Is Clay Matthews a Pro Football Hall of Famer?

D

Deleted member 6794

You should know that numbers alone do not measure a player's value. Particularly, you seem to favor sacks as the measure of a linebacker. How many sacks did Derrick Brooks have?

Brooks was an off-ball linebacker playing a different position than Matthews.

How much help did CM3 have? In his first 4 seasons he had 42.5 sacks, and most of that time he was facing consistent double teams because he was the only real pass rusher we had. And his impact went far beyond his sack total. He was generally disruptive in the backfield player after play whether he got all the way home or not.

Once again, every other player I mentioned was double teamed most of the time as well as disruptive in the back field as well. Swilling won't make it to the HOF anymore, so if he's the only one Matthews compares favorably his chances are slim as well.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you have specific examples of them all doing that or are you speculating? BTW, most of the guys he was comparing play a different position.
Here is an example of my previous statement in question:

January 18, 2015

To refresh your memory that was the date of the nfc championship game, Packers vs Seahawks. Late in the 4th quarter with a trip to the Super Bowl on the line, the supposed defensive leader of the Green Bay Packers, Clay Matthews, was no where to be found on the playing field. He is on the sidelines spectating, occasionally seen refreshing himself with a squirt from a water bottle. After the game reports begin to surface (which can easily be found with a google search). Long story short Matthews either took himself out of the game for a “breather”, or he was being checked for a possible concussion, although no medical staff is seen checking him during this hiatus. It was also reported he had suffered another mystery injury that he was able to overcome and take the field again in overtime after the Seahawks had proceeded to tie the game in his absence.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Here is an example of my previous statement in question:

January 18, 2015

To refresh your memory that was the date of the nfc championship game, Packers vs Seahawks. Late in the 4th quarter with a trip to the Super Bowl on the line, the supposed defensive leader of the Green Bay Packers, Clay Matthews, was no where to be found on the playing field. He is on the sidelines spectating, occasionally seen refreshing himself with a squirt from a water bottle. After the game reports begin to surface (which can easily be found with a google search). Long story short Matthews either took himself out of the game for a “breather”, or he was being checked for a possible concussion, although no medical staff is seen checking him during this hiatus. It was also reported he had suffered another mystery injury that he was able to overcome and take the field again in overtime after the Seahawks had proceeded to tie the game in his absence.

Come on Mike! You of all people should be aware.....his pad level wasn't high enough and he suffered a groin injury!

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is an example of my previous statement in question...

You didn't answer my question. I was specifically asking for examples to support the following: "those guys stepped up and made the play that took the game over numerous times throughout their careers."

BTW, Matthews has done his share of that as well, most recently in Cleveland last December.

Here's some more, particularly numbers 10,9,5,3 and 1.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It reads like you think that line is pretty thin. I'm sure you can't mean that Spriggs is almost on a level with Bakhtiari, nor that Cleveland has almost been on a level with any other team, so you you elaborate a bit?

D

Deleted member 6794

Half of the guys you compared him to played different positions too.

All of the players I listed either were or still are edge rushers. It doesn't matter if they mostly line up with a hand in the dirt or not.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You didn't answer my question. I was specifically asking for examples to support the following: "those guys stepped up and made the play that took the game over numerous times throughout their careers."

BTW, Matthews has done his share of that as well, most recently in Cleveland last December.

Here's some more, particularly numbers 10,9,5,3 and 1.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Wow, I am glad you shared this. I almost forgot that he was a GREAT player.

H

HardRightEdge

Brooks was an off-ball linebacker playing a different position than Matthews.
Yeah. He does has some numbers.
  • 25 INTs
  • 24 forced fumbles
  • 7 defensive TDs
  • 84 passes defended
  • 1710 tackles
A guy does not make All Pro 5 times and Pro Bowl 10 times for nothin'. It also helps to have seen him play.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You ever notice how much the director of every broadcast really likes him?
Compared to other defense players, they show him a lot before the snap!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You ever notice how much the director of every broadcast really likes him?
Compared to other defense players, they show him a lot before the snap!
Why wouldn't they? He is a recognizable name and face, doing ads for Businesses that advertise in the NFL. So yes, he is going to get airtime whether he is making a great play or stretching out his groin.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why wouldn't they? He is a recognizable name and face, doing ads for Businesses that advertise in the NFL. So yes, he is going to get airtime whether he is making a great play or stretching out his groin.
True.
Whenever I see him it makes me wanna run out and buy pistachios.
Get cracken!

Puppydog31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He’s had some laughable games lately ...along with the rest of the defense..he won’t make it to canton.

Members online