Game 13 - NY Giants - Studs and Duds

Reaction score
This is why the Viking game worries me.
Well it shouldn’t. We’ve beat teams better than MN. I think a lot of yesterday was missing key pieces. Plus going on the road is never easy. We now almost never see our season Starters at CB. Then Savage is just not a tough Safety at all. A 210Lb QB can lay wood on him and he’d break. I guess we were impressed with his speed, but he’s not very good. Good for a 4th-6th Rounder maybe. Terrible considering his draft stock. I’m about 75% we could draft an upgrade for him at 15%-25% his cost

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a problem with the entire strength and conditioning program. The Packers have about 50% more players than the opponent on the weekly injury report and it sure takes "questionable"players a long time to get back. Dexter Lawrence was questionable last week and he suited up for the Giants. While that's only one example, the Packers tepid response to getting players on the field is par for the course for a team that in my opinion is much to soft and passive. Alexander sticks out because he's been listed as questionable for several weeks and than fails to suit up. Jones hasn't had the same pattern but it's more of a team problem than a single player.
Someone said the Packers one of the teams that always overrated their injuries. Why? I do not know. They did this for the better part of the last 20 years or so.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well it shouldn’t. We’ve beat teams better than MN. I think a lot of yesterday was missing key pieces. Plus going on the road is never easy. We now almost never see our season Starters at CB. Then Savage is just not a tough Safety at all. A 210Lb QB can lay wood on him and he’d break. I guess we were impressed with his speed, but he’s not very good. Good for a 4th-6th Rounder maybe. Terrible considering his draft stock. I’m about 75% we could draft an upgrade for him at 15%-25% his cost
Or are there any short term additions we could get at safety? Remember when we got veteran Eugene Robinson? He started for us in 96-97 and then started for Atlanta. 3 SBs in 3 years. Not bad.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice but I am still going to worry about our offense vs. Minny defense since they disguise blitzes as well as anyone and give multiple looks to young QBs and that was the gist of the post I quoted and replied to. Hopefully I am just a worry wart and you are correct.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be honest I didn’t ever really get the vibe that Love was struggling with the defensive scheme or having a tough time picking out the coverage or anything like that last night. Just seemed like he was off, just straight up not making his throws. Not that the defense had him off-kilter but that he just wasn’t accurate last night

Reaction score
To be honest I didn’t ever really get the vibe that Love was struggling with the defensive scheme or having a tough time picking out the coverage or anything like that last night. Just seemed like he was off, just straight up not making his throws. Not that the defense had him off-kilter but that he just wasn’t accurate last night
Well that’s true. I think some was him just not having a very good night. Some maybe schematic. Some he’s operating without arguably WR1, TE1, RB1, OT1.

I will say aside from the uncharacteristic fumble?
Love was
64% passing
218 yards.
1TD 1INT
Really not a good game, but not terrible either. I’d like to offer if Nixon doesn’t fumble that PR we likely still win a close one on the Road.

Last edited:

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well that’s true. I think some was him just not having a very good night. Some maybe schematic. Some he’s operating without arguably WR1, TE1, RB1, OT1.

Love was
64% passing
218 yards.
1TD 1INT
Really not a good game, but not terrible either. I’d like to offer if Nixon doesn’t fumble that PR we likely still win a close one on the Road.
Oh yeah. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t think he was awful. Just kind of pushing back on the idea that Martindale’s complex schemes were the issue and that we should be worried about XYZ team whose DC likes to mix things up a bit too. So I just meant that I didn’t feel like he was being outsmarted or couldn’t keep up with what the defense was throwing at him… just that most his problems last night were IMO that his ball just wasn’t dialed in quite right. It happens.

David Ciembronowicz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Special teams, playcalling by MLF- moving the chains and you run "trick"plays- What?, Love (continues to throw off back foot, out of sync, mistakes, decision making), Run Defense not good, DB's ??? Playoffs were (and are) a pipe dream; 6-7 now, at best 8-9 with split last 4 games, possibly as bad as 7-10..... Carolina "might" be only win TB, MN and Bears all tough games.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Love was
64% passing
218 yards.
1TD 1INT
And if Carlson hits that 3rd FG attempt we go into that last minute with at least a 4 point lead instead of 1.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t think he was awful. Just kind of pushing back on the idea that Martindale’s complex schemes were the issue and that we should be worried about XYZ team whose DC likes to mix things up a bit too. So I just meant that I didn’t feel like he was being outsmarted or couldn’t keep up with what the defense was throwing at him… just that most his problems last night were IMO that his ball just wasn’t dialed in quite right. It happens.
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss what the Giants were doing. The Giants played well, they deserved to win. Teams don't exist in a vacuum, it takes two to tango.

Reaction score
Or are there any short term additions we could get at safety? Remember when we got veteran Eugene Robinson? He started for us in 96-97 and then started for Atlanta. 3 SBs in 3 years. Not bad.
Do you mean this season or in general (2024)?
I guess this season we look at 4 games and my guess is we want to give our current guys maximum opportunities to see what we have going into next season.

I really think we need to find a another veteran version of young Amos like we did 4 years ago and for similar $$
Then that takes pressure off needing to draft a Safety high if one isn’t there. You can possibly address it in Rounds 3-6 etc. If we don’t go FA I think it needs to be addressed Rd1-2 or Rd3 at latest

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We got torn up for 200+ on the ground again. This was a game Barry 100% knew that they’d run it at us because we suck against the Run. Also it’s well known that Devito was a very mobile QB and he’s actually a good backup who’s pretty accurate in the short-medium game.

Barry gets a Dud from me because he allowed near 400 yards of opponent Offense and more than 50% of that was in the ground. We can’t continue to do that and it’s blatantly obvious he isn’t capable of fielding even a top 16 Run D when he knows it’s coming. Yes we’re top 10 area in scoring, but with the resources we’ve poured into D that’s a minimum expectation.
Just to add that most of Devito's runs were right up the middle. It seems to me that Barry could have noticed that and either talk with the D line about it or have a linebacker looking for it. But Devito threw the ball really well. After a few bad throws at the start; he started hitting his receivers with spirals.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you mean this season or in general (2024)?
I guess this season we look at 4 games and my guess is we want to give our current guys maximum opportunities to see what we have going into next season.

I really think we need to find a another veteran version of young Amos like we did 4 years ago and for similar $$
Then that takes pressure off needing to draft a Safety high if one isn’t there. You can possibly address it in Rounds 3-6 etc. If we don’t go FA I think it needs to be addressed Rd1-2 or Rd3 at latest
2024. Not much you can do now.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a problem with the entire strength and conditioning program. The Packers have about 50% more players than the opponent on the weekly injury report and it sure takes "questionable"players a long time to get back. Dexter Lawrence was questionable last week and he suited up for the Giants. While that's only one example, the Packers tepid response to getting players on the field is par for the course for a team that in my opinion is much to soft and passive. Alexander sticks out because he's been listed as questionable for several weeks and than fails to suit up. Jones hasn't had the same pattern but it's more of a team problem than a single player.
So then why single out Jaire? He has a shoulder injury. Not sure if you've ever had one but they limit your range of motion. Having full range of motion in the shoulders is critical for a defensive back. If he reaches up high to make a play on the ball he has a high chance of re-injury. If your beef is with the S&C staff, fine, put the blame where it belongs, but there is absolutely nothing they can do to prevent impact injuries.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone said the Packers one of the teams that always overrated their injuries. Why? I do not know. They did this for the better part of the last 20 years or so.

Who does the final signoffs on the injury list? Is it McKenzie? Because, to me, he seems very risk adverse/conservative in bringing players back and would tend to explain more why the Packers injury report list seems to be expanded on a weekly basis vs other teams and generally slower to bring guys back.

Last edited:

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Not a drop. First, I think if they had called it a catch and TD, it would have stood on review. Second, he didn't drop it anyway. It was stripped by the defender.
I agree it should have stood as a TD. However, they did review it and confirmed it as incomplete.

Sorry, misread that. Yes, it would have stood and should have been overturned.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This is my take on Football and Injuries.

Over the last 20+ years, players have become bigger, faster and stronger. With that, you have muscles, tendons and bones that are being subjected to the stress of not just the players own bodies, but those coming in contact with it. I also think that players are less inclined to "gut it out" and play with injuries. Teams/Trainers seem to be more cautious about holding injured players out. Most definitely the case with concussions, which I agree with.

I also think some of these guys have made bank and know that if they never play another down of football, they are set for life. Maybe getting back onto the field too quickly, is a little less important to them. Yeah I said it, money has made some players softer.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It certainly didn't help, but they muffed a punt too. Same with the field goals. Each of us flubbed a return, each of us missed a kick.

As bad as those situations were, we were even with the Giants.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So…fact you said again admits they hadn’t been. Some of u live for the misery.

The defense and special teams are bad (AGAIN). You can bury your head in the sand and avoid the statistical facts if you wish. I won't *shrug*

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense and special teams are bad (AGAIN). You can bury your head in the sand and avoid the statistical facts if you wish. I won't *shrug*
Nothing I stated ignored the fact that the STs was arguably the worst phase or aspect of the night we just had at Metlife.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It certainly didn't help, but they muffed a punt too. Same with the field goals. Each of us flubbed a return, each of us missed a kick.

As bad as those situations were, we were even with the Giants.
It was not a horrific performance and certainly not good enough to win. And even if the Giants and Devito played one of their best games of the season this was still a weak opponent no better than 4 of the teams that beat us early in the season. Although we made plenty of careless mistakes the Giants did also. They had costly penalties. They missed a FG just like Carlson. They fumbled on what could have been their dagger drive. They muffed a punt also. In total the difference was 1 more turnover and a stop on the 2 pointer. The Giants are a team that was annihilated not once but twice by the Cowboys this season. This should have been a Packer win even if by a small margin.