GBowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do we continue to endure more McCarthyesq type playoff successes? Bad teams, such as the Bears complain they never make the playoffs. Is it any better losing in them every time we go? 2 Super Bowl wins in the past 30 years with 2 HOF qb’s. Continuing to say “next year” gets old after awhile.
I agree. I get sick of listening to MLF giving the other teams all the credit when he loses. That’s not the sign of a winner imo. I’m so tired of losing to them I’m pissed, not giving them credit. I listened to Shanahan and he sure wasn’t singing our praises for playing them tough. Matt is too soft as far as I’m concerned. Sad part is Love is saying the same thing in his conferences. What good is making the playoffs if you’re accepting losses every year? I have a feeling Dan Campbell would’ve destroyed the podium after a game like this. That’s the kind of determination I want to see. Lombardi style.

Reaction score
One problem is Aaron Jones has been a big strength for us, and we don't know if he'll be here next year, and can we replace him?
I think we can and should rework his deal across 3 years with an “contract out” after 2 years under $5mil sunk.
His contract is ugly, especially now, but not so much if we keep him 2 seasons and swallow a more modest $4-5mil sunk once he’s gone, which looks far better than the current -$12.35Mil dead $$ to walk away.

I also think he’ll shave off a few million to stay 2yrs instead of 1yr. I would if I were him. That or a post June trade, but we’re definitely not getting better than Aaron Jones in the short term.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I get sick of listening to MLF giving the other teams all the credit when he loses. That’s not the sign of a winner imo. I’m so tired of losing to them I’m pissed, not giving them credit. I listened to Shanahan and he sure wasn’t singing our praises for playing them tough
Yeah, I'm tired of MLF being outcoached by Shanahan. I remember when the Cowboys were our big obstacle (back when we had Favre), Carolina beat them the year we won the Super Bowl so they weren't in our way. We probably would have beat them that year, but you never know.

Anyway, good season, good experience points for Love, but damn I'm sick of losing to the 49ers. Hope Gute can have another great draft next year.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love won't be getting 40 a year. He will get a lot more. Gute gave Alexander and Gary huge money. Love's contract be much bigger and will eat nearly a 1/4 of the salary cap.
Well, so much for the advantages of having a young quarterback.

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love won't be getting 40 a year. He will get a lot more. Gute gave Alexander and Gary huge money. Love's contract be much bigger and will eat nearly a 1/4 of the salary cap.
Not a snowballs chance in hell, he'll take up 1/4.. Stop.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Top 5 qb's are getting over 50 million per year. Just look at what the Chargers are giving Herbert what Joe Burrow is making. Burrow got 275 million for 5 years- That works out to 55 million per year. The salary cap is around 225 million. The going rate for the top qb's is nearly 25% of the cap. Rodgers was sucking up nearly 23% of the cap.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The money for qb's goes up every year but so does the cap. Don't be surprised if somebody exceeds 60 million soon. If Love doesn't break 60, he'll very likely make more than 50. It will soak up much of the salary cap.

ctfxcwatcher

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys, I don't think we are going to win a Superbowl under MLF. There are just certain characteristics that I think he lacks. Small things that he ignores in the regular season that becomes a huge liability in the post season. This is year 5 and yes I know he gets a pass because it's technically a rebuilding year since our HOF QB is gone but how much longer are we willing to give MLF to win a Superbowl? It took McCarthy & Holmgren within 5 years to win us a Superbowl. Like I said I know he gets a few more passes but how much longer? 3-4 more years? These 5 years sure did fly by fast and nothing really to show for it but some pretty common playoff chokes.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It gets even worse after a win. The hype after the Cowboys game was ridiculous. You'd of thought the Packers had won the SB when what they did was set themselves up for MLF getting outcoached by Shanahan.
No it doesn't. The Cowboys game sure provided fans hope that we possibly could play the 49ers tough. And we did. We gave them all they can handle and then some.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys, I don't think we are going to win a Superbowl under MLF. There are just certain characteristics that I think he lacks. Small things that he ignores in the regular season that becomes a huge liability in the post season. This is year 5 and yes I know he gets a pass because it's technically a rebuilding year since our HOF QB is gone but how much longer are we willing to give MLF to win a Superbowl? It took McCarthy & Holmgren within 5 years to win us a Superbowl. Like I said I know he gets a few more passes but how much longer? 3-4 more years? These 5 years sure did fly by fast and nothing really to show for it but some pretty common playoff chokes.
MLF has been bitten by special teams too often. Perhaps he thinks his offense can overcome a bad defense and special teams. I agree with you that he chokes in big games. I think he should get one more year to show if he can finally learn a few lessons or remain stubborn to the detriment of the team. I'm not confident in his ability to learn from his mistakes but I don't see either MM or Gute firing MLF because they would have to admit they screwed up.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No it doesn't. The Cowboys game sure provided fans hope that we possibly could play the 49ers tough. And we did. We gave them all they can handle and then some.
I think it's easy to point to a lot of ways MLF got outcoached again by Shanahan. The Cowboy win was great but like Ron Wolf said, "it's just another fart in the wind" if your goal every season is to win a championship. Choking against the 9ers takes a lot of luster off the Cowboys win.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For some reason I can't get on this on my phone. Computer is better for some dumb reason. I don't comment a lot because to be honest it can be a **** show, but I know we are all die-hards.. That being said, What we witnessed was one hell of a football game. Honestly, one of the greatest I've ever seen, being lucky enough to be alive, and a fan of this storied franchise. Critique this and dissect this all day. Not one person here could say in training camp this team would accomplish what it did this year. I told the wife all-night; this game gave me 2009 GB/AZ vibes.

Our kicker needs to go... Maybe its an emotional statement, but he's not his brother.. Jordan Love made some mistakes, 3 throws that changed the game, and he'll learn from this. I'm sure him and 12 had a nice dinner and talked, and im sure he'll talk to him again. I'm very much looking forward to what contract they offer Love, build from this over this over expected season, and how they are a player in free agency...
Which is the 3rd throw? I thought it was when he missed Jones coming short across the middle for a first down.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lot of parallels between Rodgers and Love last night. Either they play nearly perfect or the team loses. Love made several amazing plays last night but he also made several poor throws that were costly. I don't blame Love for the loss as much as Carlson, the O line, poor coaching and dropping an interception as bigger contributions to the choke. If the team and coaching around him had been better, the Packers could've won the game despite Love not being at the top of his game.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, that one stings a little more than I thought it would.

Going into the game I was feeling pretty relaxed as we’d already done far better/far more than I had expected. Anything further was just a bonus and to be honest I expected SF to beat us handily. Heading into the game I’d have counted it as a win for us to even have kept it close/respectable.

And that is still true to some degree… but expectations also change. That was a totally winnable game and we had more than enough opportunities to take it for ourselves. In fact I’d go so far as to say that we outplayed them for the majority of the game. So even though I went into the game with low expectations… it’s awfully disappointing to have come up short again. Feels more like we lost it than that they won it.

Doubly a bummer as if we were to look ahead and get into the NFCCG I would’ve really liked our odds vs either one of Detroit/Tampa.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, that one stings a little more than I thought it would.

Going into the game I was feeling pretty relaxed as we’d already done far better/far more than I had expected. Anything further was just a bonus and to be honest I expected SF to beat us handily. Heading into the game I’d have counted it as a win for us to even have kept it close/respectable.

And that is still true to some degree… but expectations also change. That was a totally winnable game and we had more than enough opportunities to take it for ourselves. In fact I’d go so far as to say that we outplayed them for the majority of the game. So even though I went into the game with low expectations… it’s awfully disappointing to have come up short again. Feels more like we lost it than that they won it.

Doubly a bummer as if we were to look ahead and get into the NFCCG I would’ve really liked our odds vs either one of Detroit/Tampa.
Yeah, we really blew a great opportunity at a Super Bowl last night. Sure we're a young team and the future looks bright, but you really have to take advantage of those opportunities when you have them, because they might not come around as often as you think. You never know what will happen next year - maybe an injury that derails the season or who knows what.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That'd be the Vikings, Bears, and (until today) Lions...
Is that restricted to just the NFL? The Crew would rank up there with the a short list of the most incompetent franchises. They have nothing in their trophy case, just like the Vikings. While I'm not a big NHL fan, the Toronto Maple Leafs have been utterly pathetic for nearly the past 60 years.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our division, whether it be the Central or the NFC North or whatever else, seems to have underachieved except for us. Although the Bears supposedly have the "greatest team of all time" according to many. In some ways I like that our division has underachieved, and in other ways I have some mixed feelings about it. If the Packers had about five more Lombardis that would even things out.

It's often said we've underachieved in the past 30 years, with two HOF quarterbacks and "only" two Super Bowls.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I love to see the Bears and Vikings lose, I think playing in a tough division normally prepares a team better for the playoffs. I think one of the reasons why the NFC north has been so bad is that the division hasn't been very strong for quite a long time. There was time when the NFC east was a powerhouse and it seemed like NY, Dallas and Washington took turns winning the SB. The exception to that rule was the Patriots in the weak AFC east.

DigRun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is that restricted to just the NFL? The Crew would rank up there with the a short list of the most incompetent franchises. They have nothing in their trophy case, just like the Vikings. While I'm not a big NHL fan, the Toronto Maple Leafs have been utterly pathetic for nearly the past 60 years.
Yea, I was just thinking on pro football since at the time Big L posted he (and all of us Packer fans) were freshly dealing with another "close but no cigar" playoff moment. I totally get the frustration and the apparently-glaring discrepancy between the many years of high-level team/QB performance but only 2 SB wins for us. The Queens have dust in their case, the Bears NADA since that admittedly amazing '85 team 35+ years ago, and the Lions zip since the '57 NFL championship. I think about 26-28 NFL teams would be good with trading places with us since the late 80's (if we could "dismiss" the Linde Infante years at the start of that window save for the "Majik" '89 season).

Our day is coming, and when it finally arrives it will be sweet Big L!

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Queens have dust in their case, the Bears NADA since that admittedly amazing '85 team 35+ years ago, and the Lions zip since the '57 NFL championship. I think about 26-28 NFL teams would be good with trading places with us since the late 80's
Since the '87 season, 11 other teams have as many, or more trophies than the Pack (with four more having one). If you're NOT talking about SB wins, let me know.

Members online

Latest posts