Packers OL Types

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
NOTE: with the following I am not making an argument for what GB SHOULD do, but merely what they have done and therefore what they are most likely to do moving forward. If this process eliminates a guy you like and you still think they will or should take him, more power to you.

It's very well-known among Packer fans that the FO in Green Bay has a lot of specific thresholds for various positions that they tend to stick to. Some fans hate this-- I tend to love it; I think it's great to have an identity and to stick with it as it's bringing you lots of success.

So I'm not breaking any news here regarding OL thresholds, but I wanted to get more specific. So I pulled metrics on every OL drafted back to 2012 (which is when Gutekunst got promoted to scouting director). It's an 18 player sample. I looked at round, college position, height, weight, arm length, and agilities. Here's what I found:

-GB has only drafted 4 OL on day 2 and 0 OL in the first round over that time span.

-Of the 18 players, 13 were tackles in college, 4 were centers, and only 1 was a guards (Stepaniak-- a 6th rounder).

-Only two players were truly 6'6" or taller, both 7th round picks (Andrew Datko and Trent Murphy); others have been listed at 6'6" (Spriggs, Walker), but were actually 6' 5.5". So only two 6'6"+ and one 6'3" (Linsley)-- all other players were 6'4"+ and under 6'6".

-The heaviest player taken was Sean Rhyan (321) and the lightest was Corey Linsley (296). Otherwise, every pick was in a pretty tight span-- 299-315.

-Every player in the sample has arms of 32"+.

-The highest 3C time was 7.91 (Royce Newman); only two were 7.80+.

-The highest SS time was 4.88 (Cole Madison); only two were 4.80+.

So if you want to identify likely Packer OL picks, you need to look primarily at tackles, maybe at centers, and almost certainly not college guards. You want to find guys who are at least 6'4" but not 6'6" or taller. You want to find guys in the range of 300-315 lbs. You want 32"+ arms. You want a cone under 7.80 and a shuttle under 4.80. As to the latter, less and less players are doing agilities every year. I've starred the guys below who actually did one or both. But for the most part, this list is composed of players who hit all the other marks and don't have agilities.

Packer Types in this Class:

-Graham Barton, Duke
-Troy Fautanu, Washington
-Jordan Morgan, Arizona
-Blake Fisher, Notre Dame*
-Hunter Nourzad, Penn State
-Caeden Wallace, Penn State
-Dominick Puni, Kansas*
-Javon Foster, Missouri
-Sautaoa Laumea, Utah
-Delmar Glaze, Mayland
-Roger Rosengarten, Washington*
-Tylan Grable, Central Florida
-Nick Samac, Michigan State
-Nick Gargiulo, South Carolina*
-Jalen Sundell, North Dakota State
-Matt Lee, Miami
-L. Henderson, Michigan

That's the whole list. More guys could be added to it via the pro day circuit, but they will be non-combine invite guys (so mostly UDFA types). And some guys will drop off as they do agilities that may be disqualifying. Not a super long list!

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you. That is a ton of work you put in. It has me wondering, did Zak Zinter not make the list because he is IOL or did he not clear the thresholds? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
NOTE: with the following I am not making an argument for what GB SHOULD do, but merely what they have done and therefore what they are most likely to do moving forward. If this process eliminates a guy you like and you still think they will or should take him, more power to you.

It's very well-known among Packer fans that the FO in Green Bay has a lot of specific thresholds for various positions that they tend to stick to. Some fans hate this-- I tend to love it; I think it's great to have an identity and to stick with it as it's bringing you lots of success.

So I'm not breaking any news here regarding OL thresholds, but I wanted to get more specific. So I pulled metrics on every OL drafted back to 2012 (which is when Gutekunst got promoted to scouting director). It's an 18 player sample. I looked at round, college position, height, weight, arm length, and agilities. Here's what I found:

-GB has only drafted 4 OL on day 2 and 0 OL in the first round over that time span.

-Of the 18 players, 13 were tackles in college, 4 were centers, and only 1 was a guards (Stepaniak-- a 6th rounder).

-Only two players were truly 6'6" or taller, both 7th round picks (Andrew Datko and Trent Murphy); others have been listed at 6'6" (Spriggs, Walker), but were actually 6' 5.5". So only two 6'6"+ and one 6'3" (Linsley)-- all other players were 6'4"+ and under 6'6".

-The heaviest player taken was Sean Rhyan (321) and the lightest was Corey Linsley (296). Otherwise, every pick was in a pretty tight span-- 299-315.

So if you want to identify likely Packer OL picks, you need to look primarily at tackles, maybe at centers, and almost certainly not college guards. You want to find guys who are at least 6'4" but not 6'6" or taller. You want to find guys in the range of 300-315 lbs. You want 32"+ arms. You want a cone under 7.80 and a shuttle under 4.80. As to the latter, less and less players are doing agilities every year. I've starred the guys below who actually did one or both. But for the most part, this list is composed of players who hit all the other marks and don't have agilities.

-Graham Barton, Duke
-Jordan Morgan, Arizona
-Dominick Puni, Kansas*
-Javon Foster, Missouri
-Sautaoa Laumea, Utah
-Delmar Glaze, Mayland
-Matt Lee, Miami
-L. Henderson, Michigan

That's the whole list. More guys could be added to it via the pro day circuit, but they will be non-combine invite guys (so mostly UDFA types). And some guys will drop off as they do agilities that may be disqualifying. Not a super long list!
It reminds me of a football version of Dayle Hinman, FBI criminal profiler. If you don’t already know.. She’d take, and sometimes solve, cold cases and solve them using common tendencies.
Loved that show

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It reminds me of a football version of Dayle Hinman, FBI criminal profiler. If you don’t already know.. She’d take, and sometimes solve, cold cases and solve them using common tendencies.
Loved that show

Was she smart and attractive? Because if so, it's exactly like that!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

-Graham Barton, Duke
-Jordan Morgan, Arizona
-Dominick Puni, Kansas*
-Javon Foster, Missouri
-Sautaoa Laumea, Utah
-Delmar Glaze, Mayland
-Matt Lee, Miami
-L. Henderson, Michigan

Duly noted. I'll be keeping an eye on your contest entry for confirmation of truthfulness and will raise the bravo sierra flag if you slip out of the box. :cool:

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Thank you. That is a ton of work you put in. It has me wondering, did Zak Zinter not make the list because he is IOL or did he not clear the thresholds? Thanks in advance.

He didn't test so I don't know about his agilities, but the only reason he wasn't on the list was because he played guard for Michigan. That said, he has the length for tackle and if they felt like he could, but just didn't, he could easily be an exception to the trends.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Duly noted. I'll be keeping an eye on your contest entry for confirmation of truthfulness and will raise the bravo sierra flag if you slip out of the box. :cool:

Anyone who follows my contest entries is misguided XD

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
He didn't test so I don't know about his agilities, but the only reason he wasn't on the list was because he played guard for Michigan. That said, he has the length for tackle and if they felt like he could, but just didn't, he could easily be an exception to the trends.
Sounds like a disclaimer to me. I'm keeping Zinter on my list.

Reaction score
Was she smart and attractive? Because if so, it's exactly like that!
She was pretty hot for a female Cop. I like when they profile me I guess.
I’m attracted to smart women though.. except for my…. O forget it!

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Your extensive work and research on all these draft threads is always informative, enlightening, and appreciated by all us Packer fans and draft nerds in this forum. Thank you

Reaction score
Hey don’t lump me in with a ten trade scenario mockster lol
I once did a Mock and just for fun I traded back as often as I could for the most future draft capital by negotiating every last trade to the nub.
I ended up with like
3-2025 Day1’s,
6-2025 2nd Rounders
9-2025 3-4th Rounders
and about 15 future late picks that I used to trade up so all my current 8 selections were rd3-6 :roflmao:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Your extensive work and research on all these draft threads is always informative, enlightening, and appreciated by all us Packer fans and draft nerds in this forum. Thank you
Yes, totally agree. Thanks to Dantes et al. The rest of us clowns get to hang out in the break room playing Sheepshead!

Now deal those cards DoURant!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like a disclaimer to me. I'm keeping Zinter on my list.
Zinter has every measurable that fits, likely would have been close if not fitting the RAS and highly gifted guard. I’d leave him on it as well for sure

Reaction score
Lol, uh oh. The kiss of death. :cool:
It reminds me of work. I work in Sales and I can’t stand it when someone brings me a deal and sais “this customer always buys” like it’s some laydown, easy sale.
Those are the ones that end up not buying S$@1!! Kiss of Death! :roflmao:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only reason I brought Zinter up was I believe they had him in for a visit.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

-Graham Barton, Duke
-Jordan Morgan, Arizona
-Dominick Puni, Kansas*
-Javon Foster, Missouri
-Sautaoa Laumea, Utah
-Delmar Glaze, Mayland
-Matt Lee, Miami
-L. Henderson, Michigan

I was just looking back through and what are the * players? I was trying to think of common traits and or age or such and cannot place it.

Also so appreciative to see my namesake Tylan on the list! Late flyer type guy IMO

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I was just looking back through and what are the * players? I was trying to think of common traits and or age or such and cannot place it.

Also so appreciative to see my namesake Tylan on the list! Late flyer type guy IMO

It just indicates that a guy actually did one or both of the agility drills.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure how this affects O line types that we want. But the NFL is (much to my dislike) going to allow **** pushes. So it seems we might want a little more strength on the O line for those short yardages.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m attracted to smart women though.. except for my…. O forget it!
If she was a Mensa candidate was not on my mind 15 minutes before closing time back in the day.
Yes, totally agree. Thanks to Dantes et al. The rest of us clowns get to hang out in the break room playing Sheepshead!

Now deal those cards DoURant!
Deal them one at a time. Really pissed someone off when I did it after I found out he hated it. Never found in the rules, like he said it was, that I couldn't.
So it seems we might want a little more strength on the O line for those short yardages.
Don't get in to short yardage. Waiting for the inevitable boomer to show up and comment on Starr doing the fake dive and going long over the top like he was the only one that ever called a play like that.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Waiting for the inevitable boomer to show up and comment on Starr doing the fake dive and going long over the top like he was the only one that ever called a play like that.
Boomer here. Would be fine commenting, but to what are you referring? The only play I remember involving Starr with the ball and with any significance is the end of the Ice Bowl, and that's obviously not what you're talking about here. Need a little more detail.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's referring to the fact that, more than you would think, on 3rd and short, Starr would throw deep. To Max Magee mostly.