Cut Trevor Davis

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've had enough watching Davis call fair catches on returnable punts. On the Vikes second punt he left at least 7 or 8 yards on the field. Time to show his pansy *** to the curb!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've had enough watching Davis call fair catches on returnable punts. On the Vikes second punt he left at least 7 or 8 yards on the field. Time to show his pansy *** to the curb!
I think the field and the players running at him are going to look a heck of a lot different than to those who watch from the TV side view at home or the seats in those areas in the stadium.

OP
OP
BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The kids continues to call fair catches when there is nobody within 10 yards! I can't believe anyone would finds that acceptable. I don't care what it looks like to him. If he's eating the ball on punts nearly everyone else in the NFL would return he's simple not the guy for the job. He might as well finish out the season if his fragile hammy will allow it but we need a competent returner next year.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The kids continues to call fair catches when there is nobody within 10 yards! I can't believe anyone would finds that acceptable. I don't care what it looks like to him. If he's eating the ball on punts nearly everyone else in the NFL would return he's simple not the guy for the job. He might as well finish out the season if his fragile hammy will allow it but we need a competent returner next year.
Why are you so angry at a fair catch? There’s a lot more serious things wrong with this team then a fair catch. Trevor has no room for error did you see what happened to Monty? Put the ball in your Qb hands. I’m fine with a fair catch. I sure wish Tramon would have fair caught it.

OP
OP
BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why are you so angry at a fair catch? There’s a lot more serious things wrong with this team then a fair catch. Trevor has no room for error did you see what happened to Monty? Put the ball in your Qb hands. I’m fine with a fair catch. I sure wish Tramon would have fair caught it.
Why? Because every yards counts. If all you want is to make sure the ball gets in your QBs hands then why bother with a returner at all? For those of us who remember good punt returners, a good returner can swing the entire game in your favor. Davis isn't that guy and I'm sick of him leaving yards on the field. Not sure why so many people seem to Jones for the guy. Most worthless player I've seen since Jamal Reynolds.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a very poor decision again. He had a nice return his first one, and I think he left more than 7-8 yards out there. Instantly thought the same thing, WTF is he fair catching it for? In only a handful of opportunities this season, it doesn't look like he's any different than last year. He'll have some nice returns because he's fast, but he's not that smart back there. I'm just glad he didn't do it at the 3 again.

OP
OP
BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a very poor decision again. He had a nice return his first one, and I think he left more than 7-8 yards out there. Instantly thought the same thing, WTF is he fair catching it for? In only a handful of opportunities this season, it doesn't look like he's any different than last year. He'll have some nice returns because he's fast, but he's not that smart back there. I'm just glad he didn't do it at the 3 again.
True. Those fair catches inside the 8 were frustrating. I was being nice by saying 7-8 but indeed if he could have made 1 or 2 guys miss he could have been in position for a big one.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? Of all things that suck with this team Davis is the one you're looking to cut? Maybe they should put Tramon back to return kicks... Oh wait, he's slow and fumbled the game away.. Or nsybr bring back Ty.. Oh wait he fumbled the game away too..

I really don't care for him either, but when he's out there vs anyone else they've put in besides him, it's a huge difference in talent.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why? Because every yards counts. If all you want is to make sure the ball gets in your QBs hands then why bother with a returner at all? For those of us who remember good punt returners, a good returner can swing the entire game in your favor. Davis isn't that guy and I'm sick of him leaving yards on the field. Not sure why so many people seem to Jones for the guy. Most worthless player I've seen since Jamal Reynolds.
I don't remember which game it was. Maybe Seattle.
Anyway, we got an awesome return. Only it had to be called back. Why? Penalty.
There are so many variables that can kill a good return.
Such as getting creamed after running only two yards after the catch.
So even if he did catch it and get a good return only to be called back because of penalty or stopped real soon, you still wouldn't be happy.
I have no problem with fair catches. It's a judgement call and unless you've been in those shoes seeing a defender running full speed at you, I don't see how one can judge.

OP
OP
BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember which game it was. Maybe Seattle.
Anyway, we got an awesome return. Only it had to be called back. Why? Penalty.
There are so many variables that can kill a good return.
Such as getting creamed after running only two yards after the catch.

That's two yards that helps the team. That's part of the job.

So even if he did catch it and get a good return only to be called back because of penalty or stopped real soon, you still wouldn't be happy.
I have no problem with fair catches. It's a judgement call and unless you've been in those shoes seeing a defender running full speed at you, I don't see how one can judge.

You judge the same way you judge every other position. You do it by watching how the rest of the returners in the NFL perform and make the comparison.

BTW, that was a kickoff return that was called back by penalty last week, not a punt return.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's two yards that helps the team. That's part of the job.

You judge the same way you judge every other position. You do it by watching how the rest of the returners in the NFL perform and make the comparison.

BTW, that was a kickoff return that was called back by penalty last week, not a punt return.
Meh.
I'm not worried about it.
IMO there are plenty of other factors of why we are the GB Suckers this season.
To each our own.

Reaction score
Interesting. I was just thinking he’s been really good at punt coverage. He’s been Johnny on the spot since coming back from injury. I’ve seen him either be the first guy on the scene or make a tackle before anyone else was within 5 yards several times last Sunday.

He’s also come close to breaking a couple returns. He looks the part to me, possibly a little rusty after missing half this season but he has a little swag and exceptional speed once he makes them miss. He seems to have solid hands and makes good cuts, even when there’s no lanes he’ll scramble forward for 5-10 yards verses these guys in the past running 29 yards sideways and losing 4 yards! Thank You The Will Blackmon experiment. Zook is the one who obviously doesn’t have any conception of how detrimental ST fouls are to field position.

I’m far more concerned with our poor discipline on ST erasing several stellar returns by him.

Maybe there’s truth to him fair catching more than necessary..IDK. Is there any comparison info with his counterparts that we have concerning that?? Just playing devils advocate here.

I’m with the group that said we have bigger fish to fry than picking on Davis. Just keep him away from the Airport and I’ll be fine ;)

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Davis is garbage. I've seen him in person and he has a high school body. The guy is underdeveloped for NFL. Did I mention he is glass.

Another Thompson Pac 12 special.

Reaction score
Here you go: https://www.packerforum.com/threads/roster-predictions.79888/page-5#post-782939

He had about the lowest percentage of punts returned last year.
Good info thanks. I’d be curious to see how much experience the comparable returners have. I feel that’s an area worthy of comparing because most guys don’t peak at a position for a few years. Wasn’t last year his first full year as our #1 guy? I might be wrong here also? It could be premature to assume he’s peaked and on an immediate decline.

Allow me to say that it’s noticeable we often look for a player scapegoat for our teams problems whenever we’re not performing. In a performing year its likely were not even having this conversation.
As an example, I don’t think having Cobb returning punts would’ve changed the outcome of one game in 2018. MVS or Breeland could be an option but ones raw and the other has been fighting injury. Taking it a step further, if we took the position of replacing Davis I don’t feel in the short term it has any significant bearing on our punt return game. I’ve been watching our ST unit and the only other guy who’s been decent in the last several years was Micah Hyde and I sometimes wonder if he wasn’t overused at times and stretched too thin.
In general the biggest thing that sticks out to me as derogatory as far as ST are unnecessary and undisciplined fouls. I can think of at minimum 2 in recent history that erased Davis’ returns where he went pass the 50 yard line.. IMO his most recent one was a game changer because instead of starting in opponent territory we started inside our own 15 yard line and stalled and that was likely lost points in a close game. Davis had absolutely no fault in that, but yet his stat suffered for a foul that he had no part in.
theres also another side of ST were conveniently ignoring. The ability to play the opposite role of gunner or coverage guy. I’m watching Davis in his limited time this year he’s been one of our better cover guys and that has surprised me considering his previously noted small physical stature. For a guy that supposedly “afraid” to get hit.. he’s laid wood on opposing returners as recently as last week. That doesn’t fit the mold or smell test of the some others recent accusations of him being reluctant to play ball. Once a thief always a thief.. if someone has a character trait.. they generally don’t turn it off and on like a switch and even if they did they’ll be “had” sooner than later.
Just like recently, if we judge Aaron Rodgers by one facet of his game such as throwaways? We’d be severely in error of making a false generalization IMO. We can find fault with anyone on this team if we look hard enough.

I’m defending him and asserting that we need to give the guy the opportunity to improve before we pull a Casey Hayward and regret watching Trevor successfully field punts for a rival.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That’s a fine point. If you move forward 4 yards and fair catch a punt at the 23 yard line
And that both grossed and netted 40 yards..
Is that worse than backpedaling and then getting an 7 yard positive gain from where the ball is caught after a 53 yard boot at our own 12 yard line?
Let’s get the full array of stats on the kid before we point at him and label him the Unibomber! ;)

Last edited:

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's stop with the "THIS is the one thing you are pointing out?" argument. Please. EG had this on his mind and where do we go to offload such ideas? This beautiful site. I guess my question would be, is there a manual laying out which topics we need to hammer out first before we can get to TD and his fair catching? I don't know EG but I am guessing this is not the one issue he has with this team and its current predicament. If you don't want to comment on a special teams string then keep moving right along. Don't hammer a guy for pointing out a rather benign feeling he/she may have. Just saying...

Be good to one another and G P G!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think the field and the players running at him are going to look a heck of a lot different than to those who watch from the TV side view at home or the seats in those areas in the stadium.
While I agree with you, I would say you could use that excuse for most missed play "should have seen the field better". However, its the job of all players to play the game as they see it on the field and make quick decisions based on what they see, its what separates the great players. Davis is notorious for "not seeing the field" and open space and making fair catches when he shouldn't. Davis isn't the only one who has had issues on special teams and when you have multiple mistakes, penalties, etc by multiple players, I start looking at coaching. I also don't buy MM's excuse for Zook having to deal with injuries and new players for special teams. Well yeah, every team is dealing with that right now. These guys aren't making mistakes from never playing football or never playing together on special teams, they are making mistakes that IMO stem from poor coaching.

Fire Zook!

Members online

Latest posts