Game 9 - Studs and Duds - Pittsburgh

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I would be good with tanking the season and drafting MH,Jr. You can show improvement and work toward building the team without putting the most points on the board.
The concept of "tanking" appalls and offends me. It's a tactic for perennial losers. I want my team to have no part of such a tactic. Play the season out hard. The kids will take their lumps but hopefully can win some on the back end to give them confidence going into next season. The coaching staff needs to double down on teaching these kids the proper techniques and work habits.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did, the staff has talked about how they instituted a different snap count or signal and it failed. Deguara and the other flanker and more didn’t move at all because they didn’t know it was snapped till it was too late
The link below has a 10 second clip of the play:

I re-watched the PAT block. The first thing that I noticed was that Pittsburgh had four on the left and six on the right side. I'm no expert but we should have known that any blocking attempt was coming from that side. (Note: I am referring to left and right as we can see it on the screenshots below)

The next thing that I watched was to see if the rest of the Packers were also caught by surprise at the snap. All but three Packers had their heads turned to watch the ball snap. They all got off on time. Below is the moment that the ball is snapped. Most of our guys could see the ball, except for Nijman (#73) on the left, Musgrave at the left wing, and Deguara on the right wing. Nijman still moved when everyone else moved, so his lack of vision wasn't a problem.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Neither of the wings (Musgrave or Deguara) moved at the snap. They both were angled away from the ball. Musgrave slowly came out of his stance like a sloth, but mainly because the Steelers just stood up on that edge, not even attempting to cross the line of scrimmage. I would still like to see Musgrave on the balls of his feet, getting his body ready in case of a rush.

On the other side, Deguara was clearly napping or looking at the cheerleaders. Below is the moment just before Deguara starts to pick his elbows off of his knees. #20 Peterson is well across the LOS and building speed. A lot of football is already happening across the line, but not on the right edge.

Deguara said that his first job is to ensure that neither #23 or #51 get between him and Rasheed Walker. That should be his first concern, followed by Peterson coming around the edge. You can see below that Deguara never moved his feet. He lunged at Peterson and gave him a congratulatory pat on the back as he sped by for the block. Equally concerning is how badly Walker got blown backwards. He leaned back as he anchored, allowing all three defenders to get underneath him. He's the guy on the right doing his best Chuck Mercein impression from the Ice Bowl, both hands up in the air (but for different reasons). Bisachia needs to figure this out from a schematic standpoint. This side was overwhelmed by superior numbers and outplayed.

I'm not an IT guru, so I can't get rid of these "View Replies" bubbles. However, at this point you can see that had Patterson not block the PAT, our very own Rasheed Walker's nogging would have very likely blocked the kick. #23 from the Steelers also got between him and Deguara and would have had an equally likely possibility to block the punt. His hand was right in the path of the ball had Peterson not gotten to it.

I'm sure that an intelligent coach could find a few more holes in this play. That's what my untrained eye found upon further review.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, I'll get started on the research. Seemed like that sort of output was pretty common for him.
Agree. Sanders was a human highlight reel but if I had a choice, I'd take Emmitt Smith over Sanders any day.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd hire him as one, but interim I say nothing to lose - go with it!
I was impressed with an interview I recently saw. He tries to take it all into consideration. He has turned around the special teams. That blocked extra point has me scratching my head. Horrible, that we have another example of trying to use the "voice" to change something for everyone on the line of scrimmage when the whole stadium is screaming.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would you try a trick ST play on an XP kick? Trying to gain 5 yards? On a 52 yard FG try on 4th and 3 I would understand but on an XP?
I don't see what is at all "a trick" to snap the ball on a slightly different cadence. That honestly strikes me as smart and maybe people should do it more often.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok. Who's MFL? Maybe you meant MLF? Either way, why are is decisions such a big problem? Because he doesn't do you would do in Madden?
Some of MLF's decisions are head scratchers. From what I hear he squandered the end of the first half Sunday with his clock management? What happened to the jet sweep we used at times last year with Watson?

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had a very bad game. It happens. Doesn't mean we shouldn't draft a RB pretty early though. Rather that than hold on to Dillon jmo. And we really don't know what we have in Wilson. Evidently we think he's good or else he'd be on the practice squad.
Yes, Jones had a crappy game but he is the lone RB on this roster that can get yardage out of almost nothing when he is healthy. I do agree, we should draft a RB this spring on day 2.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, Jones had a crappy game but he is the lone RB on this roster that can get yardage out of almost nothing when he is healthy. I do agree, we should draft a RB this spring on day 2.
I don't know. I don't feel like he's having a health problem. I think it's an age problem. He's 29 in three weeks. That's when a lot of good RBs hit the wall.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know. I don't feel like he's having a health problem. I think it's an age problem. He's 29 in three weeks. That's when a lot of good RBs hit the wall.

This is true, he is fighting something which VERY few RBs run into and keep going at a high level.

Reaction score
He may not be the savior and certainly has not played very well post-injury, but he is still our best weapon on offense because of his speed, experience and versatility. I don't see any alternatives other than to get the ball in his hands more often than any other player on the roster.
That was another thing that was odd again. We were limiting our Running plays again.
Also Dillon was largely ignored in the passing game again, which is odd because he’s been very efficient in that respect.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They seem to have been shelved since the few times they ran it, they got stuffed.
And when you look at even the poor execution we have had with gadget plays so far this season why try it? Execute a few simple, vanilla plays. When we become a better, more mature group then try it. But we are not close.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And when you look at even the poor execution we have had with gadget plays so far this season why try it? Execute a few simple, vanilla plays. When we become a better, more mature group then try it. But we are not close.
It seems to me that Watson limps off the field more times than not after a jet sweep. IMO that plays into them not calling it also. Trying to keep him healthy.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It seems to me that Watson limps off the field more times than not after a jet sweep. IMO that plays into them not calling it also. Trying to keep him healthy.
They've done it with just about everyone. Lazard last season never made sense. He didn't show much wiggle or speed. Reed is OK at it. I'd use Jones or Wilson from a flanker spot TBH. Or even Nixon.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me this is one of the most massive questions of the 2024 draft....but it all hinges to me on whether or not Gute/MLF believe there is a WR in that room that an offense can be built around from a WR perspective. Do we have a bunch of guys we expect to be highly productive like a Cobb or James Jones or do we have that Nelson or Adams? If the answer is the first that none of our main four the inhouse believes will be that no doubt WR1 than I think the argument is there to draft a blue chipper in the first 50 picks. BUT you draft one it instantly changes that room and you run the risk of either pissing someone off and it becoming an issue or lighting a fire under them....that is likely Watson or Doubs. That is a coin flip decision that choose wrong you could be the catalyst for a locker room crumble or it could be what makes Watson wake up?

I have a lot of WRs I think I really like...but I personally have three what I would consider blue chip guys...you draft them they walk out game 1 as #1 and that is Harrison Jr, Coleman and Nabers.

Coleman would be a pretty cool fit because he and Reed were together at MSU with abysmal play in 2022...he tansferred and is SHINING at FSU with a better QB.
Is there a WR in this upcoming draft that will keep opposing DCs up at night? Is there a Jefferson/Diggs/Higgins/Hill, etc., out there for the taking in the top 10 this spring?
I fear Watson is made of glass. That poor guy has missed 10 out of 26 games so far in his career.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I more see them bringing in a veteran WR2 guy not a lofty draft pick. There are
a few who will be available

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They need drastic improvement on both sides of the line of scrimmage. Drafting a wide receiver in the long run won't help as much as that.

Members online

Latest posts