MM is just about on the hot seat

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Uh... no. Sorry. Another knee-jerk. Teams that start over with a new coach every 4 or 5 years don't generally go anywhere.

If you've got such a man crush on BeliCHEAT, why are you here?

He will be the guy that wont post if the Packers win

Recall 08? we play Indy at home, no one gives us a shot..

We smoked them

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He wants the coaches named lol

I promised to my friends that what they told me was off-the-record. Of course the offensive coach (and he was offensive to me) I saw drinking was a personal observation. I was kind of jealous because he never had to buy a drink because everyone wanted to suck up to him. But, I just feel uncomfortable naming someone. Sorry.

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He will be the guy that wont post if the Packers win

Recall 08? we play Indy at home, no one gives us a shot..

We smoked them

Longtimefan, are you kidding me? I'm upset and venting clearly & I am completely calling out MM...I'm still a packers fan, so don't try and question that with me...I want to beat the Pats, I despise the Pats, I'm a NEWYORK born citizen and I have a generic hatred for most if not all Philly & Boston teams, I would love to see the Pats get beat by us, you kidding me? I live in NJ us NJians despise all that is boston...I still can't deny the fact that Belichick is a guy that knows how to win, that's what I'm saying

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope your bad stomach is flu or something like that. The Packers aren't worth getting sick over.

You do realize that Belichick was the head coach in Cleveland for 5 years and was fired .. even the great BB has dealt with adversity.

As far as the Patriots go, the reason they are competitive every year is they have a great QB and they consistently use a model for building their team that has been proven to work better than any other. That model includes building through the draft, not overpaying for players, letting guys go at the right time, and making moves that provide the most value.

This is also the exact blueprint being used in GB. We have a great QB in Aaron Rodgers - though still not up to Brady caliber.

Thompson builds the Packers through the draft, does not overpay (ie Ahman Green, Aaron Kampman), lets guys go at the right time (Favre), and makes moves for value (trades down when it makes sense).

I don't know yet if MM can win a Super Bowl. He runs a good organization, hires mostly good assistant coaches, develops players well. He has taken GB to the NFC Championship game. But, I would agree he needs to develop his game-management skills. Hopefully, he can get this right or he probably won't last too many more years. Ted has proven he acts quickly to correct mistakes (Mike Sherman, Brian Brohm to name a few).

You have some great points in your post & I agree that TT has done a fine job building a competitive team...but, I'm completely calling it MM, he needs to let someone else just focus on the offense-play-calling-duties...he needs to RUN an entire team, not just the OFFENSE. I truly believe that would benefit the team greatly...you think Rex Ryan allowed his emotions to get in the way against the PATS, I think he did, he didn't know when to challenge, and he got torched by brady

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uh... no. Sorry. Another knee-jerk. Teams that start over with a new coach every 4 or 5 years don't generally go anywhere.

If you've got such a man crush on BeliCHEAT, why are you here?

To answer your question why do I post here...ANSWER: I'm very passionate about the Packers, they are my favorite team in all of sports...if I see something I don't like then I post about it to vent out my frustration, whether I'm wrong or right, it is my right and privilege to post on this forum whenever I have something I want to share with other Packer fans, this is why I post here

1 I can give a guy credit as much as I despise the Pats...so relax with those knee-jerks..

2 This is the coaches that GENERALLY don't go anywhere when they take over a team, since you didn't give me any examples, here are some, but not all of current coaches that had success within 2 years of taking over a team and a little more

Mike Tomlin - won a superbowl in his 2nd year
Norv Turner - has made it to at least divisional playoffs every year so far
Rex Ryan - first year afc championship loss,2nd year one of the best records in the afc
Belichick- 2nd, 4th, & 5th year SUPERBOWL WINS & 8th year LOSS to the NYG in SB
Ken Wisenhunt - 2nd year lost in superbowl
Sparano - first year made playoffs
John Harbaugh - loss in championship game, lost in divional round, probably gonna make it again this year (third year)
Jim Caldwell - first year superbowl loss
Todd Haley - current 2nd year leading div
Tom Coughlin - currently in his 7th season in NY, 5 playoff appearances including SB victory, 2nd year made playoffs
Mike McCarthy - championship game loss in year 2, year 4 sickening loss to the cards
Mike Smith - first year made playoffs, 3rd year (this year, leading NFC)
Sean Payton - first year championship game Loss to bears in '06 & year 4 WON superbowl

and I might have missed some, but I have just listed 13 CURRENT HC's that all have had success early in their HC career witht their CURRENT teams........MM out, you wouldn't feel good about DOM CAPERS?

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was tough losing to the lions,but I have to ask those who are ready to throw M.M under the bus because of his play calling he didn't ask A-rod to keep running with the ball the other coaches take the blame,in how the o-line preformed,but the players have to be accountable too.The jets are worse off than we are if they don't win out,at least we have a glimmer of hope,I know some are upset with Quraless and some other players but when you don't play much and I also know that they get big bucks to play no excuse,to put it in a nut shell,the team as a whole has been good with who they have,even Flynn look at the vikes game last night what a blunder Jackson running into Peterson Jackson in and out of the game,what a mess I'm glad to be a packer fan with players that haven't had much time on the field and were 8-5 some of the main ingredients are missing,so you improvise and some times it works.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we win 2 of the last 3 games and win the division, MM will be a serious coach of the year candidate.

But we still need an offensive coach who knows the intricacies of the zone blocking scheme, if that is still what the head coach wants to use. The current staff is not able to teach the linemen how, or who to block on any given play regardless of the scheme being used. It's either that or every lineman TT has drafted is a very poor athlete, which I don't believe.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
. . . ,in how the o-line preformed,but the players have to be accountable too. . . .

Thats true, however, when you see the same issues over and over again, the problem has to be elevated. Here are the potential issues:

1. Players are below average (TT responsibility)
2. The players are not developing (OL coach)
3. The scheme sucks (OC)
4. Game plan sucks (OC, HC, and OL Coach)
5. Players are not prepared (OL Coach)

Personally, I really think the limiting factor is the OL coach. I see other teams doing more with less talent.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If we win 2 of the last 3 games and win the division, MM will be a serious coach of the year candidate.

But we still need an offensive coach who knows the intricacies of the zone blocking scheme, if that is still what the head coach wants to use. The current staff is not able to teach the linemen how, or who to block on any given play regardless of the scheme being used. It's either that or every lineman TT has drafted is a very poor athlete, which I don't believe.

A number of years ago we imported the zone blocking scheme from Denver because it was so effective against us. What happened, do we give up on it?

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Play calling is an issue....

If you guys wanna blame the OLine thats fine. But how many times has Rodgers had time in the pocket.... AND STILL RAN?!? Those receivers couldn't get open!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats true, however, when you see the same issues over and over again, the problem has to be elevated. Here are the potential issues:

1. Players are below average (TT responsibility)
2. The players are not developing (OL coach)
3. The scheme sucks (OC)
4. Game plan sucks (OC, HC, and OL Coach)
5. Players are not prepared (OL Coach)

Personally, I really think the limiting factor is the OL coach. I see other teams doing more with less talent.

1- how many are 2nd or 3rd stringers?
2- see above
3- I agree, I hate the run game
4- it only sucks when we lose, but looks awesome when we win by 20+
5-Give us an example

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree MM has to go. No excuse to lose to the Lions.....3 friggin points???? Keep Dom Capers and get an offensive mind in here.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
2 This is the coaches that GENERALLY don't go anywhere when they take over a team, since you didn't give me any examples, here are some, but not all of current coaches that had success within 2 years of taking over a team and a little more

Mike Tomlin - won a superbowl in his 2nd year
Norv Turner - has made it to at least divisional playoffs every year so far
Rex Ryan - first year afc championship loss,2nd year one of the best records in the afc
Belichick- 2nd, 4th, & 5th year SUPERBOWL WINS & 8th year LOSS to the NYG in SB
Ken Wisenhunt - 2nd year lost in superbowl
Sparano - first year made playoffs
John Harbaugh - loss in championship game, lost in divional round, probably gonna make it again this year (third year)
Jim Caldwell - first year superbowl loss
Todd Haley - current 2nd year leading div
Tom Coughlin - currently in his 7th season in NY, 5 playoff appearances including SB victory, 2nd year made playoffs
Mike McCarthy - championship game loss in year 2, year 4 sickening loss to the cards
Mike Smith - first year made playoffs, 3rd year (this year, leading NFC)
Sean Payton - first year championship game Loss to bears in '06 & year 4 WON superbowl

and I might have missed some, but I have just listed 13 CURRENT HC's that all have had success early in their HC career witht their CURRENT teams........MM out, you wouldn't feel good about DOM CAPERS?

Mike Tomlin - studied with Bill Cowher and took over a team ready to go.

Belichick- 2nd, 4th, & 5th year SUPERBOWL WINS & 8th year LOSS to the NYG in SB ..As others have pointed out..Tell us aobut his Cleveland years too

Ken Wisenhunt - 2nd year lost in superbowl...
And this year with out key players from that SB team, whats his record?

Jim Caldwell - first year superbowl loss...
Again not his real team he took over for Tony...This year with all the injuries whats the record?

Sean Payton - first year championship game Loss to bears in '06 & year 4 WON superbowl...Why not bring out the record in between 06 and 09?

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You ask any HC about injuries and they will all tell you it's no excuse...we have proven all season we can win despite the injuries so I don't want to hear that...

Then why are you here? You know... since you've got it all figured out and all?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1- how many are 2nd or 3rd stringers?
2- see above
3- I agree, I hate the run game
4- it only sucks when we lose, but looks awesome when we win by 20+
5-Give us an example
Maybe you misunderstood my post, or more likely I wasn't more clear.

I was saying those are all of the possible reasons why our run games sucks.

Of those I think it is mostly #5 and some of #2, the OL players are not prepared nor being developed. Getting man handled by the DL of Detroit on most plays, there is definitely something wrong.

My evidence? Process of elimination.

1. Players below Average. I think all the OL players have the physical tools to succeed. What Clifton lacks in the physical, he should make up for in experience. TT has done okay here.
2. Developing players: Campen stated that there were many fundamental issues related to the poor performance including footwork and pad level. He isn't teaching them the fundamentals such that it is sinking in.
3. Scheme - we have one of the more potent offenses and have done pretty good at times running.
4. Game Plan - possible
5. Players not prepared. Lots of plays they just weren't effective blocking. On one play there were 3 guys blocking one DL and a one on one situation down the line led to a sack. They didn't appear to me to be a cohesive group working together.

Therefore, I came to the conclusion that changing the OL coach is the first solution I think should happen to improve the OL performance and the run game.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have just listed 13 CURRENT HC's that all have had success early in their HC career witht their CURRENT teams........MM out, you wouldn't feel good about DOM CAPERS?

Capers is the last guy I would want as a HC. In is 8 years of head coaching, he has had ONE winning season and four seasons with 5 or fewer wins. Remember the Ray Rhodes experiment? Being a great DC doesn't mean you're a great HC. That's also why I don't think we have to worry about losing Capers to some other team. I think he'll be our DC as long as we want him here.

CarolinaPackerFan

Packers fan in Panthers country
Reaction score
I was sitting at work the other day and started thinking.. instead of firing Mike McCarthy, why don't we just relieve him of his play calling duties and hire someone like Mike Leach as Offensive Cord.? I think his scheme he had at Texas Tech would be perfect with our finesse team. Does anybody else think something similar to this would work?

Members online

Latest posts