Game 3 - New Orleans - Studs and Duds

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary is deserving of so much. That locker room scene says a lot about his passion and the team's feelings towards him. A special kid for sure.

Absolutely. You hear the story of when staff said he could take the practice field? Guess he absolutely just broke down to those words. That man is incredibly passionate.

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
To be fair we weren't missing 5 all pro guys.

Jaire has only ever made the second team twice.
David Bakhtiari has made first team twice and 3x second team.
Elgton Jenkins has never made any level of all-pro team.
Aaron Jones has never made either as well.
Christian Watson of course hasn't.

For sure missing 3 of possibly our best offensive guys and a weapon that is physically a special specimen is a MASSIVE injury list offensively.

*Just noticed you said "all pro caliber players" not just all pro players. I'll leave my comment for those curious of historical record of those guys though, but not really any correction of a claim as you didn't claim they were. Apologies.
I thought Jones got 2nd team all pro after the 20 or 21 season?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Jones got 2nd team all pro after the 20 or 21 season?

Let me dig deeper...I only show Pro Bowl 2020 and touchdown co leader in 2019 for running backs.

Checked, these are the all pro running backs for the years:

2019 - McCaffrey, Henry, Cook and Chubb
2020 - Henry, Cook, Kamara and Chubb
2021 - Taylor, Chubb, Mixon, Cook and Gibson
2022 - Jacobs, Chubb, Barkley, Henry and McCaffrey

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Let me dig deeper...I only show Pro Bowl 2020 and touchdown co leader in 2019 for running backs.

Checked, these are the all pro running backs for the years:

2019 - McCaffrey, Henry, Cook and Chubb
2020 - Henry, Cook, Kamara and Chubb
2021 - Taylor, Chubb, Mixon, Cook and Gibson
2022 - Jacobs, Chubb, Barkley, Henry and McCaffrey
Ok thanks. Pro Bowl was it.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Awesome game! Best win in years!

Studs -Team Defense. Love's engineering of three 4th quarter scoring drives. Doubs, Gary, pass protection again.

Duds - penalties, penalties, penalties. Too many dumb penalties by guys that shouldn't be making dumb penalties. Coaching in the first half to include equipment manager and strength & conditioning staff. Love's accuracy. Rookie mistakes by almost all the rookies, especially Musgrave.
Be interesting to see where we rank through 3 games for penalties and penalty yardage. Might be near the top. Coaching staff has to do better. Way too many Unsportsmanlike and Roughness penalties for sure.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

As many have said...Love. His numbers still have not been particularly gaudy but he's getting it done (and I don't know how many drops his WRs have been credited with, but I feel like he's had a lot of catchable balls that were...not caught :p )

With guys like Mahomes or Rodgers in his prime or etc you always got the sense that they could create magic out of nothing at a moment's notice. I don't get that out of Love (YET), but don't get me wrong I am not holding that against him at this point. What I do get a sense of though is that he is a really formidable "rhythm" guy. He might not create something out of nothing but once he gets rolling and gets some momentum behind him he's going to be tough to stop.

That aside I have to give so much credit to this guy's mentality. Obviously he's been in the league for a few years but of course his starting experience is still very limited. Despite that you never at all are feeling like the moment is too big for him. Never seems intimidated or rattled. And I love this dude's competitive fire. The emotions after every big play or score, the fire after that last TD. And that is contagious I think. Despite having very little experience as being the formal "leader" of this team I come away feeling all the time like every guy out there would 100% go to WAR for Jordan Love.

Gary: Just go ahead and write this man a blank check. The sooner the better. He's only going to get more expensive.

A few other randoms:

I'm really quite pleased with our young pass-catchers. I'm excited to see Watson back and hopefully he can get a good consistent run of health because he was looking like a star in the making at the end of last year. Doubs more and more looks like he is quickly becoming Love's security blanket, his go-to guy. Reed has shown some great flashes and IMO has "star" potential in him too. I've been really impressed with Wicks, and Musgrave is quickly looking like a really legit option at TE.

Duds:

Penalties - we are still awfully sloppy in a number of situations. I believe we were the most-penalized team in the league heading into this game and I suspect we didn't improve that standing...

And it wasn't a huge issue this week, but I feel like LaFleur's clock management always feels a little bit suspect. It's just...I don't know how to describe it. It feels like he is never confident in making clock-management decisions, I guess.

Dillon...again. I know most teams can't really expect their RB2 to not be a big drop from RB1, but it's rough. IIRC Dillon through three games has roughly as many all purpose yards as Jones had in week 1... Maybe he is not being utilized in his ideal way, but he looks very replaceable at the moment. Really like the guy but if he wasn't a fan favorite I suspect he would be getting of criticism (more than already) right now.

All in all I can’t complain too much. We’re 2-1 and have been without some of our most important players thus far. If a few plays go differently or we have a couple guys healthy we’re looking at 3-0 right now which is probably better than most would’ve expected. That Lions game will be big!

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud:

The team showing up at 2:05 Central Time for a Noon Kickoff at home.

Stud:

The team showing up at 2:05 Central Time for a Noon Kickoff at home...AND WINNING THE GAME!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alontae made me truly kinda proud because I was high on that kid and really wanted us to take him Day 2 of his draft - even mocked him and said this:

Third Round Pick #73 - Alontae Taylor CB Tennessee 6'0' 199lbs

Fully admit some would not like this pick, and others will like it but say it is early for him...however he is my highest CB on the board and is higher on overall board than some guys that might shock folks...one being LB Leo Chenal. The first word that comes to mind with Taylor is PRODUCTION. Right out the gate in 2018 as a freshman this dude played and did so well...but most importantly when it came to PDs and coverage responsibilities he seemed to grow every single year...and in 2021 put up 60 tackles, 6 PDs, 1 FF and 2 INTs (one returned for a TD). Athletically he checks all the boxes eclipsing 6 foot for height, his arm length is a full foot longer than Jaire at 32.25, ran a 4.36 forty with a 1.53 10 yard split - and while he won't blow you away with his vertical it is respectable at 34.5 inches. His broad was excellent as well nearly hitting eleven feet....all that makes his RAS nearly 9.8. We have Jaire, Stokes and then essentially no one ready...Alontae brings in a guy that I argue is ready if needed as a teams' #2, but will be blessed to be our #3 and fills a real need in the secondary too good to pass on.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

As many have said...Love. His numbers still have not been particularly gaudy but he's getting it done (and I don't know how many drops his WRs have been credited with, but I feel like he's had a lot of catchable balls that were...not caught :p )

With guys like Mahomes or Rodgers in his prime or etc you always got the sense that they could create magic out of nothing at a moment's notice. I don't get that out of Love (YET), but don't get me wrong I am not holding that against him at this point. What I do get a sense of though is that he is a really formidable "rhythm" guy. He might not create something out of nothing but once he gets rolling and gets some momentum behind him he's going to be tough to stop.

That aside I have to give so much credit to this guy's mentality. Obviously he's been in the league for a few years but of course his starting experience is still very limited. Despite that you never at all are feeling like the moment is too big for him. Never seems intimidated or rattled. And I love this dude's competitive fire. The emotions after every big play or score, the fire after that last TD. And that is contagious I think. Despite having very little experience as being the formal "leader" of this team I come away feeling all the time like every guy out there would 100% go to WAR for Jordan Love.

Gary: Just go ahead and write this man a blank check. The sooner the better. He's only going to get more expensive.

A few other randoms:

I'm really quite pleased with our young pass-catchers. I'm excited to see Watson back and hopefully he can get a good consistent run of health because he was looking like a star in the making at the end of last year. Doubs more and more looks like he is quickly becoming Love's security blanket, his go-to guy. Reed has shown some great flashes and IMO has "star" potential in him too. I've been really impressed with Wicks, and Musgrave is quickly looking like a really legit option at TE.

Duds:

Penalties - we are still awfully sloppy in a number of situations. I believe we were the most-penalized team in the league heading into this game and I suspect we didn't improve that standing...

And it wasn't a huge issue this week, but I feel like LaFleur's clock management always feels a little bit suspect. It's just...I don't know how to describe it. It feels like he is never confident in making clock-management decisions, I guess.

Dillon...again. I know most teams can't really expect their RB2 to not be a big drop from RB1, but it's rough. IIRC Dillon through three games has roughly as many all purpose yards as Jones had in week 1... Maybe he is not being utilized in his ideal way, but he looks very replaceable at the moment. Really like the guy but if he wasn't a fan favorite I suspect he would be getting of criticism (more than already) right now.

All in all I can’t complain too much. We’re 2-1 and have been without some of our most important players thus far. If a few plays go differently or we have a couple guys healthy we’re looking at 3-0 right now which is probably better than most would’ve expected. That Lions game will be big!
Jones is a guy who simply can take it to the house at any place on the field. Dillon is not. I did see him break one against Tennessee in the snow his rookie year, however.

Last edited:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Despite all the dumb penalties, despite all the missing players, despite playing an undefeated team with a pretty good defense, the youngest team in the NFL found a way to own the fourth quarter.

That's a signature win. The evolution of this team continues.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those folks are pretty quiet now.
So, how long do we need to wait before commenting on a high draft choice? Obviously, no doubts about him now, but do we just sit on our keyboards for a couple of years?

Sort of like the last game. One can either refrain from commenting or addressing things like they are. Wonder how many folks would have been willing to bet on (or even give the Pack the benefit of the doubt) a win in the 3rd quarter.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So, how long do we need to wait before commenting on a high draft choice? Obviously, no doubts about him now, but do we just sit on our keyboards for a couple of years?

Sort of like the last game. One can either refrain from commenting or addressing things like they are. Wonder how many folks would have been willing to bet on (or even give the Pack the benefit of the doubt) a win in the 3rd quarter.

Commenting and giving a definitive conclusion are two different things.

The fact is that when ignorant fans decide they don't like a pick, they get all up in their feelings and rage post, declaring the player a bust immediately. Then if the growth curve is slow for the player, they confirm their bias. Then if the player actually breaks out, they fade away like Homer into the hedge.

It's fine to not like a pick. Maybe they didn't see the fit, the need, or didn't like the player in college. But someone acting like they know how the pick will turn out before the player has even had one season of football is asinine. They're morons.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Commenting and giving a definitive conclusion are two different things.

The fact is that when ignorant fans decide they don't like a pick, they get all up in their feelings and rage post, declaring the player a bust immediately. Then if the growth curve is slow for the player, they confirm their bias. Then if the player actually breaks out, they fade away like Homer into the hedge.

It's fine to not like a pick. Maybe they didn't see the fit, the need, or didn't like the player in college. But someone acting like they know how the pick will turn out before the player has even had one season of football is asinine. They're morons.

Could not have stated it better.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I would wait at least a year or two before I would pronounce someone a bust.

You can comment earlier, of course, but then you run the risk of looking very, very foolish. If you're fine with that. then proceed with all haste.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How foolish would it have been to be upset, after two years, with spending the #12 pick on a guy with Gary's production? Also, of course, something like "bust" has to keep in mind, like AJ Hawk, that a competent player drafted really high is certainly not the standard we're looking for. But at least those dissatisfied with the Gary pick after two years didn't (subjectively) look like morons or very, very foolish people.

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
How foolish would it have been to be upset, after two years, with spending the #12 pick on a guy with Gary's production? Also, of course, something like "bust" has to keep in mind, like AJ Hawk, that a competent player drafted really high is certainly not the standard we're looking for. But at least those dissatisfied with the Gary pick after two years didn't (subjectively) look like morons or very, very foolish people.
Depends, some people look like morons or fools on a pretty regular basis imo. I chalk it up to lack of keyboard discipline.

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol, you sound a lot like Wimm.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Imagine a healthy Packer team:

Offense: Bahk, Jenkins, Jones and Watson

Defense: Jaire, Stokes

I know, injuries are a part of the game, but being 2-1 with what I would call having very key pieces out in all 3 games, is more than I thought this current team is capable of.

Good News: None of those injuries are season ending, so if somehow the Packers can get healthy and stay healthy, this 2023 team could actually get scary, especially if the offense keeps improving/developing and the defense is legit.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Some more under the radar studs for me were Rasul Douglas, Musgrave (his ability to extend the field changes how the defense can defend the offense) and the rookie kicker. The Saints veteran kicker missed the game winner and our rookie kicker made every kick we needed him too.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
New Stud: from the Saints Bryan Bresee

He gets the creativity award for grabbing the towel from our long snapper's butt, and almost hitting the game-winning PAT kick. I like the moxie:
Would have been interesting HAD that towel hit the ball and it sailed off course.

Can you throw your own towel, helmet or a shoe at the ball? :coffee:

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, low blow. :) Seriously, though, what in my post isn't true, is argumentative or otherwise objectionable. Did YOU see what you wanted to in the first two years of Gary after using the #12 pick?
I saw continued improvement and good things being said about him from the coaching staff.
I guess I'm going to have to again clarify my position on rookies and draft picks. I don't want to see what we're seeing this year, which is too many rookies and 2nd year players playing too many snaps. I do not want my GM drafting a player to fill a starter position currently needed. That's what free agency is for. I want my GM drafting the best available talent that fits the team's concepts.

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It just reads exactly like something Wimm would write. He was a firm believer in drafting for the moment.

Members online

Latest posts