Official GB vs Pat's, studs n duds

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The roughing the kicker call on 4th and 22...
That hurt more than people realize. Yeah, our defense stopped them again, but i think we got the ball inside the 15 rather than out near the 30. This team makes everything so ******* itself. Even when they do something good, they have to find a way to make it difficult.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh, i know. If we have 2 runs, you KNOW he's going downfield on the next. He's part of the problem. but most of our runs are set up off the pass. Teams always play pass against us. We're not a running team like the Rams can be. Jones is good in a role. If we lined up and ran 1st and 2nd down every time I think we'd be behind the chains more often than not. It's part of the reason our 3rd down stinks and so does our redzone. Our run sets up nothing. Our pass does. If our run game were legitimate, teams would worry about it and it would open up the 3rd down and redzone play book.

Well I'd like to see more throws out of running sets and more runs out of passing sets. I also would like us to have a 40/60 run pass split instead of 30/70. A little more balance will help out our passing game. Also I think our Oline run blocks better than it pass blocks.

Somehow they have to find a way to pull the reins on Aaron, he's trying to do too much out there and its hurting this team.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I'd like to see more throws out of running sets and more runs out of passing sets. I also would like us to have a 40/60 run pass split instead of 30/70. A little more balance will help out our passing game. Also I think our Oline run blocks better than it pass blocks.

Somehow they have to find a way to pull the reins on Aaron, he's trying to do too much out there and its hurting this team.
I feel like my green check isn't enough, so I have to say it out loud. I agree completely.

It's a hard balance to keep. Big plays are Rodgers' thing. How much do you limit it? Favre made a living being a little reckless how much do you make him play it safe? we can probably all agree it has to be some, but how much?

I would like to see them just commit to it for a bit, but I admit, I don't always see what the defense is doing. Last night I noticed 1 series, it was run, run with Williams and then NE came in with 8 in the box and we tried to run that little dump pass with receivers going deep and a lot of guys playing the run. Should have been room to run, but it never got started.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need to play matchups better than we do and keep defenses off balance. Work the run game more and set Graham up with more LB matchups, if a team has to bring a safety up in the box you're going to see more one on one matchups for Adams and you'll see less pressure on young players like Scantling and St. Brown who just aren't seasoned enough to consistently win one on one. We just dont have the horses to pass 70+% of the time and make it work. Honestly we haven't had the right kind of talent for that sort of offense since 14, even that offense was marred by a lack of man beater route combinations(See Seattle beating us in the NFCG).

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You may think "trick and gadget plays" aren't what the Packers need to win, but all you have to do is look at what the Patriots did last night. Brady was in a bit of a funk, their offense was sputtering and McDaniels started digging through his playbook and boom....the Patriots are on a roll.
I felt I had to address this again, but what else had happened by that point in the game? 2-3 safeties out of the game? Getting kind of far down the depth chart. Starting linebacker out? maybe he was back by then. Starting DB out? It wasn't just digging thru the playbook, it was a situation ripe for the taking.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Yeah but sacks are drive killers too, and he's on pace for 40 plus again.
That's not all Rodgers' fault. At times he's looking to make a play, but you combine the fact that he has less than 100% of his normal mobility, along with the fact that the offensive line got mauled much of the night last night, and also consider the types of plays that were being called, it was requiring Rodgers to look down the field often.

Not absolving Rodgers completely from this. He plays a part in it, but there's many other variables to consider.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I felt I had to address this again, but what else had happened by that point in the game? 2-3 safeties out of the game? Getting kind of far down the depth chart. Starting linebacker out? maybe he was back by then. Starting DB out? It wasn't just digging thru the playbook, it was a situation ripe for the taking.
Brady was flailing, and great play calls (the two reverses from Edelman, the flee flicker, the Edelman wide receiver throw back to the other side of the field, essentially setting up a wide receiver screen) facilitated in helping the Packers move the ball.

I'm not saying I want McCarthy to pull trick plays out of his rear, but the lack of creativity at times especially when your team is having trouble moving the ball is disturbing to say the least.

I said it last night and I'll reiterate. Josh McDaniels won that game. He should have gotten the game ball.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and who's our Edelman? Cobb? He not even a threat on the field last night, but maybe. I'm not saying it was a perfectly called game and nothing could have helped. Sure something can. But what are the odds we can't run something as simple as a screen pass, but could execute something "tricky"? This offense has issues, and it's the simple stuff. The small things.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Maybe I am over summarizing this a bit, but almost everything I read here points to "Rodgers is trying to play too perfect". At times his OL gives him that time to be choosy, but at times they don't and I would rather see AR just play a little looser. If that means a few more interceptions during the season, so be it. He has some receivers with height and some with speed, put some trust in them, try and put the ball in their hands past the first down marker.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would love to be able to have a conversation with all of the DC's that have had to face Rodgers this year and ask them "Do you worry about Rodgers more over the course of 38 minutes or is it that last 2 minutes that concern you? Why is Rodgers so effective during those 2 minutes? Because he is playing with urgency and a bit more reckless IMO. Sure, the defense is playing a bit softer, knowing what is coming, but it still works. The Packers first drive of the game last night, although it failed in the red zone, was played at a quicker pace and it worked. Then what did they do? They went back to huddling up for a good portion of the rest of the half.

I would like to see the Packers come out against Miami with the attitude of "we don't have this game won, just because we have #12". Play like you have to for 4 quarters to win games.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our offense is underperforming. Honestly I'm now not sure even if AR12 had the ball in last 2 min against the Rams we'd have won. MM would be calling run game.

We have individual playmakers but as unit offense still stinks. We talk about so many options for Rodgers but none are getting free and we end up hoping player beats player.

And that play calling....I think I could do better.

H

HardRightEdge

Duds: Whichever scout thought that signing Marcades Lewis would be a productive move. Are we absolutely certain that this man actually plays for the Packers?
Lewis has taken 98 offensive snaps out of 560, 17.5%. His low count is 7 (3 different weeks); his high count is 22 in week 6.

https://subscribers.footballguys.com/teams/teampage-gnb-6.php

His special teams snaps have been in the 4 - 8 per game range.

Lewis was brought in at $2.1 mil for 1 year to in-line run block and chip in on special teams. He's here because of Graham's poor blocking. He has not been a productive receiver for many years. You could say he's had only one better than mediocre receiving year in his career.

Last season with Jacksonville he had a 79% snap count with 24 catches on 48 targets for a 50% catch rate and 318 yards. The 5 TDs provided receiving value in the red zone. Jacksonville was a run heavy team, or what stands for one today, but they still passed the ball half the time with 527 attempts, with Lewis having little to show for it, despite the high snap count, other than the TDs. And you would not expect him to be a TE red zone target with Graham around. And that was his best receiving year since 2013 by a narrow margin.

While we might have expected him to sneak out for more than 1 catch on 2 targets from a run look, he was never going to be more than the minor factor in the passing game. I thought they might use him as the lead back (that job went to Kendricks), but given those sets call for an in-line TE he's out there doing that job.

The Graham and Lewis value propositions, for this year anyway, need to be looked at in combination.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Lewis has taken 98 offensive snaps out of 560, 17.5%. His low count is 7 (3 different weeks); his high count is 22 in week 6.

https://subscribers.footballguys.com/teams/teampage-gnb-6.php

His special teams snaps have been in the 4 - 8 per game range.

Lewis was brought in at $2.1 mil for 1 year to in-line run block and chip in on special teams. He's here because of Graham's poor blocking. He has not been a productive receiver for many years. You could say he's had only one better than mediocre receiving year in his career.

Last season with Jacksonville he had a 79% snap count with 24 catches on 48 targets for a 50% catch rate and 318 yards. The 5 TDs provided receiving value in the red zone. Jacksonville was a run heavy team, or what stands for one today, but they still passed the ball half the time with 527 attempts, with Lewis having little to show for it, despite the high snap count, other than the TDs. And you would not expect him to be a TE red zone target with Graham around. And that was his best receiving year since 2013 by a narrow margin.

While we might have expected him to sneak out for more than 1 catch on 2 targets from a run look, he was never going to be more than the minor factor in the passing game. I thought they might use him as the lead back (that job went to Kendricks), but given those sets call for an in-line TE he's out there doing that job.

The Graham and Lewis value propositions, for this year anyway, need to be looked at in combination.

Good stuff and is also why many of us knew they would be keeping Kendricks around. While Kendricks has been a big disappointment, if something happens to Graham, he has to become your go to TE in the passing game.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good stuff and is also why many of us knew they would be keeping Kendricks around. While Kendricks has been a big disappointment, if something happens to Graham, he has to become your go to TE in the passing game.
Speaking of Kendrick’s, what was that lame attempt at a catch last night? He practically kept his elbows and hands down at his waist waiting for he ball to come down.... even though the defensive back had his arms in there too. Has he never heard of putting his hands up and trying to catch the ball at its high point??

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of Kendrick’s, what was that lame attempt at a catch last night? He practically kept his elbows and hands down at his waist waiting for he ball to come down.... even though the defensive back had his arms in there too. Has he never heard of putting his hands up and trying to catch the ball at its high point??

It's kind of incredible to think that that Lance Kendricks is the same guy who was a pass catching machine and athletic freak at UW.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I was really fired up when the Packers signed Kendricks for what seemed like a fair price. However, sadly he has been a disappointment. For awhile I thought it was just lack of opportunities, but as you mentioned, even when he has had them, he hasn't done much with them. Granted, he may be doing a lot more in the run game then we give him credit for, but at $2M/year, I think its safe to say most of us expected a bit more.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was really fired up when the Packers signed Kendricks for what seemed like a fair price. However, sadly he has been a disappointment. For awhile I thought it was just lack of opportunities, but as you mentioned, even when he has had them, he hasn't done much with them. Granted, he may be doing a lot more in the run game then we give him credit for, but at $2M/year, I think its safe to say most of us expected a bit more.
Agreed... back to that catch.. I just didn’t understand what he was doing... The defensive back was playing him so tightly that All Kendricks would have had to do was get his arm in the air... and it would likely have induced a more obvious pass interference call even if he didn’t catch it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agreed... back to that catch.. I just didn’t understand what he was doing... The defensive back was playing him so tightly that All Kendricks would have had to do was get his arm in the air... and it would likely have induced a more obvious pass interference call even if he didn’t catch it.

Maybe we can invoke Captain into some stat checking, but if I had to guess, we have committed far more pass interference penalties than we have been on the receiving end of. Is this a trained "skill" that receivers from other teams are taught, "how to solicit an interference call" and our receivers are not being taught it? These are subtle coaching things, such as punching the ball out of a ball carriers hands, that it seems like we lack and other teams don't. But I acknowledge, my memory might be biased and a bit skewed in the current state of mind that I am viewing this team.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Jones fumble was just an absolute killer. Changed everything. So deflating
I can't believe how the entire team just seemed to give up after his fumble...before that, GB was actually outplaying NE...not a good sign when one turnover can shut down a team like this...