Overtime changes ideas

Reaction score
Both offenses get the ball once....But who ever gets the most points after both has ball once, then they win.

if tied then they keep going like a regular game...

Baseball allows both sides to get a chance..And it is a FAR STRETCH---

Tied game in baseball...Go to top of 10th...visiting team hits 2 home runs in top of 10th....Game over..The pitcher shouldnt have given up those home runs.

But it isnt, they allow the other side a chance...

I have to agree with your perspective, LTF! Fire away and correct me if I am wrong, but to the best of my knowledge, in any professional sport where a ball or puck is used, BOTH team's offense handle the ball/puck in some form in OT. Jump balls and the drop of a hockey puck to start OT. "Last bats" in extra innings as mentioned in MLB. Tennis serves leading to volleys. Soccer OT's, etc. It baffles me as to WHY the most popular professional sport in the country chooses to implement an OT rule where a "coin flip" can quite possibly provide no opportunity for the opposing team which lost the coin flip to handle the ball. I've read people's sentiments as to how fatigued players are after four quarters of a grueling, hard hitting NFL game which no doubt, is true, but professional Hockey is just as brutal and tiring as football, yet, they play on (and yes, I realize there is a break before OT where there is none in the NFL which is a huge factor) with both teams offense almost always handling the puck in OT. The NFL is the only sport where this rule is implemented that could possibly deny a team to handle the ball and give them an equal opportunity to win. Yeah, and I get it....STOP the other team, get the ball and kick a FG. But I would be curious to know how many (if any) NFL teams won a coin toss in OT and elected to go on defense first. Is there a statistic to check that out? I would be interested to know. I didn't like the previous rule and I don't like the new one, either, but I respect everyone's opinion on both sides of this issue and understand their reasoning. Lose a coin flip and STOP the other team, but I still disagree. It's pointless for me to argue a rule that is already in place because it is what it is until it is modified once again (if ever) to provide an equal opportunity for both teams to handle the ball. I don't have a solution, but I like your idea, LTF! JMHO! Fire away!

Last edited:

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But I would be curious to know how many (if any) NFL teams won a coin toss in OT and elected to go on defense first.

Not sure if there a stat that shows that, but I know it happened at least twice this year. One happened with NE and they chose to kickoff although it appears that they seemed confused when the ref signaled that they would be kicking off, and they lost that game. The other time was when the Vikings chose to kickoff and they won that game. Normally, the only time you may want to kickoff in a game is there is a big advantage to taking the wind, which was the case with the Viking game. They held their opponent to 3 and out and with them having to punt into the wind they got great field position and kicked a field goal to win.

Reaction score
Not sure if there a stat that shows that, but I know it happened at least twice this year. One happened with NE and they chose to kickoff although it appears that they seemed confused when the ref signaled that they would be kicking off, and they lost that game. The other time was when the Vikings chose to kickoff and they won that game. Normally, the only time you may want to kickoff in a game is there is a big advantage to taking the wind, which was the case with the Viking game. They held their opponent to 3 and out and with them having to punt into the wind they got great field position and kicked a field goal to win.

That would be what I would figure might happen where the wind was a factor. It would also depend upon who the Vikings opponent was (?) Makes good sense with that strategy in mind. Have to live with the new rule and as much as I dislike the modification, I absolutely loathed the prior rule.:confused:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

But I would be curious to know how many (if any) NFL teams won a coin toss in OT and elected to go on defense first. Is there a statistic to check that out?

Since the NFL modified the overtime rule for the 2010 playoffs as well as using it in the regular season since 2012 only three of 75 teams (4%) that won the coin toss in OT decided to kick off.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Since the NFL modified the overtime rule for the 2010 playoffs as well as using it in the regular season since 2012 only three of 75 teams (4%) that won the coin toss in OT decided to kick off.
OK NE screwed up and wanted the direction but said kick first so I guess they lost both advantages and the game. Minn won with the wind. How'd the third team do? :geek: 20% of the time the team receiving the kick wins without the other team getting the ball. Already at least 33% of the teams that kickoff win, not accounting for the third team yet. Numbers already say you should kick in overtime based on averages. [/sarcasm]

D

Deleted member 6794

OK NE screwed up and wanted the direction but said kick first so I guess they lost both advantages and the game. Minn won with the wind. How'd the third team do? :geek: 20% of the time the team receiving the kick wins without the other team getting the ball. Already at least 33% of the teams that kickoff win, not accounting for the third team yet. Numbers already say you should kick in overtime based on averages. [/sarcasm]

The Patriots did it another time in 2013, defeating the Broncos.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thank you. I didn't have time to look.
So 66% of the time teams choose to kick they win. Just saying.:whistling:

I guess that if Un4givn reads about it he will be all for kicking off in OT from now on as it results in a higher win probability. :D

Members online

Latest posts