Is AJ the next Ahman?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, and as much as I like Green, I would like something more for Jones. Namely, that we make some use of him toward winning a Super Bowl, something that we couldn't do with Green.

Green was my favorite Packer player but I always want the next guys to beat him. I had a Bears fan friend tell me he hoped Matt Forte wouldn't be as good as Walter Payton because Walter was his favorite player of all time. I want every Packer player to be better than the guy he replaces. i know its not realistic but it just makes sense. If we have the best QB ever right now I want the next one to be even better and I want him to pale in comparison to the guy who takes over for him.

The important thing is Aaron Jones, seems to know how to "fall forward" and he has the quickness and vision to find and burst through the hole AND he can catch.

We haven't had anyone like that since Ahman...

Ryan Grant couldn't catch
Starks wasn't a starter
Eddie Lacy couldn't catch or stay in shape
Ty is more of a 3rd down back

WIMM beat me to it but I don't think Lacy was that bad catching passes. I think it was more of a case of we just didn't throw to him.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Sarcastic only about being better than Jordy, but he's obviously better than Hutson, Lofton, and Sharpe.
Well DUH! One is dead and the other two retired last millennia.
What about Billy Howton? ;)
He retired back then also.
:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

I would hope that any college starter, even in D3, is better than a dead guy or three old guys that retired 25-50 years ago.
:roflmao:

H

HardRightEdge

He retired back then also.
:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:
Yes, in 1963. At that time he was the NFL all-time leader in catches and receiving yards, passing Don Hutson. From what I can tell he's still living. Bring him back off the street? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Sad that he isn't in Canton yet. Good player on really bad teams.
Noted in his Wikipedia page, he was president of the players union in 1958 and was a major factor in the establishiment of the players pension fund. I can't imagine he was very popular among NFL owners and management which may be a factor in his not getting into the Hall, not unlike "Instant Replay" being held against Kramer.

D

Deleted member 6794

WIMM beat me to it but I don't think Lacy was that bad catching passes. I think it was more of a case of we just didn't throw to him.

Actually Lacy was targeted 99 times during his first two seasons with the Packers when he was still in shape. He caught 77 passes for 684 yards over that span.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually Lacy was targeted 99 times during his first two seasons with the Packers when he was still in shape. He caught 77 passes for 684 yards over that span.
So ...he not only could catch... but he did..... It seems like that is one of the things misssing in the current offense. I know Jones has dropped a couple of balls that he should have caught, but I really would like to see more planned passing plays to the running back. I think part of the problem is that they need to do it more to get better at it... Even Rodgers looks uncomfortable throwing those... he needs to practice it as well... ditto for the offensive line.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So ...he not only could catch... but he did..... It seems like that is one of the things misssing in the current offense. I know Jones has dropped a couple of balls that he should have caught, but I really would like to see more planned passing plays to the running back. I think part of the problem is that they need to do it more to get better at it... Even Rodgers looks uncomfortable throwing those... he needs to practice it as well... ditto for the offensive line.
Agreed and I think that was the plan for Monty, but defenses became well aware of it fast. Hopefully both Adams and Williams continue to develop their skills catching the ball, if Adams can perfect that aspect of his game.....look out!

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green and Jones are two different kinds of backs, however I think that Jones is the most explosive and dynamic back we've had since Green.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jones has more lateral movement at top speed; i.e., he can change direction in the box at full speed very well. Green could do that (though I don't think as well as Jones) but Green didn't need to because he was a much more powerful runner than Jones. Additionally, Green was a pretty good receiver which Jones needs to work on.

The one area that Jones will never approach Green is? Getting rid of Fred Vinson.

Reaction score
Not sure because if everyone caught the article about how AJ has blown away Alvin Kamaras rookie stats through the first 175 carries.

Aaron Jones absolutely benefits from D focus on Aaron Rodgers. But MM is finally figuring out that while the running game can open the pass, the reciprocal is often true.

We used lots of multiple TE sets last Sunday and even more AJ. It’s no coincidence that we were highly successful leading with Lance, Graham and Mercedes. Defenses will be forced to commit and adjust to stop our running game, right now we have just enough talent at TE to make them pay by reverting to some short passes to those same TEs who roll off into that 5-10 yard range.
We’ve been so focused recently on trying to press the passing attack to our depth of WRs (that’s a natural assumption with #12) we just all saw that our TE depth is very experienced and possibly just as dangerous if utilized properly to open the running game.

I stand by my earlier statement that IMO the key to continued running success (which leads to passing success) is getting more of our TE group on the field simultaneously. I’d much rather see 2 WRs - 2 TEs (than 4-0 or 3-1). There are only a handful of teams Defensively talented enough to cover both phases when employed properly. I’m tired of hearing how Mercedes made his second catch of the entire season! (35 yards I might add!)

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team always has a plan later in the season. I think the "learning" phase lasted longer this season because of basically all knew pass catchers other than Adams out there much of the year and a QB that couldn't practice with them. RB's were the same, but it's still a passing league and we still have Rodgers. But as we start to get into the later half of the season, the players are more dialed in. The coaches know what has worked, what hasn't, and they always coach for the end of the season. They aren't a play by play staff like fans are, they coach for the big picture. which is why you'll still see the WR screen go for 2 yards, but you just won't realize the bigger play it set up later. When this offense starts going, everyone is going to think they suddenly just figured out they had TE's on the team or that Rodgers can throw to the middle of the field. They're going to think MM just realized AJ and Williams can run the ball or that passes can actually go to a RB.

I think it's just going to be a culmination of what they've been coaching for, the learning curve for the youth and a QB that is getting healthy and can practice myself. Whatever the reasons, I think the offense is going to look different in the coming weeks, which should make most of us happy.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No he's the next Aaron Jones, as for durability me thinks that one season of injuries isnt quite enough to tag a guy with injury prone. Yeah he's a bit smallish but the thing is he doesnt take a lot of big hits, seems like he's always slipping off of tackles and avoiding the worst of his impacts.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not labeling him as injury prone either. BUT, 1 season where he missed pretty much the same amount of time he was actually on the field doesn't scream durability. 1 season, yes, and then he missed pretty much all but a week or 2 of training camp with another injury and then was suspended. He may very well prove to be a durable back, as you said, he has a way of not taking direct blows and is pretty slippery, but considering his short history, he's not someone I just say, "screw it, he's the bell cow" and go either.

Matt39

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree Green was faster than AJ, but from what I've seen AG "world class speed" is a myth, his fast 40 time was an unofficial hand timed 40 at a pre draft workout, his combine time was 4.44, fast but nothing world class.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree Green was faster than AJ, but from what I've seen AG "world class speed" is a myth, his fast 40 time was an unofficial hand timed 40 at a pre draft workout, his combine time was 4.44, fast but nothing world class.
for a 6 foot 220lb RB it's better than average that's for sure. Compare to AJ, Green had "world class" speed. In any class Green had great speed for RB's. Sure there would be a couple guys ahead of him most years, 1-2, maybe 3. But there were a lot of guys behind him. He was faster than your average DB on the field with about 20-30lbs more lbs of muscle and a lot more strength.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could argue that minutiae all day. There were questions surrounding Bo Jackson’s 40 time as well... but nobody is saying he wasn’t fast lol. The point is that the statement was made that Jones is faster than Green was right after a game where Jones was run down from behind. Pursuit angle notwithstanding... Jones was not running faster than the Dback that caught him. Ahman Green was a lot faster than Jones that is the only real point that matters in this discussion.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hopefully both Adams and Williams continue to develop their skills catching the ball, if Adams can perfect that aspect of his game.....look out!

Adams is already pretty good at catching the ball, pretty sure that's why the Packers have him listed as their #1 receiver :whistling:

ColoradoPacker51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahman is my favorite packer of all time, and the reason I became a packers fan. I think Aaron Jones is the best back we’ve had in awhile, possibly since ahman. But they are two completely different runners. Ahman was a patient, zone running back, who had the burst, speed, vision, and toughness to hit the hole, and get a positive play. Aaron I feel hits the hole much faster and quicker, and has that elusiveness. I haven’t seen as much of the power game from Aaron yet, but don’t feel he’s easy to tackle. Ahman was tough to bring down, and had the speed to out run players. Remember his run against Denver from the 2 yard line, I’ll always remember that play. Ahman had great hands as well, and was part of a great era for 1 headed running attacks with Preist Holmes, Shaun Alexander, Ricky Williams, LT, Jamal Lewis, Clinton Portis, who could all run and catch the ball very well, and we’re heavily used by their teams. I feel like the NFL is slightly going that way again, with 1 RB who can do it all, and Jones is that guy now. I am excited to see him get more opportunities, because Ahman dominated the GB backfield for 6 years. Jones needs to get that volume before he’ll get to the ranks of Ahman as an all time packer great.