Over Time question

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Based on the muffed punts tonight. In OT team A is first with the ball and goes 3 & out. Punts the ball. Team B muffs the punt and team A recovers to go on and kick a FG. Does the muffed punt count as a possession for team B and is the game over?

Reaction score
I’m not positive but my guess is
Team B never took possession.

I’m guessing it’s sudden death for team B on the ensuing.
Either score or lose.

My guess

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on the muffed punts tonight. In OT team A is first with the ball and goes 3 & out. Punts the ball. Team B muffs the punt and team A recovers to go on and kick a FG. Does the muffed punt count as a possession for team B and is the game over?
Good one for research. I would say the game is over. Unlike the offense fumbling and the defense letting it slip through its fingers a team relinquishes possession once an unblocked punt occurs or when a blocked punt crosses the line of scrimmage. The ball becomes the receiving team's at that point and it cannot lose it unless they muff it or fumble it no matter where it lands. The only difference is that the muff cannot be advanced unlike a fumble. However, the muff can be recovered because the ball was in the possession of the receiving team once punted. That is my explanation.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the NFL definition:

If the kicking team legally recovers the kick, the receiving team is considered to have had its opportunity. A punt or field goal attempt that crosses the line of scrimmage and is muffed by the receiving team is considered to be an opportunity to possess for the receiving team.

The same would apply to an onside kick, since receiving the kick is considered "an opportunity" to possess the football.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If the kicking team legally recovers the kick, the receiving team is considered to have had its opportunity. A punt or field goal attempt that crosses the line of scrimmage and is muffed by the receiving team is considered to be an opportunity to possess for the receiving team.

The same would apply to an onside kick, since receiving the kick is considered "an opportunity" to possess the football.
If it happens I hope it is in our favor.

Reaction score

That’s very tricky answer.

So it’s really not technically “a possession” that decides sudden death. It’s decided by “an opportunity “ at a possession. That sounds like NFL racketeering ! :rolleyes:

Would’ve an opportunity for both teams to possess a ball be on any play?
QB strip sack recovery
INT recovery
Catch fumble recovery
Run fumble recovery
Blocked XPA
Blocked FG
Safety in the Paint
Punt recovery
Kick recovery
Recovery on Downs

I want a Referee Board Meeting held Monday Morning. Who the H made this rule?? :laugh:

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts