Packers' Underwood charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
With the addition of House and the fact that Shields and Lee were above him on the depth chart last season, Underwood will be fighting an uphill battle to make the roster just regarding on-the-field issues. Giving the Packers another reason to release him...

He's young and immature. For his sake I hope he matures quickly, whether or not he's a Packer.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he was any good you might hear an argument from me for keeping him, but he isnt, so goodbye

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know there aren't too many teams that strive to keep good people on their roster as much as we do, or in our case Packer people. But do you guys think fans of other teams respond the same way we do when hearing things like this about players on their teams? It seems like we are pretty quick to assume the player won't be back next season or even more so SUGGEST that we kick him off because we don't like that kind of player on the team. I wonder if the average fan of another team tends to think "we don't want that kind of player on our team anyway" or just "well I hope this doesn't mean he can't play...".

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
One thing a team needs to look into. Any team and not just the Packers, etc. But they need to look for players that are quality and character guys. Not guys that will be a disturbance or a red flag off the field. Like it or not, it should be a #1 priority.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
One thing a team needs to look into. Any team and not just the Packers, etc. But they need to look for players that are quality and character guys. Not guys that will be a disturbance or a red flag off the field. Like it or not, it should be a #1 priority.
It can be near the top of the list but IMO the #1 priority has to be talent. For example, if a GM overemphasized character he may not have pursued Charles Woodson. Woodson’s behavior since he arrived in Green Bay makes it easy to forget he was considered somewhat of a character risk before Thompson signed him. It was mostly injury worriies that left only two teams seriously interested in his services relatively late in the signing period for stud FAs. But he was considered a potential problem in the locker room too.

I know there aren't too many teams that strive to keep good people on their roster as much as we do, or in our case Packer people. But do you guys think fans of other teams respond the same way we do when hearing things like this about players on their teams?
I agree Thompson and McCarthy emphasize character more than many other NFL teams and I think they pay attention to the atmosphere of the locker room more than most, too. But whenever I hear “Packer people” I think of Johnny Jolly. That’s the “Packer person” who can’t quite stay away from illegal drugs. Even with his career on the line. He’s the one Thompson, McCarthy and everyone else in the front office knew was doing drugs and hanging out with criminals in July of 2008. The one some in the Houston police department thought was dealing drugs. And in spite of this public display of bad character, Jolly started 32 regular season games after being arrested. And that happened because the bottom line has to be talent. A team needs more than talent, but talented players are a prerequisite to winning championships. That’s why Thompson took a flier on Jolly in the sixth round of the 2006 draft with pick #183 (after Tony Moll and right before Tyrone Culver). Because Jolly was big and athletic and worth the risk.I believe Thompson and company do the best they can acquiring “good” people, but like Ted says,The good Lord only makes so many of those big, athletic guys”, and he’s absolutely right. So the Packers, just like nearly every other team in the league, will give a talented player more chances to reform than they give marginal players. I have trouble reconciling that with “Packer people” as it appears some fans understand the term.

With regard to fans, I don’t think Packers fans are unique in their attitudes towards player who get in trouble.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
An update on the situation from Greg Bedard via PFT

While the wife of Packers cornerback Brandon Underwood has done her best to cover for her husband after a recent domestic disturbance, it’s quite possible the incident will end Underwood’s tumultuous run in Green Bay.

Greg A. Bedard of the Boston Globe writes that Underwood “should be in his final days as a Packer.” The former Packers beat writer believes that coach Mike McCarthy’s stated goal to only have “Packer People” of high character on the roster should make the decision easy.

“Underwood, like [Johnny] Jolly, should never play for the Packers again. Or the phrase ‘Packer people’ is worth about as much as the paper it was printed on,” Bedard writes.

Considering Underwood’s relatively minor role at a deep position for the Packers, getting rid of him shouldn’t be too painful.