Packers and slow starts during games

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.billmichaelssports.com/do-the-packers-really-come-out-flat/

Since 2012, with Aaron Rodgers under center, the Packers have had 31 opening drives, including the post-season and have scored a touchdown down on just 5. The Packers have punted 17 times, kicked 4 field goals, missed 1, fumbled away the ball 3 times and turned the ball over via interception just once. That’s pretty daunting considering that the first 15 plays are usually scripted to “jump start” your offense.

From that point on, McCarthy and Rodgers batting average goes up in the first quarter;
2nd drive: 25 possessions, 13 punts, 9 TDs, 1 FG, 1 Missed FG and turned the ball over once on downs.
3rd drive: 12 possessions, 4 punts, 5 TDs, 2 FGs, 1interception.
4th drive: 2 possessions, 1 punt, 1TD.

Mothra Rob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far McCarthy has had this team totally unprepared coming out of the locker in all 3 games. Home opener and they were sleep walking. He sucks, as does the albino. Neither would have a job without AR. Both stubborn and way way overrated.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are starting flat but the main problem is they never seem to play 60 minutes of solid football. Seems like they just take off quarters where intensity is woeful.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are starting flat but the main problem is they never seem to play 60 minutes of solid football. Seems like they just take off quarters where intensity is woeful.
they can't put together a quarter of solid football on both sides of the ball... leery alone 60 minutes.

Mothra Rob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MC's fear of injury may be costing AR....rusty and his accuracy, which has always been one of his strengths has been way off. Think he'll be okay, but not himself right now.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, if there's one positive we can take from this game, it's that we scored more points against the Lions than we did back in 2010 in Ford Field.

I can still recall Mike McCarthy taking some flack from fans who went all bonkers over our O scoring only 3 points that game. That was our low point in the season and everyone thought we were done.

But, I remember what happened after that was some of the best most storied football I'd ever witnessed as a Packer fan.

I know, it's 2014 now and it's a different year. But still, this isn't the first time struggles like this have happened with this offense. I'm all for giving it time to be sorted out.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
..........but the amazing Mark Lovat has convinced MM that if you practice full speed the day before the game you will not be flat when you start the game. This is the same guy MM appologizes for and praises every single freaking year even though this is NOT the strongest, NOT the biggest, Not the fastest and NOT the healthiest team in the league....Not even close....closer to the bottom. Must be good to be friends with MM.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not the team that starts the season strongest. It's the team that ends it strongest. If we can continue to largely dodge the injury bug, I've seen enough from both units at different times to suggest we can be there when it counts. Holding the Lions offense to 3 points in 3 quarters and 10 points overall is no small task. The pressure from our front four was impressive today.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not the team that starts the season strongest. It's the team that ends it strongest. If we can continue to largely dodge the injury bug, I've seen enough from both units at different times to suggest we can be there when it counts. Holding the Lions offense to 3 points in 3 quarters and 10 points overall is no small task. The pressure from our front four was impressive today.

the bright side ...... our O let them down...

Munch

NFL Owner
Reaction score
My wife pointed out, since I missed the last game, that their play calling is run,run,pass. May I emphasis this more that my wife who barely knows anything about football knew their entire play calling after the first offensive series. It's a joke to see a NFL coach have a play calling system as simplistic as this and not even adjust it after if fails miserably.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
Everybody in the world knew on 4th and 5, AR was going endzone with that pass. There is no imagination on some of these plays

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There isn't a single play in MM's 900 page playbook that will work with a line that can't block. The defense held down the scoring yesterday while allowing the Lions to control the ball for 40 minutes. If you can't get off the field on 3rd down good teams will score points against you. It's a sorry looking team right now; if it isn't turned around quickly any thought of playoffs is over. Before this debacle Nate Silver at 538 gave the Packers a 33% chance of making the playoffs.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
He sucks, as does the albino.
Name calling always makes the point, doesn't it? :rolleyes:
My wife pointed out, since I missed the last game, that their play calling is run,run,pass. May I emphasis this more that my wife who barely knows anything about football knew their entire play calling after the first offensive series. It's a joke to see a NFL coach have a play calling system as simplistic as this and not even adjust it after if fails miserably.
As I posted on another thread, in response to this same idea: By my count, the Packers had 12 first downs in the first half. They started 4 of the 12 by running on both first and second down. They had 10 first downs in the second half. They didn't start any by running on consecutive downs. So that's 4 times in 22 chances they started by running two plays in a row. No offense but it looks like your wife isn't very observant.
http://jsonline.sportsdirectinc.com...nfl/playbyplay/2014-2015/playbyplay42170.html
Everybody in the world knew on 4th and 5, AR was going endzone with that pass. There is no imagination on some of these plays
But he was open - Rodgers threw the ball behind him. IMO that's the strangest of plays to question the play call.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Name calling always makes the point, doesn't it? :rolleyes: As I posted on another thread, in response to this same idea: By my count, the Packers had 12 first downs in the first half. They started 4 of the 12 by running on both first and second down. They had 10 first downs in the second half. They didn't start any by running on consecutive downs. So that's 4 times in 22 chances they started by running two plays in a row. No offense but it looks like your wife isn't very observant.
http://jsonline.sportsdirectinc.com...nfl/playbyplay/2014-2015/playbyplay42170.html But he was open - Rodgers threw the ball behind him. IMO that's the strangest of plays to question the play call.

Ya people keep complaining about that play call but they need to watch the video. It was a bad pass. That is a touchdown 9 times out of 10.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/game-highlights.ht

it is near the end of the highlights

Munch

NFL Owner
Reaction score
So that's 4 times in 22 chances they started by running two plays in a row. No offense but it looks like your wife isn't very observant.
So I'm beginning to wonder whom is less observant as this is a post about a 'slow start' not all game. In the first half we had 6 posessions and at the beginning of those 6 posessions we ran the ball the first 2 plays 3 times that doesn't include the safety on the first run in the endzone but I guess the next play would have been a run. That would make it 4 of 6 or 66%.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
So I'm beginning to wonder whom is less observant as this is a post about a 'slow start' not all game. In the first half we had 6 posessions and at the beginning of those 6 posessions we ran the ball the first 2 plays 3 times that doesn't include the safety on the first run in the endzone but I guess the next play would have been a run. That would make it 4 of 6 or 66%.
That's not even a good try, Munch. Here's your post:
The bolded part implies she knew it for the rest of the game. And then to reinforce that you post, "and not even adjust it after if fails miserably". Obviously McCarthy adjusted to it and didn't run on first and second down consecutively for the rest of the game. No need to wonder who is less observant.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup if Rodgers just hits him right between the numbers like he usually can, different game. But that being said, I do think we need to be able to have confidence in more WRs than just Jordy.

Munch

NFL Owner
Reaction score
That's not even a good try, Munch. Here's your post:
The bolded part implies she knew it for the rest of the game. And then to reinforce that you post, "and not even adjust it after if fails miserably". Obviously McCarthy adjusted to it and didn't run on first and second down consecutively for the rest of the game. No need to wonder who is less observant.
Wow you are completely right my mistake for posting on a post about slow starts to games and not incorporating the second half into my message. I guess 66% in the fist half doesn't count then hey? And 3 of 4 posessions in the 1st quarter.

All hail the rightful king of the 'Internets' please bow down and show your respect to his knowledge and fortitude. May he rule us with all his gifts of might and observance.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Wow you are completely right my mistake for posting on a post about slow starts to games and not incorporating the second half into my message. I guess 66% in the fist half doesn't count then hey? And 3 of 4 posessions in the 1st quarter.

All hail the rightful king of the 'Internets' please bow down and show your respect to his knowledge and fortitude. May he rule us with all his gifts of might and observance.
You can be a ******* if you want but did you post, "It's a joke to see a NFL coach have a play calling system as simplistic as this and not even adjust it after if fails miserably." or not? And did he make adjustments or not?

Munch

NFL Owner
Reaction score
Well let's take a look at it:
1st possession: rush,rush, pass
2nd possession: rush,rush,pass
3rd possession: rush,pass,rush (adjustment?)
4th possession: rush,rush,pass
5th possession: rush(safety) presumably rush was coming next.
6th possession: pass,rush,pass (adjustment or conceded to failure? Your call)
I am by no means a NFL coach but what I see here speaks for itself.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Well let's take a look at it:
1st possession: rush,rush, pass
2nd possession: rush,rush,pass
3rd possession: rush,pass,rush (adjustment?)
4th possession: rush,rush,pass
5th possession: rush(safety) presumably rush was coming next.
6th possession: pass,rush,pass (adjustment or conceded to failure? Your call)
I am by no means a NFL coach but what I see here speaks for itself.
Yes, let's take a more complete look.

1st possession: Rush, rush & fumble.
2nd: Rush, rush, incomplete (inc.) pass.
Two rushes which led to a very makeable 3rd and 3. IMO the problem was on 3rd down, not the first two rushes for 7 yards.
3rd: Rush for 6 yards, pass for a 1st down, rush, inc. pass, pass-sacked.
Do you or your wife have a problem with a first down rush for 6 yards? Must not have been that predictable.
4th: Rush, rush (a holding penalty on the Lions gave the Packers a 1st down), pass for a 1st down, inc. pass, rush, pass for 1st down, rush for 9 yds, inc. pass, TD pass.
Interesting you list the TD drive in the “slow start” problem. And how did your wife do guessing two consecutive rushes on first down during this drive?
5th: Rush resulting in a safety.
Each of the three blockers on the play side, two of whom (Lang and Bulaga) who are supposed to be good run blockers, screwed up on the play. And so did who I believe they think is their best blocking TE. Even for a rookie, that was embarrassing.
6th: Inc. Pass, rush for 7 yds, pass for a 1st down, rush for 7, rush for 2 (leading to a makeable 3rd & 1), rush for 15 yds, inc. pass, pass, pass-sacked.
Again, it doesn’t look like the running plays were the big problem during this drive, does it?

All running plays aren't equal. Actually looking at these sequences does speak for itself and you don't have to be an NFL coach to see it.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could care less about the numbers! We are a 1-2 team who really should be 0-3. The play calling stinks, the defense is up and down... Mostly down. The running game has disappeared, Rodgers looks skittish, and we are starting games slow . Looks like it's time to go back to 4 wide and letting Rodgers throw us to victory. It may be time to bring Janis up and deactivate one if the many tightends. Right now we look to go 8-8.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could care less about the numbers! We are a 1-2 team who really should be 0-3. The play calling stinks, the defense is up and down... Mostly down. The running game has disappeared, Rodgers looks skittish, and we are starting games slow . Looks like it's time to go back to 4 wide and letting Rodgers throw us to victory. It may be time to bring Janis up and deactivate one if the many tightends. Right now we look to go 8-8.
Oh no we need the tight ends for special teams :rolleyes:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh no we need the tight ends for special teams :rolleyes:

Lol I know, all 4 of em haha. I didn't hear Rogers or Bostics name called once...and I heard Taylor's because he got flagged for holding. Yet you keep a guy who showed playmaking ability during preseason deactivated? Brilliant.