Studs n duds chargers

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you throw an incomplete pass on third down, you allow them to keep their last timeout. If you take away that timeout, it limits their playbook, making it easier to defend on their last drive.

I suspect if he HAD done what you suggest and the result was an incomplete pass, you wouldn't be defending that call, especially if the Chargers ended up using that timeout to stop the clock with 2 seconds left to tie the game with a FG.

You basically criticizing him for making the prudent decision rather than taking a pointless gamble.
We had to stop them anyway and that included them dropping a long pass that put them in field goal range. I say try and put the game away. Probably best to pass on 2nd down imho.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I loved that Doubs TD. He just snatched it out of the air with two strong hands and brought it into his body before the defender could react. Not the first time he has done that either. And he broke off the pattern and went deep when it opened up. All of our receivers took a big step forward today (along with Love). Or was it SD pass D?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
What about Wicks gives you that impression? I'd go with Reed. He's on pace to put up the best rookie performance we've seen in decades.

Reed is very good. He could end up being better. But Wicks has the combination of size, route savvy, and ability at the LOS that I think he could become a complete receiver. It’s apples and oranges. They’re very different styles.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I loved that Doubs TD. He just snatched it out of the air with two strong hands and brought it into his body before the defender could react. Not the first time he has done that either. And he broke off the pattern and went deep when it opened up. All of our receivers took a big step forward today (along with Love). Or was it SD pass D?
The qb and receivers had to be on same page and execute the play.

With that said. SD defense is horrible

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reed is very good. He could end up being better. But Wicks has the combination of size, route savvy, and ability at the LOS that I think he could become a complete receiver.
That may be, but it hasn't manifested itself in terms of production to this point. He has what, 16 catches or maybe 17 so far?

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of our receivers took a big step forward today (along with Love). Or was it SD pass D?
Both. But even with the worst passing defense, you'd expect them not to give up over 270 yards to a bunch of rookies.

Reaction score
But Wicks has the combination of size, route savvy, and ability at the LOS that I think he could become a complete receiver.
Yeah. He displayed that for the Cavaliers in 2021
1200+ yards 21.1 per and 9TD. Pretty much dominated his ACC opponents in his only full season (2021). That’s basically Terry MCLaurin type college #’s

Wicks is another example of what happened to Love. After 6 years of continuity, the Cavaliers moved on with a New Head Coach, OC etc after a pedestrian season. Wicks still finished college respectable
90/1,694 18.8 per 12 TD’s in basically 2 seasons.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need a new kicker.. he has but them in bad predicaments.
I really like wicks it’s nice to see love have a game with no ints still needs to work on accuracy. I also wish they would draw up some runs for love he can move.
My dud besides Carlson is lafluer. I realize we won the game but he should have let love throw the ball on third down when statistically having the best game. Take the game yourself…
I agree with that. Now if we have a 4-7 point lead maybe. But unlike some of the earlier games we were facing a not so good secondary in the Chargers. Look at the holes that left our receivers open most of the day. And unlike the Ram team of a few weeks ago we were giving the ball to a top QB with a powerful passing attack. So the % was to go for the pass and kneel. Recall in 2014 when we led the Pats 26-21 with 2:00 to go. 3rd and about 6 near midfield and MM lets Rodgers throw to Cobb and we kneel.
As far as the kicker missing the 52 yarder I am not so troubled. But missing a crucial PAT two weeks in a row bothers me. When Crosby was in his early years the extra point was still 20 yards. Yet, he missed some FGs at crunch time before getting more consistent. I think Carlson has a confidence issue right now.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We had to stop them anyway and that included them dropping a long pass that put them in field goal range. I say try and put the game away. Probably best to pass on 2nd down imho.
Actually, the Chargers should have tied or beat us when they got that ball back. That long pass down the sideline should easily have been a catch and a long gain. MLF had more faith in his D than his O? And then our punter puts it in the end zone instead of dropping it at the 10.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That may be, but it hasn't manifested itself in terms of production to this point. He has what, 16 catches or maybe 17 so far?

Also you have to look at how short changed he of course started the year in snaps.

He come has routinely separated and found soft spots in coverage I argue more than anyone in GB this year.

This WR room is so young, yet multiple of them are growing immensely. Honestly, that room is beginning to get really interesting.

Reaction score
Obviously this was against a lower echelon defense. However this for me was a good sample of how our O will be operating after gaining another season+ of experience, but against a more average quality Defense.

Looking specifically at this Offense, We can begin to see where our focus should be in acquiring help. Imagine getting a Deebo type impact player and a few upgrades on OL. That’s very possible as early as this March. We have $ to spend and we have a pretty good array of draft equity.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
But missing a crucial PAT two weeks in a row bothers me.
1 week in a row. I won't pin bad blocking on the blocked XP on the kicker.
And then our punter puts it in the end zone instead of dropping it at the 10.
Best PR in the league this season. I would place it for no return. What ever happened to coffin corner kicks?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously this was against a lower echelon defense. However this for me was a good sample of how our O will be operating after gaining another season+ of experience, but against a more average quality Defense.

Looking specifically at this Offense, We can begin to see where our focus should be in acquiring help. Imagine getting a Deebo type impact player and a few upgrades on OL. That’s very possible as early as this March. We have $ to spend and we have a pretty good array of draft equity.

I honestly think a deebo type player isn’t what they need, honestly Reed is used in a very similar fashion more and more and I think Sunday was an evolution of that.

Now I wouldn’t be against it but truthfully o am not sure the WR is where skill position wise I’m worried most as it all progresses more and more.

Bowers is a legit all purpose TE that is blue chip caliber he would be the hardest skill position pass early and is a position I worry more about since we lose Deguara (not massive loss at this point) and Kraft is slowly progressing and last game arguable was his best in blocking.

I also put RB above as Jones is hitting the age wall and fiscally is contract is nuts, Dillon is a RB2 at best and I worry won’t sign for that though and Goodson and Wilson both will be coming off injury.

I look at WR as mid draft on a high single trait guy you see growth in….like a Tory Horton from CSU or maybe that Louisville kid that is escaping me at the moment.

I do though like you said see us being minimal spenders in FA, we’ve swallowed one big fiscal pill but if Bakh and Jones are both done, we may as any to be smart and not deplete it all for a carry over into the post 2024 time frame when a TON of team decisions come to a head.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barely into the film watch and dude….one play Jayden backside responsible for Mack and does it.

Another play Heath role is to assist chip on Mack and then route…lays Mack down…..

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1 week in a row. I won't pin bad blocking on the blocked XP on the kicker.

Best PR in the league this season. I would place it for no return. What ever happened to coffin corner kicks?
Yes, it was blocked last week. Not his fault.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds good on paper, but if you fail on that gamble, you greatly increase their options and chances of success by leaving a timeout in their pocket.
Well, your not going to change your mind. But they have to stop them anyway. One more time out or not. So put the game away.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, your not going to change your mind. But they have to stop them anyway. One more time out or not. So put the game away.
Deplete their timeouts and limit their playbook. Makes it a lot easier to make that stop.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deplete their timeouts and limit their playbook. Makes it a lot easier to make that stop.
So you expect them to run with their extra time-out? Limit their playbook? You don't realize they are going to pass? Their objective is to get to the 35. They don't run out of time. They run out of downs.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you expect them to run with their extra time-out? Limit their playbook? You don't realize they are going to pass? Their objective is to get to the 35. They don't run out of time. They run out of downs.
It's a lot harder to get inside the 35 yard line and get your kick team on the field without that timeout. It can be the difference in having the whole field to throw at with 10 seconds left and 15 yards to go for FG range and having to either be limited to throwing at the sidelines or trying a Hail Mary.

But I digress. Despite seeing what you suggest backfiring dozens of times over 55 years of watching thousands of football games, I'll concede to your greater wisdom on the matter. Not sure what got into me. My apologies, sir.