bad sprain he’s practicing and I’m guessing probable

Outside chance Dillon plays, but if Jones is out there I’m comfortable without both
Wow...if Jones is going to play that would certainly help the offense quite a bit. Especially since I read Dillon has a broken thumb but haven't heard if he's out or not.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On kicking in the Giants game? It was a tough wind to deal with, even though it might not have appeared to be. It hurt Love's passing, because balls were sailing on him. The same was true of the Giants, except they had an alternate plan, to keep the ball lower, on shorter routes. As for the Carlson miss? It was nearly 50 yards, and should have been 10 yards shorter, except Love didn't throw the ball away. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, it's on both of them, and even on the coaches that called the 3rd down play that got Love sacked.

Reaction score

I think it’s still fair to say he’ll be fine. I mean he’s at 80% FG which if we recall Crosby often ran in the low to middle 80% range. It’s not that bad really, although I resemble others who have said I cringe on XPA.
I think what’s embellishing Carlson missing is more our games have been very close in score.
5 of our 7 losses have been between 1-4 points, so a missed XPA or FG is magnified imo

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On kicking in the Giants game? It was a tough wind to deal with, even though it might not have appeared to be. It hurt Love's passing, because balls were sailing on him. The same was true of the Giants, except they had an alternate plan, to keep the ball lower, on shorter routes. As for the Carlson miss? It was nearly 50 yards, and should have been 10 yards shorter, except Love didn't throw the ball away. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, it's on both of them, and even on the coaches that called the 3rd down play that got Love sacked.
Good point about the FG and the additional lost 10 yds in the giant game but Love did the right thing by taking a sack, well almost the right thing. Love was told if the play is not there do not throw the ball away because the clock Will stop. Better to take a sack and keep the clock running. What derailed that idea was Love droping straight back and not leaving enough room for him to get away a bit before getting tackled and giving up those 10 yds. He has enough speed to avoid defenders so that was on him.

Reaction score
Good point about the FG and the additional lost 10 yds in the giant game but Love did the right thing by taking a sack, well almost the right thing. Love was told if the play is not there do not throw the ball away because the clock Will stop. Better to take a sack and keep the clock running. What derailed that idea was Love droping straight back and not leaving enough room for him to get away a bit before getting tackled and giving up those 10 yds. He has enough speed to avoid defenders so that was on him.
Never smart taking a big -minus play in colder weather though.

I would agree on giving them a pass had this been some rare thing I’d Really that Field position is something I’ve Harped on across the MLF era. We get inside that opponent 35-30 area and then get aggressive on 3rd n long and take a big negative. Rodgers would do that also pretty regular. Just do the draw play and live to see easier points there. Make her a 16-21 game with 5:30 and timeouts. That’s lots of time. As an example we had the ball back :90 sec later.

Last edited:

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
U
Never smart taking a big -minus play in colder weather though.

I would agree on giving them a pass had this been some rare thing I’d Really that Field position is something I’ve Harped on across the MLF era. We get inside that opponent 35-30 area and then get aggressive on 3rd n long and take a big negative. Rodgers would do that also. Just do the draw play and live to see easier points there. If we pick up +3 and align the ball properly? That Kick is 13 yards shorter and 90%+ chance 3 points. We have to Remember that even IF we pick up the 1st? It’s still not guaranteed 7 points.

There are a few exceptions on game flow such as if it’s a high scoring game etc or we’re down 3 scores etc. In a lower score 3 points is near-critical. Heck an XPA is critical.
Well as I said if love could have at least gotten back to line of LOS before getting tackled a lot of time would have been run off.
Otherwise I agree with everything you said. In a game like that if you are in FG range run a safe play on 3rd/long And then get your points.
As you said every point is critical which also makes my point about Carlson, he needs to improve. We need him to be more consistent,especially on those PATs

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As you said every point is critical which also makes my point about Carlson, he needs to improve. We need him to be more consistent,especially on those PATs
Again, I see your point and agree that Carlson needs to improve, but that goes for most of the players and coaches as well. I can't remember who, but someone pointed to Carlson's miss as the reason we lost the Giants game. No, we lost because it was a terrible effort by most of the team, as well as the coaching staff. Erase a lot of the individual mistakes and Carlson's missed FG doesn't matter.

Members online

Latest posts