Game 9 - Studs and Duds - Pittsburgh

PackerBacker4210

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even bigger error than the drops...catching the pass behind the LOS with 52 seconds left in the game, and then running to the middle of the field for no gain instead of sprinting for the sideline. Cost the Packers over 20 seconds on the clock. Love would've had 4 plays from the 16 at the end instead of just 1. Rookie mistake by a 7 yr vet leader.
Yes I couldn’t agree more with that. I also think it speaks to our coaching. I know he has a good record but I don’t think he is capable of coaching up an okay quarterback. Even with Rodger’s his play calling left a lot to be desired

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
duds: Jones, run D
studs: Both O tackles played well in protection, Reed, Nixon, Pittsburgh tackling
note: take away Dillon's 40 yard gain and he did not do much

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I couldn’t agree more with that. I also think it speaks to our coaching. I know he has a good record but I don’t think he is capable of coaching up an okay quarterback. Even with Rodger’s his play calling left a lot to be desired
Matt called out Jones for that

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I bash Myers, he didn't play too bad. Walker was ok..Tom struggled some.
Joe Barry still needs to go! 1st & goal at the 2..what does do? Puts in 2 dline against a 6 man oline. No team..no matter how good they are would be able to stop them from scoring with that boneheaded play call!

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Even bigger error than the drops...catching the pass behind the LOS with 52 seconds left in the game, and then running to the middle of the field for no gain instead of sprinting for the sideline. Cost the Packers over 20 seconds on the clock. Love would've had 4 plays from the 16 at the end instead of just 1. Rookie mistake by a 7 yr vet leader.
You're right. That was a terrible mistake he made right there. He ran hard today but on many of his runs had bad blocking.
Pittsburgh was laying the wood to him. They are tough tacklers.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs- Wicks and Reed. Rookie receivers are at least showing progress and contributing.
Nixon- wish all his teammates had his effort every week.
Duds- D line got gashed and pass rush was anemic
Jones- forgetable game
Watson- can't live with speed alone. With an inaccurate qb, he needs to make contested catches.
Love- accuracy is still hurting and he has to stop the late interceptions.

Reaction score
Tom/Walker played decent. Tom did have 2 penalties though, which is a focus now.

Runyon had another lackluster performance. He gets tossed around too easily for an experienced veteran. It’s almost like both Newman and Runyon regressed some. I guess it’s starting to show up that they are medium floor (or serviceable guys) but their ceilings are lower.
Myers seems like he’s no longer our week link. If I could choose 2 sure upgrades on our OL, I’d go LT,RG. I think Nijman is a good 6th OL, but I see Walker as nothing past being a OK backup LT.

We also need a better blocking TE. Our Run game has suffered regular because our combined talent level TE/OL is substandard. The Steelers RB’s would travel 5+ yards before being touched on many plays and just schooled our DL. On 3rd n 2 they’d run up the middle for 11 yards.

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You thought he would have learned from costing GB the NFCCG vs. TB.

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
duds: Jones, run D
studs: Both O tackles played well in protection, Reed, Nixon, Pittsburgh tackling
note: take away Dillon's 40 yard gain and he did not do much
He ran hard all day just like Jones. Don't know why you'd want to take away his best play of the day. You going to take away Reed's best play?

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like what I saw from Love today. His processing is adequate, but he's got some Farve residue on him.

He's got the right mentality, just lacks experience. He keeps going for homers instead of taking the singles.

Packers have a decent WR corp and Wicks keeps impressing with his progress from week to week.

The play calling isn't helping him, LaFleur seems unsure and it's the middle of the season...not good.

The defense has great players at every level and then some, Ballentine and Valentine, are great depth pieces...I wonder what compensation could be had for Stokes.

Joe Barry must go...he can't coach and he can't scheme...not wasting any more words on this guy...

O-Line should be the top priority for the draft and free agency, Love with an elite O-Line could be lethal.

Give Gute the boot...using the media to speak on contracts during the season lacks tact...

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom/Walker played decent. Tom did have 2 penalties though, which is a focus now.

Runyon had another lackluster performance. He gets tossed around too easily for an experienced veteran. It’s almost like both Newman and Runyon regressed some. I guess it’s starting to show up that they are medium floor (or serviceable guys) but their ceilings are lower.
Myers seems like he’s no longer our week link. If I could choose 2 sure upgrades on our OL, I’d go LT,RG. I think Nijman is a good 6th OL, but I see Walker as nothing past being a OK backup LT.

We also need a better blocking TE. Our Run game has suffered regular because our combined talent level TE/OL is substandard. The Steelers RB’s would travel 5+ yards before being touched on many plays and just schooled our DL. On 3rd n 2 they’d run up the middle for 11 yards.
Horrible TE run blocking. Running left is very inconsistent because of it. Lewis sealed off those LB's so well. We really miss that. We're suffering from too many TFL's in the running game.

AGreen2AJones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordan Love had 2 chances to win the game and whiffed both times.
This can't be understated enough. He just doesn't have it. Rodgers 1st year starting after being on the bench for his first few years wasn't perfect but was nowhere this inconsistent. And the offensive rules are so much better than 15 years ago

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Notice how Tomlin used his timeouts in both halves to make sure his team knew what they had to do. He is a good coach. 6 wins with a very average QB.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
This was a weird game for me. Obviously I don’t want to lose, but #10 actually showed some really good growth. We improved our draft position and Love n Co kept us in this game down to :03 seconds. It was a very close game actually. Anyone could’ve won this game, which tells me another year of growth and 1 or 2 upgrades on OL and 1 more good Receiving threat would start winning some close games.

Stud:
Love’s led Offense putting up 400 yards of Offense on the Road.
Nixon
Reed

Dud:
Kicking team.
That missed Xtra Point forced us to go for it on 4th down to close the game. A score of 20-23 and we would’ve had a shorter FG forcing OT. Once again all that will get pounded on is “Jordan Love throws 2 INT” by those on the outside who love to watch scores but not games. We had 2 Kickoffs nearly hit the Cone post. That should never happen, much less on consecutive Kickoffs.

Run Defense.
Allowing 200+ again to a lackluster Offense is unacceptable. 2 iDL on a goal to go?? That should’ve been 4 DL shoulder to shoulder.
At one point I barely recognized any starting DB’s names. It was like our scrub team playing. When Rudy Ford is your most experience DB you know you’re bad.
Defense as a whole allowing 17 points in the first half.
Wow missed the game but I guess this game summary tells it all.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was a weird game for me. Obviously I don’t want to lose, but #10 actually showed some really good growth. We improved our draft position and Love n Co kept us in this game down to :03 seconds. It was a very close game actually. Anyone could’ve won this game, which tells me another year of growth and 1 or 2 upgrades on OL and 1 more good Receiving threat would start winning some close games.

Stud:
Love’s led Offense putting up 400 yards of Offense on the Road.
Nixon
Reed

Dud:
Kicking team.
That missed Xtra Point forced us to go for it on 4th down to close the game. A score of 20-23 and we would’ve had a shorter FG forcing OT. Once again all that will get pounded on is “Jordan Love throws 2 INT” by those on the outside who love to watch scores but not games. We had 2 Kickoffs nearly hit the Cone post. That should never happen, much less on consecutive Kickoffs.

Run Defense.
Allowing 200+ again to a lackluster Offense is unacceptable. 2 iDL on a goal to go?? That should’ve been 4 DL shoulder to shoulder.
At one point I barely recognized any starting DB’s names. It was like our scrub team playing. When Rudy Ford is your most experience DB you know you’re bad.
Defense as a whole allowing 17 points in the first half.

Anyone ignoring these facts is too far buried in the sand to worry about.

Many of the folks that were screaming this was a quick and for sure L; won't even acknowledge the fact we just went on the road, put up 400 yards, Love made some freaking amazing touch deep balls, Love until the last throw hadn't made any terrible decisions (even the tipped INT was not a terrible decision and wasn't even a terribly thrown ball considering you were throwing it to a physical freak and gave him a chance to make a play).

I fail to understand the 2iDL call as well....we have some quicker smaller type guys like Brooks and even LVN....reduce LVN inside if nothing else and give the defense three down with one being a hybrid type AT LEAST.

Reaction score
He ran hard all day just like Jones. Don't know why you'd want to take away his best play of the day. You going to take away Reed's best play?
True.
I’ve come to realize this fan phenomena that we all do to some degree. Great lengths will be taken to diminish a particular player in order to preserve our position on said player. I guess we all do it, but eliminating the best play of the game to diminish a player is possibly the most desperate version of player disparagement. :roflmao:

Last edited:

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Came to make sure this was noted.
Stud: Whoever on CBS decided to show the NCIS commercial upside down. That was different.
I noticed that too. Wasn’t that NCIS set in Australia? Maybe it was symbolically upside down because Australia is on the “bottom” of the planet? That’s my guess.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True.
I’ve come to realize this fan phenomena that we all do to some degree. Great lengths will be taken to diminish a particular player in order to preserve our position on said player. I guess we all do it, but eliminating the best play of the game to diminish a player is possibly the most desperate version of player disparagement. :roflmao:
He was 9 for 70 so take away the 40 and he was 8 for 30 or just under 4 yds per carry. Not great, but not bad. Jones average 2.7 ypc. Take away his longest and it might be sub 2 ypc. He'll, take away Barry Sanders longest run per game and he would look rather average.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts