MM is just about on the hot seat

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
At this point, I think it is much more likely that MM gets "Coach of the Year" honors than to get fired.
I don't think he deserves either.

In the end, he's a "meh" coach heading the team through an emotional season. His pitfalls hurt us at times this season, his strengths are why we are where we are.

Honestly, if he's bad, it's going to take a wasted season with healthy players to get rid of him. If he's good, he'll likely have a Super Bowl ring in the next few years. Here's to hoping it's the latter.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hope MM starts calling smart games. I really do.

It would be the easiest solution. Rodgers has been in his system for 5 yeasrs, he wouldn't have to adapt to a new season.

I really hope that, with everyone healthy, with probably a new OL coach and ST coach, MM is good enough to win a SB.

TampaPacMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've had it with McCarthy! It's obvious he's incapable of taking this team to the next level. I don't want to hear about injuries! Every NFL team has to deal with adversity during the course of a season, the playoff teams are the ones who are able to overcome these hurdles. Last week debacle in Detroit was one of the most catastrophic regular season losses the Packers have suffered in years! We're talking about the Lions here, one of the most pathetic franchises in the modern history of the NFL. They've one exactly twenty games since the start of the 2005 season! Yet, with with their season on the line the Packers were unable to produce even one touchdown against this joke of a team in order to save their season. McCarthy's play-calling was atrocious, and the decision to go deep on 4 and 1, was unforgiveable! I don't think the Packers are going to win another game this year, and if that happens I believe that both McCarthy and Thompson should be fired!

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I don't think the Packers are going to win another game this year,

"May I present exhibit A to the jury.... it seems as though we have a Debbie Downer on our hands... and I ask..What shall we do with the said complaintant?..."

lol.. i'm just teasing TPM.. but seriously.. thats totally pulling the plug on the season eh? Its going to be just fine I'm sure. The Lions game.. (STILL haven't seen it) was a tragic fluke,... and hopefully the next win will change your mind! There is still hope! :friends:

erik_m_vos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we just need a new strength and conditioning coach due to all these injuries! lol and special teams coach, our special teams BLOW

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GreenGoldAngel...I have not ever watched from front to back a single game by Lombardi, you got me there...there's a good chance you'd get along great w/ my step dad, whose favorite player is Bart Starr...

Look, at times this season I have praised MM, but right now I'm not a fan BUT

Usually MM comes through after a bad loss like this, As much as I've been complaining about MM, I'm expecting him to call one of his best games EVER...he tends to have better results after horrible losses

potential to win the game with these possibilities, we may have a shot

1. he can't be as loose of a playcaller w/o Rodgers
  2. he's going to call the highest % plays in our offense for flynn
  3. he's going to have a gadget play that hopefully will be worthwhile
  4. he's going to fearlessly throw the challenge flag
  5. the Pats D SUckS!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So he was horrible when they went 13-3, and horrible when went 11-5

For me I cant look at just a hand full of plays ( with hind sight mixed in) and say he is bad..

People bring up the 4th and 1 play...For me it was a perfect call, they werent expecting that...Then the defender couldnt cover Jennings...Flynn threw bad pass, Flynn throws it correctly, we win..

Just like Rodgers bad pass in the OT Arizona game, he hits WIDE OPEN Jennings game over..

But since 2 different q/b dont make the throws we look back and nit pick MM play calling, but refuse to look at the bad throws by the q/b

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For me I cant look at just a hand full of plays ( with hind sight mixed in) and say he is bad..

People bring up the 4th and 1 play...For me it was a perfect call, they werent expecting that...Then the defender couldnt cover Jennings...Flynn threw bad pass, Flynn throws it correctly, we win..

Just like Rodgers bad pass in the OT Arizona game, he hits WIDE OPEN Jennings game over..

But since 2 different q/b dont make the throws we look back and nit pick MM play calling, but refuse to look at the bad throws by the q/b

It's not one play that decides the Coaches report card in a game...it's the overall performance in a game, mistakes, bad play, penalties, bad ST play, poor defense...that's the responsibility of a HEADCOACH...I'm with you...players need to respond and produce, but it's not like MM is not to blame at all, it's his team, I just don't feel like he's all over all 3 phases of the game while in a game & too focused on play calling the offense...

when Flynn drove down the field to have a chance to score a TD, it appeared to me that the PRIMARY receiver (flynn's first look) was to run a post or slant (I can't remember at the moment) somewhere around the middle of the field, that's a very tough throw to make with not much open space in a short field, that's a throw that Rodgers probably could make, but why is Flynn getting that call? Maybe MM didn't want to adjust to Flynn's ability and call something with less risk, why not have a TE run a delayed quick curl route and let him YAC it to the ENDZONE, just something that would allow a PLAYMAKER to make the play NOT FLYNN.........I'm no expert, but failing to score when your that close to the EZ is all on the playcalling IMO

as far as the 4th & 1 play, yes it was unpredictable, but it was highly un-probable w/ Matt Flynn a guy that has NEVER thrown a TD in his career...your asking him to do something Favre-esque

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not talking about 2007 or 2009...I'm talking about 2010...When I say MM is just about on the HOTSEAT, I really don't recall saying FIRE MM...as a fan he's on my HOTSEAT & I'm crying out my diapproval, I'm tired of the wasted drives & the crap playcalling......that's what I feel, I'm not trying to change your mind about him, You like him then great for you...I don't at the moment, he calls a good game against the PATS, I might change my mind a little, b/c I'm a fan with an opinion, just like you longtimefan...I'm voicing my displeasure in losing to one of the worst teams in FB,

Why did we lose the game LONGTIMEFAN?...

NONE of us are experts & even the experts aren't experts

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not one play that decides the Coaches report card in a game...it's the overall performance in a game, mistakes, bad play, penalties, bad ST play, poor defense...that's the responsibility of a HEADCOACH...I'm with you...players need to respond and produce, but it's not like MM is not to blame at all, it's his team, I just don't feel like he's all over all 3 phases of the game while in a game & too focused on play calling the offense...

as far as the 4th & 1 play, yes it was unpredictable, but it was highly un-probable w/ Matt Flynn a guy that has NEVER thrown a TD in his career...your asking him to do something Favre-esque

Then where the **** are there threads *****ing about Flynn or Rodgers or Jennings missing the plays they should have made?? They get PAID to make those plays yet they FAILED..

I am TIRED of people blaming MM for a poor game plan, when we have the players dropping a SURE TD, yet no one makes a thread whinning about that..

No one made is making a big deal about Flynn missing the throw only whinning about MM...If Flynn makes the throw that he is paid to do, we win..

No one made a big deal of Rodgers missing wide open Jennings in over time vs Cards..Rodgers makes that throw he is paid to do, we win..

Why is it that every time there is a loss we have people *****ing that MM needs to be fired, or the RB sucks or the line sucks...But Rodgers, Jennings dont get mentioned?

Can someone please explain that to me?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then where the **** are there threads *****ing about Flynn or Rodgers or Jennings missing the plays they should have made?? They get PAID to make those plays yet they FAILED..

I am TIRED of people blaming MM for a poor game plan, when we have the players dropping a SURE TD, yet no one makes a thread whinning about that..

No one made is making a big deal about Flynn missing the throw only whinning about MM...If Flynn makes the throw that he is paid to do, we win..

No one made a big deal of Rodgers missing wide open Jennings in over time vs Cards..Rodgers makes that throw he is paid to do, we win..

Why is it that every time there is a loss we have people *****ing that MM needs to be fired, or the RB sucks or the line sucks...But Rodgers, Jennings dont get mentioned?

The Voice of Reason!!! Thanks for that post Longtime!!! It's easy to just blame the coach and overlook all the other missed plays that had nothing to do with coaching and everything to do with a player(s) missing plays.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Because every team has players missing plays. The Lions sure had a lot of missed plays.

Still, with all those missed plays, and all the injuries, and even with Matt Flynn, we were still the clearcut better team...

I for sure didn't blame MM on the loss against Atlanta. He could've called a better game, but he didn't call a bad game.

Against the Lions? Not so much.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score

I don't know about anyone else, but I just find it hard to blame Rodgers for anything. Its completely irrational, but, I look up to the guy as the one player on this team who can do no wrong. It's the most homerish thing, but you gotta have blind faith in someone, and mines in Rodgers.

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Because the MM called offensive put up 3 points against one of the worst teams in football...that's why

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score

there were, they were posted by packerbacker & some other guy that couldn't stop hating Rodgers...from what I remember they were banned, no?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Because every team has players missing plays. The Lions sure had a lot of missed plays.

Still, with all those missed plays, and all the injuries, and even with Matt Flynn, we were still the clearcut better team...

I for sure didn't blame MM on the loss against Atlanta. He could've called a better game, but he didn't call a bad game.

Against the Lions? Not so much.

Still doesnt answer my question

My guess is that people are okay with players making mistakes, even if they have more then a few in one game..over throw a wide open wr, drop a pass..Its okay cuz they are allowed to make mistakes sense not everyone is perfect..

Us posters do not know exactly WHY plays are called at certain times..But MM isnt allowed to make ANY mistake, he is suppose to be perfect...each and every call he makes..

Not just THIS forum but all forums its that way, and its just asinine to me

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Because the MM called offensive put up 3 points against one of the worst teams in football...that's why

A dropped pass by Jennings, 6 points (not inlcuding the extra points) ,a int pass by Flyyn possible another 6 or at least 3..

Then add in the over thrown ball by Flynn, another 6 points

Look I'm not saying MM called it perfect, but people are forgetting the 15 points players screwed up on and turn a blind eye to

Final score if the players made those easy plays would been 20-7 at least.... maybe 24-7

Look different now???

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
there were, they were posted by packerbacker & some other guy that couldn't stop hating Rodgers...from what I remember they were banned, no?

Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum - View Profile: realpackerbacker

Him? He isnt banned..He got a 7 day ban..But not for hating Rodgers, he was trolling with ridiculous posts

And this is the type of stuff he said, and if you agree with it then I have you pegged wrong

When I see weaknesses in my teams I want them removed and upgraded ASAP...before they can be exposed. Rodgers and Thompson are the two longest-standing weakneses this team has.
No...trade him, Rodgers and Thompson to Buffalo for a waterboy to be named later.

Yeah what were we thinking banning a guy that says Rodgers should be traded for a water boy, he clearly was not a troll

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Regarding the 4th and 1 bomb, just because it would've worked if Flynn hits the throw doesn't mean it was the right call. Get the 1st down, then worry about the end zone.

The rest of the game, LT's right. Players missed opportunities. Especially the Jennings drop-to-INT.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Regarding the 4th and 1 bomb, just because it would've worked if Flynn hits the throw doesn't mean it was the right call. .

I hated the call, a roll out for Matts best side, or a screen would been better for me..

But if Matt does make that throw, who would be crying for MM to be fired?

I think a week of prep and MM able to game plan for Matts stronger abilities will help this game

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I hated the call, a roll out for Matts best side, or a screen would been better for me..

But if Matt does make that throw, who would be crying for MM to be fired?

I think a week of prep and MM able to game plan for Matts stronger abilities will help this game

You're right that if Matt hits that throw we'd probably have 20 different threads proclaiming how great a call that was and how McCarthy is awesome. Hindsight's always 20/20, though, and that's why we get people calling for his head.

I don't agree with the call, but I hardly think he should be in any danger of losing his job because of it. As I've said before, I think he's closer to Coach of the Year because of injuries than he is to the hot seat.

And I also agree with your last point, I think Flynn will be better this week. I still don't think it'll be enough to win, but I do think he'll be better.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You're right that if Matt hits that throw we'd probably have 20 different threads proclaiming how great a call that was and how McCarthy is awesome. Hindsight's always 20/20, though, and that's why we get people calling for his head.

I don't agree with the call, but I hardly think he should be in any danger of losing his job because of it. As I've said before, I think he's closer to Coach of the Year because of injuries than he is to the hot seat.

And I also agree with your last point, I think Flynn will be better this week. I still don't think it'll be enough to win, but I do think he'll be better.

Very well said

TampaPacMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not being a "debbie downer", I'm just being realistic. With Flynn at quarterback the Packers have about as much chance of winning in New England, as I do of winning the lottery. Next week they host a Giants team that's battling for a division title, and they close against a Bears team that will have already clinched the division title, and may rest some starters, so the Packers have a chance of winning that game. 9-7 in a year in which many of us felt the team had super bowl potential. I've been an avid follower of this team for forty-five years, and with the exception of the 1983 season, I can't think of a year that's been more of such an emotional roller coaster.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bleh, Giants are overrated in my book. They're also known for choking toward the stretch (even the SB year they didn't finish the reg season that strong). We should be 10-6 at least. Unfortunately, that might not be enough for the playoffs this season (While 7-9 in the NFC West is /: ).

Members online

Latest posts