Official Seattle thread

sean corey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I do not...

Interesting analysis, but Starks only has 12 carries, that is very small sample. And he comes in as change of pace back and after Lacy has worn defenders down a bit. If you start right off with Starks, I doubt he has the success Lacy would IMO.

Ya... I think the Packers best chance of pulling off a victory in this game is to do two things.

#1 have success with Lacy early on. Our worst games with the 9ers were when Gore broke off a big chunk and they scored early.

#2 Score often early. The Hawks have obviously played lights out late in the third and definitely in the fourth qtr, The Packers have a real chance to win the NFC Championship if you are ahead by two scores going into the second half.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers secret weapon is...wait for it...John Kuhn!

So, the Packers run out Kuhn to provide a convincing run look in run or tweener downs, with Seattle responding with base personnel. Kuhn then splits out wide (as the Packers have shown in recent weeks) occupying Sherman. The Seattle fans can correct me if wrong, but I believe Sherman stays fixed on the defense's left side. The Packers then play hurry-up to prevent substitutions.

That allows the Packers to the throw the ball 10-on-10 from a variety of configurations. One example might be trips left with a man in motion to the slot on Sherman's side to spread the secondary, work a match up or open up a seam.

Of course, I'm joking. Sort of.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
That's been their default approach. I've read (at PFF perhaps?) that Chancellor has taken 80% of his snaps this season at 7 yds. or less from the line of scrimmage.

Unfortunately, my Game Rewind subscription has expired; I wanted to see how they played the Packers in week one.

I strikes me playing single-high vs. two-or-three high safety typically works to Rodgers' advantage. He did throw a deep ball against Dallas for the first time in three games and looked none the worse for wear.

In our game against the Hawks chancellor was "half way in box" most of the game. He loves to sneak up in there. He is a terror all over the field no doubt but if we can get him in space in the 5 on 5 passing game I like our chances with our guys.

This type of play with Chancellor puts a tremendous amount of pressure on Thomas back there. Once again that gamble works very well against some of these QB and passing games they have faced recently and we will just have to see how it works against ours.

If Bulaga and Bak can hold the edge down I can see some opportunities opening up down field.

H

HardRightEdge

In our game against the Hawks chancellor was "half way in box" most of the game. He loves to sneak up in there. He is a terror all over the field no doubt but if we can get him in space in the 5 on 5 passing game I like our chances with our guys.

This type of play with Chancellor puts a tremendous amount of pressure on Thomas back there. Once again that gamble works very well against some of these QB and passing games they have faced recently and we will just have to see how it works against ours.

If Bulaga and Bak can hold the edge down I can see some opportunities opening up down field.
Yeah, Chancellor has great instincts and short distance quickness, however he's not the speediest guy in space. I like Cobb one-on-one with him. Cobb's a tough SOB and, unlike Demaryius Thomas in the Super Bowl, will not take a dive a yard short of the 1st. down just because Chancellor is within sniffing distance.

sean corey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I just hope you Packers get the opportunity to kick some field goals. I can't wait for Bam Bam to go all Superman or in his own words "Bat Man" and jump clean over the O and D line to try to block your kicks.

That stuff is a hoot. I like the ferocity he brings to the Defense but that jumping thing is out of this world!

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Yeah, Chancellor has great instincts and short distance quickness, however he's not the speediest guy in space. I like Cobb one-on-one with him. Cobb's a tough SOB and, unlike Demaryius Thomas in the Super Bowl, will not take a dive a yard short of the 1st. down just because Chancellor is within sniffing distance.

Yes, and this opens up "Pandora's Box" as it will force them right into there nickel package and bringing in Jeremy Lane to cover Cobb. One less LB and a suspect interior D-line. Here comes Lacy and the "Bozo" call. ;)

Edit: If Kuhn or Quarless make the block we are "off and running"

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How the Packers can win

- Brad Jones. Tell him to run back into the building from the team bus and get a clipboard. Quickly take off directly to the airport, get on the plane and tell the pilot to step on it and ignore the man running down the runway with a clipboard. Label the next flight 'Seattle', but it will actually be going to Bulgaria. Tip the airport screeners to swipe his ID, Credit Cards, and cash from his wallet and soak his cell phone in acid. In Bulgaria, if he has a Passport, burn it. Else plant 0.2 Kg of heroin and some bomb making equipment on him and call the Bulgarian secret police. Okay, I'm getting a little carried away.

- Defensively : Stack the box. Smack them receivers at the line. We have to be very physical with our DBs. Lots of run blitzes. Don't give Wilson much time back there. Make him move. He throws great on the move, but if we are smacking them receivers around, they aren't going to be open quickly. And most importantly - key on Lynch every play. When he starts rolling their whole team gets pumped. Can't allow that.

Offensively: Don't be afraid to throw deep. Scatter the ball around. Get Lacy going early and often. Maybe the injuries to their DL will allow for some opportunities. Lots of quick passes to start - I suspect they will be coming to test Rodgers leg early. Develop a rhythm and then go with a few pump fakes and then deep. Let em jump them routes. Complain on every pass you don't catch about pass interference - work them refs!

Special Teams: See Brad Jones paragraph and insert Slocum wherever it says Brad Jones and Tanzania where it says Bulgaria. Instruct long snapper to jump up if he sees Chancellor jumping. Instruct place holder to leave a few seconds before hiking and to go on '3'.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Romo Witten Dez and Williams are all upgrades over Seattle

Lynch slightly better than Murray. I agree with the poster who said make Wilson and the Seattle WRs beat us.

I think our offense has a lot more potential than opening day most notably our center is seasoned, the TE position has developed, hopefully Adams will draw some attention.

We need to go at Sherman at least enough to keep them honest.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Romo Witten Dez and Williams are all upgrades over Seattle

Lynch slightly better than Murray. I agree with the poster who said make Wilson and the Seattle WRs beat us.

I think our offense has a lot more potential than opening day most notably our center is seasoned, the TE position has developed, hopefully Adams will draw some attention.

We need to go at Sherman at least enough to keep them honest.
I like Wilson and Lynch. On defense I like every single Seahawk over Dallas. Maybe a DL, maybe not.

hawknballs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The biggest problem the Packers are going to face in this game is the consistency that Seattle plays with. They have fielded the best defense for three years in a row. To think that suddenly they are going to crap the bed on Sunday - well, it isn't going to happen. The bigger the spotlight gets, the better they play, and it's been consistent. 14-1 in prime time games, 5-1 in playoff games, and the two losses in those categories were in Wilson's rookie year and on the road, a loss in an ugly game by both teams in San Francisco, and the playoffs loss in Atlanta. I realize this isn't a prime-time game but it is a playoff game. I'm not saying that they are suddenly overcome with magical invincibility or something dumb. I'm just saying, you're going to get the best of the Seahawks so don't count on them having a bad day at the office as any part of how the game might go - it ain't gonna happen.

That being said, Rodgers is still the best QB in the NFL with or without a bum leg, so they'll have their work cut out for them. Hopefully Maxwell is back and 100%, because Tharold Simon got beat all day against the Panthers.

Also the sentiment of "Force Wilson to beat us" - we'll see how that goes. Wilson is the highest rated passer in NFL playoff history right now for QB's with a minimum of 150 attempts. Rodgers has 6 playoff victories, Wilson has 5. It should also be noted that for as much as people overlook the Seahawks offense, they put up franchise records this season for yards per game and play. While the Seahawks haven't historically had league-leading offenses (exception being 2005), it's still worth noting when you consider how much the media seems to want to put it out there that the Seattle offense isn't that good. Considering how the Packers struggle against QB's who can run, I'm not sure if you really want to dare Wilson to beat you. All the guy does is make plays and win games.

I'm hoping for a great game. It should be a loud one, even though the Packer fans usually do a great job of showing up to the clink. I have a lot of confidence in the Seahawks to get the W but it's going to be no cake walk.

Sea_Hawker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The biggest problem the Packers are going to face in this game is the consistency that Seattle plays with. They have fielded the best defense for three years in a row. To think that suddenly they are going to crap the bed on Sunday - well, it isn't going to happen. The bigger the spotlight gets, the better they play, and it's been consistent. 14-1 in prime time games, 5-1 in playoff games, and the two losses in those categories were in Wilson's rookie year and on the road, a loss in an ugly game by both teams in San Francisco, and the playoffs loss in Atlanta. I realize this isn't a prime-time game but it is a playoff game. I'm not saying that they are suddenly overcome with magical invincibility or something dumb. I'm just saying, you're going to get the best of the Seahawks so don't count on them having a bad day at the office as any part of how the game might go - it ain't gonna happen.

That being said, Rodgers is still the best QB in the NFL with or without a bum leg, so they'll have their work cut out for them. Hopefully Maxwell is back and 100%, because Tharold Simon got beat all day against the Panthers.

Also the sentiment of "Force Wilson to beat us" - we'll see how that goes. Wilson is the highest rated passer in NFL playoff history right now for QB's with a minimum of 150 attempts. Rodgers has 6 playoff victories, Wilson has 5. It should also be noted that for as much as people overlook the Seahawks offense, they put up franchise records this season for yards per game and play. While the Seahawks haven't historically had league-leading offenses, it's still worth noting when you consider how much the media seems to want to put it out there that the Seattle offense isn't that good. Considering how the Packers struggle against QB's who can run, I'm not sure if you really want to dare Wilson to beat you. All the guy does is make plays and win games.

I'm hoping for a great game. It should be a loud one, even though the Packer fans usually do a great job of showing up to the clink. I have a lot of confidence in the Seahawks to get the W but it's going to be no cake walk.

Been trying to post something along these lines all day. Work keeps interfering with my play! Completely agree with this...

A lot of teams have focused on Lynch and tried to make Wilson beat them. Most often, he does. I'm not saying the Seahawks are an offensive juggernaut but they are getting pretty dangerous. Especially with Luke Willson starting to emerge. Adding that extra threat has caused a lot of headaches for some pretty good defenses recently.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Also the sentiment of "Force Wilson to beat us" - we'll see how that goes. Wilson is the highest rated passer in NFL playoff history right now for QB's with a minimum of 150 attempts. Rodgers has 6 playoff victories, Wilson has 5. It should also be noted that for as much as people overlook the Seahawks offense, they put up franchise records this season for yards per game and play. While the Seahawks haven't historically had league-leading offenses (exception being 2005), it's still worth noting when you consider how much the media seems to want to put it out there that the Seattle offense isn't that good. Considering how the Packers struggle against QB's who can run, I'm not sure if you really want to dare Wilson to beat you. All the guy does is make plays and win games.

I don't think it's so much force Wilson to beat us but make your receivers beat us. Were not lining up Tre Boston. I think it's more along the lines of contain Wilson and Lynch. Those two are gonna make some plays no doubt but force Wilson in the pocket and make your receivers make "one handed catches" against what I believe our "underrated secondary."

They might not get all the LOB hype but there no joke.

I seriously doubt Capers is gonna do a "blitz crazy' approach like Arizona did in week 17.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Been trying to post something along these lines all day. Work keeps interfering with my play! Completely agree with this...

A lot of teams have focused on Lynch and tried to make Wilson beat them. Most often, he does. I'm not saying the Seahawks are an offensive juggernaut but they are getting pretty dangerous. Especially with Luke Willson starting to emerge. Adding that extra threat has caused a lot of headaches for some pretty good defenses recently.
Don't take the "stop Lynch first" as a slight against Wilson. Take it as respect for Lynch. When he gets going, even the defense is standing and cheering. We can't let him pump up the Hawk momentum. I have more confidence in our DBs against you WRs than I do our run defense. Although run D has improved, Lynch will be a big test.

I think everyone here has a healthy dose of respect for your team, but some of us like to be sarcastically confident, especially how very few are giving us a chance.

Personally, I know our chances are smaller than I would like, but a win is not impossible. If we play solid, mistake-free and get a big play here and there, it is possible.

Beagle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's all on the Packers secondary. You can match the Seahawks in most departments but I'm not sure your secondary will cope with Wilson's underrated arm. If they do then I think there'll be cheese in Arizona

H

HardRightEdge

I've been liking the base/nickel hybrid the Packers have been showing lately.

3 down linemen, Matthews and Peppers on the line at wide 9 containing the edge on the way to the QB, 5 DBs, Barrington in the middle. This would appear to provide good match ups...a run stopping front, contain on the edge against Wilson, while sacrificing something in the short middle pass game where Seattle does not have notable weapons and where Wilson's height makes short timing passes an issue.

Reaction score
Just a thought- does anyone else think that Starks might have more success than Lacy running the ball? I don't have a whole lot of evidence to back up this thought, however, here is my thought process. Lacy relies on breaking tackles and running over defenders to gain much of his yardage. I don't know where I would pull up the exact numbers, but I am sure he gains a ton of yardage after contact. Starks, on the other hand, it more of a one cut runner who isn't quite as reliant on breaking tackles. Given the fact that Seattle is a great tackling team, Starks would seem to match up better in some ways.

Here are their statistics against San Francisco and Seattle since 2013(both great tackling teams). It's not enough data to gather a definitive conclusion, but it is something to think about.

Lacy
47 carries for 156 yards
3.3 average

Starks
12 carries for 66 yards
5.5 average

Obviously Lacy had the concussion earlier in the year, and our offensive line play has improved drastically so my whole thought could be completely wrong. But I'd still be interested in seeing Starks for a few carries, and seeing how he does.
Red, although I think your point has a valid argument and is considerate, I think it's important for us to stick to what got us here and our identity. I think we all would agree that our blocking has somewhat improved and that Eddie seems to be "getting in the groove" or maybe just reading holes better.. When we look at his numbers during the recent history of games (some very formidable defenses) I think we can take away that we are much improved from week 1. That doesn't necessarily mean we can't alter or make adjustments on the number of carries or timing of the "shift change" so to speak that can keep the opposing Defenses guessing.
A related concept that I believe is important to adopt this game is to play Lacey as a receiver in the slots and inward and in the 5-10 yard range. This will allow an opportunity for interference calls on an overly aggressive pass defense and give Lacey the room to apply his momentum. This also gives Aaron a quick option underneath and a possibility of releasing the ball before being hurried or hit. This theory also, in turn, will greatly reduce the chance of a sack of fumble which will prove costly. From the information I have read about Lacey and his ball handling as a receiver, he was practicing his receiving drills with great results. IMO, he is underestimated as a receiver.. this could be one key in our success. Another is getting Davante Adams involved.. he reminds me of a larger version of Donald Driver in his early years.. who , if we remember, gave Favre that quick and reliable slant receiver. I believe what Davante may lack in experience he can make up for with his Y.A.C

hawknballs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you're correct that we don't have NFL top tier receivers, but the ones we have know how to play within our system. Baldwin is an exceptional route runner who will find a way to get himself open, and Kearse while not fast is a deep threat thanks to his ability to box out the defender and get the ball. Not having Richardson is going to hurt but in comes Lockette who can turn on the speed (when he's not killing us with penalties anyways). Luke Willson can't be overlooked in the passing game either. He's big, and he's fast. He suffers from the dropsies at times, however. Lynch has also been an important part of the passing game this year as well. Obviously he's no Matt Forte.

Overall though the strength these guys have is that they've been playing with Wilson behind that shaky oline for a while now and they are accustomed to the style of play that requires them to find ways to get open, and they do so very well. Watching tape of our games you'll see these guys routinely wide open because of what Wilson brings to the table in extending plays, and just being a threat to run. So often the guy who should be covering Luke Willson will cheat up to contain RW, only to get a ball lobbed over their head to the TE.

If i were the Packers I'd almost make containing Wilson and taking away the passing game first; it seems counter intuitive, but the Seahawks either way are going to bludgeon the middle of your defense with the run game, probably using all 3 backs to do so to wear them out by the 4th quarter. I'd use Seattle's own strategy against them - run down the clock, and hope for big plays on offense while counting on your D to play strong red zone defense and force field goals.

If you sell out to stop the run, you'll get burned. Ask the Panthers how that worked out. They took our receivers lightly and made stopping lynch the focus and Wilson had a 3 TD 0 pick day against a team that's been fairly sound against the pass all year.

If the Packers want to win, they'll have to do two things well:

1.) Hold Seattle to field goals; this isn't impossible to do. Russell Wilson is VERY careful with the football, especially in the red zone (2 picks in 53 games in that area). He will throw the ball away at first sign of trouble, and the team is coached to protect the ball and get points at all costs

2.) When GB gets in FG range, get points. I know opposing teams fans don't like hearing it, and many want to discount it, but the clink is loud and it DOES affect things, to think otherwise would be silly. You try doing any activity that takes a concert of athletic constitution and mental awareness, and then drop 70k screaming lunatics on top of you and see if your performance doesn't suffer.

So many teams get inside the 40, and give up penalties or sacks and get knocked out of field goal range, inspiring the defense and feeding the crowd, and end up getting a big goose egg for their efforts. if the Packers want to win you need to come away with points when you get inside that 40 yard line. Every time.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I've been liking the base/nickel hybrid the Packers have been showing lately.

3 down linemen, Matthews and Peppers on the line at wide 9 containing the edge on the way to the QB, 5 DBs, Barrington in the middle. This would appear to provide good match ups...a run stopping front, contain on the edge against Wilson, while sacrificing something in the short middle pass game where Seattle does not have notable weapons and where Wilson's height makes short timing passes an issue.

I couldn't agree more. It makes the defense sooooo much faster. Nick Perry has been showing up too. I am just hoping it can hold up against the Seahawks "Power read-option". You know there gonna try and test it. Other then a couple Murray runs it held up pretty good against that Dallas O-line and you gotta figure your gonna give some up against that Dallas run game.

Ran on Detroit and contained Dallas run game. I'd say were ready.

At least we don't have to worry about Dez, CJ, T. Williams and Tate this weekend.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you're correct that we don't have NFL top tier receivers, but the ones we have know how to play within our system. Baldwin is an exceptional route runner who will find a way to get himself open, and Kearse while not fast is a deep threat thanks to his ability to box out the defender and get the ball. Not having Richardson is going to hurt but in comes Lockette who can turn on the speed (when he's not killing us with penalties anyways). Luke Willson can't be overlooked in the passing game either. He's big, and he's fast. He suffers from the dropsies at times, however. Lynch has also been an important part of the passing game this year as well. Obviously he's no Matt Forte.

Overall though the strength these guys have is that they've been playing with Wilson behind that shaky oline for a while now and they are accustomed to the style of play that requires them to find ways to get open, and they do so very well. Watching tape of our games you'll see these guys routinely wide open because of what Wilson brings to the table in extending plays, and just being a threat to run. So often the guy who should be covering Luke Willson will cheat up to contain RW, only to get a ball lobbed over their head to the TE.

If i were the Packers I'd almost make containing Wilson and taking away the passing game first; it seems counter intuitive, but the Seahawks either way are going to bludgeon the middle of your defense with the run game, probably using all 3 backs to do so to wear them out by the 4th quarter. I'd use Seattle's own strategy against them - run down the clock, and hope for big plays on offense while counting on your D to play strong red zone defense and force field goals.

If you sell out to stop the run, you'll get burned. Ask the Panthers how that worked out. They took our receivers lightly and made stopping lynch the focus and Wilson had a 3 TD 0 pick day against a team that's been fairly sound against the pass all year.

If the Packers want to win, they'll have to do two things well:

1.) Hold Seattle to field goals; this isn't impossible to do. Russell Wilson is VERY careful with the football, especially in the red zone (2 picks in 53 games in that area). He will throw the ball away at first sign of trouble, and the team is coached to protect the ball and get points at all costs

2.) When GB gets in FG range, get points. I know opposing teams fans don't like hearing it, and many want to discount it, but the clink is loud and it DOES affect things, to think otherwise would be silly. You try doing any activity that takes a concert of athletic constitution and mental awareness, and then drop 70k screaming lunatics on top of you and see if your performance doesn't suffer.

So many teams get inside the 40, and give up penalties or sacks and get knocked out of field goal range, inspiring the defense and feeding the crowd, and end up getting a big goose egg for their efforts. if the Packers want to win you need to come away with points when you get inside that 40 yard line. Every time.

Even as a Packer fan, I agree with your assessment about the Seahawks passing game. They were only the 27th ranked during the regular season, but that's deceiving. They didn't have a ton of passing yards simply because they didn't usually need to pass, both because they operate a run first offense and they were usually leading. They can throw the ball when they're forced to.

With that said, I still expect to see the Packers play a lot of single high safety with extra help in the box. It's a necessity that they contain Lynch first, regardless of the lack of success that the Panthers had with that strategy. We've got 2 pretty good CB's in outside man coverage in Williams and Shields who I trust. It's Luke Willson over the middle tthat concerns me the most in the passing game and it'll be absolutely essential that the Packers pass rush at least make Wilson uncomfortable and force some hurried throws.

Rus-Wil-Son

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've got a lil prize on the line for you cheese heads. Head to the "welcome seahawk fans" thread. Good luck!

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You pass on first down. Seattle likes to put their big guys in the box on first down. Down let them substitute. Get those big boys tired, then you can start running Lacy on them. They have to keep Chancellor in the secondary.

Again, this game will be determined on the play of our defense. They will need to tackle properly. Don't let them extend drives on 3rd downs. Mathews will have to play much better than he played against Dallas and stop being overly aggressive because that's when Wilson will beat them. Stop the run and make Wilson best you with his arm. He is capable of it, but we cannot allow them to establish the run. If they do, game over.

BlueRaptor

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very typical mid January in Puget Sound.

Thursday 50/41 Increasing PM Rain
Friday 48/45 Chance of Showers
Saturday 50/42 Increasing Rain
Sunday 49/44 Decreasing Rain, 100% Chance of BOOM

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
You pass on first down. Seattle likes to put their big guys in the box on first down. Down let them substitute. Get those big boys tired, then you can start running Lacy on them. They have to keep Chancellor in the secondary.

Again, this game will be determined on the play of our defense. They will need to tackle properly. Don't let them extend drives on 3rd downs. Mathews will have to play much better than he played against Dallas and stop being overly aggressive because that's when Wilson will beat them. Stop the run and make Wilson best you with his arm. He is capable of it, but we cannot allow them to establish the run. If they do, game over.

I agree defense will be a big key and ball control as well.

You bring up a very good point on passing on first down. I have thought this as well and hope they avoid getting into the mode of "we have to run the ball and impose our will on 1st down" against there stacked box. I would really like it if MM came out on first possession with all our receivers and Cobb in backfield and throw em off. Give em a "smoke show" right out of the gate.

I think the Seahawks like to trick you into that whole thing you have to run the ball on them. I am not saying abandon the run game but let's get there LB's and Chancellor playing in space against our skill guys. Force them into there nickel.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts