Is the offence the problem?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Would be interesting to know the difference percentage wise of audibles called in a game like last night by AR as opposed to a home (quiet) surrounding. We all know AR's bread and butter are audibles as well as using his hard count to keep the defense off balance, something I am guessing he loses in a loud stadium on the road.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Play calling had nothing to do with last night. We just got whipped. Plain and simple. This happens in Football sometimes, even to good teams. Our players just didn't show up for whatever reason and the result spoke for itself.

However, with that said, I do feel like we need one more playmaker on offense. We need someone who can "go get it" so to speak.

I don't know why ppl act like Calvin Johnson couldn't be a rental for the rest of the season. If we win a SB all is well...if not? Hey then Jordy is back next year healthy. But it's not unheard of for teams to trade for guys mid season and not resign them after seasons end. Happens all the time.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know why ppl act like Calvin Johnson couldn't be a rental for the rest of the season. If we win a SB all is well...if not? Hey then Jordy is back next year healthy. But it's not unheard of for teams to trade for guys mid season and not resign them after seasons end. Happens all the time.

Calvin Johnson would count $6.6 million against the Packers cap for the rest of the season. Trading for him would diminish the team's chances to re-sign some of their core free agents over the next two years.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calvin Johnson would count $6.6 million against the Packers cap for the rest of the season. Trading for him would diminish the team's chances to re-sign some of their core free agents over the next two years.

Hey if that meant winning a SB then so be it. That's what the draft and Free Agency is for...To add talent and or replace guys.. It's hard to win in this league and winning a SB is even tougher.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps what this team needs most on offense more than a speedy WR is a genuine all-around threat at TE.

I've been saying that since Finley got hurt. Even a speedy athletic big tightend would open things up but for some reason folks are sold on Richard Rogers being the answer. Yea right . How productive has he been?

D

Deleted member 6794

Hey if that meant winning a SB then so be it. That's what the draft and Free Agency is for...To add talent and or replace guys.. It's hard to win in this league and winning a SB is even tougher.

Trading for Calvin doesn't guarantee winning the Super Bowl though.

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
Never once since Aaron Rodgers has become the QB of the Packers have a thought the offence was the problem, we have always kind of relied on the offence to outscore everyone since our defense has never the most amazing thing ever.
This year is a little different, I know we are missing Jordy but the offence just doesn't look right.
does Aaron just look off this season? why is the offence struggling so much?

D

Deleted member 6794

This year is a little different, I know we are missing Jordy but the offence just doesn't look right.
does Aaron just look off this season? why is the offence struggling so much?

There are several reasons why the offense is struggling. Rodgers has looked timid at times and has been way more inaccurate than in previous seasons. Injuries have played a role as well as receivers not getting open, Lacy not breaking any tackles and both tackles allowing too much pressure.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeh, I don't know either. Offense is clearly off, and it has been most of the year.

Eddie isn't running properly. Needs to stay north-south and isn't. Unsure of weight issue. He hasn't yet received any team fines for weight, but he does look a little heavier. I don't think that's the issue though.

Receivers not getting separation. Adams hasn't had much of an opportunity yet, so I withhold judgement there. Jones I can understand as he's never been a separation guy. Cobb, I don't understand. He ought to be producing much more than he is. Richard Rodgers is just a guy. That's always been my stance on him. Same with Bhak for that matter. Rest of O-line looks legit.

Aaron does look to be just off. He's playing efficient and mistake-free for the most part. He always does. He just seems very tentative to me in the pocket. Not used to seeing that out of him.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron does look to be just off. He's playing efficient and mistake-free for the most part. He always does. He just seems very tentative to me in the pocket. Not used to seeing that out of him.

Way too cautious. I know he doesn't like throwing picks, but there were times last night when he needed to take a chance. Holding on to the ball and waiting wasn't working and he failed to adequately adjust.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only that but they really need to have another passing play other than the quick out with 2 receivers blocking play they run way too much
More pick plays more crossing patterns not these 5 second routes that Rodgers have to scramble for ever for the route to open up. That's y Rodgers missed on the route to Cobb that he over threw, that was like 4 second route. So I agree with ya.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trading for Calvin doesn't guarantee winning the Super Bowl though.

Nope and neither does resigning these guys you are referring to either. I get what you're saying tho but if your franchise qb needs weapons you get him weapons... Doesn't have to be CJ but you get the point.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to point at least one finger at Klements for not even coming close lately to maximizing the efficiency of the personnel that he has. No, it's not all his fault, of course.

We've got an MVP quarterback, Pro Bowlers at WR and RB, and the best offensive line we've had in Rodgers' career.

Losing Jordy hurts, of course, but having the 22nd ranked passing offense from this personnel group at this point in the season is unforgivable. They should be much better than this.

What happened to Davante having a big breakout year? What happened to Richard Rodgers as our TE of the future? These are high draft choices from 2014 that we invested top 3 round picks on that we expected to take the next step for us in Jordy's absence. So far, they've failed miserably.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could be possible. But not the Aaron Rodgers who throws for 77 yards in a primetime game.
Imma put it out there I think we need a big name receiver like a Calvin Johnson look what Brady did when he got Moss ijs. I think Calvin would take a cut in pay to get a ring just like moss did. 77 yards was do to receivers not beating man coverage. Getting pressed at the line and can't get separation against a good D.

DON BARRETT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1.EDDIE LACY 25LBS OVERWEIGHT
2.NEED BETTER TE
3.NEED ANOTHER GOOD WR OR 2
4.DEFENSE IS BAD IT REALLY IS- SECONDARY
5.JUST CAME OFF BYE WEEK SO COULD OF BEEN RUSTY WHO KNOWS THEY LOSE TO PANTHERS WE IN TROUBLE.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imma put it out there I think we need a big name receiver like a Calvin Johnson look what Brady did when he got Moss ijs. I think Calvin would take a cut in pay to get a ring just like moss did. 77 yards was do to receivers not beating man coverage. Getting pressed at the line and can't get separation against a good D.

Yep. They think that there has to be some kind of extension given to a guy at years end. I'm sure he'd rather have a SB ring.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yep. They think that there has to be some kind of extension given to a guy at years end. I'm sure he'd rather have a SB ring.

Well, $9 million of Calvin's 2016 salary is guaranteed. If the Packers would trade for him now they would have to pay that money.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'll jump on the Vernon Davis bandwagon. He'd cost almost nothing in terms of a late draft pick and it could pay dividends big time if he can be the guy to stretch the field.

I don't see Richard Rodgers as the guy who can do that. He looks like a career backup TE to me, much like Quarless.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More pick plays more crossing patterns not these 5 second routes that Rodgers have to scramble for ever for the route to open up. That's y Rodgers missed on the route to Cobb that he over threw, that was like 4 second route. So I agree with ya.

Exactly this isn't the same offense we saw in 2011 when we had Finley Nelson Jennings and a still prime James Jones out on the field at the same time with a first year Randall Cobb. We simply do not have the horses to spread the field and win one on one matchups. Also Aaron just doesn't have the confidence that he had in guys like Greg Jennings, Jordy, Drive with the exception of JJ who seems to be the only one he tries to throw to in coverage. Cobb is electric in space and uncovers as well as anyone but he's not as good when teams can focus on him. The scheme needs to work towards creating separation. More small ball with the occasional designed deep ball.

Honestly I say trade for Greg Jennings, he's familiar with the scheme, still runs a great route and has good hands. I think he'd be able to plug in with Aaron Rodgers as well as any receiver likely to be available. Also we could use a TE who can actually attack the seam.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Defense looked good to start the game but then flopped once Sam Shields went down. Casey Hayward was exposed playing outside and Demarious Randall struggled but he just isn't ready yet to play without safety help.

Sam may not be a great cover corner and he relies on his speed too much but when he's playing at his best he can match up one on one with anyone mano a mano island coverage and more than hold his own. This helps us to shift our safeties more towards the middle of the field and towards guys like Randall.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thoughts on the Defense,

1) Nate Palmer has to be the worst starting ILB in the league.
2) Our push in the middle is inconsistent.
3) We need to play Matthews on the edges more against bad O-lines, Raji was walking his man back all night long. Matthews might have capitalized had he been playing the edges more on obvious passing downs.
4) We need Nick Perry to get healthy.
5) More Datone please.
6) Our safeties are solid but not good enough to really make up for deficiencies at Corner AND ILB.
7) Demarious Randall will be a good one but he's very green.
8) Ted Thompson needs to draft more true outside cover corner types, Hyde Hayward and Rollins are all practically the same player, slot guys with limited speed.
9) Gunter is too slow to help us where we're weak right now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts