Is AJ the next Ahman?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Ahman is my favorite packer of all time, and the reason I became a packers fan. I think Aaron Jones is the best back we’ve had in awhile, possibly since ahman. But they are two completely different runners. Ahman was a patient, zone running back, who had the burst, speed, vision, and toughness to hit the hole, and get a positive play. Aaron I feel hits the hole much faster and quicker, and has that elusiveness. I haven’t seen as much of the power game from Aaron yet, but don’t feel he’s easy to tackle. Ahman was tough to bring down, and had the speed to out run players. Remember his run against Denver from the 2 yard line, I’ll always remember that play. Ahman had great hands as well, and was part of a great era for 1 headed running attacks with Preist Holmes, Shaun Alexander, Ricky Williams, LT, Jamal Lewis, Clinton Portis, who could all run and catch the ball very well, and we’re heavily used by their teams. I feel like the NFL is slightly going that way again, with 1 RB who can do it all, and Jones is that guy now. I am excited to see him get more opportunities, because Ahman dominated the GB backfield for 6 years. Jones needs to get that volume before he’ll get to the ranks of Ahman as an all time packer great.

I vaguely remembered that run against Denver, so I had to relive it :) Ahman is everything you said, but have to say, that was a beautiful hole the Packer OL opened up and Ahman just did the rest!

Have to love the "Favre Butt Pat" of the Ref at the end! :) Not to turn this into another "Favre debate thread", but I do miss his energy on the field.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I don’t think so. Green was a different beast, there’s only a couple of RBs in the nfl today who can even compare.

Jones is super talented, but I’d like to see him surpass Lacy before we compare him to Ahman.
Jones definitely hasn't surpassed Lacy as of the present, but he has the tools and the potential to make Lacy an afterthought.

ColoradoPacker51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I vaguely remembered that run against Denver, so I had to relive it :) Ahman is everything you said, but have to say, that was a beautiful hole the Packer OL opened up and Ahman just did the rest!

Have to love the "Favre Butt Pat" of the Ref at the end! :) Not to turn this into another "Favre debate thread", but I do miss his energy on the field.

Haha you’re right there, that was quite the hole. I live and grew up in Denver, that’s what that one sticks out so much. Sure, we did have good O Lines with Ahman, but we had a great offense all together with Brett, Bubba, Donald, Javon. Some good talent. I really thought 2003 was the year when Ahman had over 1,800 yard rushing and we lost on that bull crap 4th and 26. Ahman was just a really good RB, and one of the best trades in Packer history.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

slap my hand, slap my hand, slap my hand, fine, I'll slap your ***

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones definitely hasn't surpassed Lacy as of the present, but he has the tools and the potential to make Lacy an afterthought.

I think people forget how much of a beast lacy was his first pair of seasons here. Jones has been flashes and pops, but he hasn’t shown he can consistently be a back the offense can lean on through a season like Lacy was.

He has the talent to surpass lacy, but until I see the consistency through an entire season and he improves his pass catching, he’s not better than lacy imo.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I think people forget how much of a beast lacy was his first pair of seasons here. Jones has been flashes and pops, but he hasn’t shown he can consistently be a back the offense can lean on through a season like Lacy was.

He has the talent to surpass lacy, but until I see the consistency through an entire season and he improves his pass catching, he’s not better than lacy imo.
I think you and I are on the same page. At this point, he isn't better than Lacy. But again, he has the tools and skills necessary to surpass him. To your point, he has to prove that he can be consistent and provide a considerable workload to get to that point.

Jones' upside is much greater than that of Lacy's upside at the time, in my opinion. Lacy was a bruiser. A guy that defenses didn't want to have to bring down especially in cold temperatures. And he had some deceptive speed, but nothing like what Jones possesses.

Jones adds a totally different dimension and more potential for a dynamic playmaker out of the backfield.